U 17 Women's World Cup

Spain vs Mexico -
Oct 7

Spain looking real strong, actually rooting for them to win it. Little number 9 is a legend in the making.

Didn't see the game vs ghana. Any insight as to what happened?

We ran into a team that we couldn't out athlete. We had no speed advantage and it forced the team to try to work it through the middle which Ghana wouldn't allow. Ghana played exclusively direct. They controlled most of the game and exposed some major flaws. The winning goal was a PK due to a handball in the box with 10-12 to go. The US was in panic mode at that point and were unable to equalize.

The US went up 1-0 in the 5th minute. Ghana tied it 10 minutes into the 2nd half on a header. We have a small backline and add that to a team with similar (or better) athleticism and an upset happened. The game on Saturday against Japan is a must win. My player will be watching it. If I had a player in club I would have her watch it. A draw or loss and we go home.

Didn't see the game vs ghana. Any insight as to what happened?

USA played direct, long ball, kickball (or whatever you want to call it) all game long. Either they don't have a plan B or are incapable of it. It was really disappointing they couldn't possess and actually made no real attempt at it. Midfielders were consistently 20-30 yards away from the defenders, so the only options were for them to send it over the top or fire a bullet to the midfielders, who understandably had a hard time handling the passes. There was one occasion where the defender and the goalkeeper passed it back and forth at least 6 and maybe 8 times (3 or 4 times each) because the defender had no options. Midfielders would not come down to help out.

What do they do at the camps leading up to the cup? The team looked very unsophisticated to say the least. Prediction, Japan wins by 2 goals.

Spain vs Mexico -
Oct 7

Spain looking real strong, actually rooting for them to win it. Little number 9 is a legend in the making.

Looking forward to it. Haven't seen Spain's #9, but Mexico's Ovalle (#11 I think) is also a game changer. She almost beat the US by herself in some cup (forgot name) earlier this year.

Good luck to our U17 WNT. First game is going to shown live at 8:55 am on Saturday. GO USA!

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/201...mens-world-cup-in-jordan-to-air-on-fox-sports
If they are going to out athlete Japan, they need to start that Smith girl who came in late in the 2nd half.
How well does that work against Barcelona? That is what Japan is at the moment. And with the FIFA rules of 3 subs you can pressure for about 15 minutes and if you don't you are going to chase for the rest of the game. This out athlete philosophy is garbage and the sooner the US realizes it the better. The problem is that the clubs haven't got the message. Epic fail.

How well does that work against Barcelona? That is what Japan is at the moment. And with the FIFA rules of 3 subs you can pressure for about 15 minutes and if you don't you are going to chase for the rest of the game. This out athlete philosophy is garbage and the sooner the US realizes it the better. The problem is that the clubs haven't got the message. Epic fail.

I agree with you as I have told you many times in the past. Player selection and gameplan is horrible.

I agree with you as I have told you many times in the past. Player selection and gameplan is horrible.

All of these girls come from different clubs which are teaching and promoting different styles of play. US Soccer player selection is completely subjective and with very little agreed upon criteria. Camps are all about which individual can dazzel the coaches in drills and scrimmages. Bring that all together for a tournament and it comes out looking like this. Ugly! This isn't a team per say as it is a handful of talented individuals brought together to win a championships. Just ask the New York Yankees how that's worked out for them lately. In order for the US women to compete at these younger ages, it will require a residency program where style of play, coaching and training are consistent over time. So far there's been little or no appetite for such a program (for all the obvious reasons).

All of these girls come from different clubs which are teaching and promoting different styles of play. US Soccer player selection is completely subjective and with very little agreed upon criteria. Camps are all about which individual can dazzel the coaches in drills and scrimmages. Bring that all together for a tournament and it comes out looking like this. Ugly! This isn't a team per say as it is a handful of talented individuals brought together to win a championships. Just ask the New York Yankees how that's worked out for them lately. In order for the US women to compete at these younger ages, it will require a residency program where style of play, coaching and training are consistent over time. So far there's been little or no appetite for such a program (for all the obvious reasons).
I agree 100% about a girls youth national team pool residency program. A true residency where they train and go to school together year on end as long as they get better. If not, cut the player, send her home and bring in another potential player to develop. Don't waste the money on a Girls DA league. Then have the team scrimmage their older counter parts, put them in whatever is the latest and greatest new league, and also have the uolder girls scrimmage D1 college teams.

I agree 100% about a girls youth national team pool residency program. A true residency where they train and go to school together year on end as long as they get better. If not, cut the player, send her home and bring in another potential player to develop. Don't waste the money on a Girls DA league. Then have the team scrimmage their older counter parts, put them in whatever is the latest and greatest new league, and also have the uolder girls scrimmage D1 college teams.
Better yet, lets just take a real Cal South ODP team, train them together for say 3-4 days a week like a club team with a really good coach for 6 months. There is our National Team.

Better yet, lets just take a real Cal South ODP team, train them together for say 3-4 days a week like a club team with a really good coach for 6 months. There is our National Team.
Yup and where defenders are actually selected instead of offensive players being converted.

Congrats on the big win yesterday. I haven't seen the replay yet but it's made me believe that the first two games were the flukes.

LOL right and the selection process at the ODP level is a farce, probably the same for this u17 team.

Back