Splitting

At what age did your GK start splitting play with another GK? What are the pros and cons of splitting? Do you look for or discuss anything specific with a coach prior to committing to a splitting situation?

My daughter has always been the only GK for her team, but as she is getting older, it seems like most teams want to carry two GKs and I want to be sure we are smart about the process. Thanks in advance for your advice!

Pro's with splitting: Competition with another keeper during training, warm-ups, etc. Keeps them sharp/on their toes.

Con's with splitting: best to have them play FULL games to get them use to the MENTAL part of being completely focused, talking, directing the back line for the full 90 min-- gets them ready for college (where you rarely if ever see keepers splitting the 90 min...)

So if there is a second keeper and they are of similar capabilities -- I think it's generally better to alternate full games rather than split halves. Or, if there is a clear starter, have them play the game until (and if) it's seemingly in hand, i.e. up 2 or 3-0 with 20 to go.

05 daughter is a keeper. I’d look to leave if she was splitting time. Half a game might see only 4-5 touches. Game experience. Setting your teammates for a wall, clearing out corners, playbacks, knowing when to drop kick and when to roll it out to a player, facing breakaways, when to slide tackle outside the box because of a poor pass There is a reason top goal keepers get better with age and it isn’t always their skill and physical speed and height.

When they first start to play the game in the youngers it's critical for them to play the field for the first couple / few seasons to have an understanding of what they need their players to do, but once they go 100% in goal, splitting time should be avoided until the rosters expand, the travel increases and the need for 2 keepers is a must more so for the "team" rather than for the "player".

However be wary of complacency and the lack of competition in goal. Some keepers become the only option and a coach can't afford to push them and hold them accountable for not getting the job done. That bubble can set your player up for a serious learning curve when they're faced with competing with someone for the starting spot because they've never had to do so before.

My DD has been very fortunate and has been playing club for some time now, her experience is as follows:
  • Arsenal FC 05s - Outside Back
  • Legends 05s - Outside Mid
  • IE Surf 05s - Keeper / Outside Mid
  • Arsenal West 05s - Keeper (Fulltime)
  • IE Surf 05s - Keeper (Fulltime)
  • IE Surf 06s - Keeper (Fulltime)
  • IE Surf 06s - Keeper (Fulltime)

She's entering her 4th season playing in goal fulltime, and will probably have one more year of being the only one in goal. With DA / ECNL offers on the table this year, they included clubs clearly stating they would be carrying 2 keepers. Best of luck to all the keepers out there, mix it up and get as many looks as you can!

This is the first year my 06 daughter is playing on a team with 2 keepers but she is playing up on an 04 team. We welcome it for a couple of reasons; 1. When my daughter is sick or has some social thing she really wants to do, we don't have to push to make sure she doesn't let her team down. 2. My daughter likes having the competition and the challenge.

05 daughter is a keeper. I’d look to leave if she was splitting time. Half a game might see only 4-5 touches. Game experience. Setting your teammates for a wall, clearing out corners, playbacks, knowing when to drop kick and when to roll it out to a player, facing breakaways, when to slide tackle outside the box because of a poor pass There is a reason top goal keepers get better with age and it isn’t always their skill and physical speed and height.
This is a good point...

This is the first year my 06 daughter is playing on a team with 2 keepers but she is playing up on an 04 team. We welcome it for a couple of reasons; 1. When my daughter is sick or has some social thing she really wants to do, we don't have to push to make sure she doesn't let her team down. 2. My daughter likes having the competition and the challenge.
Being on an 04 team and splitting time in goal makes sense, the majority of girls will be going into High School in the fall and you have a lot going on and injuries will start to creep in as well.

Some pros / cons in her situation as you'd really want her to get as many touches and looks as she can, but if she's skilled enough to play 2 years up that has advantages too. Good for her!

FYI, let me know if you want me to add you to the roll call for the 06s? Playing up, I can add you to both the 06s and 04s when I post that later in the summer.

Being on an 04 team and splitting time in goal makes sense, the majority of girls will be going into High School in the fall and you have a lot going on and injuries will start to creep in as well.

Some pros / cons in her situation as you'd really want her to get as many touches and looks as she can, but if she's skilled enough to play 2 years up that has advantages too. Good for her!

FYI, let me know if you want me to add you to the roll call for the 06s? Playing up, I can add you to both the 06s and 04s when I post that later in the summer.
Yeah she has played 2 scrimmages with them and I can see a few steps back in her confidence but she still wants to move forward doing it and believes with more experience her confidence will increase. She is fortunate to be on a team that is incredibly supportive and nice. They could easily be yucky teenagers about a younger person on the team but they have been nothing but great too her. I am pleasantly surprised.

Sounds good to add us to both the 06s and the 04s. We are on the Pateadores PYL G04 team.

As someone mentioned above, I would prefer to rotate my GKs every game rather than every half. Nice to have 2 because of training purposes, warm-ups are easier, competition, and if one keeper doesn't show up or is sick.

The big problems come when the keepers aren't equivalent in their development. If one is better than the other, the coach will be under tremendous pressure to play the better one more (in which case the weaker keeper might move on), or if he doesn't that the better one might complain that he's forced to share time because of politics. One keeper or the other is going to unhappy.

The other issue with keepers is that there are 2 factors in making a keeper great: natural ability (including height, aggressiveness, intellect) and development (what they've learned and how far they've progressed). One keeper may have great natural ability but only knows how to block with his feet. Another may have great tactical skills and know how to tip over bar, the backpass, high balls. So their comparison to each other might be skewed...one might think hey I'm a natural why isn't coach playing me more...while the other is thinking hey I'm so much more advanced and can do so much more than the other kid why isn't coach playing me more.

This will be my kids 5th year of competitive soccer (essentially all as FT keeper). Her 1st and 3rd years she was the only keeper.
#1 - don't trust anything a coach tells you about playing time if there are 2 keepers unless he/she says I will play who I want, when I want and it may not make sense as to what I am doing,
#2 - the coaches/DOCs normally don't know how to develop keepers,
#3 - the success of 2 keepers is often determined by the keepers (Can they get along? Do they push each other, in a good way? Can they keep their egos in check? Is one a hard ass who yells at the defense (which pisses them off but helps them off) or is quiet but liked? All factors.
#4- Goalies are about confidence anything that hurts their confidence should be avoided. (Maybe this should be 1st).
#5 -It is important that they improve their field skills and have FUN, put them in an arena/futsal/tiffany/rec team where hey can run around as a field player.
Good luck to you and your kid.

#2 - the coaches/DOCs normally don't know how to develop keepers
You can extend that to the club in general, their idea of keeper training is quite often 10 goalies and 1 coach. Purely shooting drills with no emphasis on technique. You really having to be proactive as a parent of a GK and make sure they're getting properly trained.

The big problems come when the keepers aren't equivalent in their development. If one is better than the other, the coach will be under tremendous pressure to play the better one more (in which case the weaker keeper might move on), or if he doesn't that the better one might complain that he's forced to share time because of politics. One keeper or the other is going to unhappy.

The other issue with keepers is that there are 2 factors in making a keeper great: natural ability (including height, aggressiveness, intellect) and development (what they've learned and how far they've progressed). One keeper may have great natural ability but only knows how to block with his feet. Another may have great tactical skills and know how to tip over bar, the backpass, high balls. So their comparison to each other might be skewed...one might think hey I'm a natural why isn't coach playing me more...while the other is thinking hey I'm so much more advanced and can do so much more than the other kid why isn't coach playing me more.
I think you make some very valid points from a development of the position piece. For me, I always try and keep perspective on life lessons too and achieve that ultimate balance. Earlier in my career I was offered a second manager position on a huge client and I didn't want to do it because I was too arrogant. Didn't they know I was ranked on the top of my group? Looking back on that decision, humbling myself and learning from that would have been a great opportunity for me.

In high school soccer, college soccer etc. you may not be a Keeper during games for a year or 2 or ever. It blows my mind when I see the WNT Goalkeepers or College Goalkeepers that aren't playing in games be so excited for the team. I have pondered that and came up with the fact they are about the team and they understand their place and what they need to do to earn play time and set realistic goals. The attitude and work ethic is what has them on the team to begin with.

As this is my daughter's first year playing on a team with another Keeper, I have asked her all along the way and after each of the last 2 games we played if she was okay with that decision letting her know we can bale out now before I pay the deposit and she still says she loves having another Keeper and loves playing up. I prepared her before the game for not playing at all. I am of the belief that you need to accept the worst case scenario and anything above that is a blessing. I have told her that WE will both accept whatever the coach's decisions are for the year taking all of the development we can with the club/private training and at the end of our commitment we will evaluate what is best. This is what I hope she would do in her future career too.... Work hard with a great attitude and if it isn't enough, re-evaluate decisions and future plans while still honoring her commitment.

Also, I think being on a team with 2 Keepers where the development that occurs at practices and positive instruction at the games is much better than a club where you are sole Keeper and that stuff isn't that good . I will let you know at the end of the year if that was the wrong decision. Haha

Splitting time is a very touchy subject. At younger age groups, there is no reason to have 2 keepers and it's a lot easier to have a field player who can fill in goal if something happens. Besides, I think everyone at younger ages should be tried in goal.
At 15 and above, having 2 goalkeepers is a must for reasons mentioned: competition between them, training partner, etc.
My kid was always in a different situation, since he can play on the field, so his time not in goal, he would be spend on the field playing. Of course you need a coach who will allow that and understands it's value. Many coaches think goalkeeper should be in goal and will not allow him/her to play on the field. Playing on field for him (striker or mid) has been huge help in his development as a goalkeeper. His ability to play with his feet and pinging the ball 50-60 years has been very valuable for his team. I'm not mentioning understanding how the striker thinks.
Nobody is looking for shot-stoppers anymore - everyone is looking for a complete goalkeepers, who can start the attack.
I believe finding a smart coach who understands how to split time is the way to go.

My daughter has been the sole keeper for much of her club career, but not all of it. Of course, in HS it has been an adjustment because in her freshman year, they had two seniors, a junior and another really good freshman.

Like a lot of things in club soccer, it mostly depends on the coach. Her one year in club where she had a back-up, the coach was very young, inexperienced, and a bit of a used car salesman. Like 95% of most club coaches, he was a former field player and had zero grasp of the position. It was a bad experience for her because he reacted to mistakes rather than limitations (like in the article @Grace T. posted in the other thread). If you're an NFL fan, you've heard the adage that the most popular player on any team is the back-up QB. Whenever the starter has a bad game (unless the starter is Manning/Brady level) everyone in the stands starts calling for the back-up. That's how it feels for keepers, too. The one in the game feels more pressure than usual to be perfect, and once you get pulled in a game after a bad mistake, it is pretty much over from a confidence standpoint.

I've met some coaches who preach always carrying 2 keepers at all times in the older age groups. I've met others who insist that you should only have one main keeper, and if they get injured, you call up another one from a younger age group or a lower team within the club. Incidentally, her favorite coach was also a former GK as a player, and he was adamant about not splitting time.

Another underrated factor is the relationship your child has with the other keeper (and the families). My daughter knows certain keepers that she'd love to split time with because she trains with them and has a great friendship with. She knows others that she has rivalries with, and I would think it would be a team chemistry breaker to have them on the same team. It's such a tough spot because it's not like the field players that often have to come in and out for rests, and can usually play a couple of different spots. They're used to coming and going, but a keeper has to really build up their rhythm, get in the flow of the game and often get lathered up to hit their stride. If you're constantly getting pulled at half-time or jumping into a heated game in the second half after sitting for 45 minutes, it is often the worst of both worlds for both keepers.

My 2 cents on a couple more things for younger GKs

Some have mentioned coaches and clubs don't develop them very well within what they do at team sessions and even GK sessions, and that for the most part, is true - so, get a good private trainer and then... pay attention to what's happening in those sessions, and then... spend some quality time with your kid in helping her (or him:) get reps on the things you both saw in the training that you can feasibly help them with.

Even if it's in small, creative ways.

If your kid and you are paying attention to the details in training sessions and then you and your child go spend some time working on things, (especially weaknesses) you (and your trainer) will be amazed at the improvements made and the rate thereof, for nothing replaces repititions to get a young one comfortable with their skills.

* Just keep it fun. There's more than enough pressure at practice and in the games (as there should be). But when you're together, point out that there's no teammates, opponents, coaches or refs. It's just you two hanging out doing stuff.

Then as a bonus, you get quality time spent with your kiddo that down the line, regardless of where their soccer journey goes, you both will treasure.

Thanks everyone. My daughter is an 03 and has gotten a lot of out being the only GK, but it is also a lot of pressure on her and on our family to never travel (even for family weddings, etc.) and to never be sick. Also, when things aren't going well for the team, with only one GK, she can become the target of blame- it would be nice to spread that around. As we begin to consider changing teams, most teams in this age group are looking to add a second GK rather than replace their current GK. I want to make sure that I guide her into a situation that will add to her development both in skills and confidence. I appreciate hearing your thoughts.

Yay GK forum!

Thanks everyone. My daughter is an 03 and has gotten a lot of out being the only GK, but it is also a lot of pressure on her and on our family to never travel (even for family weddings, etc.) and to never be sick. Also, when things aren't going well for the team, with only one GK, she can become the target of blame- it would be nice to spread that around. As we begin to consider changing teams, most teams in this age group are looking to add a second GK rather than replace their current GK. I want to make sure that I guide her into a situation that will add to her development both in skills and confidence. I appreciate hearing your thoughts.

Yay GK forum!

Yeah blame game is the name for some parents and players. Have seen players quit or not one to be promoted due to the abuse. One can say "you have to grow a thick skin", which is true, but kids arent adults and dont have the same coping skills. Hell, some parents dont have good coping skills.

Been fortunate our club has solid goalkeeper training and coaches do PART of the practice to get keepers work. Some kids dont want to be in goal fulltime, even the best ones - like someone mentioned it can get boring if you dont get action. As others mentioned, getting work in on the field at an early age will only help the keeper. Today, emphasis is having good footwork. I cant tell you how many times my kid has had to use his dribbling skills to get space to clear a ball or to find a split because a defender gets nervous and passes the ball backwards. If your child isnt getting this at practice/game you will have to supplement the training by putting the kid in private training - that isnt goalkeeping focused. Great if you have the time and extra $

Im also a firm believer of earning your spot. I dont know how many parents come in and want guarantees to A) be sole keeper and B) be sole keeper at Flight X. Parents get upset, literally, and dont sign. Have had the same parents come back after a year or two and tell coaches their kids is "ready" to compete - even after being the sole starter of the teams they were on.I know it can be hard if your kids only position is goalkeeper - dont want to be spending $$$$ and having them on the bench. The positive is it can motivate them to train harder. The keepers tend to be very tight and support one another. Good to have another keeper on the team your child can talk to if they are having a bad game. keeping can be a real lonely place.

My kid announced her desire to play in goal at U8. From U8-U10 she split time with another keeper and continued to play on the field. She became the only keeper on her team at U11 and that held through U16. We’re currently in the process of changing teams and she’ll be one of at least two anywhere she decides to go. We believe the built in competition and camaraderie will be good for her.

Through her younger years, we constantly asked her coach to try to add a second keeper. It’s a great deal of pressure for the whole family to be the only one, no matter what is going on with school commitments, family commitments, or injuries. We’ve scheduled vacations around tournaments, left a National Cup game and changed in the car for prom, and played through more sprains, strains, and pulled muscles than I can count, with nothing but crossed fingers and layers of tape. It used to make me both proud and pissed off to have my kid in goal with a badly pulled quad or sprained ankle, while a field player was missing for their cousin’s friend’s dog’s birthday party.

ETA, she was very disappointed when HS started, because she was hoping for a second keeper and some field time. Though she can’t hang on her club team on the field anymore, she would be a mid-level player on her HS team. Unfortunately, she wound up being the only keeper there as well. Sigh.

Back