Get ready folks

The MLS is a stumbling block, particularly since it implicates their academies, unless everyone decides to go forward without MLS Next and keep them separate.
But isn't the MLS basically a closed league anyway, with special permission required if you even want to play in a non-MLS tournament. Additionally, any MLS team in a non-MLS tournament should just play up - they are elite, so shouldn't have a problem, right!

Have you watched a boys U9 game with a build out line? Without the build out line they would never get it out of the back. They barely do with a build out line.
I remember a long time ago my kids build put line went to Arizona to scrimmage a "Mexican league" team . At U10 they allowed goalies booting it and headers.

The world didn't stop and play still happened.

I remember a long time ago my kids build put line went to Arizona to scrimmage a "Mexican league" team . At U10 they allowed goalies booting it and headers.

The world didn't stop and play still happened.
Mexico isn't exactly covering itself in glory recently. They have many of the same problems we do: an obsession with winning, an academy structure with some limitations, a game that relies on physicality rather than technique, an inability to transition their U18s to a pro path. About the only thing they do better than us is cast a wider net for recruitment (including from affiliated rec clubs in the United States).

I agree the build out line is stupid but the European academies dissuade keepers from booting it until roughly U14 (give or take) and they go small sided until roughly the same time period (IIRC, Germany just upped it's small sided rules this last week). If we could trust our coaches not to boot it such heavy handed measures would not be necessary.

I've told the story before. Was consulting the Youth Development Council through AYSO pre-COVID. A very experienced coaching friend and I made a bet over the build out line-- we had taken contrary positions to the Council. I was opposed on the grounds that the minute they removed the line coaches would go back to their old habits and a more comprehensive solution was needed. He argued no....once coaches learned the lesson the days of US boot ball were over. I collected on that bet a few years back and still have the bottle sitting in the middle of my liquor top shelf. I smile at it from time to time on my way to the kitchen.

Are people really passing this off as “insider information?”

Like legit copy pasting the abstract and saying it was a text response?

RAE has nothing to do with trapped players outside of the fact that in a CY cutoff, the trapped players happen to coincidentally also be the youngest group in the age band.

Mexico isn't exactly covering itself in glory recently. They have many of the same problems we do: an obsession with winning, an academy structure with some limitations, a game that relies on physicality rather than technique, an inability to transition their U18s to a pro path. About the only thing they do better than us is cast a wider net for recruitment (including from affiliated rec clubs in the United States).

I agree the build out line is stupid but the European academies dissuade keepers from booting it until roughly U14 (give or take) and they go small sided until roughly the same time period (IIRC, Germany just upped it's small sided rules this last week). If we could trust our coaches not to boot it such heavy handed measures would not be necessary.

I've told the story before. Was consulting the Youth Development Council through AYSO pre-COVID. A very experienced coaching friend and I made a bet over the build out line-- we had taken contrary positions to the Council. I was opposed on the grounds that the minute they removed the line coaches would go back to their old habits and a more comprehensive solution was needed. He argued no....once coaches learned the lesson the days of US boot ball were over. I collected on that bet a few years back and still have the bottle sitting in the middle of my liquor top shelf. I smile at it from time to time on my way to the kitchen.
My daughter when she was u9-u11 played on a boys team in a Mexican league, no build out line when she. Exactly how you described it.

It was 10x more fun than her academy girls team that had the build out line precisely because of the speed of play and penalty for dumb stuff in front of goal.

Are people really passing this off as “insider information?”

Like legit copy pasting the abstract and saying it was a text response?

RAE has nothing to do with trapped players outside of the fact that in a CY cutoff, the trapped players happen to coincidentally also be the youngest group in the age band.
I didn’t say that was insider info? Just when I asked what study they were using this is what he sent me. I’m pretty sure I said it was public somewhere I just didn’t care enough to look it up. Also I’m pretty sure I said the real power point info was not something I was able to get.

I didn’t say that was insider info? Just when I asked what study they were using this is what he sent me. I’m pretty sure I said it was public somewhere I just didn’t care enough to look it up. Also I’m pretty sure I said the real power point info was not something I was able to get.
So, the "insider" info turns out to be cut and paste.

Your credibility is waining...

I don't believe your contact exists. But if they do they're feeding you info that fits their and your astroturfing agenda.

I don't believe your contact exists. But if they do they're feeding you info that fits their and your astroturfing agenda.
@Carlsbad7 always has impeccable sources, never has an agenda, and always argues in good faith. Don't believe me? Just ask her.

I asked what study they were using to show RAE has not improved? The one posted was what he sent me and is a public posted study and I believe is the most recent one done? I’m not sure when I said anything to “try” and get you to believe anything otherwise? Does the fact that this study was posted in May 24 make it not real information? I just don’t understand the argument you are trying to make?

I would say it’s you people trying to discredit people on a message board who have an “agenda”… all I’m posting is what I hear and have given screen shots that ALL have turned out to have accurate information.

Not because I have some weird “agenda” this topic obviously is important to people. If I can get even the smallest of info, why not share it?

Just remember I did not start this forum and the person who did weeks ago at this point (reference page 1) had posted all the same things I have heard that all turned out to be true. “If” you believe what the ECNL president said on the most recent podcast.

If I get any additional screen shot or e-mails sent to me I will not post anything and let you find out the old fashion way.

Sorry for annoying you with my friendship….

@Carlsbad7 always has impeccable sources, never has an agenda, and always argues in good faith. Don't believe me? Just ask her.
The only source that I've seen reguarding this subject is when ECNL leadership discussed changing back from BY to SY in a podcast.

Everything else has turned out to be Rumors without anything to back them up. Much like the RAE cut and paste.

I'm against changing from BY to SY because I think it's a waste of time and resources. Also in the end it doesn't matter.

If ECNL chooses to change to BY on their own it's going to cause all kinds of challenges that Parents with Aug to Dec birthdays aren't considering and don't care about because they'll get what they want and be out of the youth system before the repercussions are felt.

But isn't the MLS basically a closed league anyway, with special permission required if you even want to play in a non-MLS tournament. Additionally, any MLS team in a non-MLS tournament should just play up - they are elite, so shouldn't have a problem, right!
i know we don't play anything outside of academy scheduling. there are so many games and showcases, etc. that everyone else changing their birth year, school year, dogs years, isn't going to do anything for us. business as usual..lol..

I asked what study they were using to show RAE has not improved? The one posted was what he sent me and is a public posted study and I believe is the most recent one done? I’m not sure when I said anything to “try” and get you to believe anything otherwise? Does the fact that this study was posted in May 24 make it not real information? I just don’t understand the argument you are trying to make?

I would say it’s you people trying to discredit people on a message board who have an “agenda”… all I’m posting is what I hear and have given screen shots that ALL have turned out to have accurate information.

Not because I have some weird “agenda” this topic obviously is important to people. If I can get even the smallest of info, why not share it?

Just remember I did not start this forum and the person who did weeks ago at this point (reference page 1) had posted all the same things I have heard that all turned out to be true. “If” you believe what the ECNL president said on the most recent podcast.

If I get any additional screen shot or e-mails sent to me I will not post anything and let you find out the old fashion way.

Sorry for annoying you with my friendship….
You’re trying to build authority and credibility by passing off a study as insider information.

And that study doesn’t show RAE improving, it just defines its impact at various levels and validated talent identification as a skill to combat RAE. Of course club soccer will have more impact of RAE, the coaches are less experienced than the national team coaches. Your source, if a source, is exactly as @Carlsbad7 said, feeding you info for an agenda.

But I doubt that the source exists, because if they did, if I were in your shoes, rather than lash out at this thread and blame us for “being annoyed by your friendship” I’d be pretty steamed at my source for making me look like a tool. Just my 2 cents.

You’re trying to build authority and credibility by passing off a study as insider information.

And that study doesn’t show RAE improving, it just defines its impact at various levels and validated talent identification as a skill to combat RAE. Of course club soccer will have more impact of RAE, the coaches are less experienced than the national team coaches. Your source, if a source, is exactly as @Carlsbad7 said, feeding you info for an agenda.

But I doubt that the source exists, because if they did, if I were in your shoes, rather than lash out at this thread and blame us for “being annoyed by your friendship” I’d be pretty steamed at my source for making me look like a tool. Just my 2 cents.
I would advise you to go back to the beginning read what was originally said from the forum poster. As well as look at the screen shots I posted which all ended up being facts. As confirmed from the ECNL president AFTER I posted them here.

If you do not want to believe what I’m saying this America you don’t have to. Again my credibility if anyone on an online forum has it should come from the info I’ve posted that is true.

You people trying to poke wholes are just strange. My kids will be on the negative end of this if you look at it like that.

Like I said was just trying to help.

It was a joke? It’s a quote from the show the office. I guess it wasn’t funny.

Verbatim US Soccer's RAE rationalization for birth year change in 2017:

The focus moves away from bigger, faster, stronger

-Changing to birth year registration doesn’t eliminate relative age effect (RAE) because whenever there is a defined age range, someone will be the oldest and someone will be the youngest

-However, this change does help better understand and account for RAE

-Parents and coaches should have an increased awareness of a player’s birth month relative to his or her peer group and level of performance

-This should help combat focusing on kids that appear to be better simply because 6 they are up to 364 days older than a teammate or opponent

Now if any of you parents that had kids playing in 2017, particularly youngers, and you want to torture yourself, you can read below all of the "Player Development Initiatives", like BY, buildout line, small-sides, etc and the claimed benefits (aka BS). You can thank me later.:cool:

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://static.ussdcc.com/users/148963/897090_eng-october2017pdi.pdf

While done with good intentions, the initiatives have done nothing to improve player development and the landscape has only gotten worse in the last 7 years.
I am curious if there is data out there on drop-out rates post the 2017 change. If the YNT/MNT don't seem to have much influence from RAE, then we know unicorns will always float to the top no matter the cut off. Are there less players at older ages or in college then pre-change? No matter the cut-off someone is the youngest and someone is 364 days older. In either case, those on the tail end that stick with it and/or are late developers do gain skill advantages when learning how to solve problems presented by bigger, stronger opponents.

I am curious if there is data out there on drop-out rates post the 2017 change. If the YNT/MNT don't seem to have much influence from RAE, then we know unicorns will always float to the top no matter the cut off. Are there less players at older ages or in college then pre-change? No matter the cut-off someone is the youngest and someone is 364 days older. In either case, those on the tail end that stick with it and/or are late developers do gain skill advantages when learning how to solve problems presented by bigger, stronger opponents.
BY is supposed to help YNT at the expense of 33% of trapped players' soccer experience. But in reality, YNT players usually play up, so BY is meaningless to them. An SDSC 2010 player called in the YNT camp is currently playing two years up in their 2008 ECNL team.

Overall soccer participation has gone down in the last 10 years. But the birthrate has also gone down in the last 10 years. So it's difficult to tell what if any effect switching to BY had on the number of players.

Overall soccer participation has gone down in the last 10 years. But the birthrate has also gone down in the last 10 years. So it's difficult to tell what if any effect switching to BY had on the number of players.
I would guess that the 2017 initiatives didn't have much impact on participation. I think what is having more of an impact is all the competition platforms and letter leagues all claiming to be a "pathway" to god knows what. How is a new soccer parent supposed to navigate youth soccer? When my son started club soccer in San Diego it was just Presidio and DA(boys)/ECNL(girls) when you were older. Now we have at least MLS Next, EA, EA2, ECNL, ECNL-R, Pre-ECNL, NPL, SOCAL, USL-Y on the boys side. This is after we burned through SDDA, Discovery and others. It's a complete disaster (to quote Landon Donovan), and a complete clusterf%&k (to quote me).

I would guess that the 2017 initiatives didn't have much impact on participation. I think what is having more of an impact is all the competition platforms and letter leagues all claiming to be a "pathway" to god knows what. How is a new soccer parent supposed to navigate youth soccer? When my son started club soccer in San Diego it was just Presidio and DA(boys)/ECNL(girls) when you were older. Now we have at least MLS Next, EA, EA2, ECNL, ECNL-R, Pre-ECNL, NPL, SOCAL, USL-Y on the boys side. This is after we burned through SDDA, Discovery and others. It's a complete disaster (to quote Landon Donovan), and a complete clusterf%&k (to quote me).
Youth sports participation is down as a percent of youth population across most sports.

For soccer I think it suffers due to a variety of causes, but a major one is that soccer for U-little for a long time just wasn’t fun. The methodology has changed a lot between just my two kids, which is great. But for my older one, it was boring and too parent involved.

Back