Expansion

Congrats to Leahi SC out of Honolulu, HI. Interested to see how this works. 56770A01-8434-48BF-B0A1-32C279802EA5.jpeg

Is "events only" code for preapproved for GA tournaments / showcases?

I assume if this is the case + they do well in events it would be a pathway to league membership?

Is "events only" code for preapproved for GA tournaments / showcases?

I assume if this is the case + they do well in events it would be a pathway to league membership?
That seems to be the case. There has always been a steady trickle of talent coming out fo HI, maybe this will help girls with broader exposure?

Why did they put 2 AZ teams in SW (16 teams) and 2 in MW (10 teams)? Why wouldn’t they keep the 4 AZ teams in the same conference to let them have less travel? (Not to mention that now all SW CA teams have to travel to AZ for league games.)
Premier and AZ SC went to Mountain West. SC del Sol was already in GA but in Mountain West and moved to SW. FC Tucson is new and went to SW as well. So end of the day 2 AZ teams in Mountain West (good luck with your flights) and 2 in SW (yea drive to San Diego).

Looking at last years GA schedule SW only had 6 teams and Mountain West had 8. Where are you getting your info?

Isn’t Tudela the club that a very famous sports podcaster has a kid at?

I feel like he was always raving about the club on social media

Premier and AZ SC went to Mountain West. SC del Sol was already in GA but in Mountain West and moved to SW. FC Tucson is new and went to SW as well. So end of the day 2 AZ teams in Mountain West (good luck with your flights) and 2 in SW (yea drive to San Diego).

Looking at last years GA schedule SW only had 6 teams and Mountain West had 8. Where are you getting your info?

DPL just added 2 clubs from Phoenix into Mountain West. AZ Soccer Club (Thunder) and Phoenix Premier. They sent Tucson and SCDS to SoCal to balance out.

Was talking DPL for the coming season based on one of your precious comments. GAL website doesn’t seem to have 2022-23 alignment posted yet.

Was talking DPL for the coming season based on one of your precious comments. GAL website doesn’t seem to have 2022-23 alignment posted yet.
Ah.. yea. sorry. SCDS and FC Tucson both have GA maybe why they are in SW. Phoenix Premier and AZ SC will be DPL only. May be why the alignment went as it did.

Ah.. yea. sorry. SCDS and FC Tucson both have GA maybe why they are in SW. Phoenix Premier and AZ SC will be DPL only. May be why the alignment went as it did.

No problem. Good insights. Any idea when 2022-23 GAL alignment will be posted?

I saw somewhere that West Coast will be in ECRL for the coming season. Will they continue in GAL, too? Or will they leave GAL which brings SW down to 5 (returning clubs) + the 2 AZ clubs = 7?

(Btw-typo in previous post - “preVious comments” not “precious comments” )

No problem. Good insights. Any idea when 2022-23 GAL alignment will be posted?

I saw somewhere that West Coast will be in ECRL for the coming season. Will they continue in GAL, too? Or will they leave GAL which brings SW down to 5 (returning clubs) + the 2 AZ clubs = 7?

(Btw-typo in previous post - “preVious comments” not “precious comments” )
There will be 9 clubs in GA SW. The six returning and 3 new- 2 AZ clubs and FRAM

Would like to hear from KJR or Ajaxiahi to share more details on this.
Hey all, speaking as a Tudela parent, not an official representative. From what I understand you guys have it right, “event-only” means just GA showcases/tournaments for now, with the possibility of gaining full league status later on based on how they do as well as filling out/strengthening some club age groups. Our 05’s and 07’s were invited to the GA showcase in Oceanside in June and both teams won their groups in style so that obviously helped their cause. The club’s development model is excellent and unique, and there is a ton of buy-in by loyal families with some really high quality players, but the biggest knock has been college exposure for the olders. As the club’s oldest age group, the 05’s have had to be very proactive with ID Camps, showcases, recruiting videos, and outreach to colleges just to get on the recruiting radar. It’s worked, with many of our players committed to top colleges or soon to be, but the GA status should help pave the way for the younger age groups and help retain those quality players seeking college exposure as they get older. If you have seen any of the Tudela teams play, and especially if you have seen them train, this is a well deserved reward for a lot of hard work and sticking with a philosophy that swims against the tide of “win at all costs.”

Hey all, speaking as a Tudela parent, not an official representative. From what I understand you guys have it right, “event-only” means just GA showcases/tournaments for now, with the possibility of gaining full league status later on based on how they do as well as filling out/strengthening some club age groups. Our 05’s and 07’s were invited to the GA showcase in Oceanside in June and both teams won their groups in style so that obviously helped their cause. The club’s development model is excellent and unique, and there is a ton of buy-in by loyal families with some really high quality players, but the biggest knock has been college exposure for the olders. As the club’s oldest age group, the 05’s have had to be very proactive with ID Camps, showcases, recruiting videos, and outreach to colleges just to get on the recruiting radar. It’s worked, with many of our players committed to top colleges or soon to be, but the GA status should help pave the way for the younger age groups and help retain those quality players seeking college exposure as they get older. If you have seen any of the Tudela teams play, and especially if you have seen them train, this is a well deserved reward for a lot of hard work and sticking with a philosophy that swims against the tide of “win at all costs.”

I watched about half a game of the Tudela G2007 team play last summer at Del Mar. Best G07 team I have seen play in any League, Tournament, or Showcase. You guys are doing a great job, only team I have seen in person where I was in awe of how well they worked together on the field. They would definitely put any ECNL team back on their heels, and I expect they will beat any team from any other League.

I watched about half a game of the Tudela G2007 team play last summer at Del Mar. Best G07 team I have seen play in any League, Tournament, or Showcase. You guys are doing a great job, only team I have seen in person where I was in awe of how well they worked together on the field. They would definitely put any ECNL team back on their heels, and I expect they will beat any team from any other League.

Why wouldn’t they go ECNL instead of GA?

Not saying they can't. But I have no idea what a club has to prove or what politics are required to get a club added to the ECNL or GA Leagues in the SW. They have been invited to play GA events, so it looks like there is an opportunity there. If I was the club, I would be talking with both

And there it is.

Hard to say, but GA is probably more way anxious to add teams than ECNL because the SW division in GA is weak compared to ECNL. They need to add quality. I think it is a good thing that GA is looking creatively at different ways to up the quality in the southwest division. GA teams are required to put their top team in GA and their second team in DPL. So they've got to have 2 credible teams at each age division. That's very tough for any club that isn't already fairly large. You also need things like quality field space, and lots of other must-haves that keep the league top-tier. So there's more to it than just having good teams at certain birth years. But with the advent of Elite 64 and the like, I think GA may need to break those rules and begin drawing in the excellent one-off teams from smaller clubs who can't maintain all the other components required. Sometimes its a chicken-or-the-egg thing and teams need a leg up to get to the final destination. Perhaps the GA is trying a different approach and seeing if clubs like Tudela and the Hawaii team can get that leg up by offering the exposure of GA events, without all the other prohibitive requirements. If it works it would be great for GA.

I hear that both of these teams were caught cheating in the SOCAL NPL League and the club received a heavy fine. I can see that both teams have had all thier wins removed from the 2022 fall season. Care to fill us all in on what happened?

I hear that both of these teams were caught cheating in the SOCAL NPL League and the club received a heavy fine. I can see that both teams have had all thier wins removed from the 2022 fall season. Care to fill us all in on what happened?
If you”re going to accuse someone of cheating, you need to provide a link to the evidence. If there is no evidence, it’s not really fair to post it.

Back