Expansion

Our understanding is prior to last season, the two 2011 WC teams (who were very good teams in the U-12 age) left at the last minute with their coach, leaving WC without anything at 2011. The 2013 team with some 2012s was asked to take on that spot thinking about long term growth, and they did so willingly. The 2012s (who were apparently not as good as the 2012 group) played DPL. There is now a new 2011 GA. I am a parent for the new 2011 team, which we look at as a project. Obviously we had to put an entire team together from nothing. We will also struggle significantly, but we are at least 2011s and for the most part know what we are getting ourselves into. We joined the team trusting the GA director who would be coaching the team - then about 2 months in he was terminated (coaches being terminated after joining teams - story of our life). Much longer story and a lot of retrospective thoughts about how all of this has played out, but just have to move forward now. We feel like the club as a whole is headed in the right direction with the new GA Director. Was always thinking about this big picture anyway, meaning development for a "final product" at 16-18 years old both individually and as a team. As for Liverpool (now So Cal Reds), RH had that team for years which is why they had been so dominant at DPL and now accepted into GA should be one of the top 3 teams in GA Southwest at U14. Galaxy/Liverpool/now Reds has a huge youth rec program which feeds a lot of the OC clubs as the kids get older and leave rec.

I don't know anything about WC or any of the people involved. But after reading your scenario, I had some deja vu with bad soccer club experiences. Just a recommendation from one soccer parent to another trying to navigate this madness. I would contact the coaches who left with the 2011 teams and have a serious conversation with them about why they left the club; don't rely on second hand information. Those teams leaving as a whole is a big indicator of something. Then the GA Director gets the boot (could be the problem, or could have been a threat to the problem). Your best source of what the problem is, is the coach who walked away from GA with two teams. If the club directors/board are part of the problem, coaching changes will not fix the issue. If directors/board are controlling the rosters, changing coaches will not fix the issue. I'm speculating here, but my point is get the information from the coach who left; if you can't get him to talk to you, reach out to the parents who left.

Back