Labor Day Heat Wave

Well, I know Sporting California (formerly Arsenal) pulled their teams out of the Rebels tournament being held in Temecula (over concerns of the extreme heat.).

My older daughter had an ECNL game in Vegas a couple of years ago… Was 115° at game time. Had a few girls throwing up on the field. When I reached out to the ECNL to ask if there were any guidelines in place regarding excessive heat, they basically slapped me on the wrist and told me if I ever have a question in the future to ask my coach or club administrator.

Well, I know Sporting California (formerly Arsenal) pulled their teams out of the Rebels tournament being held in Temecula (over concerns of the extreme heat.).

My older daughter had an ECNL game in Vegas a couple of years ago… Was 115° at game time. Had a few girls throwing up on the field. When I reached out to the ECNL to ask if there were any guidelines in place regarding excessive heat, they basically slapped me on the wrist and told me if I ever have a question in the future to ask my coach or club administrator.

id gladly eat the tournament fees to avoid that . Opens up a 3 day weekend!

wouldn't be surprised if more teams did the same

I think it takes a while for parents to realize that they "can" say no to the coach's tournament suggestions. If enough parents say so, he can't enter a team in Norco during summer

National Premier Cup in Norco this weekend posted on their website that they will have a medical team on site that includes 4 EMT's...

Wow, makes me feel so much better! Sorry, but we aren't taking any chances....

Yup and Playground asphalt sizzles to 145 degrees in extreme heat waves. Parents demand school shade.

We paved over paradise and don't have the water for grass but at least some shade or trees would be possible with less consumption.

Back in my day school didn't start until Sept, too hot for august and no rooms had AC. Bungalows would be 100+ sweating sitting and they cancel glasses in those rooms because kids couldn't take the heat.

As a resident of Arizona I find this entire thread hilarious. I may have to show my daughter this for a good laugh. We have entire high school football teams in full pads doing daily practices after school at 4pm in this weather and have for decades.

As a resident of Arizona I find this entire thread hilarious. I may have to show my daughter this for a good laugh. We have entire high school football teams in full pads doing daily practices after school at 4pm in this weather and have for decades.

Explains a lot about what is going on over there then, doesn't it? ;)

It's not about being soft....or not being tough....

There is just no need to play 5 games in 2 days as a 11-12 year old..... for what? So the club can collect their $$$.

A practice or a game a day..... fine, 5 games...nah i'll pass.

I know how can California be so hot and still have so many snowflakes?

As I've stated previously, acclimation can play a big role in heat stroke. Hydration is important. Rest is important. There were 323 heat stroke deaths in Maricopa County last year. And while the chance of actual death is low, there is no question that it can be harmful in other ways. And for what? Another meaningless game in a meaningless tournament that you won't remember in a month? Is your kid's health worth it?

As I've stated previously, acclimation can play a big role in heat stroke. Hydration is important. Rest is important. There were 323 heat stroke deaths in Maricopa County last year. And while the chance of actual death is low, there is no question that it can be harmful in other ways. And for what? Another meaningless game in a meaningless tournament that you won't remember in a month? Is your kid's health worth it?

Pretty big assumption there, saying its another meaningless game. Maybe its meaningless to you, but who are you to say it is meaningless to anyone else. How do you know a kid will remember it in a month or not, crazy mentality to lump everyone into your own opinions. Its that type of thought that messed kids up... when some that were in charge decided it was best for kids to stay home from school for a year and a half. Crazy

Pretty big assumption there, saying its another meaningless game. Maybe its meaningless to you, but who are you to say it is meaningless to anyone else. How do you know a kid will remember it in a month or not, crazy mentality to lump everyone into your own opinions. Its that type of thought that messed kids up... when some that were in charge decided it was best for kids to stay home from school for a year and a half. Crazy
Yeah GLangevinito don’t lump everyone together, for many people youth soccer games are so meaningful that it’s totally worth risking their kids getting heat stroke. To each their own. Crazy!

Wow entire football teams? Must be nice being a tough guy in Arizona. Living the dream huh?

Wow entire football teams? Must be nice being a tough guy in Arizona. Living the dream huh?
If I add girls soccer teams would it make you feel better? With that said, multiple games over 3 days in wet bulb extreme days is silly and unnecessary. Training in hot weather, done correctly, is better than training at altitude. Pretty good studies out there..check it out.

If I add girls soccer teams would it make you feel better? With that said, multiple games over 3 days in wet bulb extreme days is silly and unnecessary. Training in hot weather, done correctly, is better than training at altitude. Pretty good studies out there..check it out.
This...

OMG the sky is falling .. the thermometer its... its.... at almost 90 <gasp>. We live this day in and and day out for years. It does not stop us from practicing or playing. Think of the teams in GA and TX. 90 degrees and 100% humidity. You make this sound like the heatpocalypse. It may be uncomfortable but with simple preparation and common sense and it is easily doable. So if your weather isn't absolutely perfect you should not play? You are seriously spoiled by your climate. Hope your teams never have to travel to Dallas, Atlanta, Phoenix or Houston in May or you just may melt.

This...

OMG the sky is falling .. the thermometer its... its.... at almost 90 <gasp>. We live this day in and and day out for years. It does not stop us from practicing or playing. Think of the teams in GA and TX. 90 degrees and 100% humidity. You make this sound like the heatpocalypse. It may be uncomfortable but with simple preparation and common sense and it is easily doable. So if your weather isn't absolutely perfect you should not play? You are seriously spoiled by your climate. Hope your teams never have to travel to Dallas, Atlanta, Phoenix or Houston in May or you just may melt.

Pretty myopic view considering this is amateur youth soccer we're talking about. We as parents do lots of things to mitigate risks for our kids. When I was a kid you didn't have a concussion unless you couldn't remember your name. Now we know more about brain injuries and limit headers for the littles. This is a good thing. Telling your kid to suck it up and quit whining is not the best parenting if there are real risks of injury. Every parent can make the decision that is right for their kid.

Back