Expansion

GA has given Los Gatos United full access to GA at all age groups. Apparently before they had one or two age groups before + did well.

Los Gatos top team, state rank, by year:
05/04 (U19): 137
2006: 212
2007: 119
2008: 109
2009: 82
2010: 49
2011: 58
2012: 71

They would be expected to compete OK in GA, but somewhere below midpack in most age groups.

GA will allow CitySC DPL teams to play in GA events. This is probabaly a first step before giving City 2x GA teams. Assuming their DPL teams perform well.

CitySC DPL teams:
05/04 (U19): 17
2006: 101
2007: 61
2008: 39
2009: 100
2010: 113

City's DPL teams would be expected to be quite a bit stronger than the top LGU team in most of the upper age groups.

I’m hearing next GA teams will be Liverpool and SoCal Elite for 2024-2025

Seems reasonable. For completeness, here's Liverpool:

Year/State rank
05/04 (U19): 67
2006: 15
2007: 93
2008: 84
2009: 75
2010: 17
2011: 29
2012: 29

and SoCal Elite:

Year/State rank
05/04 (U19): 154
2006: 126
2007: 33
2008: 46
2009: 44
2010: 209
2011: 88
2012: 81

Still locking SD Force out of the GA. Seems beyond logic. I'll bet the GA Board has members from City and/or Albion that are pushing to keep Force out of the league.
SD Force CA Ranking as of 5/16/2023:
2004/2005: 239
2006: 50
2007: 26 (was mid-teens most of the year)
2008: 111
2009: 16
2010: 54
2011: 79
2012: 45

Still locking SD Force out of the GA. Seems beyond logic. I'll bet the GA Board has members from City and/or Albion that are pushing to keep Force out of the league.
SD Force CA Ranking as of 5/16/2023:
2004/2005: 239
2006: 50
2007: 26 (was mid-teens most of the year)
2008: 111
2009: 16
2010: 54
2011: 79
2012: 45
Probabaly correct one this one.

SDSC might also be involved considering it overlaps territory with Force.

I took a quick look at the GA Board members, because overlooking SD Force for GA is odd. Also, including City SC DPL teams in GA events, when there are multiple other DPL Clubs doing significantly better than City is odd. I know this is just correlation, but seems like a big red flag to me. GA Executive Board Treasurer: Skye O’Grady, City SC President 2015-2021, https://ourcitysc.com/thank-you-skye/

I took a quick look at the GA Board members, because overlooking SD Force for GA is odd. Also, including City SC DPL teams in GA events, when there are multiple other DPL Clubs doing significantly better than City is odd. I know this is just correlation, but seems like a big red flag to me. GA Executive Board Treasurer: Skye O’Grady, City SC President 2015-2021, https://ourcitysc.com/thank-you-skye/
Might be true but GA is starting to give its top clubs two teams.

I doubt DPL performance has much to do with giving CitySC DPL GA event status.

What's probably more important is GA team performance and club ability to field a second GA team. (Ie number of players playing.) Traditionally City has always had a 1st 2nd 3rd and sometimes 4th competitive team. They also have rec teams and affiliates like San Marcos + Temecula to pull players from.

Any chance there is a WC DOC on that board? I have been wondering why Liverpool has been locked out also. Already in DPL. Won a DPL national title. Those state rankings will get higher if they had GA. They lose good players every year once they age in to the letter leagues to the 1 club with GA in OC, WC. And to local ECRL teams. Kids hoping to play their way onto ECNL roster. Only one other GA and DPL club in OC. Boys have MLS Next and UPSL. They have a women's UPSL.

What I've never understood is why ECNL doesnt let its top clubs run x2 ECNL (not ECRL) teams if they want to. Even right now ECNL/RL is designed like a pool allowing players to go back and forth between the two. Seems like a poor business decision that's likely been defined by administrative challenges.

If a club like Surf or Blues wanted to field a second ECNL team they could + they'd probabaly still beat most of the lower level Mohave/Sonoran teams likely at all ages with both teams. They're able to do this because these type of clubs have very good management and coaches.

Why penalize / hold back top clubs for doing everything right + showing it week in and week out via results.

Just my personal opinion but in this reguard GA allowing top clubs to run multiple teams at the highest level is the way to go + ECNL is missing the boat.

Probabaly correct one this one.

SDSC might also be involved considering it overlaps territory with Force.
Majority of Force top players went to City SC before the high school break and a few others left for SDSC. You are right they overlap territory with SDSC reason why they aren't going to get GA.

I think any club would LOVE to own the two top spots in a league table, it's just a low probability outcome, for a variety of reasons.
Check the standings in ECNL 2006 Southwest Conference. Slammers HBK won their side and Slammers FC won theirs. Crazy, but possible I suppose. Btw, Slammers FC (the "B" team) also beat Slammers HBK in their league game against each other this year.

Has anyone heard anything about Tudela? I was hoping they would have been given a chance to join GA for next season.

Might be true but GA is starting to give its top clubs two teams.

I doubt DPL performance has much to do with giving CitySC DPL GA event status.

What's probably more important is GA team performance and club ability to field a second GA team. (Ie number of players playing.) Traditionally City has always had a 1st 2nd 3rd and sometimes 4th competitive team. They also have rec teams and affiliates like San Marcos + Temecula to pull players from.

Aside from the Nationals and TopHat, what GA clubs are getting a second team? Those two clubs have a much different soccer landscape than the Southwest.

Nationals has 15 locations (basically 15 different affiliates; each area has its own “Club Manager”), spanning 9 counties (around the Detroit area), with 280 Teams.

TopHat is in Atlanta, where most of the population (6M+) is for the entire State of Georgia. I could not figure out how many teams they have, or if they have any affiliate clubs in the area. I've spent time in Atlanta and the Gulf Coast. Once you are outside the Atlanta area, there isn't much population until you hit the Coast (Gulf or Atlantic). So it is not surprising that the only GA club in the area has two teams; there are not many other options with all the other competitive clubs in Atlanta going ECNL.

City has about 60 teams, with the majority playing Flight 2 and 3 in Socal League, spanning Carlsbad, San Marcos, and Temecula. In an area with lots of competitive club options for GA.

I just don't see any performance, logistical, population/distance, or club size reason for City DPL to be given GA access over West Coast, Albion, LA Surf, Del Sol. Or for City to be given a 2nd GA team. All of those organizations are similar to City in the GA performance aspects of the Club as a whole. So if it is not DPL or GA performance driven what else could it be?

As a side note. Not only is the Force scenario fishy. East County Surf was denied entry into the GA as well. Here you have a club with 75+ competitive teams, appropriate facilities for Elite League play, licenced Coaching Staff, doing well in the E64 League, with most of the top East County players traveling to other top clubs in SD. I know for a fact that there are former East County players on the First and Second teams at Albion, Force, SD Surf, Sharks, and Rebels. If EC Surf was admitted to the GA or ECNL, all those players (already playing in ECNL, GA, ECRL, and DPL) would likely stay local, and combined with the existing E64 players would immediately create a top program in any league.

I'm not trying to hate on City. I wish them continued success, and I hope the program grows. I just don't see the logic in creating a monopoly scenario in the local scene when it is not needed. There are a ton of great players to build teams with in San Diego. Why limit the amount of clubs in the league, when the area can support GA and ECNL growth? The answer will be related to money, not sport development.

Also, why not have a GA team to challenge the Eagles in Ventura? Why is GA just ceding all that territory to them without a fight?

Aside from the Nationals and TopHat, what GA clubs are getting a second team? Those two clubs have a much different soccer landscape than the Southwest.

Nationals has 15 locations (basically 15 different affiliates; each area has its own “Club Manager”), spanning 9 counties (around the Detroit area), with 280 Teams.

TopHat is in Atlanta, where most of the population (6M+) is for the entire State of Georgia. I could not figure out how many teams they have, or if they have any affiliate clubs in the area. I've spent time in Atlanta and the Gulf Coast. Once you are outside the Atlanta area, there isn't much population until you hit the Coast (Gulf or Atlantic). So it is not surprising that the only GA club in the area has two teams; there are not many other options with all the other competitive clubs in Atlanta going ECNL.

City has about 60 teams, with the majority playing Flight 2 and 3 in Socal League, spanning Carlsbad, San Marcos, and Temecula. In an area with lots of competitive club options for GA.

I just don't see any performance, logistical, population/distance, or club size reason for City DPL to be given GA access over West Coast, Albion, LA Surf, Del Sol. Or for City to be given a 2nd GA team. All of those organizations are similar to City in the GA performance aspects of the Club as a whole. So if it is not DPL or GA performance driven what else could it be?

As a side note. Not only is the Force scenario fishy. East County Surf was denied entry into the GA as well. Here you have a club with 75+ competitive teams, appropriate facilities for Elite League play, licenced Coaching Staff, doing well in the E64 League, with most of the top East County players traveling to other top clubs in SD. I know for a fact that there are former East County players on the First and Second teams at Albion, Force, SD Surf, Sharks, and Rebels. If EC Surf was admitted to the GA or ECNL, all those players (already playing in ECNL, GA, ECRL, and DPL) would likely stay local, and combined with the existing E64 players would immediately create a top program in any league.

I'm not trying to hate on City. I wish them continued success, and I hope the program grows. I just don't see the logic in creating a monopoly scenario in the local scene when it is not needed. There are a ton of great players to build teams with in San Diego. Why limit the amount of clubs in the league, when the area can support GA and ECNL growth? The answer will be related to money, not sport development.
I really dont know + agree with many of the points you've brought up.

Reguarding City I'm just reading into why GA would allow their DPL teams to participate at GA events. To me it seems like they're setting up for allowing City to have 2x GA teams.

DelSol can barely field DPL teams. There is no way they should be given a 2nd GA team. Also, if you look at DelSol beyond their 06 &07 team, pretty weak.

I really dont know + agree with many of the points you've brought up.

Reguarding City I'm just reading into why GA would allow their DPL teams to participate at GA events. To me it seems like they're setting up for allowing City to have 2x GA teams.
[/QUO
DelSol can barely field DPL teams. There is no way they should be given a 2nd GA team. Also, if you look at DelSol beyond their 06 &07 team, pretty weak.

I agree, that there is no reason to give a 2nd GA team to any clubs in the Southwest, there are a lot of clubs that could be brought into the league. Carlsbad7 was saying that the City DPL team being given GA access was not due to the DPL team performance, but the clubs GA team performance. I was pointing out that there are plenty of GA clubs performing about the same across all age groups. There are also a number of DPL clubs performing above City as well (based on league results, and soccer ranking). I realize my wording was confusing now that I reread my post. Either way you look at it, GA or DPL performance, I see no logical reason for the decision to give City DPL access to GA above many other DPL clubs throughout the league (performance, location, club facilities, player pool size, etc...). My mind immediately went to soccer politics, and it only took about 5 min to find a link between the GA Executive Board and City SC.

I agree, that there is no reason to give a 2nd GA team to any clubs in the Southwest, there are a lot of clubs that could be brought into the league. Carlsbad7 was saying that the City DPL team being given GA access was not due to the DPL team performance, but the clubs GA team performance. I was pointing out that there are plenty of GA clubs performing about the same across all age groups. There are also a number of DPL clubs performing above City as well (based on league results, and soccer ranking). I realize my wording was confusing now that I reread my post. Either way you look at it, GA or DPL performance, I see no logical reason for the decision to give City DPL access to GA above many other DPL clubs throughout the league (performance, location, club facilities, player pool size, etc...). My mind immediately went to soccer politics, and it only took about 5 min to find a link between the GA Executive Board and City SC.
Just to be clear if GA gives City a 2nd GA team (which is purely speculation at this point) I believe the decision will be 20% performance based and 80% Citys ability to actually field a 2nd GA team consistently across all age groups. Out of the clubs you listed that were potentially getting screwed by this action ECS is the only one with the number of players to potentially make it happen. This makes me think that something is odd at ECS if both ECNL and GA haven't let them in.

Socal youth soccer politics runs deep. Theres club owners, directors, and coaches have both liked and hated each other sometimes since the 1980s. Performance on the field is a reflection of coaching and club leadership. But its primarily for parents to lure talent and players from other clubs. Club owners and leagues have different priorities. For a league you want to have the best teams + select "other teams", exclude everyone else, and press for higher fees. For a club you want a large number of players and wins. Whatever combo ECNL GA NPL Socal DPL etc and Wins will generally keep parents happy + paying dues.

Also City was a founding member of both Girls DA and GA. They're like Surf in ECNL always having an inside track on decisions.

LA Surf, SDSC Surf, Murrieta Surf, add East County Surf and West Coast go back to being OC Surf and call it the Surf division of GA

Has anyone heard anything about Tudela? I was hoping they would have been given a chance to join GA for next season.
We'll remain an event status club for next season. A couple of our teams enjoyed the recent Spring Showcase, and we appreciated the support we got from a lot of people in the GA while we were there. It's very obvious that the player development goals of the league, which we admire, are sometimes in conflict with the goals of certain clubs, and it's challenging to grow a diverse, competitive national league when those clubs get the last word.

It's a shame, because clubs that put walls around themselves to hoard players act like there's a limited supply of talent in SoCal. Speaking for myself, I believe that SoCal has more than enough players for everyone, and top teams should welcome the opportunity to test themselves against the best around, rather than force their families and coaches to drive to Utah and Arizona for league games. They should believe in their youth development enough to not be afraid of being exposed by a team from outside their wall.

But too often "development" is just finding the biggest, fastest 9-year-olds and betting that you'll be able to hold onto them if you're the only local pathway to elite national showcases. Or using college recruiting exposure to poach already-developed players for your older teams.

Real development is finding kids who want to play soccer and developing their love of the game and ability to play it. It's what every club should be focused on; it's what the GA mission statement is all about: "growing the female soccer player as both an athlete and a person." We'll keep trying to do that; most of the GA seems to believe it's working pretty well for us. And we'll continue to appreciate the opportunities we're get from them.

Back