SD Surf putting youngers in sdda/presidio?

Where do you get $5k/year? just curious... that seems pretty outrageous... and at youngers? And hehe, if I paid that much damn right I'd put that sticker on my car! =)
"Kids", two kids can easily be 5k a year; one kid will easily run ya 2k in club dues + $500 team dues for referee fees, tournaments, etc.

I agree, other than that Surf means that you could be playing in the rec league, or a the highest level, much like most other clubs. I know some Surf parents that spend over $5,000 a year to have their kids play for Surf, and their kids play in lower divisions than most Matrix teams. But be sure, they have a sticker on their car.
At what ages do Surf teams play below "most Matrix teams"? In fact, find me a girls' team at any age at Surf that plays at a division lower than most Matrix teams.

Note - not a knock on Matrix.

Why did Surf stop playing in Presidio in the first place? Anyone know the story?

Maybe someone else can chime in who knows more of the details, but when I was there during the switch they sold the parents on "better competition" in SCDSL and the ability to easily club pass players to different teams.

On the boys side, in the u12-u14 age groups there was arguably stronger competition at the Flight 1 level and the club pass in theory was appealing to help players move up the ladder.

But in actuality, the Flight 2 & 3 levels in SCDSL offered identical competition to those found in San Diego (Presidio). And at the younger age groups, San Diego already provided plenty of competition even at the Flight 1 levels. Also instead of the club pass being used to reward hard-working "B" team players or give struggling "A" team players more playing time, it was used to basically place ringers on the lower level teams. For example, you'd see star "A" team players being club passed to Flight 3 "C" & "D" teams to help get results. Not exactly development.

As for the politics, I believe at the time Surf was looking to heavily support SCDSL. SCDSL had rules that were very "super-club" friendly and allowed rapid expansion. For instance, SCDSL allowed an unlimited amount of teams in a single age group and the DOC could place their own teams in whatever flight they want (it wasn't until a few years later an approval committee was setup after mass abuse). It's why when you look at a single bracket in SCDSL, it's possible to see 4 Strikers teams, 2-3 Surf teams, and 3-4 Pats teams. It wasn't unusual to see a 14 team league from just 3-4 clubs.

SCDSL basically allowed these clubs to create new teams on the fly at try-outs. 80 players at try-outs? Attempt to make a strong flight 1 team, then divide the rest into 3-4 teams and throw them in a flight 2/3 SCDSL league == Profit.

My guess the return to Presidio has to do with the Polo Field deal. They had to show continued use of the fields by San Diegans as a whole and not just a handful of rich north county families. Having the younger Surf teams play in regular Presidio league games means more local teams and players will actually get to set foot on the Polo Fields. Also, with DA starting even younger, I think Surf is having less use for SCDSL Very soon SCDSL will be a third tier league behind DA and ECNL.

Why did Surf stop playing in Presidio in the first place? Anyone know the story?
It has been almost 4 years, but I believe they did it abruptly, and we're not real nice about it.
-claimed Presidio had anti-competitive policies
-competition in SD was not good enough
-something about SDDA, can't remember what.

It has been almost 4 years, but I believe they did it abruptly, and we're not real nice about it.
-claimed Presidio had anti-competitive policies
-competition in SD was not good enough
-something about SDDA, can't remember what.

It was a beautiful letter CC wrote basically saying that Surf had no competition in SD and the anti competition paragraph was huge.
I had heard last year lower level C teams were coming back which actually makes sense and is good for all involved.

It's why when you look at a single bracket in SCDSL, it's possible to see 4 Strikers teams, 2-3 Surf teams, and 3-4 Pats teams. It wasn't unusual to see a 14 team league from just 3-4 clubs.

This is misleading. Yes you could have 4 Strikers teams, but most times, other than sharing the same uniforms, the clubs are from different areas

It was a beautiful letter CC wrote basically saying that Surf had no competition in SD and the anti competition paragraph was huge.
I had heard last year lower level C teams were coming back which actually makes sense and is good for all involved.
It was also the fact that they refused to adhere to the new recruiting rules put in place when SDDA was formed.

It was also the fact that they refused to adhere to the new recruiting rules put in place when SDDA was formed.
That was the anti-competitive part. Maybe that letter should be read out loud by the the current Surf girls Doc at the next Presidio meeting? Funniest or saddest thing about Surf people is how they move around or disappear so much.

It's for the kids.

Haven't seen any posts on this recently so was wondering if anyone had any new news - is it a done deal? Doesn't look like they'd see nearly as much competition in in SDDA... (not intended as a knock)

This didn't really happen since almost all of Surf's games were in SD or South OC. If anything, this is a problem SD teams in CSL had to deal with.

I applaud it because last year we had to drive our 7 year old daughter all the way down to San Diego from North Orange County. 2 hour drive in the morning and 3 hour drive back in the evening. Makes no sense to drive so much with so many other local teams around us. The two primary reasons why parents drop out of club or never join: 1. Money 2. Driving far distances.

Haven't seen any posts on this recently so was wondering if anyone had any new news - is it a done deal? Doesn't look like they'd see nearly as much competition in in SDDA... (not intended as a knock)
I am wondering the same thing. What's happening with this?

Also, in my experience SDDA provides some very high competition but it is uneven. Actually a really good league considering the sheer volume of teams in San Diego who are included who simply don't or can't participate all around socal- I'm thinking particularly of the central and south county teams.

"The Cal South Board voted at the November 19th, 2016 meeting to not allow age 7 or younger players to play competitive soccer for the 2017 – 2018 season unless they played competitive the prior season"---This is from the Presidio league monthly meeting. This means 2010's will be allowed to play if they played competitive last year, which should be pretty much all the 2010's.

Also it appears Surf was not allowed to rejoin the Presidio league. Can anyone verify that?

Also it appears Surf was not allowed to rejoin the Presidio league. Can anyone verify that?

I didn't know that Surf had completely dropped out of the league, but their rep is not present in any of the Presidio meeting minutes for the last couple of years. Do they owe a backlog of fees or something?

Back