Why do club presidents/heads/boards/whatever keep problematic coaches?

Discussion in 'SoCalScene' started by jbarr, Dec 5, 2018.

1. toucan

toucan Bronze

Ratings:
    +148 / 16
    When you can explain why a parent is allowed to excoriate a coach by name, but remain anonymous himself, then I will take your post seriously. If the parent wants to protect his or her own anonymity, then the parent should not name-shame the coach.

2. coachsamy

coachsamy

Ratings:
    +236 / 11
    I have no problem with venting out, but first build a rep, don't just come first post throwing someone under the bus and walk away... Damn Trolls....

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. OCsoccerdad7777

OCsoccerdad7777 Bronze

Ratings:
    +33 / 0
    Think of it kinda like a whistleblower. Are they always correct? No but can there be truth behind it? Yes. I wouldn't mind the accuser if completely wrong getting crushed but never their kid. That's why I like the anonymity. Plus if it helps keep coaches in check, all for it. The community always will know the problem parents so it will come around if they are crazy.

If our coach were to very blasted on here by some angry parent, people know his reputation around soccer so it wouldn't affect him much if at all. In fact I'm sure people will probably end up defending him since he's such a good character and coach.
    Grace already even said she wasn't surprised so there COULD be some truth.
    I always do my research and check the team/coach out before hand so you can usually tell if it is true or not.

On the flip side, I know coaches who are douche bags and not good at developing yet parents stay on the team so not everyone cares about the truth.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  4. El Clasico

El Clasico Silver

Ratings:
    +496 / 19
    Even handed disclosure??? I may be mistaken Bob, but weren't you doing the same thing when people said you got the boot from Hollywood FC and after getting the gig at Boca, you came on disparaging the whole HFC club? Goose? Gander? So it's ok for a coach to talk smack about another coach or club but the paying customer should just sit down and shut up?

Not picking a fight or seeking an argument, just seeking clarification...

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. socalkdg

socalkdg Silver

Ratings:
    +728 / 4
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Winner Winner x 4
  6. toucan

toucan Bronze

Ratings:
    +148 / 16
    Interesting, but only partly true. I was blamed for somebody else's posts. The HFC president accused me of being the poster. I was not anonymous. I came on to the board later and disclosed my own name and defended myself. I sued HFC and got a significant settlement. BTW, El Clasico, I know who you are, too.

7. toucan

toucan Bronze

Ratings:
    +148 / 16
    For further "clarification," I would also point out that I did not say anything negative about HFC. I denied that I was the other poster and left it at that. The then-president of HFC then posted numerous negative things about my coaching abilities, which I won't rehash. The former HFC Chairman of the Board also chipped in, anonymously, to attack me. Basically, I did not respond on the board. However, I did sue HFC, and the club ended up paying me about $11,000 or $12,000. It is notable that they defaulted on the last payment and I had to threaten to get a writ of attachment for them to finally pay up.

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. outside!

outside! Silver Elite

Ratings:
    +1,633 / 33
    Just curious, do you have kids that play?

9. toucan

toucan Bronze

Ratings:
    +148 / 16
    I do not. My children are grown up. If you really want to know who I am and what I do, you can PM me. Although, if would be pretty hard to not know who I am after the last few posts.

10. outside!

outside! Silver Elite

Ratings:
    +1,633 / 33
    Thanks. I appreciate your honesty. jbarr definitely could have worded things better, and it would have been much better if he had an established reputation here on the forum. I personally would encourage any parent that has problem with a coach to post here anonymously in order to prevent any negative consequences for their player. I would also tell anyone who reads a negative review of a coach to keep it in consideration but do their own research and come to their own conclusion.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  11. Not_that_Serious

Not_that_Serious Silver

Ratings:
    +291 / 6
    yeah you can pretty much google names thrown up here, look at some negative posts online, plug in some various search terms after gathering more info and you will find all the info you might want...if you are bored or something. =)

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. ultimate20

ultimate20 Bronze

Ratings:
    +34 / 0
    Jbarr opened a can of worms, and yes, the ability to attack a coach anonymously will cause some to question the motives. However, as other posters have mentioned, a coach with a solid reputation, history, integrity, etc will allow time and results and often others to speak and the reality of things becomes clear. And as others have mentioned, if there is smoke, and you do some background checking you will find fire.

And to answer the question about why clubs keep problematic coaches... There are too many to list. But suffice it to say eventually problems need to go away and they usually do, one way or the other. Good luck finding a fit for your kid, and remember as a parent you have some obligations to keep as well.

13. foreveryoung

foreveryoung Bronze

Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    I don’t take much of what’s posted online as fact but definitely not anything posted anonymously. Ive known some stories posted on here first hand and the posters seriously exaggerated and sometimes partly fabricated what happened. I’m honestly shocked how intense and resentful people can be on this forum over youth sports. Move teams, move clubs, move on. Life is waaayyyy too short.

I don’t even take coach recommendations from other parents. For every coach you can find 20 parents who think they are terrible and 20 parents that think they are great. It’s totally based on personal values and expectations.

Do what others have suggested and go to practices and games and find out for yourself.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Paul Spacey

Paul Spacey Bronze

Ratings:
    +177 / 7
    I understand whistleblowing and perhaps the occasional need for an 'anonymous' post but I don't get why people don't just use their actual names anyway. Transparency brings an element of credibility, even if you sometimes talk sh*t! ;)

• Like Like x 2
  15. jbarr

jbarr Bronze

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wow, Robert Woodbury! are you the defender of awful coaches?

16. toucan

toucan Bronze

Ratings:
    +148 / 16
    Well, it wasn't any secret who I am. I have identified myself on the board before. No, I'm not a defender of awful coaches. I'm a defender of the right to know who accuses a person. You hide behind your pseudonym and lob bombs. If you want to play this game, I suppose I can, too. How long do you think it will take me to find out who you are? A couple of calls to your FC Valencia coach and a couple of others is all it will take. Then we can converse on equal terms.

17. espola

espola Silver Elite

Ratings:
    +4,433 / 199
    You can request the name from the site owner, and if he won't give it up, get a warrant.

18. Not_that_Serious

Not_that_Serious Silver

Ratings:
    +291 / 6
    that wasnt him on yelp. it was me. master plan to take down youth soccer =)

ps. that wasnt a hard find. dont think he was hiding, to be fair

19. coachrefparent

coachrefparent Silver

Ratings:
    +639 / 21
    Anonymity is a shield from the tyranny of the majority. . . . It thus exemplifies the purpose behind the Bill of Rights and of the First Amendment in particular: to protect unpopular individuals from retaliation . . . at the hand of an intolerant society. -SCOTUS 1995

• Like Like x 5
  20. espola

espola Silver Elite

Ratings:
    +4,433 / 199
    People who have been slandered anonymously online have legal options.