Why do club presidents/heads/boards/whatever keep problematic coaches?

This sounds like the president at a small south bay club. But he is the president and coach. I don't think he has a board. You must be talking about a different club.

If the coach you talk about is as bad as you say, it will catch up to him. The club I mentioned I hear did not get to play presidio and some teams left to other clubs.
stuff doesnt catch up too much. how many shady coaches do we see out there? i could spit out two dozen off the top of my head in South OC that been around for over 10 years and bounce around leaving messes. the used car salesman coach and/or director will always find a home - as long as there are clubs who are constructed solely to make money. Sad part is these are the types that end up as DOCs at clubs.

This sounds like the president at a small south bay club. But he is the president and coach. I don't think he has a board. You must be talking about a different club.

If the coach you talk about is as bad as you say, it will catch up to him. The club I mentioned I hear did not get to play presidio and some teams left to other clubs.
Which club??

Which club??

We were not at that club and I don't remember the name. I remember it was a European team name. But my husband speaks with parents from a team that left. The word is that the President was a real jerk and cheated by playing kids down. I guess he got caught. It left teams scrambling to find new clubs in the middle of summer.

From the sounds of it, he never bothered to notify the teams and even charged them. I don't remember how they found out, but according to the parents he denied it and told them teams were still being added to the schedule. I think someone finally wised up and called presidio directly to catch him in the lie.

I'll ask my husband, but possibly a coach on the board knows. I know it was quite the scandal her in Chula Vista.

We were not at that club and I don't remember the name. I remember it was a European team name. But my husband speaks with parents from a team that left. The word is that the President was a real jerk and cheated by playing kids down. I guess he got caught. It left teams scrambling to find new clubs in the middle of summer.

From the sounds of it, he never bothered to notify the teams and even charged them. I don't remember how they found out, but according to the parents he denied it and told them teams were still being added to the schedule. I think someone finally wised up and called presidio directly to catch him in the lie.

I'll ask my husband, but possibly a coach on the board knows. I know it was quite the scandal her in Chula Vista.
Haven't heard of this scandal in Chula. I'm surprise because most clubs that are not allowed in Presidio as a club, still play there under Atlante.

I think I know which club you are referring to and can't imagine why teams continue to attend that club's leagues and todays tournament. My niece's teammate was almost disqualified from playing because she was listed on two rosters. Her former club kept her name on the roster and even altered the birth certificate to try to cover it up. Everyone knows about it. They just speak in hushed tones. His brother even came to our club with a full team. If your own brother leaves, things have gotten bad.

I think I know which club you are referring to and can't imagine why teams continue to attend that club's leagues and todays tournament. My niece's teammate was almost disqualified from playing because she was listed on two rosters. Her former club kept her name on the roster and even altered the birth certificate to try to cover it up. Everyone knows about it. They just speak in hushed tones. His brother even came to our club with a full team. If your own brother leaves, things have gotten bad.

Even some of the best-known clubs have screwed up roster paperwork and then tried to blame the kid or his parents for it.

Even some of the best-known clubs have screwed up roster paperwork and then tried to blame the kid or his parents for it.

I don't believe it is the case. The complaint by this girl's parents led to the discovery of many former players still on the rosters and when the club records were reviewed they saw their daughter's birth certificate was a Mexican Birth certificate. All the information was the same but it was a copy of a Mexican certificate. we asked the mom how no body noticed it until October. She explained that a new player number was assigned to her daughter. That sounds deliberate to me. from the few times I sat with the moms at games and heard them talk about it I could tell no one was surprised by the discovery. There were at least 2 or 3 moms that brought their kid from that club and all had stories of catching the president in lies. even the coaches.

I don't believe it is the case. The complaint by this girl's parents led to the discovery of many former players still on the rosters and when the club records were reviewed they saw their daughter's birth certificate was a Mexican Birth certificate. All the information was the same but it was a copy of a Mexican certificate. we asked the mom how no body noticed it until October. She explained that a new player number was assigned to her daughter. That sounds deliberate to me. from the few times I sat with the moms at games and heard them talk about it I could tell no one was surprised by the discovery. There were at least 2 or 3 moms that brought their kid from that club and all had stories of catching the president in lies. even the coaches.

We ran into a situation where a player signed up for a club and they put him on two rosters (he was eligible for both, and the teams were registered through different sanctioning organizations, so no problem so far) and didn't tell the player or his parents. Both teams had the same coach, so the coach and club admin certainly knew what had happened. He only played and practiced with one team and never saw the other team except when the two teams scrimmaged. When they were called on it, they blamed the family.

We ran into a situation where a player signed up for a club and they put him on two rosters (he was eligible for both, and the teams were registered through different sanctioning organizations, so no problem so far) and didn't tell the player or his parents. Both teams had the same coach, so the coach and club admin certainly knew what had happened. He only played and practiced with one team and never saw the other team except when the two teams scrimmaged. When they were called on it, they blamed the family.

I am not saying these mistakes don't happen. I bet it happens more than we know. I heard enough to feel confident that it wasn't the case in this situation. I can't go in too much detail without breaking some confidences, but I can share what was said in the sidelines with lots of parents listening in. Both teams were cal south and Presidio teams and it was Presidio that caught the names. There were about 4 girls still on the roster that stopped playing before the 2017 season. Another mom came forward to say she left the club after she found out her son was not even registered under his real name. The club was not allowed to play in the 2018 season and from what I hear the President had his license suspended. A quick check on the Calsouth page shows that the club is no longer listed. I would guess that Presidio shared what they found for that to happen. I know that one team coached by the brother came to our club. Those parents had nothing good to say about the president and even backed up the claims that he cheated. I know at least one other team left and went to another club in Chula Vista. Both teams are boys.

I don't know about all of that. Everything I heard second hand. Most of it was about the president's bad character, mainly fighting with parents, screaming at players, inappropriate behavior with the mothers and him wanting to win so bad that he would play players down in friendly games. we did hear about falsifying ID cards but I though the club only had boys teams all under 15.

I don't know about all of that. Everything I heard second hand. Most of it was about the president's bad character, mainly fighting with parents, screaming at players, inappropriate behavior with the mothers and him wanting to win so bad that he would play players down in friendly games. we did hear about falsifying ID cards but I though the club only had boys teams all under 15.

LOL!! (Behavior with the mothers) Now I am certain it is the same club. M?
I think they had just one girl team. The club was only a few years old. From what I heard the teams used to play here under Aztecs then they went independent. The club was growing and had a spring and summer league that was getting popular, until the president's behavior got reckless. The parents say he was aggressive and almost got in fist fights with people at games and practices. Aside from the cheating "rumors" the guy has a bad rep in general. I have never met a parent that left his club on good terms or has anything nice to say. More so than other clubs. The guy seems like a train wreck. There is something new about him going around every month but he continues to try to keep his club going. Too much money to give up I would guess.

Anonymity is a shield from the tyranny of the majority. . . . It thus exemplifies the purpose behind the Bill of Rights and of the First Amendment in particular: to protect unpopular individuals from retaliation . . . at the hand of an intolerant society. -SCOTUS 1995
Boy does that apply in todays society.....oops sorry back to soccer

I guarantee he doesn't talk to his superiors (at a job he needs) like that.
im getting in here late but my take is to ask..... Why do people treat people badly? The answer is because they can. Everyone has this story somewhere in the club world and I would have loved to have lashed the guy that coached my DD but it was just better to say thank you and go on my way. He never understood why people left and he never will. My sister is a volleyball coach and they have a saying "that anything you say can only hurt your kid" kinda true

Why do they do it? They know that coaches are problematic and ignore all the signs and complains and keep the coach in the team despite that kid after kid decides to leave or not even sign up with the club because of the coach's negative traits.

Case in point, FC Valencia B07 Blue. Over the last three years, the coach (Carlos Santiesteban) has caused problems with his decisions and with his bad handling of situations and with his favoritism and yelling without teaching. Kid after kid has left. Parents have complained and Charles Martinez gets all defensive and tells parents to leave if they don't like it. Well, finally, the team exploded and 6 kids left the team in the last two months. Even the two most ferocious moms who protected the coach because their kids were the favorites decided to leave (I guess Carlos started yelling at their kids and couldn't take it while looking how he did the same to other kids over the years).

Charles Martinez is aware and instead of removing the coach from the team, he's keeping him and calling for more tryouts. It's unbelievable.

To answer the original question - Because the network of soccer coaches runs very deep. I'd love to see a "Family Tree" of who has worked for who. Or who has played for who at some point. Seems that when a coach leaves a club, there is a ton of turmoil. Lawsuits, payouts, etc. But if that coach can come back and bring a few teams with him, all of the bad blood is forgotten.
Why aren't there more female coaches that last more than a season or 2? Yet, you have men who have been coaching for 20+ years.

To answer the original question - Because the network of soccer coaches runs very deep. I'd love to see a "Family Tree" of who has worked for who. Or who has played for who at some point.

Take too much time to untangle that mess...

tangled_threads_small1.jpg

Back