Slammers FC Classic & Excessive Heat Warning

Should games be played tomorrow in Norco at the health risk of our children?

• Total voters
Daughter scrimmaged in Irvine today. Can't remember the temp but it was still hot out. Nice park with turf fields. Was shocked to say the least at turf fields at a public park. At one point a girl gets checked by another player and takes a dive head first sliding on the turf. Ref asks her if she's ok. She says yeah..just that the turf is hot. Asked my daughter after the game how hot it felt out there and she said during warmup that with all the dives she was making she definitely felt the heat from the turf. She still opted for pants with short sleeve jersey. OC Great Park is further inland from here so I don't think it would've been as hot as Silverlakes but I could still see it definitely causing problems for players..especially the ones that didn't prepare enough in the last two days as far as their hydration goes.

My dd's '00 team played 4 games this weekend at Silverlakes. She and a handful of others played every minute of every game on the full-sided grass fields (better than the turf ones). Yes, it was very hot, they had water breaks and everyone did fine.

So I was checking the results and didn't notice any playoffs/finals... are they posted somewhere else or was it only based on points?

So I was checking the results and didn't notice any playoffs/finals... are they posted somewhere else or was it only based on points?

Some brackets had finals and some didn't. Just like every tournament, it depends on number of teams per bracket.

I thought it was a bit strange that the Girls 05 bracket only had 4 teams in Flight 1 (no playoffs. 3 games and most points was the winner).
Yet the 2nd flight had 16 teams. The finalists in the 2nd bracket actually played 5 games. 2 on Saturday. Pool play, semi final and final on Sunday.

As Sparky9 said, it was ridiculously hot this past weekend at Silverlakes. My dd played at 2:15 and 6pm on Saturday and 9:15 and 1pm on Sunday. The 2:15 game on Saturday was miserable. Hot and windy. Saturday's evening game was 90 plus degrees, but there was some cloud cover, so it felt a lot better.

Sunday morning's game was not too bad, but that game at 1pm was just as crappy as the first Saturday game.

As stated above, there were water breaks half way through each half, so that helped some.

I asked my dd after each game how she felt. She said it was hot out there, but she never felt like she was going to collapse. After Sunday's 1pm game, she was spent. I think her coach did a good job of rotating players in and out of the game. We were fortunate to have 5 subs Saturday and 4 on Sunday. Some teams did not have as many subs, so I really feel for those players.

I can't understand all this whining about the weather going on when it's hot, raining, windy, cold, etc.
Hot whether comes with perks of living in Sunny California. It does get hot. In other regions gets hotter. I guess you kid never played in Texas or Florida in this time of the year, when it's 100 degrees with 100% humidity outside and it doesn't get cooler in the morning or at night?
In other parts of the country gets cold, rainy and it does snow (can you believe it?). They play in Mexico and Colorado at high elevations, and they do play in Africa, where its really hot. They still play soccer. It's an outdoor sport and if you don't like the weather conditions, you are free to choose indoor sports for your kids or water sports.

One way to deal with adverse whether conditions is to make sure your kids properly hydrated, eating right and staying in game shape. If they are not, than maybe you or your coach doesn't do a good job getting them ready.
Playing more than 1 game a day is a total nonsense, but its completely different topic.

I thought the Slammers as an organization ran the tournament well. Every game had two water breaks (even the 8:00 a.m. games). My girls played five games, two on Saturday at 9:15 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. and three on Sunday at 8:00 a.m., 11:45 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. We played in the heat when it reached 107 degrees and the girls all handled it well.

As Sparky9 said, it was ridiculously hot this past weekend at Silverlakes. My dd played at 2:15 and 6pm on Saturday and 9:15 and 1pm on Sunday. The 2:15 game on Saturday was miserable. Hot and windy. Saturday's evening game was 90 plus degrees, but there was some cloud cover, so it felt a lot better.

Sunday morning's game was not too bad, but that game at 1pm was just as crappy as the first Saturday game.

As stated above, there were water breaks half way through each half, so that helped some.

I asked my dd after each game how she felt. She said it was hot out there, but she never felt like she was going to collapse. After Sunday's 1pm game, she was spent. I think her coach did a good job of rotating players in and out of the game. We were fortunate to have 5 subs Saturday and 4 on Sunday. Some teams did not have as many subs, so I really feel for those players.

Your girl's team looked good. Nice shot to beat us right on the A part of the net. Looked for you but didn't see you there. How did the final go?

Your girl's team looked good. Nice shot to beat us right on the A part of the net. Looked for you but didn't see you there. How did the final go?

I was there amigo. I was hiding under my umbrella most of the time, so that's probably why you didn't see me.

The Slammers FC Classic website shows that Pats beat Blues in the final 1-0. Not true, Blues kicked our a**. Final score was 4-0 Blues and it could have been much worse. Tad had those girls ready to go in the final. They played a lot of long ball in the first half and missed some long range shots on goal. Second half, Blues played much more through the midfield. I think Pats may have had a couple of weak shots on goal all game. Kudos to Blues for earning that trophy.

I was most impressed by the LAFC Slammers DA team. I like the way they play and #10 is such a good midfielder. Slammers DA has quality players at all levels (forwards, mids and defenders), but their keeper is top notch too. With a little more time together, I think the Slammers 03 DA team will be just as good as any other 03 DA team.

Lastly, Strikers is stingy on defense. The goal we had probably is missed 95 out of a 100 tries.

Back