Surf Cup -vs- Silverlakes Showcase

Silverlakes is definitely hotter - going to be 100+ all 4 days :). Where are the coaches going?

Silverlakes is definitely hotter - going to be 100+ all 4 days :). Where are the coaches going?
I love Surf Cup, and prefer games near the coast, but no need to spread misinformation about SilverLakes. Most games will be played Fri-Sun and, as of right now, it's forecast to be only a couple degrees hotter than the historical average for this time of year. None of this should be a shock to the teams that signed up for this tournament (or the coaches who have registered to attend).

upload_2018-7-23_9-19-35.png

Coaches from out of state deal with high temps in the summer all the time. Mid west -Texas can be just as hot as Norco. Coaches will deal with the heat since recruiting is a part of their job.

I love Surf Cup, and prefer games near the coast, but no need to spread misinformation about SilverLakes. Most games will be played Fri-Sun and, as of right now, it's forecast to be only a couple degrees hotter than the historical average for this time of year. None of this should be a shock to the teams that signed up for this tournament (or the coaches who have registered to attend).

View attachment 2976

Now that's how you put a positive spin on something!! So it's historically hot as hell out there and it's only forecast to be a couple of degrees hotter than hell that weekend. hmm?

However, you are correct. Everybody that signed up for that tournament knew exactly what they were signing up for so no need to cry about it here. Yes, I am talking about the parents who could have stood up and said no, let's do something different.

Now that's how you put a positive spin on something!! So it's historically hot as hell out there and it's only forecast to be a couple of degrees hotter than hell that weekend. hmm?
Not putting a positive spin on anything. 96 degree soccer games suck. But the OP was suggesting coaches would defect because of the weather forecast. I was addressing that particular suggestion.

Not putting a positive spin on anything. 96 degree soccer games suck. But the OP was suggesting coaches would defect because of the weather forecast. I was addressing that particular suggestion.

Remember that is 96 degrees in the shade. Del Mar (boys) will be 80, 74, 75 degrees and overcast (Sat-Mon) and Oceanside (girls) 80, 74, 78 degrees and overcast (Sat-Mon). As a referee I would much rather be working Surf Cup in Del Mar or Oceanside. As for the college coaches, they will have someone where they need to be to see the players they are interested in. Surf Cup has the DA teams playing Thu, Fri, Sun, Mon and Non-DA Sat, Sun, Mon. Silverlakes lists all teams including the DA teams playing Fri, Sat, Sun. I would imagine most of the college coaches will boogie up to Silverlakes on Saturday when the DA teams are not playing Surf Cup. The drive is not that far from Del Mar or Oceanside to Silverlakes, so it will be like last year and the coaches that may want to see players at another venue will travel to those players.

Remember that is 96 degrees in the shade. Del Mar (boys) will be 80, 74, 75 degrees and overcast (Sat-Mon) and Oceanside (girls) 80, 74, 78 degrees and overcast (Sat-Mon). As a referee I would much rather be working Surf Cup in Del Mar or Oceanside. As for the college coaches, they will have someone where they need to be to see the players they are interested in. Surf Cup has the DA teams playing Thu, Fri, Sun, Mon and Non-DA Sat, Sun, Mon. Silverlakes lists all teams including the DA teams playing Fri, Sat, Sun. I would imagine most of the college coaches will boogie up to Silverlakes on Saturday when the DA teams are not playing Surf Cup. The drive is not that far from Del Mar or Oceanside to Silverlakes, so it will be like last year and the coaches that may want to see players at another venue will travel to those players.
I agree entirely but would add that it's not just DA teams that coaches are interested in. Not all coaches are looking for the same thing. I saw over 20 coaches come to see one game between Flight 1 girls teams at Legends' SilverLakes tournament last month. Plus there's a lot of good ECNL teams (from within and out of state) playing at SilverLakes this year too.

View attachment 2976

"Historical average" temperature is part of the problem.

"Historical average" temperature is part of the problem.

Yeah. The historical average is 93 degrees for all 3 days and Friday is expected to be over 100 and breaking the record if cloud cover breaks up. When his DD loses 7-0 he says the lost by a couple of goals. All in fun Papa :).

So my experience says it has nothing to do with the weather at either places.

Coaches come to games to watch players they already have had contacts and some interests. I have never known any coach that simply cold visit games to "discover" talent. Not saying it doesn't happen but its not the norm, I don't believe.

The coaches will be at wherever the players of interests are. So if prospects are at Surf, they will be at Surf and if at Silverlakes, then at Silverlakes. Its a job to scout players and is for their livelihood ultimately as it translates into team success.

If its hot, its hot. If its cold, its cold. Weather has nothing do with scouting at which tournaments. Its a matter of who do they want to see.

Coaches come to games to watch players they already have had contacts and some interests. I have never known any coach that simply cold visit games to "discover" talent. Not saying it doesn't happen but its not the norm, I don't believe.

The coaches will be at wherever the players of interests are. So if prospects are at Surf, they will be at Surf and if at Silverlakes, then at Silverlakes. Its a job to scout players and is for their livelihood ultimately as it translates into team success.

If its hot, its hot. If its cold, its cold. Weather has nothing do with scouting at which tournaments. Its a matter of who do they want to see.

I would have to agree with this. I can only speak for my experience and those of the people we know and are familiar with so it is with amusement when I read all those posts on this forum from parents looking to get their kid discovered about how many coaches are where. I don't know what it matters since you only need one coach at your game. The one that you have been communicating with already and who is there to watch your child play. You want to know which venue they are going to be at? The same one as you! The same one that they the other players are at that they committed to watching and if that is two different venues, they will find a way to go to both. ....and since they are so busy, they won't spend a lot of time watching games looking for that hidden gem. They already seem to know where they are. If you are on their radar, trust me, you will know about it.

Last year so many people were saying the coaches want to go to the beach. Are you sure :).

If a player sends an email and invites a coach to their game- chances are the coach will try to come.
When we were U16 we didn’t get into Surf Cup but played at Carlsbad to piggy back the coaches at Surf. We had a handful of coaches come to Carlsbad and I know of 1 player that was recruited from that 1 Carlsbad invite and she is now playing D2 Soccer.
Bottom line: start communicating your interest and invite the coach no matter what tourney or where you are playing.

Last year so many people were saying the coaches want to go to the beach. Are you sure :).
LOL, you're trolling again....

You really should think about those parents that don't know the difference and take your words seriously as it relates to their kids.

Does anyone know whether any of the games will be streamed or if the games will be taped? It has been fun for the kiddos to go back and watch some of the DA games that they have friends on.

Back