U 17 Women's World Cup

Nice plug for Beach but the Japanese player that I saw with the most technique was 15. It's clearly the coaching. The team was almost identical to the one that the US beat (and they were outplayed then). The difference is their coach ADJUSTED to what he learned. Our coach, well we saw what his adjustment was. Kick it to Sanchez and Kuhlman (who is not very technical AT ALL).

I have not seen Kuhlman play enough, but if she does have a poor touch. The Japanese coaches would then weed out Kuhlman from their player pool.

You are posting as if the U17 YNT players have donkey touches. Many on the G99/98 age group thread will be the first to tell you after having their DDs competing against these girls for years. They are just as technical with the ball as the Japanese players are. The issue is the US style of play.....US soccer doesn't play possession soccer and a US Soccer managed Girls DA will be business as usual. Take Ashley Sanchez and Kiara (Kiki) Pickett. Both are the most technical players in the 1999 birth year age group, just as technical as any of the Japanese players. The root of the problem is they were developed to play 1v1, 1v2, etc vs playing a true possession based system like Japan. Where the runs are made before the pass.

If you take a Spanish or Japanese coach they will be able to implement the same style of play with the players who are on the U17 YNT give or take a player.

The good news for Sanchez and Pickett is that they are going to two of the college coaches that actually teach a possession system.

I have not seen Kuhlman play enough, but if she does have a poor touch. The Japanese coaches would then weed out Kuhlman from their player pool.

She is a physical player that can run and finish and against technical players or ones that are as physical as her she disappears.

The good news for Sanchez and Pickett is that they are going to two of the college coaches that actually teach a possession system.
Sorry to be a stick in the mud but Pickett yes Sanchez no. Sorry AC looked good for 2 years cause she had Killion. She knows no more about it than BS. And just to clarify I am not convinced yet with our current situation either. Time will tell.

Sorry to be a stick in the mud but Pickett yes Sanchez no. Sorry AC looked good for 2 years cause she had Killion. She knows no more about it than BS. And just to clarify I am not convinced yet with our current situation either. Time will tell.

Sorry that I have to disagree with you on this one but you must not have watched any of UCLA's games. If you did you wouldn't be saying that. They out possessed every team that they played this year and are very patient in the 18 yard box (why they are near the bottom of the conference in shots). Fleming is better than Killion. Just take your passing stats meter the next time you watch them play (try this Thursday or watch the replay against Cal) and you will be impressed. You are correct about USC. They are FAR from a possession team.

Are you saying that Keidane is a better coach than Amanda? If so not many people would agree with you on that one. Cromwell is 51-12-6 and McAlpine is 35-22-7. Not even close. I hope that the Trojans feel the same way when they meet up. They will be in for a surprise. Keidane has never won anything at 'SC and if he doesn't do it this year he is in for 3 years of complete dominance by the Bruins.

Anyone can look like Barcelona against inferior teams.

e.g., Spain did not look as dominant vs Mexico as they did vs Jordan.

U.S. does not have the technical players if they do their not within the ranks.

Anyone can look like Barcelona against inferior teams e.g., Spain did not look as dominant vs Mexico as they did vs Jordan.

U.S. does not have the technical players if they do their not within the ranks.

The US has technical players. They just don't stand out and aren't picked in the 1v1 mentality of the US. Luca Deza. Remember that name.

Are you saying that Keidane is a better coach than Amanda? If so not many people would agree with you on that one. Cromwell is 51-12-6 and McAlpine is 35-22-7. Not even close. I hope that the Trojans feel the same way when they meet up. They will be in for a surprise. Keidane has never won anything at 'SC and if he doesn't do it this year he is in for 3 years of complete dominance by the Bruins.
First the talent she inherited was off the charts. Yeah with what he has done with what he started with yep he's better. He went up she went down - that simple and right now he is up on her. Second I am not going to get into another Strikers Beach FC discussion. Flemming is not even close to Killion period. Flemming is going to get stuffed by SC. If you watch the decision making on the field by UCLA players they do not have the mentality. They may have the ball more - ie possession but the mentality and choice of where to play it demonstrates the lack of possession IQ. Not saying we have it either but don't confuse the matter.

Sorry that I have to disagree with you on this one but you must not have watched any of UCLA's games. If you did you wouldn't be saying that. They out possessed every team that they played this year and are very patient in the 18 yard box (why they are near the bottom of the conference in shots). Fleming is better than Killion. Just take your passing stats meter the next time you watch them play (try this Thursday or watch the replay against Cal) and you will be impressed. You are correct about USC. They are FAR from a possession team.

I've watched many of UCLA Women's Soccer games these past 4 years with AC in charge and would not label them as a possession team. Relative to other teams, maybe, but not even remotely close to a real possession style like the Japanese women. Without their freshman phenom JF, who displays tremendous awareness on the field, they'd look far worse out there this year. She and Sr AA can maintain possession with their technical abilities and link very well with other players, but if not for those two and GM (another Sr), UCLA would probably kick it direct towards Jenkins most of the time. Last year was horrific and this year is still meh considering their immense talent level, so I'm not sold on AC proving to be much better than her underwhelming predecessors (Jill Ellis and BJ Snow).

The US has technical players. They just don't stand out and aren't picked in the 1v1 mentality of the US. Luca Deza. Remember that name.

Count me in as another big fan of Luca Deza. Love her skills and awareness. So wish there were more coaches like her father in So Cal, but guess that would mean us importing coaches from Catalonia rather than England. LOL

Last edited:
First the talent she inherited was off the charts. Yeah with what he has done with what he started with yep he's better. He went up she went down - that simple and right now he is up on her. Second I am not going to get into another Strikers Beach FC discussion. Flemming is not even close to Killion period. Flemming is going to get stuffed by SC. If you watch the decision making on the field by UCLA players they do not have the mentality. They may have the ball more - ie possession but the mentality and choice of where to play it demonstrates the lack of possession IQ. Not saying we have it either but don't confuse the matter.

Have you even seen Fleming play? We are going to have to agree to disagree on this one and I will bet you a 6 pack of Ballast Point Dorado that nobody in the 'SC midfield will do anything other than foul Fleming. The only player in the conference that approaches her technique is Andi Sullivan. And clearly we aren't going to get into that club debate because that has pretty much been settled.

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college/freshmentop100/?genderId=f&periodId=39&seasonId=2016&nopage=0

I've watched many of UCLA Women's Soccer games these past 4 years with AC in charge and would not label them as a possession team. Relative to other teams, maybe, but not even remotely close to a real possession style like the Japanese women. Without their freshman phenom JF, who displays tremendous awareness on the field, they'd look far worse out there this year. She and Sr AA can maintain possession with their technical abilities and link very well with other players, but if not for those two and GM (another Sr), UCLA would probably kick it direct towards Jenkins most of the time. Last year was horrific and this year is still meh considering their immense talent level, so I'm not sold on AC proving to be much better than her underwhelming predecessors (Jill Ellis and BJ Snow).

You can think what you want but you clearly do not know what you are talking about. Without going into it much more by request. You and Pulgita can say whatever you want but it is clear you aren't watching games. I have watched almost every game the last 4 years so you not being sold on AC is like you not being sold on voting for Hillary. I save my energy for those that don't have preset opinions. At least I know what Pulgita's agenda is (he would love his daughter to be in Blue and Gold).

You can think what you want but you clearly do not know what you are talking about. Without going into it much more by request. You and Pulgita can say whatever you want but it is clear you aren't watching games. I have watched almost every game the last 4 years so you not being sold on AC is like you not being sold on voting for Hillary. I save my energy for those that don't have preset opinions. At least I know what Pulgita's agenda is (he would love his daughter to be in Blue and Gold).

Wow, what a way to be insulting rather than having a civil discourse. Care to explain how my observations are false or that I "do not know what I'm talking about"? Secondly, I don't personally know Pulgita nor would I make any discouraging comments about his DD. Thirdly, I don't have any present opinions other than tremendous love for the program as a UCLA alumnus. I just don't have rose-colored glasses when observing all their sports programs.

You can think what you want but you clearly do not know what you are talking about. Without going into it much more by request. You and Pulgita can say whatever you want but it is clear you aren't watching games.
You sure do love the me against the world. Morgan outplayed Sullivan and she will outplay Flemming. Do you really think I don't watch the games? And come on, don't quote a TDS article. We all know they are a POS.

Have you even seen Fleming play? We are going to have to agree to disagree on this one and I will bet you a 6 pack of Ballast Point Dorado that nobody in the 'SC midfield will do anything other than foul Fleming. The only player in the conference that approaches her technique is Andi Sullivan. And clearly we aren't going to get into that club debate because that has pretty much been settled.

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college/freshmentop100/?genderId=f&periodId=39&seasonId=2016&nopage=0

Two Germans from NC State in the top 25 of your list, the Maryland kid isn't listed until 36. I guess Cali isn't so clueless.

The number 30 player should be in the top 20, though.

Wow, what a way to be insulting rather than having a civil discourse. Care to explain how my observations are false or that I "do not know what I'm talking about"? Secondly, I don't personally know Pulgita nor would I make any discouraging comments about his DD. Thirdly, I don't have any present opinions other than tremendous love for the program as a UCLA alumnus. I just don't have rose-colored glasses when observing all their sports programs.
Thanks BDO but he is not picking on my kid. He happens to like her very much. He is just a UCLA homer - actually a whatever team his kid is playing on homer, but especially a UCLA homer! I'm just a bit more of a pragmatist and tend to look at things for what they really are.

God has no idea what he is posting about either. I can name a couple of USC players who are technical; Daria and Savannah (enrolling in January). A lot of the Stanford, Duke, Virginia and UCLA players are technical.....Posters have now idea what they are posting about.

They are confusing the idea if players are not playing possession soccer, then they are not technical.

You are posting as if the U17 YNT players have donkey touches. Many on the G99/98 age group thread will be the first to tell you after having their DDs competing against these girls for years. They are just as technical with the ball as the Japanese players are. The issue is the US style of play.....US soccer doesn't play possession soccer and a US Soccer managed Girls DA will be business as usual. Take Ashley Sanchez and Kiara (Kiki) Pickett. Both are the most technical players in the 1999 birth year age group, just as technical as any of the Japanese players. The root of the problem is they were developed to play 1v1, 1v2, etc vs playing a true possession based system like Japan. Where the runs are made before the pass.

If you take a Spanish or Japanese coach they will be able to implement the same style of play with the players who are on the U17 YNT give or take a player.
Isnt there another "Sanchez"in the 99 age group?
God has no idea what he is posting about either. I can name a couple of USC players who are technical; Daria and Savannah (enrolling in January). A lot of the Stanford, Duke, Virginia and UCLA players are technical.....Posters have now idea what they are posting about.

They are confusing the idea if players are not playing possession soccer, then they are not technical.
I agree.

Back