Slammers FC Classic & Excessive Heat Warning

Should games be played tomorrow in Norco at the health risk of our children?

• Total voters
Says the person who will be watching from the sideline under the protection of shade and a cold beverage in hand no doubt. If you've never witnessed someone with a true heat emergency you should be thankful.
My daughter plays GK so I'm extra concerned with heat. Especially playing on turf. Where to draw the line between wearing pants and long sleeves for protection from the turf vs comfort in the heat. Add a pair of gloves to the mix. She'll usually opt for pants and short sleeves if it's hot. I guess at that point "all should be fine" right?! No need for a response. It was a rhetorical question.
At least she can keep her water with her. Turf burns goalies when they dive! I've seen it. My vote would be long sleeves and pants.

Says the person who will be watching from the sideline under the protection of shade and a cold beverage in hand no doubt. If you've never witnessed someone with a true heat emergency you should be thankful.
My daughter plays GK so I'm extra concerned with heat. Especially playing on turf. Where to draw the line between wearing pants and long sleeves for protection from the turf vs comfort in the heat. Add a pair of gloves to the mix. She'll usually opt for pants and short sleeves if it's hot. I guess at that point "all should be fine" right?! No need for a response. It was a rhetorical question.

I like the idea of shade and a cool beverage, but ... I'm just as likely to be the person who may be the referee (grade 7, you?). My son is also a GK (2003 playing up at 2002). I think we can agree, however, that artificial turf sucks. Grass rules. Unfortunately, my kid refuses to wear the long pants ... he has some cool rug burn/scars though. Maybe I'm just old school and remember practicing HS football in 100 degree heat with stage 3 smog alerts, lungs hurt, but we did it in full pads and didn't lose a single kid. I do remember almost passing out from overheating ... whole world got bright white, nausea and then taking a knee. Thanks for assuming. [note, nothing rhetorical about my response]

dd has been drinking so much water last 2 days that her eye balls are floating. Got the hudson sprayer with cool water for the sidelines, jerseys in the fridge/cooler til gametime. First game at 2:30, second at 6. If she feels like crap after first game we will bail on the second. Happy we have a level-headed coach that has been in this situation before and isn't afraid to forfeit a game if he feels the girls are at risk.

Vegas here and it's doable... drink plenty of water and shift the games to either early morning or after 6. Reschedule games that are at the hottest points of the day. Water breaks are given every 15 minutes during the games . Bring plenty of tissue for the nose bleeds.Sorry guys, we play in this heat all the time. Definitely move off of turf your cleats will literally melt.
Well, you add humidity to the mix and it is brutal!

Vegas here and it's doable... drink plenty of water and shift the games to either early morning or after 6. Reschedule games that are at the hottest points of the day. Water breaks are given every 15 minutes during the games . Bring plenty of tissue for the nose bleeds.Sorry guys, we play in this heat all the time. Definitely move off of turf your cleats will literally melt.
They definitely play in hot climates (Vegas, Phoenix, Alabama, etc). But most of these players adapt over time to playing in that heat. They practice in it a few times a week. The weather gets warmer over the period of 6 weeks or so. They get out very early in the morning or very late at night to play.
Those areas aren't typically going from playing at 80 degrees for the summer and then moving up to 115 the next day.

Here at this tournament, horrible luck with my car, didnt start, missed first game, boiling hot...no more norco for me.

For what it's worth, we did a cross country road trip through AZ, TX and FL. It's 100+ starting at 10 till 6-7 pm at night (not adding in the humidity). We got to watch a practice session at 5:00pm and 108 out, talked to the parents, and they said that was typical.

We played a March tournament in Massachusetts. 5 degrees (10 below with the wind chill). Had an 8:00 a.m. U10 game. The girls played in gloves and hats with about 5 layers under their uniforms. Other than the face, no exposed skin whatsoever.

We played a March tournament in Massachusetts. 5 degrees (10 below with the wind chill). Had an 8:00 a.m. U10 game. The girls played in gloves and hats with about 5 layers under their uniforms. Other than the face, no exposed skin whatsoever.

Holy! At the ECNL National Playoffs the girls and us parents were dying in the 60 degrees with wind weather. 45 degrees and I would NOT be on the field. 5 degrees!

It's important to realize the negative effects of excessive heat, and especially when the heat index is high, like this weekend. Were any positive steps to address the heat taken at Norco or elsewhere?

No...hell no...not reffing in norco again...f tht. Hate how everything is a business now, could host in a million dofferent places
It's important to realize the negative effects of excessive heat, and especially when the heat index is high, like this weekend. Were any positive steps to address the heat taken at Norco or elsewhere?

No...hell no...not reffing in norco again...f tht. Hate how everything is a business now, could host in a million dofferent places
Now if only the teams would follow suit and not sign up for tournaments in hot zones in the middle of summer.
Not that it's that much cooler, but was great park being used today?

Reactions: Art
What do teams expect when they sign up for a tournament in Norco in the middle of summer? Can't imagine watching games in that heat let alone actually being on the field.

While I get your point, those decisions are often made by the coach or DoC, which have other interests than the health of your child. Only you, the parent, can control whether your child is exposed to these conditions. If more parents opted out of tournaments or games, coaches and DoCs would demand accommodations from tournament organizers choosing to play in desert venues like Norco in the summer months. Or choose tournaments in cooler places.

Reactions: Art
Now if only the teams would follow suit and not sign up for tournaments in hot zones in the middle of summer.
Not that it's that much cooler, but was great park being used today?
I literally told a childs parent asking me if they'd cancel the game that its all about money..nno way slammers cancel and refund, which is not possible do to rentals. Few teams had forfeited today. Everyone prefers not to play in norco yet the greedy tournament coordinators want to increase profits by playing at a barren city.

While I get your point, those decisions are often made by the coach or DoC, which have other interests than the health of your child. Only you, the parent, can control whether your child is exposed to these conditions. If more parents opted out of tournaments or games, coaches and DoCs would demand accommodations from tournament organizers choosing to play in desert venues like Norco in the summer months. Or choose tournaments in cooler places.
Most coaches will back out of these tournaments if parents say so..just a matter of enforcing tournaments being played in normal venues, preferably coastal cities, or even the valley wont be bad.

107 degees at 2:30 made the 94 degrees at 6:00pm feel normal. Saw lots of leg cramps and at least one referee throwing up.
One of the 2004 brackets has 8am game 3 of pool play, semis at 11, then final in the afternoon. That's pretty brutal to have 3 games in 7 hrs with these temps.

Back