Surf Cup Schedules 05

Will get a break down out. May have to wait a few days till they stop moving the brackets around. They already moved us into the potential group of death.

The home cooking of SD Surf is pretty pathetic. Originally they had LAGSB in their group, but they have now replaced it for Crossfire (OR).

The home cooking of SD Surf is pretty pathetic. Originally they had LAGSB in their group, but they have now replaced it for Crossfire (OR).
Yeah I saw that. Moved LAGSB to group C which now has teams ranked 5, 8, 12, and 31 nationally according to YSR. Granted these rankings are mostly based on the past year and don't take player movement into account. But I think it's safe to say these groups are not as balanced as they should be, especially with only one team per group advancing!

Yeah I saw that. Moved LAGSB to group C which now has teams ranked 5, 8, 12, and 31 nationally according to YSR. Granted these rankings are mostly based on the past year and don't take player movement into account. But I think it's safe to say these groups are not as balanced as they should be, especially with only one team per group advancing!
There is no balance whatsoever. Group C is ridiculous, and with the second Texan team and Blues in Group D, it is obvious that one team has a much simpler path to the final. Crossfire (OR) for LAGSB, really? The correct move would have been to switch LAGSB for one of the socal teams in Group B, but hey, if you can choose Crossfire (OR) while sending LAGSB to the fire, why not?

While I understand rankings in general are flawed, any guesses as to why there are 3 teams in Super White ranked 130+ (YSR) while there are several teams ranked in the top 120 in Black? I can sort of understand Force being in Super White, but not familiar with the other two.

Super Black Group:

The DA is in motion and the ECNL is looking to see what happens. This age group is just a short time away from being eligible and families will be looking on with wonder. Which league will survive or can they coexist? These are questions that only the future can answer. We can be sure that Surf Cup a California fixture and a tourney that seemingly doesn’t come soon enough and when it has been played, it is done so in the blink of an eye. It is a freewheel burnin’ contest that doesn’t come around every year for most. So for those teams who are fortunate to savor the moment; enjoy the pomp and circumstance and the excitement that surrounds this event. Good luck to all.

All rankings in parenthesis are from Youth Soccer (National) Rankings. Unless identified by an *, which is a GotSoccer ranking. There is also the anticipation and potential of teams moving groups or flights before play begins. Any change will be updated.

-Group A-

Crossfire United (OR) (*41 GS)

Real Colorado National (24)

San Diego Surf (3)

West Coast Soccer (CAN) (45)

Crossfire United returns for a second year to the Super Black group. Their quick departure last year was not indicative of the close matches they played and despite being placed which looks to be an unbalanced group this year will find it hard once again to progress forward. None the less will have as good an opportunity as anyone else. Real Colorado comes to Cali with high hopes of representing the Mountain West. They will have a realistic chance to do so, but face one of the favorites in Surf. Surf look to make an impression and could make it three in a row after winning Surf Thanksgiving and Man City Cup. The treble would be quite a feat. West Coast looks to build off their quarter final appearance from last year and like Real Colorado have a potential possibility, but can they pull the trigger and get it done.

-Group B-

Broomfield Blast (48)

Legends FC (17)

Placer United (27)

Slammers FC Pre Elite (7)

Broomfield Blast are another Colorado team looking to make a mark and compete here in the Golden State. They will have their hands full with all three Cali teams in this group. They are the dark horse and all you can do is cheer them on. Legends FC are team with great potential and athletes to compete. They are a competitive bunch that play with high energy. Do not discount them and certainly can challenge for this group. Placer United come down south with a nice tourney victory in June and will most certainly want to keep that going. But will they find dust fields and barren wastes. If they don’t they will have to play their best and be relentless. Slammers FC are a newly formed team comprised of players from various clubs and age groups. Look for them push, push, push their way up the field and exploit teams.

-Group C-

Beach Futbol LB (8)

Heat FC (31)

Dallas Kicks (12)

LAGSB (5)

This has got to be the group of death! No doubt! Gonna question the logic here, but what the hell I’m not in charge. Beach are on a recent roll with CRL and the Mountain Pacific Championships under their belt. Or should I say wearing them like a prize fighter would. Heat FC come out of the heat only to find a furnace ablaze. Their semi-final appearance at Man City Cup was impressive but this is not that tourney and we are just talking about pool play. Dallas Kicks also come in with some current semi-final results at Super Copa and NTX State Cup. They will have to fight the good fight to get out of this group. LAGSB will do what they do. They will play in the manner that has influenced them which is a systematic approach of seeing the field and playing with a tempo.

-Group D-

Crossfire Premier (58)

Dallas Sting (60)

San Jose Earthquakes (???)

So Cal Blues (9)

Crossfire are constants partaking in big tournaments and wanting to face the best competition. They do not run and leave it on the field. However, their record against top competition from out of state is lacking. They are a long shot here. Dallas Sting are used to playing in big competitive environments and this is no different. With two solid performances of late they look to go far, yet again there are obstacles in the way so early in the tournament. San Jose Earthquakes are a new team comprised of players coming from many clubs. They have yet to compete in a competition of any magnitude or record, but here they are. The one known quantity here is the coach Andres Deza the master of possession futbol. What tournament is not complete without So Cal Blues in attendance? There are rumors they have changed their style of play. As last year’s champion they will see the best from their opponents in pool play making this a true challenge.

-Group Match Up’s, “The Must Watches”-

Group A

San Diego Surf vs West Coast: These teams play with a contrast of styles and it will be fun to watch how each counters each other.

Group B

Legends FC vs Slammers FC: This will be the second go around for these teams of late. Slammers were victorious last time and will have to get past Legends to see the semi-finals. But, Legends have something to prove.

Group C

Beach FC vs LAGSB: Anyone in So Cal knows these teams have been going at it for years. This will not be any different. Oh boy!

Group D

San Jose Earthquakes vs. So Cal Blues: I expect this to be a very interesting match. Not sure what to expect but think it’s worth watching.

I like Eagles to win Super White...probably should of been in the top bracket.

I would have previously agreed but looking at Man City Cup I think they bracketed them correctly. Early though so lots of time to right the ship. I'll go Galaxy SD to win Super White.

Back