Getting another player card to guest play?

There's a tournament coming up nearby and my kid's team is not playing in it.

Know some folks (coaches, TMs, parents) playing in the tourney and could possibly have opportunities to guest play on one of the teams due to shortage of players (sick, conflict, out of town, etc).

The rules section says as long as the player card is from the same governing body (US Club, USYS, etc) as what rest of the team is using, it's fine.

For this tournament, if needed, I can go get my kid's player card from the team manager.

But I had a question about future instances like this to make things easier: could we get a copy of the player card... so that the team could keep one... and we could also keep one for guest playing in the future?

Or... there can only be one player card and the team keeps it so it can "own your kid"? :p

Know some folks (coaches, TMs, parents) playing in the tourney and could possibly have opportunities to guest play on one of the teams due to shortage of players (sick, conflict, out of town, etc).

The rules section says as long as the player card is from the same governing body (US Club, USYS, etc) as what rest of the team is using, it's fine.

For this tournament, if needed, I can go get my kid's player card from the team manager.

But I had a question about future instances like this to make things easier: could we get a copy of the player card... so that the team could keep one... and we could also keep one for guest playing in the future?

Or... there can only be one player card and the team keeps it so it can "own your kid"? :p

I think it's more of a question of not having fraudulent player cards floating around out there. I once had a team my son left use his player card to play someone else who was a ringer.

The clubs own the card.... In my experience clubs/can are very reluctant or outright ban the issuance of duplicate cards so that the player does not just go guesting left and right. Proper protocol is typically get the OK of the coach to guest play, the player in possession of the card leaves the ability to circumvent that.

Asking one of my TM for my dd player's card was insane. TM would ask dumb questions and sort of interrogate me. Then would tell the GM Daddy of the team and then soon the whole team would know my dd was guesting and then the gossip would start. Dirty looks came next. There has to be a better way. Having our little ones play the game of soccer should be easy. I always told the coach first and some coaches were complete A Holes because they saw it as someone who could leave the soccer family for another soccer family.

Get your players card from the Manager and keep until your main team is playing in something.

Duplicate cards not happening unless the card is "lost". Of course always make a photo copy just as reference but that can't be used normally if they tournament only takes hard copies

The clubs own the card.... In my experience clubs/can are very reluctant or outright ban the issuance of duplicate cards so that the player does not just go guesting left and right. Proper protocol is typically get the OK of the coach to guest play, the player in possession of the card leaves the ability to circumvent that.
Cal South used to make an issue of their claim that the cards belonged to THEM, and would take disciplinary action against any coach or club official who refused to give a payer his card so he could become a guest player for another club or team.

On the other hand, Cal South may no longer be relevant.

The process (at least in NorCal), is that there is one (1) player card, that is required to be laminated, that is shown before gametime and accepted by the ref for each player. If it's not the original - the player shouldn't be allowed to play that day. The card is supposed to be the administrative enforcement that the right kid is playing on the right team - only the right kid, and only the right team. So if a team (typically the team mgr), can't provide a legit player card to the ref - it should be somewhat effective to fight fraud.

But in reality, a couple things happen. Yes, people ask for their player cards when guesting - and most would agree the team probably should let the player have their card temporarily to support that extra playtime. Yes, when that happens, sometimes cards are "lost", duplicated, reprinted, etc. Remember, to create these cards, it's just coming from GotSport, printed on the team manager's printer at home, then laminated either at home or for a few pennies at Staples. It's not a passport. There's no RFID. You can make as many as you want. Not to mention, it's terribly common for teams to use another player's card to represent another kid.

Asking one of my TM for my dd player's card was insane. TM would ask dumb questions and sort of interrogate me. Then would tell the GM Daddy of the team and then soon the whole team would know my dd was guesting and then the gossip would start. Dirty looks came next. There has to be a better way. Having our little ones play the game of soccer should be easy. I always told the coach first and some coaches were complete A Holes because they saw it as someone who could leave the soccer family for another soccer family.
This is the truth.
The club pretty much owns your player. They can get butthurt if you do this. Like you’re having an affair with another club. Also TMs are known to play games with your card. Be careful.

This is the truth.
The club pretty much owns your player. They can get butthurt if you do this. Like you’re having an affair with another club. Also TMs are known to play games with your card. Be careful.
100% bro. I had to call Cal South one time during my dd natty run after both sides of these soccer families played control abuse games, stall tactics, not answering my phone call or emails, because one didn't want my dd's goals & ganas to go to the other family. I will say Cal South was very helpful. Now, it's seems like the Wild West, with no one to help you. This is utter bull crap. Set these players free. Have respectful rules and follow them. Transfer deadlines are easy to enforce. Parents need a voice at the table.

There needs to be an app for Refs that allows them to just take a pic each player before the game + associate it with their number

After the game either coach can dispute if a player was actually the correct one for the associated number.

Put the pics on a website that's only accessible by the opposing coaches to review. This would also be helpful to maintain younger player privacy.

Want to take it a step further? Integrate facial recognition and AI + use that to review all pics + send the questionable ones to league leadership for review.

Clubs dont own the players + kids should be able to play with whoever they want.

There needs to be an app for Refs that allows them to just take a pic each player before the game + associate it with their number

After the game either coach can dispute if a player was actually the correct one for the associated number.

Put the pics on a website that's only accessible by the opposing coaches to review. This would also be helpful to maintain younger player privacy.

Want to take it a step further? Integrate facial recognition and AI + use that to review all pics + send the questionable ones to league leadership for review.

Clubs dont own the players + kids should be able to play with whoever they want.
100% Carlsbad. I don;t think that many people cheat. The club card is a control card, trust me. When you ask for it, it tips the coach, the TM, GM Dad, Doc and the club that you might be on the move to play with another soccer family the next season. WTF cares except the club that could lose your $4,000 and all the other "extra" ways they want you to pay. If your dd can stop goals or plays tenacious defense or God forbid score some goals, they will make it very difficult for you dd or ds to get their card. They might hand it over, but you will receive scorn and abuse. Youth soccer is kind of like a cult right now. This has to stop. I'm helping my sister in law's little guy with BS as I write, so I can share. The boys leagues can be brutal.

If your dd can stop goals or plays tenacious defense or God forbid score some goals, they will make it very difficult for you dd or ds to get their card.
Isn't the opposite true? If your kid is a star player, they will bend over backwards for you.

Isn't the opposite true? If your kid is a star player, they will bend over backwards for you.
I'm confused with this one. They do not want the "Stars" guesting and let me just say, perception is a bitch. This is what I remember. Cut me some slack, it was a few years ago.

Parent (GM or TM) from another Team: "Hey Crush, were down a few players for a tournament. I notice you post on the forum. Would your dd be interested in playing with us? It will just be fun and the girls will play all different positions.

Crush: Let me ask her. Yes, she would love to get in some extra games and play for fun

GM: OK, awesome. Please get your player's card from the club

Crush: OK, will do. Thanks for the invite bro.

Crush to TM: Hey TM, I need players card so my kid can play next weekend in a tournament

TM: What club you guesting for Crush? What tournament? Does coach know about this? Not the Blues, right?

Crush: No, not the Blues. Hahahahaha. GOAT FC Boss. It's the Joy Faucet Swallows Invitational in San Juan. I did not talk with coach about this. I will let them know after I get her card from you. Can you bring it to practice?

TM: Your not on the soccer forum are you? That place is evil. What happens if she get's hurt?

Crush: You have a problem with socal soccer forum? I love it and if she gets hurt, oh well. At least she was playing soccer. Please bring the card to practice, thanks

Coach Calls: Hey Crush, we don't like the parents on the forum. I told you that before but it's your choice. I would prefer you not to be on the forum

Crush: I like the forum. It will be fun for her and I met some new friends who invited me from the forum

Coach/TM at practice swarms Crush: Hey, we think it's not good but here's your players card. Please don't lose it.

Crush: Thanks you guys.

Well I believe you. But for us, my kid doesn't need a college scholarship. Soccer is just for fun. So if I want my kids player card, I will ask for it. If they give me trouble, I will look for a new team.

Well I believe you. But for us, my kid doesn't need a college scholarship. Soccer is just for fun. So if I want my kids player card, I will ask for it. If they give me trouble, I will look for a new team.
100%. Soccer should be for fun, moo.

An official card is simply a properly-sized PDF printed on paper + lamination. Our GK carries a spare card for convenience because he frequently guest plays for another team of our club.

If you want to guest play for another club, check with your coach/club. Some are cool about it and some are not. If you don't care what your coach thinks, learn how to photoshop.

Take a picture of your card and make your own at FedEx print shop. I forgot to bring our cards to ECNL playoffs in Seattle last year...printed onto regular paper at hotel and used tape to make cards. Refs/officials didn't care.

IMG_8517.jpg

An official card is simply a properly-sized PDF printed on paper + lamination. Our GK carries a spare card for convenience because he frequently guest plays for another team of our club.

If you want to guest play for another club, check with your coach/club. Some are cool about it and some are not. If you don't care what your coach thinks, learn how to photoshop.

Take a picture of your card and make your own at FedEx print shop. I forgot to bring our cards to ECNL playoffs in Seattle last year...printed onto regular paper at hotel and used tape to make cards. Refs/officials didn't care.

View attachment 16794
TM? I knew it....lol! Here's my advice to EVERYONE. When you join a team, follow the team rules. If the coach says, "no guesting allowed" then follow the rule or go to a team that allows guesting. If a coach like Tad Bobak says, "you can guest all you want because I want the girls to play, but you can't guest when we have a game" then cool. Too many TMs and GMs get in the middle and cause gossip and headaches for the parents and their dd and ds. My sister in law told me of the one she had to deal with all year and it was a nightmare. Talk about a middleman that had an ax to grind. Why? Jealousy and envy.

Back