2021 Fall Leagues predictions and updates

Congrats! What tier is NPL for girls these days?

1) ECNL
2) GA
3) ECRL
4)? DPL / NPL?

Your Vegas squad is far to good to be in the 4th or lower tier? What is the Vegas Surf Plan? Will they get into GA or ECNL?

It's hard to tell how the leagues match up these days, without a reliable ranking database. But you can look at the hard results from tournaments where there is a good amount of cross league match-ups. For example, last weekend had the Albion Cup, which has a good representation of ECNL, ECRL, GA, DPL, NPL, and SOCAL teams. If you look through the results, it is pretty clear, with an exception or two that the GA teams were strugggling to best the NPL and SOCAL teams. The DPL teams are at the bottom almost across the board. So to answer your question "What tier is NPL for girls these days?", I would say the scoreboard says Tier 2, competing with ECRL. GA has fallen to Tier 3, and DPL should be playing in SOCAL Flight 2.

So much for SoCal dominance at this age level! Too many leagues and too many ECNL/NPL/GA teams have diluted the quality of our teams in SoCal. Congrats to the final 2 teams.

Congrats! What tier is NPL for girls these days?

1) ECNL
2) GA
3) ECRL
4)? DPL / NPL?

Your Vegas squad is far to good to be in the 4th or lower tier? What is the Vegas Surf Plan? Will they get into GA or ECNL?
Other then one really weak team the girls faced out there the others were better than any RL team we have seen or played imo....Also, you forgot E-64 lol, which I'm pretty sure will be jump into that #3 spot competition wise.. Unfortunately the Vegas scene is pretty weak in comparison to the bigger markets like Cali, Texas etc....There is 1 only ecnl club here and 2 GA clubs and I honestly do not see any of them going anywhere anytime soon. I'm certainly not speaking on anyone's behalf or situation, just my observation.

Other then one really weak team the girls faced out there the others were better than any RL team we have seen or played imo....Also, you forgot E-64 lol, which I'm pretty sure will be jump into that #3 spot competition wise.. Unfortunately the Vegas scene is pretty weak in comparison to the bigger markets like Cali, Texas etc....There is 1 only ecnl club here and 2 GA clubs and I honestly do not see any of them going anywhere anytime soon. I'm certainly not speaking on anyone's behalf or situation, just my observation.

Interesting! Appreciate the insight. E-64? I don’t even know what that is? So how long before this team starts drifting to the local ECNL / GA clubs in Vegas? Or is the Vegas market better to guest with SoCal teams? I heard rumors slammers pay to fly in special players from the Vegas area (their stud forward on the 07s)

So much for SoCal dominance at this age level! Too many leagues and too many ECNL/NPL/GA teams have diluted the quality of our teams in SoCal. Congrats to the final 2 teams.

Looks like we’re going to have to put together an elite SoCal team in this age group to compete with Solar! Who’s the best 09 team in SoCal to push everyone towards? Sounds like Vegas might want to help us as well!

Reactions: LVB
Interesting! Appreciate the insight. E-64? I don’t even know what that is? So how long before this team starts drifting to the local ECNL / GA clubs in Vegas? Or is the Vegas market better to guest with SoCal teams? I heard rumors slammers pay to fly in special players from the Vegas area (their stud forward on the 07s)
Elite 64 is a new league from USYS and that is what LV Surf will be competing in. https://www.usysnationalleague.com/assets/134/6/e64_faqs.pdf
First I’ve heard about Slammers flying player(s) in but it certainly isn’t surprising if true.

Looks like we’re going to have to put together an elite SoCal team in this age group to compete with Solar! Who’s the best 09 team in SoCal to push everyone towards? Sounds like Vegas might want to help us as well!
LOL…That would be awesome but highly unlikely with all these teams playing in different leagues! What team/club are you with Charlie?

It's hard to tell how the leagues match up these days, without a reliable ranking database. But you can look at the hard results from tournaments where there is a good amount of cross league match-ups. For example, last weekend had the Albion Cup, which has a good representation of ECNL, ECRL, GA, DPL, NPL, and SOCAL teams. If you look through the results, it is pretty clear, with an exception or two that the GA teams were strugggling to best the NPL and SOCAL teams. The DPL teams are at the bottom almost across the board. So to answer your question "What tier is NPL for girls these days?", I would say the scoreboard says Tier 2, competing with ECRL. GA has fallen to Tier 3, and DPL should be playing in SOCAL Flight 2.
Well, the GA was having its national championships the same weekend so - assuming the GA teams at Albion last weekend didn't fare well, and I haven't checked - perhaps it's because the lower-ranked GA teams were the only ones there.

Remember, folks, it's easy to mislead with one cherry-picked result or even a few results and make conclusions, but without the benefit of the (sorely-missed) Youth Soccer Rankings, it is awfully tough to make accurate conclusions using the results of one very small tourney in S.D. - especially one held the same timeframe as two of the league's national championships.

No one doubts ECNL is the tops, but after that, it is difficult to say where the other leagues fall - especially given that Elite 64 is brand new - but one measure you can rely on is that Elite 64 has quite a few teams that are their clubs' "B" or "C" team, with the "A" teams being ECNL or GA. And that's just an observation, not a criticism - Elite 64 seems like it has put together some very good teams, and with LV Surf, they have one of the very best in the country - so I'm interested to see how the league pans out. It should be a great season of youth soccer in So Cal!

Reactions: LVB
Well, the GA was having its national championships the same weekend so - assuming the GA teams at Albion last weekend didn't fare well, and I haven't checked - perhaps it's because the lower-ranked GA teams were the only ones there.

Remember, folks, it's easy to mislead with one cherry-picked result or even a few results and make conclusions, but without the benefit of the (sorely-missed) Youth Soccer Rankings, it is awfully tough to make accurate conclusions using the results of one very small tourney in S.D. - especially one held the same timeframe as two of the league's national championships.

No one doubts ECNL is the tops, but after that, it is difficult to say where the other leagues fall - especially given that Elite 64 is brand new - but one measure you can rely on is that Elite 64 has quite a few teams that are their clubs' "B" or "C" team, with the "A" teams being ECNL or GA. And that's just an observation, not a criticism - Elite 64 seems like it has put together some very good teams, and with LV Surf, they have one of the very best in the country - so I'm interested to see how the league pans out. It should be a great season of youth soccer in So Cal!
Ok, I did have a minute to check out the 09G results, and the only 2 DPL teams in the Albion Cup tourney both played each other for the championship. They both won every game, excluding when they played each other. Moreover, one of the DPL teams was last place in DPL last season and the other ended up in the middle of the pack. So I'm not sure how this tourney supports the conclusion that DPL should be in Flight 2.

Ok, I did have a minute to check out the 09G results, and the only 2 DPL teams in the Albion Cup tourney both played each other for the championship. They both won every game, excluding when they played each other. Moreover, one of the DPL teams was last place in DPL last season and the other ended up in the middle of the pack. So I'm not sure how this tourney supports the conclusion that DPL should be in Flight 2.
Your result is in the bottom bracket… top bracket had Rebels ECNL losing to Fusion FC in the final. In the bracket you describe, there were no ECNL, RL E64, or GA teams. You can’t use that bracket as an example to dismiss DPL observations.

I can say for the 2010s, DPL looked like flight 2 teams when I took my DD to check them out.

No one doubts ECNL is the tops, but after that, it is difficult to say where the other leagues fall - especially given that Elite 64 is brand new - but one measure you can rely on is that Elite 64 has quite a few teams that are their clubs' "B" or "C" team, with the "A" teams being ECNL or GA.

Let's keep in mind that smaller clubs will put their top teams on Elite64. Not all the best players go to ECNL/ECRL. I am thinking of great teams in regions where ECNL is not an option but now they can play in Elite64. On the boys side, there's so many great teams from small clubs.

Your result is in the bottom bracket… top bracket had Rebels ECNL losing to Fusion FC in the final. In the bracket you describe, there were no ECNL, RL E64, or GA teams. You can’t use that bracket as an example to dismiss DPL observations.

I can say for the 2010s, DPL looked like flight 2 teams when I took my DD to check them out.
No kidding, but this is a sub-forum called "Girls 09" and the only two DPL teams in the 09 bracket were undefeated and they weren't playing AYSO teams. So that's the only data point there is. The only observation I was making is that it's not possible to make observations from one tourney, and to the extent you can make any observations about Albion Cup's G09 brackets it would be that the DPL did just fine as the undefeated champs and runners up. And looking again, there are some blowouts wins in there, too. So someone might do a fuller analysis and prove the DPL is equivalent to flight 2, but this one analysis does not, and it's not even close.

10 months season… with 14 games?? That’s a lot of free weekends…
I believe E64 is like an expansion of the existing USYS National League where teams across the country will meet at a location (e.g. Florida for east half teams) and play maybe 3 games at a time. Those teams are usually playing in another league (NPL, EA, etc.) to keep them busy with other games.

No kidding, but this is a sub-forum called "Girls 09" and the only two DPL teams in the 09 bracket were undefeated and they weren't playing AYSO teams. So that's the only data point there is. The only observation I was making is that it's not possible to make observations from one tourney, and to the extent you can make any observations about Albion Cup's G09 brackets it would be that the DPL did just fine as the undefeated champs and runners up. And looking again, there are some blowouts wins in there, too. So someone might do a fuller analysis and prove the DPL is equivalent to flight 2, but this one analysis does not, and it's not even close.

The other teams in the particular 2009 bracket you are talking about consists of: One SOCAL Flight 1 team, Three SOCAL Flight 2 teams, One SOCAL Flight 3 team, and an unknown league from Miami (I am not familiar with the level of league play out of Miami). I'm going to double down on my opinion based on oberservations of play and tournament results that in the SoCal region DPL teams are playing at a comparable level of SOCAL Flight 2 teams.

The other teams in the particular 2009 bracket you are talking about consists of: One SOCAL Flight 1 team, Three SOCAL Flight 2 teams, One SOCAL Flight 3 team, and an unknown league from Miami (I am not familiar with the level of league play out of Miami). I'm going to double down on my opinion based on oberservations of play and tournament results that in the SoCal region DPL teams are playing at a comparable level of SOCAL Flight 2 teams.
I thought you might!
So.....the DPL team that had 0 wins and 1 tie (against 19 losses) in DPL league play comes in and beats a couple Flight 2 teams comfortably, beats a flight 1 team 2-0 in the semifinal (Legends TV FC, which finished second in their division, by the way) and then wins the championship against the only other DPL team in the tourney and that's your evidence that the whole DPL league should be playing in Flight 2? C'mon, man. There's a lot of tourneys out there to cherry pick. Go find a better one, cuz this one didn't work out for you. You got out over your skis. But I'm open to seeing what other evidence you've got.

I thought you might!
So.....the DPL team that had 0 wins and 1 tie (against 19 losses) in DPL league play comes in and beats a couple Flight 2 teams comfortably, beats a flight 1 team 2-0 in the semifinal (Legends TV FC, which finished second in their division, by the way) and then wins the championship against the only other DPL team in the tourney and that's your evidence that the whole DPL league should be playing in Flight 2? C'mon, man. There's a lot of tourneys out there to cherry pick. Go find a better one, cuz this one didn't work out for you. You got out over your skis. But I'm open to seeing what other evidence you've got.
For everyone in the reality-based world and interested in playing in a strong league - definitely consider DPL! DPLeague.org
But as I've said many times, put your main focus on the coach and the chemistry with the players. The letters of the league is less important.

I thought you might!

Alright, alright. You got me, I did get too far out over my ski's. DPL is certainly just as good as SOCAL Flight 1. ;) I was trying to defend to level of play at the NPL level, that I honestly think is much better than the letter league clubs want to admit. I probably got carried away, in my position and wasn't intentionally trying to bag on DPL. There are a lot of good cross league play tournaments coming up during the summer, and we didn't get a lot of play time in socal over the past couple year due to the covid obstacles. It will be interesting to see how things go this summer at the tournaments. I think once NPL has a couple of seasons of promotion and relegation settled, all the letter leagues are going look a lot less attractive.

For everyone in the reality-based world and interested in playing in a strong league - definitely consider DPL! DPLeague.org
But as I've said many times, put your main focus on the coach and the chemistry with the players. The letters of the league is less important.
Never seen anyone pimp a league of 2nd teams like this before. Congrats on your wins over 3rd and 4th teams. Remember, flight 1 is essentially a 3rd team bracket. But go DPL! Letters of the league don't matter when you can't get on a first team!

Back