DOC here. Any questions on the inside dealings?

Hello. I am a DOC of a southwest girls soccer club. If you have any questions about how things work feel free to ask.
I have so many questions Doc from SWSC, but I will wait and be last and see if anyone missed any of my questions in my head. This should be interesting. First up?

I have so many questions Doc from SWSC, but I will wait and be last and see if anyone missed any of my questions in my head. This should be interesting. First up?
Ill be waiting. I just want to have an opportunity to connect with parents outside of my club and see what ideas they have. People mistaken my outspoken nature as trolling unfortunately.

giphy.gif

Still no questions Doc? I was going to take a big bite but I will hold off my bite and just nibble on here for a chicken nugget. Pay to play and pay to play is good are not the same, 100%. I read people online for a living and these two are not one and the same.

Hello. I am a DOC of a southwest girls soccer club. If you have any questions about how things work feel free to ask.
Oh what the heck...

From your experience, in terms of percentages, how much does a players outreach in the college recruiting process weigh versus the players club coach, director outreach in the college recruiting process?

Both equally as important or more so one than the other?

I think a DOC gets involved in the finances, but let me know if that's not the case.
How do you budget fees vs costs? Do you look at income vs expense on a team by team basis? Or just overall for the club?

Lets see how long it takes for Doc to answer. Im sure he's with his coaches planning out next seassons teams.

My Q.If one of your coaches tells a parent they will only carry 18 on the roster but then after you pay in full for 10% off, he adds two players that 100% take your dd spot, should customer get his money back? Q#2- Do we need to take coaches word or get it in writing?

Oh what the heck...

From your experience, in terms of percentages, how much does a players outreach in the college recruiting process weigh versus the players club coach, director outreach in the college recruiting process?

Both equally as important or more so one than the other?
If the club is well known like Surf and Legends, I'd say about equally important. 50/50. Most clubs are honest and don't recommend every player to top schools. Smaller ga/ecnl clubs are probably sitting around a 80% player outreach/ 20% club outreach. Everyone else is basically 100% player outreach unless their coach has great connections.

I think a DOC gets involved in the finances, but let me know if that's not the case.
How do you budget fees vs costs? Do you look at income vs expense on a team by team basis? Or just overall for the club?
We have a separate staff member who controls our finances (CFO). I know roughly how things are done in our club. We budget fees/costs by looking at prior year profits. High profit year we don't change things. Low profit year we raise/lower costs based on some factors. We generally look at income vs expense overall for the club. But, we do keep metrics for team by team just incase we have an outlier.

We have a separate staff member who controls our finances (CFO). I know roughly how things are done in our club. We budget fees/costs by looking at prior year profits. High profit year we don't change things. Low profit year we raise/lower costs based on some factors. We generally look at income vs expense overall for the club. But, we do keep metrics for team by team just incase we have an outlier.
Along these same lines- How did Covid impact overall finances and future planning?

Along these same lines- How did Covid impact overall finances and future planning?
Covid hasn't really impacted overall finances. As long as profits are staying in the positives I'm happy. Future planning wise we are sticking to the same principles since circa 2017. I cannot go further into details on that.

Lets see how long it takes for Doc to answer. Im sure he's with his coaches planning out next seassons teams.

My Q.If one of your coaches tells a parent they will only carry 18 on the roster but then after you pay in full for 10% off, he adds two players that 100% take your dd spot, should customer get his money back? Q#2- Do we need to take coaches word or get it in writing?
Question 1. Nothing can be ever guaranteed just like play time. Customer won't get money back if someone else takes their spot. That's like a college coach telling your daughter that she may start freshman year (which is very unlikely to actually happen.) Question 2. Take the coaches word and think about if he is honest or not. Remember, coaches at the club will do anything they can to improve a team because their job is always on the line. Also, better team performance correlates with increased revenue.

Question 1. Nothing can be ever guaranteed just like play time. Customer won't get money back if someone else takes their spot. That's like a college coach telling your daughter that she may start freshman year (which is very unlikely to actually happen.) Question 2. Take the coaches word and think about if he is honest or not. Remember, coaches at the club will do anything they can to improve a team because their job is always on the line. Also, better team performance correlates with increased revenue.
No, it's called lying

Why would a coach give up the opportunity to improve a team. Things change and increasing roster size from 18 to 20 isn't very significant. Helps bring some extra cash and remember, players get injured all the time.

A roster size change from 16 to 18 isn’t that big a deal, maybe. But going from 18 to 20 means that not all players can suit up for each game.

A roster size change from 16 to 18 isn’t that big a deal, maybe. But going from 18 to 20 means that not all players can suit up for each game.
Doesn’t this in part depend on the level? I’d expect an mls academy team to do this and not a word of complain uttered. Maybe an mls next team…it can be quite brutal and you may even have a keeper on the team that barely sees the field all season. If your npl team is doing it then yeah that’s awful. If it’s a flight 2 team why are people still even on such a team since there’s no point.

Doesn’t this in part depend on the level? I’d expect an mls academy team to do this and not a word of complain uttered. Maybe an mls next team…it can be quite brutal and you may even have a keeper on the team that barely sees the field all season. If your npl team is doing it then yeah that’s awful. If it’s a flight 2 team why are people still even on such a team since there’s no point.
I am referring to ga/ecnl teams right now.

Back