Recruiting Tips for Parents Just Starting the Process

You did use berecruited though.
Yes, she signed up for a number of free profiles. SINC, BeRecruited, CaptainU, and probably 2 or 3 others. Why not? They're free. I hope everyone signs up for those profiles, and fills out the recruiting questionnaires, and sends their emails, and follows up on the schools that show interest.

Yes, she signed up for a number of free profiles. SINC, BeRecruited, CaptainU, and probably 2 or 3 others. Why not? They're free. I hope everyone signs up for those profiles, and fills out the recruiting questionnaires, and sends their emails, and follows up on the schools that show interest.

Easy cowboy, errr Legendsboy! I was pointing out you posted you didn't use the recruiting websites like CaptainU or NCSA. Now you posted you did sign-up for CaptainU. Which one is it, did you or didn't you? LOL!

Easy cowboy, errr Legendsboy! I was pointing out you posted you didn't use the recruiting websites like CaptainU or NCSA. Now you posted you did sign-up for CaptainU. Which one is it, did you or didn't you? LOL!
Yes, she signed up for a number of free profiles. SINC, BeRecruited, CaptainU, and probably 2 or 3 others. Why not? They're free. I hope everyone signs up for those profiles, and fills out the recruiting questionnaires, and sends their emails, and follows up on the schools that show interest. LOL!

Yes, she signed up for a number of free profiles. SINC, BeRecruited, CaptainU, and probably 2 or 3 others. Why not? They're free. I hope everyone signs up for those profiles, and fills out the recruiting questionnaires, and sends their emails, and follows up on the schools that show interest. LOL!

CaliKlines said:
We didn't join NCSA or CaptainU, but I am sure those organizations provide helpful instruction as well.
Stop pivoting and answer why you posted she didn't use CaptainU. When in fact your family did!

Legendsboy, There is nothing wrong using recruiting websites. Just don't type out of both sides of your keyboard!

But your experience is not the only way. You either feel threatened or you feel insecure because most posters don't feel the incessant need to keep repeating their player's accolades over and over. My daughter participated in the Legends College ID Showcase (Jan 21st and 22nd), never created or sent out a video, never hired a service, and was recruited at USYS National League events, and USYS National Championship finals. The coach even visited a couple of high school games. Her method was effective, but there are other paths...even though we didn't create a video, it can be helpful for some players. We didn't join NCSA or CaptainU, but I am sure those organizations provide helpful instruction as well. There isn't just one road to the destination, and it is very disingenuous for you to ridicule routes that are different from your own. Actually, I could care less what you do, but I just want to make sure that families just starting the process see all options.

Perhaps you may feel ridiculed because you are ridiculous. Hyping up routes that highlight your club. Pretty funny if you ask me but dangerous to those who believe you. Regarding my player please tell me one accolade she has or where she played club at since apparently I put her accolades out there. Please quote my specific posts if you can. Also what school does she attend? She may be playing against your player before you know it assuming yours sees the field her first two years.

Let me make it clear. You don't threaten me. If you had a gun and a ski mask you still wouldn't threaten me. You are Orange County threatening which is friendly where I came from. And not once did I say my players situation was normal. To paraphrase the poet Jay Z, "she be performin like Josh Norman she ain't normal n****!"

Was North Carolina State your daughters first choice or an option after her actual first choice declined to make an offer? You talk about the "major" schools at the Legends showcase, did any of them offer your player? You talk about being disingenuous yet you don't tell the whole story.

Perhaps you may feel ridiculed because you are ridiculous. Hyping up routes that highlight your club. Those are the routes that I am most acutely aware of...and which have been very successful for many players, including my own. Pretty funny if you ask me but dangerous to those who believe you. Dangerous or successful? Regarding my player please tell me one accolade she has or where she played club at since apparently I put her accolades out there. Have you repeatedly claimed that she a "straight A" student? Have you repeated claimed that she has already made the Women's U20 team for France? Have you repeatedly claimed she was involved in ECNL "national championships"? Haven't you repeatedly claimed she was involved in many ODP events? I am very happy for her success, but it seems like you attack others that espouse a different route. Please quote my specific posts if you can. Also what school does she attend? UCLA She may be playing against your player before you know it assuming yours sees the field her first two years. And if yours doesn't get displaced by a new and better recruit.

Let me make it clear. You don't threaten me. So then you are saying it is coming from insecurity? If you had a gun and a ski mask you still wouldn't threaten me. You are Orange County threatening which is friendly where I came from. And not once did I say my players situation was normal. I didn't say it was normal either. She has earned her success via one route, of which there are many. To paraphrase the poet Jay Z, "she be performin like Josh Norman she ain't normal n****!"

Was North Carolina State your daughters first choice or an option after her actual first choice declined to make an offer? Yes, after visiting the campus and seeing their facilities, and talking to the coach about their future recruits, and reviewing the width and breadth of their academic catalog, it immediately became her #1, #2, and #3 choice. You talk about the "major" schools at the Legends showcase, did any of them offer your player? No. But they did make offers to many other players in attendance. (Jan 21st and 22nd) You talk about being disingenuous yet you don't tell the whole story. Is that complete enough for you? And anyway, you know I'm just joshing around with you. I like your spunk kiddo.

Stop pivoting and answer why you posted she didn't use CaptainU. When in fact your family did!

And to help those of you that are just starting to go thru the recruiting process, there is a difference between paying for/"using" a service vs. signing up for a free online profile. Let me make myself clear, I highly encourage players to sign up for free profiles that can increase their exposure for free. And if signing up, paying for, and using a paid service is a good fit, then I'm sure it can be helpful as well, but I do not have any first hand knowledge of these services. LOL!

Last edited:
Legendsboy, whatever happened to Indiana and Oregon? Schools you used to hype up!

Posters never count your chicks before they are hatched!

because most posters don't feel the incessant need to keep repeating their player's accolades over and over.
Really? Ok, Former ECNL captain, Legends homer, USYSA National Champion, SCDSL Champions League Champion and future NC State soccer dad. Riiight, you don't post that over and over again...
hypocrite.

Really? Ok, Former ECNL captain, Legends homer, USYSA National Champion, SCDSL Champions League Champion and future NC State soccer dad. Riiight, you don't post that over and over again...
hypocrite.

tumblr_m16k8qVki91qd0mego1_500.jpg

Nailed it.

hypocrite.
You forgot HS 2015 Excalibur Champion and Legends is DA.

And to help those of you that are just starting to go thru the recruiting process, there is a difference between paying for/"using" a service vs. signing up for a free online profile. Let me make myself clear, I highly encourage players to sign up for free profiles that can increase their exposure for free. And if signing up, paying for, and using a paid service is a good fit, then I'm sure it can be helpful as well, but I do not have any first hand knowledge of these services. LOL!

You are wrong on almost every one of your blue responses. No matter. Not too concerned with my player.

Tip #2

Start the process early. I recommend that you start the process the fall of her freshman year of high school. i know that sounds really early especially since they are just starting high school and making decisions that are 5 years away seems too early but it isn't. Start getting an idea of what type of school she wants to go to. Does she want to go to a big school or a small one? Urban, rural or college town setting. Power 5 conference, mid major or D2/3. This is where she should start getting a general idea of 20-30 schools that you can start to whittle down. Also make sure that she remains flexible. I know plenty of girls that committed to schools that weren't initially on their list but fit their criteria and wanted them for the soccer team.

Bump

When committing to a school, never commit solely for the soccer program or a coach. It should be obvious, but some people have a soccer mind only. If your kid gets hurt, will the school honor their scholarship? Will your kid be happy off the soccer field? Would they like the school if they weren't playing soccer? Are they committing for the coach alone, knowing that he or she can change schools at any given moment? Just some things we took into account in my DD's process!

Bump (note ASU)

What would you do????

Many excellent academic institutions (e.g., MIT, CalTech, Johns Hopkins, Claremont, Uof Chicago, Carnegie Mellon, ...) are all D3 - no athletic scholarship. They all say its needs based but threshold is different for each institution.

Many almost unheard of institutions (e.g., regional east coast private universities) have D1 programs and offers scholarship but academically meh.

Some excellent academic institutions require very high scores/grades, in addition to soccer skills and is D1 (e.g., Ivys) but offer no athletic scholarship - only needs based.

Picking school based on what? College soccer offer? If D1, 2, 3 or NAIA? Life after soccer? Solely on affordability?

And of course coaches change and injuries happen so what's the plan-B if soccer is shortened unexpectedly?

What are you, as a parent, willing to live with and for the player, willing to do.

Unfortunately, there is no simple solution and each kid's situation is unique and has a different outcome.

The point is, if one buys into potential outcomes before starting the recruiting journey, the likelihood of successful transition to college (with or without soccer) will be greater.

Bump (cliffnote summary - aim high, start with the end in mind)

Back