Girls Soccer Culture--Bullying Pandemic of Negative On-Field Comments & Clique

MoSalah

BRONZE
Girls Soccer culture--Bulling Pandemic of Negative On-Field Comments & Clique:

My daughter tried out and joined a new club around 3 years ago. From day one of joining the new club--she has never been welcomed by multiple teammates on her side. These teammates previously made up the core of a prior team that broke away and joined the new club/team. These girls all go to the same high school--my kid, thank God, does not attend their school. When my kid plays during games--some of these girls yell at her if she makes a mistake on the pitch...you are offsides, she falls or gets injured--Get up type comments. This is some real nasty stuff. She is shunned in practice. Girls roll eyes at her. The problem is that the kids doing this are often wrong--the offsides was not offsides, or the offsides occurred because X player took 3 dribbles to get the ball off her foot when the run was being made...when it should have been 1 touch into space...on, and on, and on. And of course, none of any of the other girls make mistakes...never. My kid does her best to brush this off and has had several telephone and phase to phase calls with some of these girls about this...this has helped, but it does not solve the problem. She has talked to the coach--the coach sees entitled girls, and has made attempts to put some of this down, but it still goes on. My daughter has chosen to stick it out--at least for now, as she ignores these girls and does not want to let their actions and immaturity impact her--she sees her time on this side as temporary... Unfortunately, multiple girls have left the club and the team has such a bad reputation that other girls within a distance do not want anything to even do with the club--so we are losing out on potentially great players trying out for our side. My kid has experienced none of this on her U17 National Team side...a total night and day experience in camp and on the pitch. My kid practices with the boys side--the boys accept her as an equal--boys are positive...they play hard and they bang, but they have no hang-ups...

My sense is that we have a Pandemic on the Girls Side of bullying...Here are some line-item ideas/random thoughts:

--Is Soccer Culture Just a Mess--the term giving the "stick" exists in Soccer. This does not exist in any other men's sport that I am aware of...negativity is that--negativity. Whereas being positive during play, leads often to more good plays... Why is this? Too many low quality people in soccer? Where does this culture come from? Maybe I am just unaware, but do Girls Bully each other in all other sports?

--Mean girls and their cliques...insecure, anxious, trying to hold onto their playing position thru social pressure versus actually competing...

--Coach/Club permitting this garbage--If it is accepted = it is coached.

--Dumbass parents creating entitled children, and not knowing what sportsmanship is. Parents on the side-lines can, surely, hear this banter and should be correcting their kids before or after games-are they actually that dumb to see how poorly this shows on their kid (how about college coaches hearing this garbage--how does the kid look as a scout;

--Leagues being poorly run and not being in front of this...Negativity needs to be taken out of them game. US Soccer and the Leagues do nothing about this...there should be videos and parent, coach and club training about this.

I grew-up playing multiple sports, but not soccer. I have never have experienced this in any other sport.

I think the solution is Better Parenting and Awareness by Parents, Coaches, Players and Clubs....it is such a shame that things are often this way, when they can be so much better.

My daughter tried out and joined a new club around 3 years ago. From day one of joining the new club--she has never been welcomed by multiple teammates on her side. These teammates previously made up the core of a prior team that broke away and joined the new club/team. These girls all go to the same high school--my kid, thank God, does not attend their school. When my kid plays during games--some of these girls yell at her if she makes a mistake on the pitch...you are offsides, she falls or gets injured--Get up type comments. This is some real nasty stuff. She is shunned in practice. Girls roll eyes at her. The problem is that the kids doing this are often wrong--the offsides was not offsides, or the offsides occurred because X player took 3 dribbles to get the ball off her foot when the run was being made...when it should have been 1 touch into space...on, and on, and on. And of course, none of any of the other girls make mistakes...never. My kid does her best to brush this off and has had several telephone and phase to phase calls with some of these girls about this...this has helped, but it does not solve the problem. She has talked to the coach--the coach sees entitled girls, and has made attempts to put some of this down, but it still goes on. My daughter has chosen to stick it out--at least for now, as she ignores these girls and does not want to let their actions and immaturity impact her--she sees her time on this side as temporary... Unfortunately, multiple girls have left the club and the team has such a bad reputation that other girls within a distance do not want anything to even do with the club--so we are losing out on potentially great players trying out for our side. My kid has experienced none of this on her U17 National Team side...a total night and day experience in camp and on the pitch. My kid practices with the boys side--the boys accept her as an equal--boys are positive...they play hard and they bang, but they have no hang-ups...

My sense is that we have a Pandemic on the Girls Side of bullying...Here are some line-item ideas/random thoughts:

--Is Soccer Culture Just a Mess--the term giving the "stick" exists in Soccer. This does not exist in any other men's sport that I am aware of...negativity is that--negativity. Whereas being positive during play, leads often to more good plays... Why is this? Too many low quality people in soccer? Where does this culture come from? Maybe I am just unaware, but do Girls Bully each other in all other sports?

--Mean girls and their cliques...insecure, anxious, trying to hold onto their playing position thru social pressure versus actually competing...

--Dumbass parents creating entitled children, and not knowing what sportsmanship is. Parents on the side-lines can, surely, hear this banter and should be correcting their kids before or after games-are they actually that dumb to see how poorly this shows on their kid (how about college coaches hearing this garbage--how does the kid look as a scout;

--Leagues being poorly run and not being in front of this...Negativity needs to be taken out of them game. US Soccer and the Leagues do nothing about this...there should be videos and parent, coach and club training about this.

I grew-up playing multiple sports, but not soccer. I have never have experienced this in any other sport.

I think the solution is Better Parenting and Awareness by Parents, Coaches, Players and Clubs....it is such a shame that things are often this way, when they can be so much better.
Here's how you beat all the nastiness
1. Get better than the players in the clique ( you'll become the coaches favorite + the nonsense will slow down)
2. Start guesting with other teams (the group will hear about it + get nervous + the nonsense will slow down)
3. Lead by example and be positive

Why did you go out of your way to get involved with this team in the first place.

I could have written almost the same thing about my son's team. It starts around 13 and I have parent friends that have experienced the same thing in other boys sports. It's not unique to girls or soccer. My experience is that the parents are actually the problem.

Your kid is a National Team level player (what country? US?) and her club teammates treat her like crap? Damn.
Find a new team and burn that team to the ground on the way out.
(Not that being a top quality player should preclude one from being bullied. Even if your kid can't walk and chew gum- Her teammates should still treat her with respect). Seems like the coach is either oblivious or doesn't care.

But the more competitive a team- The more snark you are gonna get. Girls that are on a D1 soccer track (or greater) want to play. They want to win. They want to dominate.

Your kid is a National Team level player (what country? US?) and her club teammates treat her like crap? Damn.
Find a new team and burn that team to the ground on the way out.
(Not that being a top quality player should preclude one from being bullied. Even if your kid can't walk and chew gum- Her teammates should still treat her with respect). Seems like the coach is either oblivious or doesn't care.

But the more competitive a team- The more snark you are gonna get. Girls that are on a D1 soccer track (or greater) want to play. They want to win. They want to dominate.
My daughter’s experience is the opposite. The lower level team had a couple of mean girl issues. The higher level team does not.

Sample size of two, so don’t read too much into it. But not every strong team has kids treating each other like trash.

My kiddo has guest played with a team where one player was the DIVA on the team and she hated it. My kid never was the person being bullied on that team but she heard it and was upset hearing it. In high school soccer she came across the bullying too. In the end my kiddo put her head down and got to work. None of those girls in high school will be playing collegiate soccer but my determined kiddo will be.
It's a real shame that as women/girls we can't find more ways to build each other up, instead of tearing each other down. I think that is a society-wide issue. kind of like me me me all the time instead of thinking of others.

My daughter’s experience is the opposite. The lower level team had a couple of mean girl issues. The higher level team does not.

Sample size of two, so don’t read too much into it. But not every strong team has kids treating each other like trash.
Get back to us in your second or third year of ECNL.

Get back to us in your second or third year of ECNL.
Not us. It will be pizza parties and juice boxes until they turn 18.

Reality can kick me upside the head when the time comes, but you don't get to do it early. Until then, sunshine and unicorns!

What a sh!t team and coach. Join the competition and strive to beat these mfers. Life’s too short to put up with this kind of environment, especially for children. Demand more, everyone demand more. If we wimp out, we teach the girls to do the same.

What a sh!t team and coach. Join the competition and strive to beat these mfers. Life’s too short to put up with this kind of environment, especially for children. Demand more, everyone demand more. If we wimp out, we teach the girls to do the same.
Sounds like a bad coach allowing this to happen. A good coach created an environment where that type of activity is not allowed from the best or worst player. That is all on the coach.

Sounds like a bad coach allowing this to happen. A good coach created an environment where that type of activity is not allowed from the best or worst player. That is all on the coach.
Coaches are exacerbating it by creating hunger games style competition for playing time. The players know they are constantly being compared to their teammates and have to fight to keep their position/playing time. That doesn't exactly make for great relationships. Add in parents fueling the fire by bashing their teammates and the environment is prime for these issues. YNT camp call ups don't help when the players return and are suddenly too good for their team. MLS Next has had several issues with racial slurs being used in games by players.

It's a real shame that as women/girls we can't find more ways to build each other up, instead of tearing each other down. I think that is a society-wide issue. kind of like me me me all the time instead of thinking of others.

Agree completely! I've been working with my daughter to build her teammates up and always say positive things to them. I think there's a huge issue with parents and the kids are learning from some of the parents ways. My DD is only 9 and I've already come across 2 different moms that trash talk my DD to other parents. Another mom told me to get used to it because my DD is talented and many parents and players will be talking her down. I grew up playing and it was nothing like this.

Agree completely! I've been working with my daughter to build her teammates up and always say positive things to them. I think there's a huge issue with parents and the kids are learning from some of the parents ways. My DD is only 9 and I've already come across 2 different moms that trash talk my DD to other parents. Another mom told me to get used to it because my DD is talented and many parents and players will be talking her down. I grew up playing and it was nothing like this.
One of the great youth coaches taught me the most about the back stabbing that will go on in youth soccer, especially as your kids reaches their teen years. The customers all want one thing: A college deal for kiddo(s). I just wanted fair and honest soccer competition for the top players and no college deals. I'm serious. The pressure to get a deal is insane and with the last two years, the deals are not there and so the dealer offers some D2 school in the cold mountains back East. The stories I could tell are insane and not worth repeating. Good luck and whatever you do, watch what you say to parents. I would just sit at the end and keep your mouth shut.

Talent will always rise to the top.

Unfortunately parents will try to influence their kid into a starting position. I've seen it all... private's with the coach where parents are literally handing cash to the coach with the expectation their kid gets minutes or a specific position. Being the team mom/dad so a parent can get info before the rest of the team. Parents telling their kid not to pass to certain players. Parents cliquing up to try and exclude others. I've even heard of parents being "intimate" with coaches to get what they want.

Most parents of olders know exactly what I'm talking about. This is why when you go to an olders game parents generally side 5 feet apart + rarely talk to each other. Unfortunately with youngers you still have to deal with the nonsense.

Maybe it's just a California thing that parents/players act this way. Not really sure.

Talent will always rise to the top.

Unfortunately parents will try to influence their kid into a starting position. I've seen it all... private's with the coach where parents are literally handing cash to the coach with the expectation their kid gets minutes or a specific position. Being the team mom/dad so a parent can get info before the rest of the team. Parents telling their kid not to pass to certain players. Parents cliquing up to try and exclude others. I've even heard of parents being "intimate" with coaches to get what they want.

Most parents of olders know exactly what I'm talking about. This is why when you go to an olders game parents generally side 5 feet apart + rarely talk to each other. Unfortunately with youngers you still have to deal with the nonsense.

Maybe it's just a California thing that parents/players act this way. Not really sure.
A few years ago I was sitting in my truck waiting for my kid at Great Park. I was parked between a BMW and a Mercedes. Two dads are walking back with coach and one dad is chatting it up about how to improve the other boy's soccer skills. The coach was selling his private training to one of the dads and other dad was saying how it's improved his kids play and his play time. It takes pay to play to another level. After the chit and chat, the one dad who was selling the other dad yelled out to the coach, "don;t forget poker night this Friday."

A few years ago I was sitting in my truck waiting for my kid at Great Park. I was parked between a BMW and a Mercedes. Two dads are walking back with coach and one dad is chatting it up about how to improve the other boy's soccer skills. The coach was selling his private training to one of the dads and other dad was saying how it's improved his kids play and his play time. It takes pay to play to another level. After the chit and chat, the one dad who was selling the other dad yelled out to the coach, "don't forget poker night this Friday."
Fairly certain I know the Dads you're talking about.

When my DD was U-little (U10-U12) she played on a very competitive team. One of the girls, who was probably the best player I had seen at that age, was just a little monster. Her mother was even worse. Couple kids left the team because they couldn’t deal with her. Coaches did nothing to curb her behavior because of her talent.
My kid just kept her head down and kept grinding, Eventually she couldn’t take the girl or her followers any more and the team broke into two distinct cliques. I told my DD that the best way to deal with her was to go at her as hard as possible in practice. She did and eventually the tables turned and the girl complained to the coaches about my kid being “too physical with her.” I didn’t want to send my kid to practice every day looking for a confrontation, but in hindsight it worked out perfectly.
We moved to an ECNL team at another club for U13 and never looked back. The other girl and her mother eventually had a falling out with the coach and left the club and I’ve heard that her new situation also soured and the girl is again looking for another team. Club soccer is a small world and a bad attitude/reputation will follow you around.

When my DD was U-little (U10-U12) she played on a very competitive team. One of the girls, who was probably the best player I had seen at that age, was just a little monster. Her mother was even worse. Couple kids left the team because they couldn’t deal with her. Coaches did nothing to curb her behavior because of her talent.
My kid just kept her head down and kept grinding, Eventually she couldn’t take the girl or her followers any more and the team broke into two distinct cliques. I told my DD that the best way to deal with her was to go at her as hard as possible in practice. She did and eventually the tables turned and the girl complained to the coaches about my kid being “too physical with her.” I didn’t want to send my kid to practice every day looking for a confrontation, but in hindsight it worked out perfectly.
We moved to an ECNL team at another club for U13 and never looked back. The other girl and her mother eventually had a falling out with the coach and left the club and I’ve heard that her new situation also soured and the girl is again looking for another team. Club soccer is a small world and a bad attitude/reputation will follow you around.

<deleted a long screed supporting playing hard physical defense>

My wife has only yelled at one player in all her years watching club. The top team had a dirty little player ((parents that lie and cheat)) who kicked one of our players when the ref was not looking in the back of the leg. Dirty player laughed it off and my wife told her that was dirty and told the ref. It was awful. The same girl pulled that stunt again and this time she got caught and red carded. I told my dd to score goals and not retaliate and that's what she did. It was epic and we won it all :)

Back