Keeping up with the soccer Joneses

ivies do not give athletic, talent, nor merit (academic) scholarships - every kid that goes is smart. $ awards are based on financial need, period. There are calculators online. Here's one: https://college.harvard.edu/financial-aid/net-price-calculator

Uh, sort of. Personally knowing quite a few athletes at Ivies, smart is relative. And if the coach wants them - they get admitted, and they get enough financial aid (gifts and/or loans) to make sure they sign and attend.

ivies do not give athletic, talent, nor merit (academic) scholarships - every kid that goes is smart. $ awards are based on financial need, period. There are calculators online. Here's one: https://college.harvard.edu/financial-aid/net-price-calculator
I know two specific male soccer players both being recruited by Ivies and one 2023 grad does not and neither will the 2025 pay for anything.
I’ve seen them out recruiting lately hard… Harvard, Yale, Brown, Columbia, etc…

I was under the impression that offering NIL money was a violation of whatever the current rules are. Even so, the NIL money must come from businesses not under the school's control -- is that not right?
I personally know very little of the legalities of NIL but would walk very carefully however, I personally spoke with the coach of a playoff D1 school who offered a friend full scholarship plus NIL money. Sooo… must be legal? Not sure. I do know avoid agents like the plague as that is a sure fire and easy way to kill ncaa eligibility.

I personally know very little of the legalities of NIL but would walk very carefully however, I personally spoke with the coach of a playoff D1 school who offered a friend full scholarship plus NIL money. Sooo… must be legal? Not sure. I do know avoid agents like the plague as that is a sure fire and easy way to kill ncaa eligibility.
I believe that they can mention the possibility of NIL money now, but can't promise anything specific, such as a no-show job with a local car dealer.

If your goal is playing at the highest level available, you could ask a club: how many of their players have gone on to Galaxy or LAFC? A lot of boys started at TFA or Strikers and Sporting Arsenal and Beach on the ECNL side. There’s one offs here and there of course... also, by u17 year, most have been at either club at least 2-4 years. The gap is real and hard to jump in late.

Are most of these top MLS Next / ECNL clubs pretty supportive in getting their kids onto academies or are they more protective, wanting to keep the kids for their teams and not lose them to academies?

I believe that they can mention the possibility of NIL money now, but can't promise anything specific, such as a no-show job with a local car dealer.
I got a job with my deal back in the day. It was called, "word study job." I got $4.25 an hour to open the gym for three hours, do my homework in the gym and then lock the doors. Best job I ever had. I heard a full ride and NIL and was shocked!!!

Last edited:
Avoiding agents makes sense.

Agents are NCAA's biggest threat. Once agents can represent players they'll establish standard payment levels for players and work as a group in negotiations. Imagine a college "players union" where NCAA/Colleges have to negotiate with a single person/group that represents all college student athletes.

This is what's coming if NCAA keeps losing in court.

Are most of these top MLS Next / ECNL clubs pretty supportive in getting their kids onto academies or are they more protective, wanting to keep the kids for their teams and not lose them to academies?
If they aren’t, then you know the problem… if a player can and more up a level to further development then they should have the support of a coach that is developing them.
This is unfortunately not always the case which is why I reference the role of a connected trainer. Often the initial contact or referral can come that way.

I know a few parents in South OC that took out seconds and line of credits so they could participate (with their kid) and compete in Travel Soccer. $150,000 line of credit or pull cash out on a second is what is needed to take on the Soccer Joneses. This is high stakes gaming with the reward of a college acceptance at best for your child or a partial ride. 9 full rides for the boys and 14 for the girls with many schools with 30+ on the roster. Look what that Mr. Singer fella was charging the Joneses for his help and let's not forget about the Smiths.

1713972232752.png

In my experience, non-academy clubs benefit when they get players onto an MLS academy (because they get to brag about it to prospective parents) and so are supportive. Individual coaches may not be so generous...

Each college only gets 9.9 scholarships per year. Divided by 4, because 4 years to graduate.

So, your son's team is already larger than the total combined scholarship pool for UCLA, USC, UA, and ASU.

They are not all getting full rides.
Don't forget 25% of them are from other countries.

Each college only gets 9.9 scholarships per year. Divided by 4, because 4 years to graduate.

So, your son's team is already larger than the total combined scholarship pool for UCLA, USC, UA, and ASU.

Not to mention the entire state of TX only has 1 D1 Men's soccer team with the full 9.9 scholarships. (SMU)

Especially as only one of those four schools plays mens soccer

I went to an Ivy wanna-be (you know, the Duke/Chicago/Vandy/UNC type) and knew some kids at my school with full academic scholarships. They were incredibly smart. Probably did have a planet named after them or wrote a book or saved an African village. Many of them could have gone to Ivies but decided to come to my school due to getting a full ride.

On the topic of scholarships, I know D3 and Ivies all do not give athletic scholarships BUT I hear that they'll "find you" some scholarships if you do go to those schools via sports. Is this accurate? Does anyone know from experience or heard anything concrete on this?
Absolutely no scholarship, only need based aid even if you are truly special.
My close friend's son got a silver medal in Math Olympic. Accepted at some Ivies plus MIT but has to pay full tuition because the parents make about 250k (not a lot considering it will cost at least 75k/year). There is no relief for upper middle class.

Like many others already said, if you still think 5k/yr to play soccer is a lot, do not waste it on youth sports.
But of course, it is fun if you can afford it. just think of it like recreational/vacation budget.

My close friend's son got a silver medal in Math Olympic. Accepted at some Ivies plus MIT but has to pay full tuition because the parents make about 250k (not a lot considering it will cost at least 75k/year). There is no relief for upper middle class.

Like many others already said, if you still think 5k/yr to play soccer is a lot, do not waste it on youth sports.
But of course, it is fun if you can afford it. just think of it like recreational/vacation budget.
I was approached by a very rich parent about Yale back in the day. The Yale coach would come to our practices and was looking for excellent soccer players. I told the dad, "I can't afford Yale." The back story was back in 2017 I had someone rip me off in business and I lost my money big time. He knew my story and told me it would be "free" because I was poor. Yale coach was after two super smart players whose parents were so rich it would not hurt them. They wanted their dd at IVY and Yale was the place to be. I laughed because my dd wasn't interested in college soccer at the time. Thank God because that coach got indicted and pleaded guilty for taking bribes. I think it was over $1,000,000 in bribes.

This!!! If you don’t make nattys you even have more summer off as bonus - take a look at the best rosters D1 - lots of those great soccer recruits had long summers. Just sayin.

This is the party line - but it's just not universally the case. Ivies recruit desired athletes, and have the ability and the money to do so. It's not as overt, but it's too simplistic to state that they have nothing financial to offer. The selling point is usually the other way around - if they want a particular student athlete, there is nothing that should keep the student from accepting due to any financial reasons that the student may be affected by.

Back