State Cup

Field sizes were a joke. Far, far too big. Way outside the standards.

It's not the responsibility of the field dimensions to keep your kids from bunching up.

For the record, Cal South specified State Cup field sizes for the U11's to be 60x90 (the maximum) size for this age group. The minimum size is 47x75 (which is also the maximum size for the U10 and U9's). Galway Downs, Silverlakes, SD Polo Fields, etc., etc., just paint the fields to the sizes specified by their customer ... Cal South.

The problem for a lot of teams at this age group is most "league" and "tournament" play is conducted on the 47x75 field size (min for U11 and max for U10/U9) because that field size does double duty.

Were they bigger than 90x60? I wonder why Cal South would permit that?

View attachment 601

No, they were all 60x90 and a few were probably a little smaller (60x85). I was a referee for a few games on Sunday and can tell you that the fields were the max size allowed, which sucks if you are a slightly out-of-shape referee. I would have much rather been on the smaller sized fields.

The problem for a lot of teams at this age group is most "league" and "tournament" play is conducted on the 47x75 field size (min for U11 and max for U10/U9) because that field size does double duty.

And the smaller size is the federation's preferred dimensions. And the 90x60 doubles as the u12 11v11 dimensions for this year. Neat!

Regardless of the alterations CalSouth made to the national standards, any person watching any of those teams play could pretty easily see that the fields were too big. Thankfully, at this age, the teams that can actually play are starting to benefit from the width rather than be harmed.

As to whether it's a good idea to play on fields that big: it's not. The fact they could have lined the fields any way they wanted and went with the size they did demonstrates just how challenging it is to get people to do what's needed for development.

And the smaller size is the federation's preferred dimensions. And the 90x60 doubles as the u12 11v11 dimensions for this year. Neat!

Regardless of the alterations CalSouth made to the national standards, any person watching any of those teams play could pretty easily see that the fields were too big. Thankfully, at this age, the teams that can actually play are starting to benefit from the width rather than be harmed.

As to whether it's a good idea to play on fields that big: it's not. The fact they could have lined the fields any way they wanted and went with the size they did demonstrates just how challenging it is to get people to do what's needed for development.

Field sizes are something that Cal South has been struggling with all year. In the beginning they went with the recommendation of 47x75 and received many complaints. There were many complaints to US Soccer from the State Associations. The State Associations then began experimenting and bumped up the size by adding a minimum and maximum range.

I can tell you purely from a referee perspective that 7v7 on a 47x75 is just fine, whereas, 9v9 with 10 year olds is not. I saw many U10 GK's boot the ball just outside of the defender's penalty box (typically the girls because they are a little more physically developed at this age). If it was 83 or 85 (that additional length would help).

In any case, if you team is lucky enough to make it to Utah, expect the same sized fields as you played on at Galway Downs.

I saw many U10 GK's boot the ball just outside of the defender's penalty box (typically the girls because they are a little more physically developed at this age). If it was 83 or 85 (that additional length would help).

Nailed it. We have to make the fields big because the people teaching these kids to play don't know what they're doing.

Nailed it. We have to make the fields big because the people teaching these kids to play don't know what they're doing.
Did your team advance to the next round??
Field size is nice there thats probably why this age bracket played there instead of Silverlakes. This is why your teams need to stay busy playing in the off season playing at different fields so they can adapt . If you are used to turf only then you might have a hard time at Ryan park
It's been a whIle but they used to be scrappy fields. Regardless teams need to adapt to the situation and what better training than once I awhile play in a big field, or vs bigger kids fields dirt you name it .That's up to the coach for what they do for prep

Did your team advance to the next round??

I don't have a team. The team my son plays for did advance. Are you asking if I'm complaining because I didn't like the results? Nope. I'm complaining because the fields were too big.

Field size is nice there thats probably why this age bracket played there instead of Silverlakes. This is why your teams need to stay busy playing in the off season playing at different fields so they can adapt . If you are used to turf only then you might have a hard time at Ryan park

It's been a whIle but they used to be scrappy fields. Regardless teams need to adapt to the situation and what better training than once I awhile play in a big field, or vs bigger kids fields dirt you name it .That's up to the coach for what they do for prep

I'm not complaining about the surface or the competition, or about the fields being big, I'm complaining about the fields being too big.

The fields at Silverlake are not too big. The fields at galway were too big, and for no apparent reason other than it was possible to do so under CalSouth's adaptation (refusal) of the federation's standards.

I have 6 favorites to make it to the Finals
TFA
Albion Crowe
Arsenal pre academy
Golden state pda
Strikers MV
Irvine martinez

I have 6 favorites to make it to the Finals
TFA
Albion Crowe
Arsenal pre academy
Golden state pda
Strikers MV
Irvine martinez
Sad Fact - brackets are lopsided - All those teams are in the top half of the bracket so only one can make it to the final, bottom half is a much easier road to final. Semi Final will probably be a really good game.

Sad Fact - brackets are lopsided - All those teams are in the top half of the bracket so only one can make it to the final, bottom half is a much easier road to final. Semi Final will probably be a really good game.
I agree,
I think you will see more exciting match ups in the round of 16 than quarters

The fields at Silverlake are not too big. The fields at galway were too big, and for no apparent reason other than it was possible to do so under CalSouth's adaptation (refusal) of the federation's standards.

I think you are going to find for purposes of State Cup, this weekend the fields at Silverlakes will be the same exact size as the fields at Galway: 60x90 because its the standard set by Cal South. I also suspect that the 60x90 standard is just not Cal South but will permeate through the USSF ... all the up to the regional and national levels ... but we will see.

I think you are going to find for purposes of State Cup, this weekend the fields at Silverlakes will be the same exact size as the fields at Galway: 60x90 because its the standard set by Cal South. I also suspect that the 60x90 standard is just not Cal South but will permeate through the USSF ... all the up to the regional and national levels ... but we will see.
Yes, the fields at SilverLakes are 90x60 for the '06. I can't speak to any age group as my kid is an '06. With all the wind, the teams that could possess and keep it on the ground seemed to excel. However the more direct teams seemed to get some goals from distance with the wind at their backs.

I guess Cal South Didn't want to have another Tfa vs Tfa Final Like League cup. All three teams have to face each other one way or the other, Eliminating Themselves.

I guess Cal South Didn't want to have another Tfa vs Tfa Final Like League cup. All three teams have to face each other one way or the other, Eliminating Themselves.
there are other teams better than your blue and red team
While that happened in league cup
I doubt it would had happened in state cup

For the 06's next year, the 60 x 90 field should be the minimum in my opinion. My DD plays in the 05's and I know by this time next year how big the girls will get and how strong the kicks will become. I still think it is a bad move having the U12 still playing on a small sided field. I understand the reasoning for it, but you will see a lot of teams capitalize on the fact that the keeper can punt it into the other sides box and rush 4+ girls at the ball for some sloppy goals. But winning pays the bills, so teams that may not be as well rounded will always look for ways to win.

For the 06's next year, the 60 x 90 field should be the minimum in my opinion. My DD plays in the 05's and I know by this time next year how big the girls will get and how strong the kicks will become. I still think it is a bad move having the U12 still playing on a small sided field. I understand the reasoning for it, but you will see a lot of teams capitalize on the fact that the keeper can punt it into the other sides box and rush 4+ girls at the ball for some sloppy goals. But winning pays the bills, so teams that may not be as well rounded will always look for ways to win.
Question is, will they still have a "Build Out" line and No Header rule for the '06's next season?

SCDSL instituted build out out and no heading and no punting during the season. Calsouth dropped 2 of 3. It's a joke. Now the kids punt but can't use their head. Field sizes are different. We spend the season developing and do State cup to undevelop. This system works against itself. How can w be a great soccer nation? These organizations need to speak the same language.

SCDSL instituted build out out and no heading and no punting during the season. Calsouth dropped 2 of 3. It's a joke. Now the kids punt but can't use their head. Field sizes are different. We spend the season developing and do State cup to undevelop. This system works against itself. How can w be a great soccer nation? These organizations need to speak the same language.
State Cup is a competition that involves multiple leagues throughout Southern California and it is subject to USSF rules. SCDSL deviated from the USSF rules and required build out lines and prohibited punting for the 2006 age group, but CSL did not, in part because that was not one of the USSF mandates. USSF only required those rules for 10U and below, not for the 11U, which is 2006 this year. It may be that the rules should apply to older age groups than 10U, but that's an issue for USSF, not Cal South. Otherwise, what you're saying is that SCDSL is not the league to enter into if you want to prepare to enter into competitions governed by USSF rules.

The ban on headers at this age group and below was part of a settlement of a class action lawsuit brought against US Soccer and Cal South/Cal North/AYSO etc. That's why it exists for SCDSL, CSL, and State Cup.

Back