What's going on Cal South and State Cup Semi's?

It's terribly silly with a side of corruption.

Honestly feel bad for all the kids who have gotten caught up in whatever the adults chose to do. That said it doesn't sound like Cal South has any wiggle room to re-instate the team given the rules and the fact no one seems to dispute they had duplicate ID numbers (I was able to physically see them on the internet not heresy. I did need to use Google cache of course because someone has removed the rosters from SCDSL websites). Let's hope that after an evening of sleeping on this Cal South comes around to the right conclusion.

Legends should refuse to play them in order to send a message. As well as San Diego surf.
This should be a special day for my DD and her teammates. To make it to the semi finals of State Cup is very tough to do especially with all the great teams in the 06 age group. So so sad. I'm willing to sit my DD for the integrity of YOUTH SPORTS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Slightly bigger news - A kid with three birth certificates? I've got to imagine there's some heavy penalties for falsification of those types of documents?

This should be a special day for my DD and her teammates. To make it to the semi finals of State Cup is very tough to do especially with all the great teams in the 06 age group. So so sad. I'm willing to sit my DD for the integrity of YOUTH SPORTS!!!!!!!!!!!!
No way! Don't do that....Legends girls should not have to prove anything. They are too young to have to sit this out to show that some adult higher ups have no integrity.
Let them play. Legends have earned a spot in the semis! Forfeiting to prove a point is not the answer.

Although this is a very well written message, it was based on hearsay, as it states more than once. However, many of you people are writing in commenting on it as fact. Do your own research people. Call CalSouth, as I did. And call Anaheim Surf, as I did. Here is what I learned.
CalSouth will not release any evidence that was submitted to them or used to originally DQ Anaheim Surf. What does that mean? Anyone who states what that evidence is, is speculating on hearsay. Hearsay is just another word for rumor. You will not get any information from CalSouth.
Anaheim Surf states that their appeal process was late getting to CalSouth. They were doing due diligence on their own before starting it. All the paperwork that Anaheim Surf has, states that this player in question was born in 2006. The player's school was called to continue to verify her birth date. (Because who else would have a history of a 10 year old? What other legal ID's does a 10 year old have besides a birth certificate. A passport is based on a birth certificate and so is any other legal ID that a person may acquire in life.) The appeal committee did not meet until after closing hours on Friday. Legal representation from Surf was present to present the evidence of what they had, and no one from the Surf organization was. It was a closed door meeting. No one knows what happened in that meeting except the CalSouth committee and the legal representatives. (My research was done before the meeting took place.) All that was released afterwards was that Anaheim Surf was reinstated to play.
All else is suspect to hearsay. Please read this person's post carefully before accusing a Club, it's coach, and parents of misconduct.

The parents of LAGSB and Anaheim Surf have obviously been through a lot this week. I feel sorry for the girls of LAGSB were who told that they were playing and now aren't, but that's on CalSouth. LAGSB is a good team and good organization. And I feel sorry for the parents and players of Anaheim Surf for having to go through the pain of waiting out an appeals process that happened so late. As of right now, their coach, club, and player in question, is innocent. You should all be adults and speak professionally about this situation. CalSouth should be ashamed of the process and service that they provided this week. I hope that they have learned their lesson.

Concerned Parent's "Pondering" issues:
1) "BW is a CalSouth ODP coach" True. Not sure what you mean by this or what you are trying to say.
2) "Why did CQ and RC choose to overrule this ruling at 7PM the night before the game?" As I stated, there was a closed door meeting after hours. Seems that everything CalSouth does is closed doors. Doesn't seem right or fair to the people paying to play.
3) "Did no parent on AS team really know about this?" Good question. Since the current evidence that Anaheim Surf presented was enough to prove innocence, at the moment, I would have to think that they did not know. Why would a parent ever ask that question? Have you (anyone reading this) asked that question about a player on your team? As parents on the sideline, I'm sure we've joked about it regarding the size of some of these kids on opposing teams, but never was serious about it.
4) "Why did Anaheim Surf not do something about this when it was raised to them months ago?"If it was brought to them in the past, why do you say that they didn't? They have all their documentation that says the player was born in 2006. So why continue to press the issue based on hearsay?
5) "Do we really believe the coach didn't know about this when many other coaches knew about this?" You are stating that the hearsay you discuss, and admit to, is truth. How many coaches actually see a birth certificate? They ask how old a player is and the parents tell them, from my experience. The club manager then collects the birth certificate and registration and turns it in to the registrar. Do you think that an ODP coach would jeopardize a career over one player? Do you think that San Diego Surf would want to tarnish their reputation over a questionable coach? I personally think this question you ask is shallow.

My pondering issue:
1) Wouldn't CalSouth have records of this player? Where are those? If the parents changed the name of the player, I would guess not. But..if school records were used to claim her innocence, then the name could never have been changed. The school wouldn't have a history of a new name or they wouldn't know who the questioner was talking about. The school evidence is quite substantial if you think about it. In my opinion, it seems that CalSouth jumped when not checking into the situation deep enough. CalSouth has more culpability to the suffering caused to families in this than anyone else, in my opinion.

I hope that the girls are allowed to play the game to the best of their abilities without the parents getting involved on Saturday. It would be an even greater tragedy if parents created an issue on the sidelines. Win or lose, the parents should be proud of the success of their daughters and teams this season and congratulate the winning team.

"Tonight, LAGSB was notified that Anaheim Surf would continue and play in the semifinals. They were told that there was no way to overturn this and that 'because all the parents and families didnt know' they would let them keep playing. They also stated that the player would be suspended. The decision to overturn the investigators was overturned by CQ and RC of CalSouth BoD directly. When questioned, they refused to state that the player was 'ineligible' because that would invoke rule 9.4 and they would have to hold to the original ruling."

My question is, is the player in question playing today or not?

You're in the semi-finals of State Cup, oh wait no you aren't you are disqualified, oh wait never mind you aren't disqualified and are in the semi-finals again. Freaking ridiculously stupid all the way around. Serious * marks next to Anaheim Surf and great job botching this whole thing up Cal South. I hope Legends crush Anaheim Surf after all this crap because lord knows after all of this no one besides some Anaheim Surf parents want to actually see that team make the finals.

I think it would be a crazy game playing Anaheim Surf. the kids know what's going on from all the teams because the parents talk. I think it would be a disaster to allowed them to play (Anaheim Surf). I hope this won't escalate to something worst on the field.

After all is said and done, with all the factual evidence surrounding BW, how does this guy have a job in youth circuit? And if it's true that most of these girls are headed to Blues next season, how does AS deal with this PR nightmare? Does this all get swept under the rug?
Yes, it appears that is exactly what is happening.

Will this girl play as an 06 for the rest of her life to substantiate these lies? So, she has a December birthday in 2016 and now going forward she changes it. From what I have heard, she is disqualified for having multiple CalSouth registration numbers and not because she is playing 2006 and she is a 2005.

You're in the semi-finals of State Cup, oh wait no you aren't you are disqualified, oh wait never mind you aren't disqualified and are in the semi-finals again. Freaking ridiculously stupid all the way around. Serious * marks next to Anaheim Surf and great job botching this whole thing up Cal South. I hope Legends crush Anaheim Surf after all this crap because lord knows after all of this no one besides some Anaheim Surf parents want to actually see that team make the finals.

Reminds me of a situation I suffered through a few years ago when a player was ruled eligible, then ineligible, then eligible again, then (finally) ineligible, all in the course of a week. And the team he played for was during the intervals of the player being declared eligible was disqualified, re-qualified, then disqualified again, all in 3 days. One difference in that case, however, is that even though Calsouth finally admitted their error, the player and team were finally ineligible and disqualified.

No way! Don't do that....Legends girls should not have to prove anything. They are too young to have to sit this out to show that some adult higher ups have no integrity.
Let them play. Legends have earned a spot in the semis! Forfeiting to prove a point is not the answer.
Wow, I got my first dislike! Why? Because little girls who have worked so hard to get to the semis honestly are thinking of forfeiting to prove a point to cheating adults? It should never have reached this point that an honest team would feel they have to do this. I say Legends should go and play soccer. Those little girls earned their spot in the semi finals. Who they play is not their fault, right? If all of this is true, the 05 shouldn't get to play, the friend who knew, and also the cousin of the girl shouldn't get to play. The coach shouldn't get to coach. However it works out, I hope Legends dds play.
BTW, my dd is older and doesn't play for any of these clubs. Just wanted to add my 2 cents.

This is so disheartening as a parent to see what has transpired. As an adult, we would never be associated with a business like this. How can I honestly pay to have my daughter be associated with Cal South??

My daughter doesn't understand how they can be still playing when they played with an 05..

Thanks Cal South for teaching my DD that cheaters prosper!!

Thank you for starting this post. While there has been a ton of information already posted, it is probably time to just put all the information (notice I did not use the term facts because those are becoming harder and harder to come by) out there. None of this is meant to hurt the child but to raise a very serious issue. It is also because some CalSouth Board members have chosen to completely go against the investigation authority and mountains of evidence that points to an 'ineligible' player playing through the games to date.

But, before anything else gets said, lets all remember that this is about a 10/11 year old child. The adults surrounding this situation are the ones that this is about and the lessons that come out of this.

So, lets now get to the information and let people make their own decision on what is true. Last week a number of rumors were swirling that there was an 05 player on the Anaheim Surf team. This discussion was circulating based on a number of coaches who all began asking questions. This wasnt some sudden revelation but one that was driven by facts on the ground over the last two years. Some may ask, 'Why didnt this come out earlier?' Well, as was stated earlier, this was not one of the premier players on the team and went unnoticed. So, what information is known?

Two seasons ago, this player was playing at Corinthians and at that time was registered under one name with a birth certificate that showed a birthday in 2005. This was later confirmed by individuals who were involved at that time and provided evidence that she had a 2005 birthday. The next year, as has been stated by multiple people, she was heavily recruited (in what appears to have been a package deal) to play for BW. This girl was the lynchpin for recruiting the other 2 girls and many thought they wouldnt stay if she wasnt there. But, thats just interesting. During the 2015/16 season, this player played for BW and there were issues identified by the club about her birth year and, some have said, this contributed to BWs departure from his prior club.

However, this year is the most important. At the beginning of the year, this player was registered as a new player with a new name (added a hyphen name to the name she was previously registered with) and a new CalSouth player number. She played through the year with this team. During the year, however, some coaches in the know raised this issue. One from his prior club knew this was happening and raised it to the club and the club chose to ignore it. I cannot confirm this but am told that during one game a former coach from BWs prior club actually went to a game to see if this player was playing and demanded she be removed from the field and BW did. But, that didnt change anything. Again, I cannot confirm that but have been told that by other coaches.

As others have said on other threads, this girl and the other 2 players had tried out with other teams and those teams would not take them on because she was an 05. BW chose differently.

Now we get to the real good stuff! So, this week, after talking with prior individuals from the prior club and coaches who had talked and pieced together enough to become aware of what was happening, a protest was filed. At that point CalSouth begins its investigation. The investigation over the last week is one that you see in movies. Multiple birth certificates that were used to register and allow the player to play for 2 years that showed 05 birthdays and one this year that showed 06. I am also told that one was provided this week that was 'pristine' with not a single crease or smudge on it that showed 06. While I do not know all the info, I do know that CalSouth made the decision at that point that this player was ineligible and that would result in a forfeit of the Quarterfinals game. On Thursday the ruling was provided and posted. Rule 9.4 from the State/National Cup rule book is below:

1. 9.4. Any team found guilty of using an ineligible player is not eligible to compete further in the State Cup and USYS Reg. IV Presidents Cup Regionals and US Youth Soccer Presidents Cup National Finals competitions in the current seasonal year. Any coach, manager, or official found guilty of knowingly using an ineligible player is not eligible to compete further in the State Cup and USYS Reg. IV Presidents Cup Regionals and US Youth Soccer Presidents Cup National Finals competitions in the current and subsequent seasonal year. Ineligible player incidents will be reported to the Cal South Protest, Appeals (PAD) Committee for review and/or disciplinary action.

We all watched the forum explode for this age group the last two days and saw the flaming emotions and comments on this topic. And, we all saw many comments from people who knew this was going on and no one was able to refute any of it.

Tonight, LAGSB was notified that Anaheim Surf would continue and play in the semifinals. They were told that there was no way to overturn this and that 'because all the parents and families didnt know' they would let them keep playing. They also stated that the player would be suspended. The decision to overturn the investigators was overturned by CQ and RC of CalSouth BoD directly. When questioned, they refused to state that the player was 'ineligible' because that would invoke rule 9.4 and they would have to hold to the original ruling.

At the end of the day, these are 10 and 11 year old girls! What are we teaching these children? Anaheim Surf has been working to systematically cover this up for over a year! No one can deny that! I dont think anyone would disagree that the majority of players and parents on that team deserve to get to play. And, I understand the EMOTIONAL argument that 'this wasnt an impact player so why does it matter?' It matters because we all play by a set of rules. Cal South stands up on its high horse with rules but doesnt adhere to them. What does this teach our kids? Oh, we dont want to hurt their feelings so we are going to find a way to let this one slide. Why didnt they let the issue slide last year with the boys in this age group that had an 'ineligible' player for a game that they had to forfeit and the losing QF team moved forward? Because they were playing by the rules!

Some other things to ponder:

1) BW is a CalSouth ODP coach.
2) Why did CQ and RC choose to overrule this ruling at 7PM the night before the game?
3) Did no parent on AS team really know about this?
4) Why did Anaheim Surf not do something about this when it was raised to them months ago?
5) Do we really believe the coach didnt know about this when many other coaches knew about this?

Youth sports plays a major role in our kids lives and helps them learn values of teamwork, discipline, honesty and integrity. In this case, we do not see that. It will be interesting to see how long this child has to have fake birthdays to substantiate a 2006 birthday.

Thanks spineless CalSouth for completely disposing of the core values you espouse.

Core Values:

Excellence | Passion | Integrity | Innovation | Development

Great post. Except it's all completely wrong.

A valid, embossed, stamped, original birth certificate was examined by the registrar prior to the season. A valid, embossed, stamped, original birth certificate was produced upon CalSouth request and examined by CalSouth. A second form of picture ID was produced confirming the 2006 birth date. School records were produced confirming the 2006 birth date.

CalSouth made the right decision here.

It's disheartening, but not surprising, to see anonymous forum posters so gleefully assume wrongdoing and a grand conspiracy. Questions remain, and they will get sorted. But it's clear that the club did everything right and nothing can change the fact a valid, embossed, stamped, original birth certificate was produced and examined by multiple individuals this week.

I think all the parents from Anaheim Surf knew she was older before state cup. They all allowed it to continue. But, I don't know what the coach told them. I'm just assuming.

Back