Espola's newest neighborhood

Sacramento is a railroad town. Late at night, with the back door open to the night air, I can hear trains passing less than 2 miles northwest of us. Some of them must be really long freights, because they rumble by for several minutes. I know there is a grade crossing somewhere in there because I can hear the engineers toot out their dah-dah-dit-dah warning (coincidentally (?) Morse code for Q).

I remember our first house in Poultney (1949) was right next to the tracks, and the bigger house there was a block away from the tracks. The Delaware and Hudson ran steam locomotives back then.

The summer of '53 when we lived in Burlington on the bluff above the lakeside industrial area, I smelled my first diesel exhaust. In Groton ('53-'55) our house was across the street from the Montpelier and Wells River station. There were reminders of steam days there -- the old water tower beside the tracks and spilled coal between the rails (We boys would hope to strike it rich by bringing in coal for the home furnace). Next year when we lived in Newbury the B&M tracks were out of hearing range, but we could walk down to the tracks and hide in the Page farm underpass while a train passed over our heads.

Sacramento is a railroad town. Late at night, with the back door open to the night air, I can hear trains passing less than 2 miles northwest of us. Some of them must be really long freights, because they rumble by for several minutes. I know there is a grade crossing somewhere in there because I can hear the engineers toot out their dah-dah-dit-dah warning (coincidentally (?) Morse code for Q).

I remember our first house in Poultney (1949) was right next to the tracks, and the bigger house there was a block away from the tracks. The Delaware and Hudson ran steam locomotives back then.
Sac Town is Cow town, FYI. I'm clade you still have your memory. You must be getting close to 80 years old. God, I hope I'm not still on the forum when I'm 80. You and Joe have a lot in common. Good luck old man :)

Catching up on the news --

When I weighed myself this morning, I discovered I was back down to my high school playing weight. As I have related here previously, I was one of the few people in my Navy Boot Camp company who gained weight -- eating was the only pleasure we were allowed (other than the "grab-your-socks" variety).

I have flipped my life completely over now that I no longer have children living with me, I am living with my children -- my wife and son are sharing my daughter's condo. The son is away this weekend refereeing at a youth soccer tournament in the Lake Tahoe area -- the tournament organizers are so desperate for referees that they are providing hotel rooms for the imported refs. I have been gently suggesting to my other son (now selling cars in Albuquerque) that he should work out his schedule so that he can return to coaching or reffing in that area.

And finally, news from the area near the town where I graduated from high school --

I remember when my girlfriend and I went skinny-dipping in their swimming hole one summer (it was called Mt. St Mary's Episcopal School in those days, and it enrolled only girls).

I remember when my girlfriend and I went skinny-dipping in their swimming hole one summer (it was called Mt. St Mary's Episcopal School in those days, and it enrolled only girls).
The young cowboy espola. Thanks for sharing. How old were you?

Back when I was a member of the NRA (their hunter safety course was a requirement for young people getting a hunting license, and it included taking our hunting rifles to the local high school to demonstrate that we had learned the lessons) the stated missions of the NRA were safety and marksmanship (our shooting range for the marksmanship portion was in a church basement). Question for the NRA -- What is it about "bump stocks" that fulfills those missions?

I spoke with my son the other day. He sells cars at a dealership in Albuquerque now. We were talking about different topics, but I had to ask about this since it was in the news. He said that at their dealership, after agreeing on the terms of the sale with a prospective buyer, they have been issuing extended loaner agreements for the car in question with the intent (hope?) that the deal can be finished once CDK has solved their problems.

I woke up when it was still dark (2AMish), did my toilet duties (that was what woke me up), then heated up the last waffle in the freezer, after which I went back to sleep with a YouTube video on the laptop. I woke sometime later within YouTube running some long video about the French Air Force in WWII, the sun shining and the air cool, so I looked at my clock to see the time -- it was reading 7:01. "Jeezum crow, I slept the whole day!" I tried to bring up the Don and Mud show (Padres game) on MLBTV, but they were showing a repeat of yesterday's game. Only then did I look at the time in the lower right corner of my laptop screen -- 7:04 AM.

I did two administrative things in response to this situation --1) I entered "WAFFLES" on my pocket notebook shopping list; 2) I changed my laptop time display to 24-hour mode (HH:mm instead of hh:mm, and please don't ask how I found the place to do that), although I won't know if that worked until it reads 13:01 or later.

I woke up when it was still dark (2AMish), did my toilet duties (that was what woke me up), then heated up the last waffle in the freezer, after which I went back to sleep with a YouTube video on the laptop. I woke sometime later within YouTube running some long video about the French Air Force in WWII, the sun shining and the air cool, so I looked at my clock to see the time -- it was reading 7:01. "Jeezum crow, I slept the whole day!" I tried to bring up the Don and Mud show (Padres game) on MLBTV, but they were showing a repeat of yesterday's game. Only then did I look at the time in the lower right corner of my laptop screen -- 7:04 AM.

I did two administrative things in response to this situation --1) I entered "WAFFLES" on my pocket notebook shopping list; 2) I changed my laptop time display to 24-hour mode (HH:mm instead of hh:mm, and please don't ask how I found the place to do that), although I won't know if that worked until it reads 13:01 or later.
Is this your diary now?

Back