USSDA 2017/2018

Since we are passed May 1st, maybe we can have more of a discussion about the upcoming GDA season. There are a few teams registered for Legends FC College Showcase, SilverLakes Showcase, and Surf Cup prior to the August 1st start date when rosters are set. Should be some fun competition...

There have been questions surrounding ECNL players and whether or not they will transition to GDA. All of the parents that I have been in contact with have stated that most ECNL players are choosing to play for a GDA team. There are still questions regarding Arsenal ECNL and Strikers ECNL players. Will they remain with their current ECNL teams or will they switch to GDA? I know a few players that have already committed to a GDA team, so those teams will not be completely intact next season and there may be more jumping ship now that the transfer time is upon us. Teams will definitely look different.

As for high school, most of our dd's will be entering their Freshman year (some will only be 8th graders), so missing one year of soccer to see how this pans out is not a big deal to most players. They will still have 3 more years of high school soccer if the GDA isn't what was expected.

Some GDA teams already have their rosters set and other teams are just beginning their try-outs to add to their existing teams. Most ECNL teams going GDA will most likely have their existing teams with a few additional players. Some teams will carry the full 23 players and others will only carry the minimum of 16. Some players chose a "fully funded" GDA to save a few bucks and others opted to continue to pay for a specific club/coach. There is and will be a lot of movement, so teams will be changing. We are all trying to find what is best for our dd's and our family (cost, drive time, coach, high school, club, friends, etc).

So looking ahead, here are the teams our dd's will be facing in the upcoming season:
Albion SC, San Diego, Calif.
Beach Futbol Club, Torrance, Calif.
Eagles Soccer Club, Camarillo, Calif.
LA Galaxy, Carson, Calif.
LA Galaxy San Diego, Carlsbad, Calif.
LAFC Slammers, Costa Mesa, Calif.
Legends FC, Chino, Calif.
Los Angeles Premier Futbol Club, La Canada Flintridge, Calif.
Pateadores, Costa Mesa, Calif.
Real So Cal, Woodland Hills, Calf.
San Diego Surf Soccer Club, Del Mar, Calif.
SC del Sol, Phoenix, Ariz.
So Cal Blues Soccer Club, Laguna Hills, Calif.
West Coast Futbol Club, Laguna Hills, Calif.

This will definitely be an interesting and exciting new season for our dds. Some new and some old competition; however, it will be a nice change from the same old teams we have played in the past. It is always nice to mix things up a bit and this season is going to do that for sure. Any thoughts?

Since we are passed May 1st, maybe we can have more of a discussion about the upcoming GDA season. There are a few teams registered for Legends FC College Showcase, SilverLakes Showcase, and Surf Cup prior to the August 1st start date when rosters are set. Should be some fun competition...

There have been questions surrounding ECNL players and whether or not they will transition to GDA. All of the parents that I have been in contact with have stated that most ECNL players are choosing to play for a GDA team. There are still questions regarding Arsenal ECNL and Strikers ECNL players. Will they remain with their current ECNL teams or will they switch to GDA? I know a few players that have already committed to a GDA team, so those teams will not be completely intact next season and there may be more jumping ship now that the transfer time is upon us. Teams will definitely look different.

As for high school, most of our dd's will be entering their Freshman year (some will only be 8th graders), so missing one year of soccer to see how this pans out is not a big deal to most players. They will still have 3 more years of high school soccer if the GDA isn't what was expected.

Some GDA teams already have their rosters set and other teams are just beginning their try-outs to add to their existing teams. Most ECNL teams going GDA will most likely have their existing teams with a few additional players. Some teams will carry the full 23 players and others will only carry the minimum of 16. Some players chose a "fully funded" GDA to save a few bucks and others opted to continue to pay for a specific club/coach. There is and will be a lot of movement, so teams will be changing. We are all trying to find what is best for our dd's and our family (cost, drive time, coach, high school, club, friends, etc).

So looking ahead, here are the teams our dd's will be facing in the upcoming season:

This will definitely be an interesting and exciting new season for our dds. Some new and some old competition; however, it will be a nice change from the same old teams we have played in the past. It is always nice to mix things up a bit and this season is going to do that for sure. Any thoughts?
As a parent whose daughters are 1 and 2 years away from being eligible for DA, I am as many, interested on how this all works out too. You point out some things to consider regarding which option is best for players this upcoming year. With the purpose of the GDA to supposedly change how players are developed are parents questioning the curriculum of those clubs they may have their daughters play for as well? I would think this is also a key decision when choosing a club.

As a parent whose daughters are 1 and 2 years away from being eligible for DA, I am as many, interested on how this all works out too. You point out some things to consider regarding which option is best for players this upcoming year. With the purpose of the GDA to supposedly change how players are developed are parents questioning the curriculum of those clubs they may have their daughters play for as well? I would think this is also a key decision when choosing a club.
Especially now that US Soccer still has not rolled out a curriculum itself. Without one doesn't really change much than what is already in place from club to club.

Yes, it is fair to say our dd's will probably begin to see a lot of movement among clubs very soon by players. You said it very well. It will be refreshing to see the shuffling of the decks.

Nice post! This year has definitely been different with the timing of tryouts for ECNL vs non-ECNL clubs. Non-ECNL clubs have been done with their seasons since March/April while the ECNL season stretches to the end of May (and June for those in the playoffs) so I'm sure there will be plenty of movement over the next two months. My DD is super excited to stay with her coach and play DA, but it will be interesting to see how she makes the transition into high school without the social cushion of belonging to the soccer team and balancing increased homework with additional practice days. I know most of our girls are already practicing 3-4 days a week, but that's with the flexibility of private training etc... I'm not worried about it- she's a motivated kid and this is what she wanted (and worked for!), but just curious how it's going to play out.

Great post Sandypk. I think the key to the GDA versus ECNL debate will be what the parents of the players who have an invitation to both an ECNL or GDA roster spot decide. I think many of the soccer parents for these players are ultra-competitive in So Cal. If these parents view a GDA spot as the highest level of competitive soccer for the 2017/2018 season, then they will push their dd to those teams. If the parents feel that ECNL is better for their dd due to coaching, playing HS soccer, playing ODP, etc., then the likelihood is strong to stay in ECNL.

As stated in your OP, many of the 03's will be freshmen in September. How will these players balance the school workload with the soccer workload? Four mandatory practices per week along with school may prove to be too much. The GDA program will at the very least weed out the players who are not 100% committed to soccer.

I think the strong clubs that did not have ECNL but now have GDA are safe in keeping their high caliber players. If your dd is already at Legends, Beach, LAG (South Bay or Carlsbad) and others, why move her? If your dd is one of the five best players on her current ECNL team, then the non-ECNL GDA clubs are hoping and praying they can pry those players away. That is why I feel Strikers and Arsenal are most vulnerable at this time. Blues, Slammers, Surf and West Coast should be okay with the transition to GDA. Since these clubs have both teams, they should be able to retain the high caliber players they want.

By the way, since the ECNL season doesn't finish until the end of this month, I think there is much more movement coming. When you add in the ECNL teams that will likely make the playoffs, those players may not switch until June/July. I don't think we will have a very good sense of player movement until August 1st.

Yes, it is fair to say our dd's will probably begin to see a lot of movement among clubs very soon by players. You said it very well. It will be refreshing to see the shuffling of the decks.
A lot of movement is going on behind closed doors, as they say. When playoffs are over we will see some surprise moves!

Great post Sandypk. I think the key to the GDA versus ECNL debate will be what the parents of the players who have an invitation to both an ECNL or GDA roster spot decide. I think many of the soccer parents for these players are ultra-competitive in So Cal. If these parents view a GDA spot as the highest level of competitive soccer for the 2017/2018 season, then they will push their dd to those teams. If the parents feel that ECNL is better for their dd due to coaching, playing HS soccer, playing ODP, etc., then the likelihood is strong to stay in ECNL.

As stated in your OP, many of the 03's will be freshmen in September. How will these players balance the school workload with the soccer workload? Four mandatory practices per week along with school may prove to be too much. The GDA program will at the very least weed out the players who are not 100% committed to soccer.

I think the strong clubs that did not have ECNL but now have GDA are safe in keeping their high caliber players. If your dd is already at Legends, Beach, LAG (South Bay or Carlsbad) and others, why move her? If your dd is one of the five best players on her current ECNL team, then the non-ECNL GDA clubs are hoping and praying they can pry those players away. That is why I feel Strikers and Arsenal are most vulnerable at this time. Blues, Slammers, Surf and West Coast should be okay with the transition to GDA. Since these clubs have both teams, they should be able to retain the high caliber players they want.

By the way, since the ECNL season doesn't finish until the end of this month, I think there is much more movement coming. When you add in the ECNL teams that will likely make the playoffs, those players may not switch until June/July. I don't think we will have a very good sense of player movement until August 1st.

I have already heard of movement from Arsenal and Strikers to GDA prior to playoffs. Some verbal commitments have already taken place. Also, moves from Beach to other DA's and Galaxy SB to other DA's. I haven't heard anyone wanting to go to an ECNL team right now. But, I'm sure it can happen. Anything is possible right now. Even before playoffs, ECNL players are looking around. They don't want to be left behind. I agree...Blues, Slammers, Surf, and WC should be fine. They already know who they are taking to the GDA. They just need to round out their teams. I'm sure offers were already given to the players they really want to keep. For those who were told "maybe", they will be the ones looking around for a new home. Clubs need to be careful when giving a few offers to GDA and then the other players get a "maybe". The "maybe" makes parents upset and causes them to react by taking their players elsewhere... Then the clubs are stuck trying to fill the spots with, hopefully, other good players displaced from their club teams. It's funny because the "maybe" players were probably better than the new players filling spots because now the club needs to scramble to find replacements. Hopefully, clubs do things the smart way and won't offer spots until they already have replacements.
I've already heard that this happened to a specific club. The "maybe's" left the team and went to another GDA. Now the team is left trying to fill the void. Sad.

I have already heard of movement from Arsenal and Strikers to GDA prior to playoffs. Some verbal commitments have already taken place. Also, moves from Beach to other DA's and Galaxy SB to other DA's. I haven't heard anyone wanting to go to an ECNL team right now. But, I'm sure it can happen. Anything is possible right now. Even before playoffs, ECNL players are looking around. They don't want to be left behind. I agree...Blues, Slammers, Surf, and WC should be fine. They already know who they are taking to the GDA. They just need to round out their teams. I'm sure offers were already given to the players they really want to keep. For those who were told "maybe", they will be the ones looking around for a new home. Clubs need to be careful when giving a few offers to GDA and then the other players get a "maybe". The "maybe" makes parents upset and causes them to react by taking their players elsewhere... Then the clubs are stuck trying to fill the spots with, hopefully, other good players displaced from their club teams. It's funny because the "maybe" players were probably better than the new players filling spots because now the club needs to scramble to find replacements. Hopefully, clubs do things the smart way and won't offer spots until they already have replacements.
I've already heard that this happened to a specific club. The "maybe's" left the team and went to another GDA. Now the team is left trying to fill the void. Sad.
Sandypk, what is the saying, "don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see". There are offers out there that won't be known until after playoffs. Tryouts might be for the 12-18# spots.

The curriculum will be interesting to watch this year, especially how each club interprets the curriculum. I'm not sure all clubs will be adhering to the same curriculum. All coaches will probably put their own personal style into the curriculum. The curriculum will be, most likely, a hybrid model looking different on every team:
A mixture of Club style/Coach style/US Soccer Curriculum.

The curriculum will be interesting to watch this year, especially how each club interprets the curriculum. I'm not sure all clubs will be adhering to the same curriculum. All coaches will probably put their own personal style into the curriculum. The curriculum will be, most likely, a hybrid model looking different on every team:
A mixture of Club style/Coach style/US Soccer Curriculum.
If and when US Soccer introduces a curriculum I hope that coaching staffs do adhere to the principals/heart of the curriculum and not pretend their implementing it or just choose portions of it that they like and disregard the rest. However, I hope the curriculum that is rolled out is worthy as well.

If and when US Soccer introduces a curriculum I hope that coaching staffs do adhere to the principals/heart of the curriculum and not pretend their implementing it or just choose portions of it that they like and disregard the rest. However, I hope the curriculum that is rolled out is worthy as well.
I am a firm believer in a set curriculum and a coaching staff that can implement it by providing a clear explanation of the concepts/skills/tactics, as well being able demonstrate or model it as well. There are plenty coaches/trainers that have credentials and have been given the reigns to DA/ECNL teams but lack the ability to teach the curriculum, so what do they do? Recruit players and just throw the ball on the field and say, “play”.

IMO Curriculum is vastly overrated in youth soccer. It's more important to identify a style of play and hire the right coaches to implement that style into the Club's vision. Sure some activities may be taught across the club, but we're not trying to create robots. One formula doesn't fit all players, just like one formation doesn't suit every situation. The training environment is more important than the curriculum and that's not to say that sessions aren't important, but you have no business coaching in the USSDA if you don't know how to deliver quality training sessions. Kids go to different learning institutions that have completely different ideas about how to develop children and the results from one to the next can be equally impressive or unimpressive. Those that thrive, most often have a more flexible approach to education, that tailors to the individual, rather than the collective. Yes there has to be a measurable standard of education and training but providing a curriculum to all the clubs will produce the same predictable robotic players that are already allowing the rest of the World to catch up to the US and in increasing frequency surpass our levels of play and let's be honest...right now..."Who?" in USWNT soccer could develop and deliver a curriculum and model of play designed to propel these talented ladies to the next level? It would probably start on page one of the curriculum with a diagram of a kid kicking the ball all the way to the back page! I bet Martha didn't have a curriculum

IMO Curriculum is vastly overrated in youth soccer. It's more important to identify a style of play and hire the right coaches to implement that style into the Club's vision. Sure some activities may be taught across the club, but we're not trying to create robots. One formula doesn't fit all players, just like one formation doesn't suit every situation. The training environment is more important than the curriculum and that's not to say that sessions aren't important, but you have no business coaching in the USSDA if you don't know how to deliver quality training sessions. Kids go to different learning institutions that have completely different ideas about how to develop children and the results from one to the next can be equally impressive or unimpressive. Those that thrive, most often have a more flexible approach to education, that tailors to the individual, rather than the collective. Yes there has to be a measurable standard of education and training but providing a curriculum to all the clubs will produce the same predictable robotic players that are already allowing the rest of the World to catch up to the US and in increasing frequency surpass our levels of play and let's be honest...right now..."Who?" in USWNT soccer could develop and deliver a curriculum and model of play designed to propel these talented ladies to the next level? It would probably start on page one of the curriculum with a diagram of a kid kicking the ball all the way to the back page! I bet Martha didn't have a curriculum

Actually I have a completely different view than you on what the GDA curriculum is than you - maybe you have not seen anything. The problem today is there is a club vision and that vision is fubar especially in clubs like Blues (sorry I pick on them a lot). Wait until you see the final curriculum and how it is applied to specific player needs etc. and I hope you will change your mind that curriculum is overrated - it is needed and the problem today.

I see your point here and you make valid points. But, curriculum can dictate a style of play. And as Sandypk mentioned a curriculum can reflect the personal touches of a coach thus eliminating a robotic approach. As does taking the heart of the curriculum and making it your own. Robotic would mean looking at the curriculum from a literal perspective and not really understanding it all.

IMO Curriculum is vastly overrated in youth soccer. It's more important to identify a style of play and hire the right coaches to implement that style into the Club's vision. Sure some activities may be taught across the club, but we're not trying to create robots. One formula doesn't fit all players, just like one formation doesn't suit every situation. The training environment is more important than the curriculum and that's not to say that sessions aren't important, but you have no business coaching in the USSDA if you don't know how to deliver quality training sessions. Kids go to different learning institutions that have completely different ideas about how to develop children and the results from one to the next can be equally impressive or unimpressive. Those that thrive, most often have a more flexible approach to education, that tailors to the individual, rather than the collective. Yes there has to be a measurable standard of education and training but providing a curriculum to all the clubs will produce the same predictable robotic players that are already allowing the rest of the World to catch up to the US and in increasing frequency surpass our levels play and let's be honest...right now..."Who?" in USWNT soccer could develop and deliver a curriculum and model of play designed to propel these talented ladies to the next level? It would probably start on page one of the curriculum with a diagram of a kid kicking the ball all the way to the back page! I bet Martha didn't have a curriculum
One of the reasons the rest of the world is catching up, our players practice two days a week with maybe a private training thrown in when schedule permits. Most of the Asian countries have their players train five days a week! Hmm, which schedule will produce the most skilled players?

Good coaches are already doing his. The scrimmage clown ones with no understanding of the game are still doing business as usual. Waiting to see when they are forced to if at all after Aug 1. There are some really good programs though taking things to heart

I've been further contemplating your words...I think what we both believe in is creativity and not suffocating it.

Back