Get ready folks

Youth sports participation is down as a percent of youth population across most sports.

For soccer I think it suffers due to a variety of causes, but a major one is that soccer for U-little for a long time just wasn’t fun. The methodology has changed a lot between just my two kids, which is great. But for my older one, it was boring and too parent involved.
Good to hear your experience has improved. What was the change in methodology that made soccer more fun?

Good to hear your experience has improved. What was the change in methodology that made soccer more fun?
For my kids:
No “daddy-kiddo” coach led practices. Fewer 1v1 / 2v2 Saturday practice / festival where kids would be foisted into massive groups of kids and adults each weekend.

More “team of 6-7 plays 4v4 on Sundays and Practices on Tuesday” with just the coach / assistant coach on the field. And parents on the sideline rooting for them instead of participating with them.

If a player moves down a year then yes they get an extra year of playing club soccer. Give me examples then of the horrible things that are happening to these "trapped" players then. Like I've said from the beginning I have only seen trapped players that have been absolutely benefitting greatly from being "trapped". And no I'm not worried at all about my kid getting bumped from anything. I just think its stupid to be changing everything again and nobody has any good real reasons on why it needs to change. Seems to me people want the change so they can get their kid to play with the lower team than they have been playing with.
Your just wrong. Currently all trapped players play their Senior Year; the Seniors are moved to their Grade Year group, once the Calendar Year group ages out, but they are still in High School.

Your just wrong. Currently all trapped players play their Senior Year; the Seniors are moved to their Grade Year group, once the Calendar Year group ages out, but they are still in High School.
Is that true for ECNL girls currently? Can trapped girls can play on a younger ecnl age group team during their senior year? I thought it only applied to GA. Regardless, I say let the one million youth soccer players who are born in sept, oct, nov., dec. play with their classmates and not skew the system for a few hundred that "may" some day make a national team... there's no need to create trapped players in the first place.

Is that true for ECNL girls currently? Can trapped girls can play on a younger ecnl age group team during their senior year? I thought it only applied to GA. Regardless, I say let the one million youth soccer players who are born in sept, oct, nov., dec. play with their classmates and not skew the system for a few hundred that "may" some day make a national team... there's no need to create trapped players in the first place.
Those who can make the YNT are already playing up 1/2 years or on an MLS academy team. Change to BY to benefit national team selection is a joke and at the expense of 33% trap players.

It depends on your mindset.

Around the world Club Soccer equates to Academy Soccer. In Academy Soccer the goal is to play professionally. That's it. What this means is lower level clubs are always looking for talent they can sell via transfer fees to higher level clubs. In this world BY doesn't really matter because top players are already playing up. Since everything is focused on development and selling talent to higher level clubs BY is irrelevant. Clubs stick to BY because it works and it's something everyone has agreed on. But in reality nobody cares about BY or games defined by BY.

In America school and sports are mixed and what I really mean by this is that College and Sports are mixed. In other countries College teach and that's it. Because Colleges in America mix sports with academics it changes how youth sports is approached. In America there's multiple reasons to play a sport. As opposed to other countries where playing professionally is the only goal. In America you can play sports with an end goal of playing professionally or you can play sports with an end goal of using sports to receive preferential treatment in school (ie College). This is where everything gets screwy.

College mixing Academics with Sports distorts everything in youth sports. In soccer you end up with groups like ECNL that say screw National Teams and playing Professionally we're just going to cater to rich parents. Because there's more college roster spots than National Team or Pro roster spots this means there's more parents youth clubs can shake down for $$$ as long as they stand between youth and college soccer pathways.

Basically ECNL only cares about getting players onto college rosters. Because of this SY makes the most sense to them because it works best for college recruiters.

If college didn't mix Academics and Sports ECNL wouldn't exist. With the way NCAA is losing court cases lately college sports might completely change in the very near future. This is why ECNL leadership is pushing for SY change now. In 3-5 years the entire AMATEURISM concept might get thrown out the window. Which might take youth soccer back to an Academy style way of identifying talent for college. If college are paying players for their services the only piece missing is colleges paying youth clubs for talent via transfer fees.

Now with both positions on the BY / SY debate you can see why many (including myself) would rather just keep things as they are. Everything works as is. The bottom could fall out of the NCAA candyland pathway to success in the very near future.

Around the world Club Soccer equates to Academy Soccer. In Academy Soccer the goal is to play professionally. That's it. What this means is lower level clubs are always looking for talent they can sell via transfer fees to higher level clubs. In this world BY doesn't really matter because top players are already playing up. Since everything is focused on development and selling talent to higher level clubs BY is irrelevant. Clubs stick to BY because it works and it's something everyone has agreed on. But in reality nobody cares about BY or games defined by BY.

In America school and sports are mixed and what I really mean by this is that College and Sports are mixed. In other countries College teach and that's it. Because Colleges in America mix sports with academics it changes how youth sports is approached. In America there's multiple reasons to play a sport. As opposed to other countries where playing professionally is the only goal. In America you can play sports with an end goal of playing professionally or you can play sports with an end goal of using sports to receive preferential treatment in school (ie College). This is where everything gets screwy.

College mixing Academics with Sports distorts everything in youth sports. In soccer you end up with groups like ECNL that say screw National Teams and playing Professionally we're just going to cater to rich parents. Because there's more college roster spots than National Team or Pro roster spots this means there's more parents youth clubs can shake down for $$$ as long as they stand between youth and college soccer pathways.

Basically ECNL only cares about getting players onto college rosters. Because of this SY makes the most sense to them because it works best for college recruiters.

If college didn't mix Academics and Sports ECNL wouldn't exist. With the way NCAA is losing court cases lately college sports might completely change in the very near future. This is why ECNL leadership is pushing for SY change now. In 3-5 years the entire AMATEURISM concept might get thrown out the window. Which might take youth soccer back to an Academy style way of identifying talent for college. If college are paying players for their services the only piece missing is colleges paying youth clubs for talent via transfer fees.

Now with both positions on the BY / SY debate you can see why many (including myself) would rather just keep things as they are. Everything works as is. The bottom could fall out of the NCAA candyland pathway to success in the very near future.
Your second last para makes no sense. If pro teams don't care about BY, then why would colleges care about BY if they go pro. They would only care about talent, irrespective of age. ECNL would still sell based on a college route, albeit now a pro route. The issue would be numbers. You would no longer have 300+ D1 "programs" (lmao) plus the rest as the colleges couldn't pay those players imv. Title ix could/would be defunct as colleges could/would just go for pro teams and dump everything else. If the bottom comes out of the numbers, then ECNL has no pathway for the over whelming majority of players so why would anyone pay thousands every year.

As for transfer fees, that's a whole other can of worms. Youth clubs are paid to "develop", if someone then pays for that player, wouldn't they pay the person who paid for the development .. the parents generally. Different system to the rest of the world, and it would defo end up in court of the clubs decided they should get paid twice, lol. Either way why would colleges pay, they would just compete for the 1% of talent they care about by offering more than the other guy. It's not like the clubs decide which colleges the players go to!

Your second last para makes no sense. If pro teams don't care about BY, then why would colleges care about BY if they go pro. They would only care about talent, irrespective of age. ECNL would still sell based on a college route, albeit now a pro route. The issue would be numbers. You would no longer have 300+ D1 "programs" (lmao) plus the rest as the colleges couldn't pay those players imv. Title ix could/would be defunct as colleges could/would just go for pro teams and dump everything else. If the bottom comes out of the numbers, then ECNL has no pathway for the over whelming majority of players so why would anyone pay thousands every year.

As for transfer fees, that's a whole other can of worms. Youth clubs are paid to "develop", if someone then pays for that player, wouldn't they pay the person who paid for the development .. the parents generally. Different system to the rest of the world, and it would defo end up in court of the clubs decided they should get paid twice, lol. Either way why would colleges pay, they would just compete for the 1% of talent they care about by offering more than the other guy. It's not like the clubs decide which colleges the players go to!
I agree with you.

Just describing how the ECNL SY people think, right or wrong.

Bigger picture is that BY or SY really doesn't matter. The same type of players will float to the top no matter what. If you belive in RAE moving the cutoff date around just changes who is affected. It doesn't stop RAE from occurring.

Personally I think NCAA will go kicking and screaming down the pay the players / players are employees pathway. Unfortunately it's going to take some time to happen. Once College is forced to act more like professional leagues other topics like agents and transfer fees will occur.

It's true for all leagues that follow U.S. Soccer rules.

I agree with most of what you say. But keeping it BY, even if college sports didn't exsist, still creates a mismatch of kids social group (school grad) and their teams. The problem of the Middle School/ High School conflict would still remain as well (trapped players will still not be able to play a legit soccer game for 3-4 months). Grade year specific events like Homecoming, Prom, and other Grade Year school events also cause
conflicts. I think we should use whichever system creates the least amount of conflicts for the majority of players. For people living in the U.S. a SY based system has the least amount of problems.

As much as people thought the Development Academy perspectives and rules were the solution to youth soccer, the reality is it failed, and caused unnessasary problems for an entire generation of Trapped Players in the wake of it's attempt to improve.

Attachments

• IMG_0598.jpeg
    IMG_0598.jpeg
    575.6 KB · Views: 15
Good for you.

I still prefer official sources over rumors.
My sources could have only been from a higher place of authority if they were USSF directly. Again nothing is a done deal yet so people shouldn’t let that post from DPL get you “worried”. But I’ll say this don’t be surprised if ECNL and the other academy leagues goto Grad year and the vast majority goto an 8/1 cut off. IF USSF approve the switch.

If I get additional details at any point ahead of time i’ll post here.

My sources could have only been from a higher place of authority if they were USSF directly. Again nothing is a done deal yet so people shouldn’t let that post from DPL get you “worried”. But I’ll say this don’t be surprised if ECNL and the other academy leagues goto Grad year and the vast majority goto an 8/1 cut off. IF USSF approve the switch.

If I get additional details at any point ahead of time i’ll post here.
So you're hedging your bet saying that nothing might happen and in the next sentence youre saying here's what will happen.

I'm going back to I don't believe you.

Maybe come back with something official that you're wiling to stand behind. Or simply make a statement without the hedge.

Any one know when US Club soccer vote is and what is happening on that front?
There's supposed to be a US Club Soccer meeting in Nov which is likely their quarterly review meeting. I'd assume this topic would be discussed.

The DPL link made it very clear that US Soccer has the ultimate thumbs up or thumbs down on BY vs SY.

But US Club Soccer could choose to go SY on their own which would force all leagues to make a decision on which they support BY or SY.

If US Soccer says no change there's a very good chance that youth soccer might split in two all the way down to the rec level.

There's supposed to be a US Club Soccer meeting in Nov which is likely their quarterly review meeting. I'd assume this topic would be discussed.

The DPL link made it very clear that US Soccer has the ultimate thumbs up or thumbs down on BY vs SY.

But US Club Soccer could choose to go SY on their own which would force all leagues to make a decision on which they support BY or SY.

If US Soccer says no change there's a very good chance that youth soccer might split in two all the way down to the rec level.
I feel the decision is very clear; otherwise, DPL will not spend so much effort to "prepare for any change." It is not a presidential race that is too close to call. The ECNL podcast also said the majority favored the change, so it is a done deal. I believe ECNL/GA/DPL will start on 24/25, and local leagues will start on 25/26. I'm not sure about MLSN. I think they will change, too. It is good for the MLS Academy team. Now, they can play up against those MLSN teams to make the game close.

I feel the decision is very clear; otherwise, DPL will not spend so much effort to "prepare for any change." The ECNL podcast also said the majority favored the change, so it is a done deal. I believe ECNL/GA/DPL will start on 24/25, and local leagues will start on 25/26. I'm not sure about MLSN. I think they will change, too. It is good for the MLS Academy team. Now, they can play up against those MLSN teams to make the game close.
Maybe, DPL founded GA so if they're making a statement there's potential for change.

Still curious, is the above statement true for ECNL girls today? Can trapped girls can play on a younger ECNL age group team during their senior year? I thought it only applied to GA.

Back