Surf Cup -vs- Silverlakes Showcase

I don't know any college coaches who would come to any games without prior contact with a player who they are interested to see.

Actually this is untrue; but, I will rephrase for you to make it correct. "I don't know any college coaches from D1 top schools who would come to any game without prior contact with a player who they are interested to see.".

37/18/14 were our college count for each day. With D1 practices starting these week plenty of the bigger schools were not present. Either they were at Surf or more likely having one last free weekend before their season starts.

They are recruiting hard because kids check into camp today. Testing tomorrow and practice starting the following day. My kid and her roommate both got out of town for the weekend because it will be December the next time that they have a free weekend.

So, how were the two tournaments this past weekend?

There was a good turnout of D1 coaches and USNT coaches watching MVLA ‘04 @ Silverlakes this weekend.

1st game was in their stadium - what a great venue (see attachment).

We’ve been to Surf Cup 4x and now Silverlakes once. Here’s my opinion:

•Parking - Silverlakes
•Entrance - Surf Cup
•Merchandise- $ame
•Food - never ate but both looked good
•Fields - Silverlakes has the Stadium if your lucky enough to play in it, but all other fields @ both events are amazing.
Amenities - Video games, couches and yoga mats @ Players Lounge in Silverlakes was cool. Silverlakes seems like they really want to be “good hosts”
•Weather - Surf Cup (hot at Silverlakes but not unbareable, windy but not unplayable; Rained twice @ Surf....still give Surf the advantage here)
•Travel - Silverlakes is 2 hours closer for us NorCal teams and you don’t have to drive thru LA :)
•Competition - 3+ years ago Surf Cup (best of the best)...now I’ll give the edge to Silverlakes. At least for the ‘04 age group. Good mix of DA & ECNL teams...and they played against eachother!!!
•Overall - I think Surf Cup is iconic and it’s nice to go at least once in your youth soccer career....but Silverlakes was very impressive this weekend and I can see it becoming the premier college showcase in the near future.

(I will be at Surf Cup next weekend for my son’s ‘06 Team so I’ll have a better comparison in a few days)

Attachments

• E45462EB-D63E-4D3D-9EC0-BE870D72DD06.png
    E45462EB-D63E-4D3D-9EC0-BE870D72DD06.png
    327.3 KB · Views: 32
Saw lots of D1/D2 coaches the first day at Surf Cup, hardly visible the days after. Not present during semi/finals. Last year I remember coaches present throughout the tourney.

Maybe it had to do that a week prior they had the DA showcase and most D1/D2 coaches went there instead.

Saw lots of D1/D2 coaches the first day at Surf Cup, hardly visible the days after. Not present during semi/finals. Last year I remember coaches present throughout the tourney.

Maybe it had to do that a week prior they had the DA showcase and most D1/D2 coaches went there instead.

Thursday and Friday at Surf had a good number of coaches and scouts for the DA games. Saturday had a much smaller number probably due to no DA teams playing and the coaches probably went to Silverlakes. On Sunday the sidelines were full of college coaches on DA and non-DA games.

We had three d1 at our semis and I sat with 2 different d2s and 3 different d1s at games where my high school girls were playing. Some of them were coaching their teams so they had their club gear on. They were around.

There was a good turnout of D1 coaches and USNT coaches watching MVLA ‘04 @ Silverlakes this weekend.

1st game was in their stadium - what a great venue (see attachment).

We’ve been to Surf Cup 4x and now Silverlakes once. Here’s my opinion:

•Parking - Silverlakes
•Entrance - Surf Cup
•Merchandise- $ame
•Food - never ate but both looked good
•Fields - Silverlakes has the Stadium if your lucky enough to play in it, but all other fields @ both events are amazing.
Amenities - Video games, couches and yoga mats @ Players Lounge in Silverlakes was cool. Silverlakes seems like they really want to be “good hosts”
•Weather - Surf Cup (hot at Silverlakes but not unbareable, windy but not unplayable; Rained twice @ Surf....still give Surf the advantage here)
•Travel - Silverlakes is 2 hours closer for us NorCal teams and you don’t have to drive thru LA :)
•Competition - 3+ years ago Surf Cup (best of the best)...now I’ll give the edge to Silverlakes. At least for the ‘04 age group. Good mix of DA & ECNL teams...and they played against eachother!!!
•Overall - I think Surf Cup is iconic and it’s nice to go at least once in your youth soccer career....but Silverlakes was very impressive this weekend and I can see it becoming the premier college showcase in the near future.

(I will be at Surf Cup next weekend for my son’s ‘06 Team so I’ll have a better comparison in a few days)
Helluva team!

Actually this is untrue; but, I will rephrase for you to make it correct. "I don't know any college coaches from D1 top schools who would come to any game without prior contact with a player who they are interested to see.".

Not true. Many D1 coaches have come to our games this year that have had no contact with our players prior to seeing them. Offers have also been extended without the player initiating any contact.

I don't know any college coaches who would come to any games without prior contact with a player who they are interested to see.

This is not true in my somewhat limited experience. We've had several coaches watch our games at various tournaments who I'm pretty sure weren't contacted by any players. For example, we had a D1 coach come to two of our games at Surf Cup because he was looking to replace a player who was going to be leaving on an LDS mission. He is now recruiting one of the players on our team even though this player had not contacted him. You have to think there are coaches who might be recruiting only 2 or 3 players at a tournament, but since they're there, they might as well watch games.

This is not true in my somewhat limited experience. We've had several coaches watch our games at various tournaments who I'm pretty sure weren't contacted by any players. For example, we had a D1 coach come to two of our games at Surf Cup because he was looking to replace a player who was going to be leaving on an LDS mission. He is now recruiting one of the players on our team even though this player had not contacted him. You have to think there are coaches who might be recruiting only 2 or 3 players at a tournament, but since they're there, they might as well watch games.

I agree. Back when I was a team manager for a team of high school players, we made up a roster sheet to hand out to coaches at tournaments. Some players added their own highlight sheets. I walked around the tournament site giving copies to anyone that looked like a coach or scout, and put some copies on the table provided in the coaches' area, if the tournament had one. I also know of 2 players who were invited to have a talk in the coach's office (the tournament was being played on his campus).

I was at both venues this past weekend with 1 04 daughter playing at surf and 1 02 at Legends. Can't say I saw any coaches at 04 at surf but saw a few at our 02G daughter at legends but it isn't a fair comparison due to the age. I can say, however, that we played 2 Silverlakes games on the turf fields at 3:30 and 5pm and both were ridiculously hot. At some point I counted 8 water breaks by the referee since it was 100 degrees in the shade. I even timed 6 minutes between a few of the water breaks during the 5pm game. I want safety for my girl but come on, that seems were overboard especially when both teams had 5+ subs. I would say silverlakes should ban turf fields between 12-5pm on 100+ days. I've never wanted to leave a field so fast after the 3:30 game. The game flow was definitely an issue with the heat and water breaks. I'm a big silverlakes fan since I live 12 mins away but oceanside temps were definitely better at 85'ish vs 105'ish at silverlakes.

I was at both venues this past weekend with 1 04 daughter playing at surf and 1 02 at Legends. Can't say I saw any coaches at 04 at surf but saw a few at our 02G daughter at legends but it isn't a fair comparison due to the age. I can say, however, that we played 2 Silverlakes games on the turf fields at 3:30 and 5pm and both were ridiculously hot. At some point I counted 8 water breaks by the referee since it was 100 degrees in the shade. I even timed 6 minutes between a few of the water breaks during the 5pm game. I want safety for my girl but come on, that seems were overboard especially when both teams had 5+ subs. I would say silverlakes should ban turf fields between 12-5pm on 100+ days. I've never wanted to leave a field so fast after the 3:30 game. The game flow was definitely an issue with the heat and water breaks. I'm a big silverlakes fan since I live 12 mins away but oceanside temps were definitely better at 85'ish vs 105'ish at silverlakes.
Those breaks were probably for the referees. They don’t have 5 subs to use for themselves and are likely on their 3rd game is the day by 3:30pm.

Yes, the breaks probably were for the referees. And those refs may have been doing multiple games that day.
But it still disrupts the flow of the games.
Was the wind blown my at Sulve Lakes too?

Guys, some of this stuff should be common sense by now. If you have gotten to U15, you should already know how the system works. For those that don't, here are the games that the coaches watch and their respective order...

1. Games where they have contact with a player and an interest
2. Maybach or SuperBlack if they want to see players they know of.
3. AMG for shits and giggles in between their games of choice
4. S-Class - You will see them at these games if they want to stop and say hello to an old friend or coach on their way to the bathroom or they are bored out of their minds.

There are exceptions but this is the rule. Anyone who responds that the rule is different is only speaking from 2nd hand knowledge and not from real, personal experience.

Question for everyone. When you have three divisions, are coaches only watching the highest level teams? See below as example from Silverlakes.

G2004Teams
Schedules | Standings Maybach 12
Schedules | Standings AMG 12
Schedules | Standings S-Class 12

I refereed Surf Cup 4 games Saturday (G04 and 01) and 4 games Sunday (G02 and 01) with a mix of all three flights. The four Saturday G04 and G01 Super Black, Super White and Black bracket games each had about 15 coaches that dropped by to watch some portion of each game. All of my Sunday games had 30+ coaches that watched at least a portion of each game and those games were Super Black and Super White brackets. I did run into two coaches from Midwest D2 colleges that I know very well. I knew they were on my sideline when one yelled, "Run faster ref." I talked to them at halftime and asked who they were scouting. They said that they just dropped by the field because I was in the center and they wanted to see if I still sucked. When we talked after the game they did say they were glad they stopped because there were a couple players from the Hawaii team and one from the SoCal team (G01 teams not top bracket) that they wanted to talk too. They were also there to watch one of the G01 NorCal teams in my last game, but left to another field before halftime. Maybe they got tired of the NorCal ECNL team completely dominating the NorCal DPL team. The ECNL team had 80+ percent of possession and made the DPL team look like a Rec team. I only called one foul in the entire first half and four in the second with all of the fouls committed by the DPL team.

I love doing these better tournaments since the teams actually play good soccer and I usually have no problems with parents or coaches. At Surf Cup on Saturday and Sunday I had no parent problems and only had to have a very brief talk with a coach to remind him to stay in his technical area. Overall my Surf Cup experience was great and the weather was nice.

One frustration from Surf Cup..... no more three day parking pass, rather $12 per day! And I always get annoyed at the shorter game times and playoff games going straight to PKs, for the amount of money these tournaments cost! Oceanside seemed hotter than usual. I did run into a handful of head coaches that I know (D1 and D2) and chatted a bit about their weekend. Several made mention of the fact that they were in Norco Friday but that it was "waaaaaay too hot" to be there more than a day.... but that they were splitting time between both. Sounds like there was good turn out at both locations.

Back