USWNT

Netherlands 3-0 over England. The Dutch could be a real problem in the future. Their team is extremely technical and they are European so they will have the size thing covered.

Love the reference to Nadeshiko...very cool.

My heart is with our US Women, but my eyes tell me those little Ninjas are going to Ginsu our a$$:eek:
I hear you ZD however the US defeated them 2-0 last year and tied 3-3 in their most recent match which was also last June 2016...I think Alex Morgan had 3 goals over the two games...

I hear you ZD however the US defeated them 2-0 last year and tied 3-3 in their most recent match which was also last June 2016...I think Alex Morgan had 3 goals over the two games...

You may be right. And supposively japan is in rebuild mode. But based on what we've seen over the last few games, US is vulnerable and will be exposed.

So here it is, im going 1-0, Japan....Any takes??

You may be right. And supposively japan is in rebuild mode. But based on what we've seen over the last few games, US is vulnerable and will be exposed.

So here it is, im going 1-0, Japan....Any takes??
IDK ZD, depends which formation and line-up Jill Ellis puts on the pitch. If it's the players who she subbed in the last 15 mins or so in the Brazil game. I say US WNT.

IDK ZD, depends which formation and line-up Jill Ellis puts on the pitch. If it's the players who she subbed in the last 15 mins or so in the Brazil game. I say US WNT.
I read that the Japan squad is very young so I sure hope the US can win...but I agree NG if coach plays the "kickball squad" then Japan will be able to dominate like the Brazilians did in the first half of that game....

I read that the Japan squad is very young so I sure hope the US can win...but I agree NG if coach plays the "kickball squad" then Japan will be able to dominate like the Brazilians did in the first half of that game....
It's the same line-up from the last 15 mins vs Brazil. Be nice, it's the direct soccer line-up. ;)

It's the same line-up from the last 15 mins vs Brazil. Be nice, it's the direct soccer line-up. ;)

Long kick counterattack leads to USA goal. Nice stall fake by Rapinoe to drop the defender and get the keeper moving, then shoot between them.

Boy was I wrong. I'm darn lucky no one took me up on the wager ;-)
The Japanese team is young and their style of soccer is built on rhythm. I saw glimpses of their superior passing in tight spaces trying to unlock the US defense. Give them 2 more years together.

IMO, if US WNT coaches were forming their team and if those Japanese players were US citizens. They wouldn't be called up...that's how different their player slection is compared to ours.

The experience of watching both teams was awesome. Funny but I found the warm-ups as interesting as the game. The warm-ups reflected each teams approach to the game. I liked how organized the USWNT were at the back. They were able to deter Japan room to be creative or get deep into their own half for most of the game. However, Japan was able to create some beautiful moments in front of the US goal. Overall Japan was not its productive self because of the US defense. Despite this Japan never deviated away from their game plan and I appreciated that. The US outside defenders also pushed deep into Japan's half and Julie Ertz (formerly Johnston) pushed up quite a bit in the first half. When the ball was pushed wide to either Pugh or Rapone they were able to spread Japan and create passing lanes directly to the goal, as well as dangerous opportunities. This was great because there was build up from the back to the forward line. Hope there is more of this kind of play. What I did not like was the long balls from the defense or the goalie deep into Japan's half. This happened far to many times. The US defenders would pass it around the back until a forward created space or a 1:1 situation and then the ball was sent forward. Yes, it did create one goal, but this will not work majority of the time. Overall fun game.

The experience of watching both teams was awesome. Funny but I found the warm-ups as interesting as the game. The warm-ups reflected each teams approach to the game. I liked how organized the USWNT were at the back. They were able to deter Japan room to be creative or get deep into their own half for most of the game. However, Japan was able to create some beautiful moments in front of the US goal. Overall Japan was not its productive self because of the US defense. Despite this Japan never deviated away from their game plan and I appreciated that. The US outside defenders also pushed deep into Japan's half and Julie Ertz (formerly Johnston) pushed up quite a bit in the first half. When the ball was pushed wide to either Pugh or Rapone they were able to spread Japan and create passing lanes directly to the goal, as well as dangerous opportunities. This was great because there was build up from the back to the forward line. Hope there is more of this kind of play. What I did not like was the long balls from the defense or the goalie deep into Japan's half. This happened far to many times. The US defenders would pass it around the back until a forward created space or a 1:1 situation and then the ball was sent forward. Yes, it did create one goal, but this will not work majority of the time. Overall fun game.

A few long balls from the defense convinces the opponent that they must defend against that tactic.

And one goal is often enough to win at this level.

A few long balls from the defense convinces the opponent that they must defend against that tactic.

And one goal is often enough to win at this level.
Understand that but it was not one or two. It dominated there attack. Need to move away from that...

Need to? Why?
Stated that in my first post. Because it does not work. Example did not work against Australia and against Brazil. It's fine as an option, but not as the primary attack. Better example when the US lost to Sweden in the Olympics they tried to drop the ball over the Swedish defensive line.

The Japanese team is young and their style of soccer is built on rhythm. I saw glimpses of their superior passing in tight spaces trying to unlock the US defense. Give them 2 more years together.

IMO, if US WNT coaches were forming their team and if those Japanese players were US citizens. They wouldn't be called up...that's how different their player slection is compared to ours.
NG I agree the Japanese team looked great in tight spaces and created chances in the first half such that the US 1-0 lead was fairly characterized as fragile. They are building towards a great team very young now but getting great experience that will pay off later.

Back