Splitting

On the subject of splitting - our DD was the only GK up until U15. Good experience, playing solo and sharing for all reasons cited about - competition, etc. We are looking at some scenarios now back to splitting or having the goal to ourself, and are finding it interesting that there is a coaching philosophy here too. Some coaches will only carry one keeper, others want two. Would love to hear more about that as this is the first year we are really seeing it from both sides as a keeper and seeing coaches with a direct opinion on this too. Any feedback is welcome. Thanks

As the level of play increases and the kids get older, its less about player development and more about winning. We just had a post in the GK forum that started out with the phrase that the team is looking for a keeper that can take the team to at least the semi's in National Cup for a U18 girls team (2001). A good coach is going to want to carry at least 2 keepers at the older age group for 2 reasons: (1) training sessions can be more game like when doing small-sided play; and (2) injuries are more catastrophic at the older levels. Some clubs will have multiple teams at an age group (generally at the younger levels) and can pull up keepers from other teams if in need, which is a luxury that the smaller clubs don't have and which disappears at the U16+ level for many programs given player attrition.

As the girls become older they have more of social life. To have a Keeper have to miss out on so many activities that they really want to do because they are the only Keeper and they don't want to let down the team, really sucks and has the potential for the Keeper to leave the sport because they want the social life.

Sorry this is a long one...the splitting dilema is a tough one....I agree it depends on the coaching philosophy, the kid, team, and parents (of both kids). I have seen some very difficult/toxic situations if everyone is not on-board/same page - parent issues, issues among players, and drama, i.e. who plays in OT, Penalties, etc. I also know kids who are upset they are splitting 50%/50% because they are better and should be playing more.

There was a football coach who said this about quarterbacks, "if you have two, then you really don't have one." I think it applies to keepers. Finding the right fit is very key or there are going to be issues. I think playing time at the keeper position should be the same as all others. If one is better they should play more, not just both get half a game. The better player should get more playing time like any other position. It is earned in practice/training and by in-game performance.

I am personally against splitting halves. In my opinion, they should rotate starts and play full games for a variety of reasons - consistency during the game, keeping mentally focused for a full 90, you can't simulate stress and the end of close/tight game, time to recover from a mistake (rebuilding confidence), etc., among many others.

Plus, in college, pro, etc. very rarely do you see in game keeper changes (mostly in friendlies, not in Tournaments or Qualifying Competitions). In college, pro, etc. there most always is a clear starter. You will see where the second keeper with starts against weaker opponents, where the starter will get starts against the stronger competition and knock-out games. If they are equal (I think this is a rare scenario), alternate starts; or determine starts based on strengths, etc. That said if one keeper is better they should get more starts, and play more full games-like any other player. Just alternating halves because there are two, or to be fair makes no sense to me.

Lastly, I believe the coach needs to set the expectation with the children and parents, at the start. Let the kids compete, but set the expectation that there will be a starter and a back-up, and the better player will play more. Most often I hear coaches tell parents they are equal to avoid somebody leaving the team, or to avoid a conflict/confrontation. Believe me, the field players on the team (and parents) can tell you who the starter is/should be, it is not a mystery. The coach will usually tip their hand in knock-out games, or games with OT/PK potential to play the better keeper in the second half, and this keeper will play the OT and PK's if applicable.

Sorry this is a long one...the splitting dilema is a tough one....I agree it depends on the coaching philosophy, the kid, team, and parents (of both kids). I have seen some very difficult/toxic situations if everyone is not on-board/same page - parent issues, issues among players, and drama, i.e. who plays in OT, Penalties, etc. I also know kids who are upset they are splitting 50%/50% because they are better and should be playing more.

There was a football coach who said this about quarterbacks, "if you have two, then you really don't have one." I think it applies to keepers. Finding the right fit is very key or there are going to be issues. I think playing time at the keeper position should be the same as all others. If one is better they should play more, not just both get half a game. The better player should get more playing time like any other position. It is earned in practice/training and by in-game performance.

I am personally against splitting halves. In my opinion, they should rotate starts and play full games for a variety of reasons - consistency during the game, keeping mentally focused for a full 90, you can't simulate stress and the end of close/tight game, time to recover from a mistake (rebuilding confidence), etc., among many others.

Plus, in college, pro, etc. very rarely do you see in game keeper changes (mostly in friendlies, not in Tournaments or Qualifying Competitions). In college, pro, etc. there most always is a clear starter. You will see where the second keeper with starts against weaker opponents, where the starter will get starts against the stronger competition and knock-out games. If they are equal (I think this is a rare scenario), alternate starts; or determine starts based on strengths, etc. That said if one keeper is better they should get more starts, and play more full games-like any other player. Just alternating halves because there are two, or to be fair makes no sense to me.

Lastly, I believe the coach needs to set the expectation with the children and parents, at the start. Let the kids compete, but set the expectation that there will be a starter and a back-up, and the better player will play more. Most often I hear coaches tell parents they are equal to avoid somebody leaving the team, or to avoid a conflict/confrontation. Believe me, the field players on the team (and parents) can tell you who the starter is/should be, it is not a mystery. The coach will usually tip their hand in knock-out games, or games with OT/PK potential to play the better keeper in the second half, and this keeper will play the OT and PK's if applicable.

I would really like to hear how this conversation will end...
Coach: Hey, parent, your kid will not be a starter on my team, but I would really like him to join and sit on the bench just in case my superstar keeper gets injured.

How is this different from any conversation with a field player/parent that the player is not going to start but will get on average a number of x minutes, but can improve to earn more minutes? These conversations happen often. Some kids get 20 minutes a game in a 90 minute game, some less. Are players/parents that sensitive that they can't receive honest feedback from a coach on where their player is? Not every player is a starter, some players have roles, and some occasionally start. I'm not saying not to play the second keeper, far from it. I am saying the player performing better should play more because they have earned it through performance regardless if the player is a keeper or field player.

Most honest thing I ever heard from a coach was something along the lines of "...there is no starter and there is no backup. I won't be splitting time 50/50. They will earn it, or lose it, during practice each week, and I will play whomever I think has earned it or gives us a better match up." My kid had no problem with that.

Back