Recruiting Tips for Parents Just Starting the Process

I agree with poster who stated that they usually extend their offers to sophomores and start allocating out the $$ in that age group. For juniors they have less $$ left. So start early.

Make sure your child has an idea of what they really want in a school (academics, location etc) No sense wasting time with schools that don't meet those needs. My DD was very specific on things she wanted as far as location.

Also let your child know that college coaches are watching more than just them scoring or making a great play. In meetings with college coaches my daughter was told that they watched her body language, how she reacted in certain situations, and how she handled disappointment. They know what they are looking for. Also know that a coach may not be there to watch your child, but they may just get noticed while they're watching someone else.

The college coaches are also looking For two way players. As in when an offensive player loses the ball, do they try to get it back or just stand afterwards.

They also like players who communicate on the field.

I agree with poster who stated that they usually extend their offers to sophomores and start allocating out the $$ in that age group. For juniors they have less $$ left. So start early....

Maybe, heck probably, true for girls side but definitely not true for boys side. Junior year is the biggest year and many well into the Senior year.

Just qualifying the statement since there are few of us with boys.....

Maybe, heck probably, true for girls side but definitely not true for boys side. Junior year is the biggest year and many well into the Senior year.

Just qualifying the statement since there are few of us with boys.....
I was told once it has to do with boys maturing later then girls.

I agree with poster who stated that they usually extend their offers to sophomores and start allocating out the $$ in that age group. For juniors they have less $$ left. So start early.

Make sure your child has an idea of what they really want in a school (academics, location etc) No sense wasting time with schools that don't meet those needs. My DD was very specific on things she wanted as far as location.

Also let your child know that college coaches are watching more than just them scoring or making a great play. In meetings with college coaches my daughter was told that they watched her body language, how she reacted in certain situations, and how she handled disappointment. They know what they are looking for. Also know that a coach may not be there to watch your child, but they may just get noticed while they're watching someone else.
This also does not apply to kid going to D3 colleges. Those offers go out at the end of junior year in high school.

I never heard that before.
Thanks Espola. We just went through it. What have you heard that is different ? Perhaps I should be more precise. The academically selective D3's wait for the players SAT and ACT scores before they run them past the admissions committee. The grades and scores are submitted in 2H junior year the offers come out after. This was the process for several players on our team in the class of 2017.

Thanks Espola. We just went through it. What have you heard that is different ? Perhaps I should be more precise. The academically selective D3's wait for the players SAT and ACT scores before they run them past the admissions committee. The grades and scores are submitted in 2H junior year the offers come out after. This was the process for several players on our team in the class of 2017.

D3 students I know didn't get accepted until well into their Senior year. But they weren't aiming for the athletics.

Have your player pick the school don't let the school pick you. Lot's of players that transferred take the best offer instead of picking the school first. Right @CaliKlines? Or was NC State her first choice?

D3 students I know didn't get accepted until well into their Senior year. But they weren't aiming for the athletics.
Espola, respectfully, you feeling ok? The post is specifically about high school soccer players who are trying to get admission into colleges...for D3 the commitment is made in the summer after junior year and the official acceptance letters come via the early decision letters in December of senior year...

Does anyone know the rules regarding coach/scouting contact with prospective candidates at the D3 level? Heard it is much more lenient but didn't see any guidance regarding text messages, etc...

Does anyone know the rules regarding coach/scouting contact with prospective candidates at the D3 level? Heard it is much more lenient but didn't see any guidance regarding text messages, etc...
Tugs, I have seen may kids email and text coaches in Sophomore year. For D3, early contact can be a waste of time, however, if the player does not meet the admissions criteria as of the end of junior year.

While I am 18 pages late to this thread, I just want to throw this little bit of advise out to the newbies on the recruiting wagon;
Don't rely on any club or coach to get your player recruited. Don't fall for the line of BS coaches often throw out like "I'll get him/her committed", "I've got connections ". Just know that your player will get themselves recruited. It takes effort and desire on thier part. The team is the vehicle, your player is driving. So, you might want to do your best to see that he/she is on a team that will get exposure. College coaches don't really want to go watch a Pinto, when there are so many Maserati out there. JMO.

TOP 50 academic D3 offered my dd near end of sop. year and communicated freely. They showed up and saw her and made contact. She committed D1 in early fall of her junior year.

My advice:

1) communicate very early (8th grade to 9th grade)

2) play of the best team possible that plays in college showcase (maybe that's GDA now, maybe ECNL). Coaches will find you if you are good.

3) Attend a D1 ID camp if the coach personally invites you otherwise you just be contributing to the asst coaches' salary.
OR attend if you want to see what the coaches are like

4) ask the coach how many kids he/she is taking and at what positions and ask where you stand on the recruiting depth chart.

5) choose the best FIT = academics first then soccer.

TOP 50 academic D3 offered my dd near end of sop. year and communicated freely. They showed up and saw her and made contact. She committed D1 in early fall of her junior year.

My advice:

2) play of the best team possible that plays in college showcase (maybe that's GDA now, maybe ECNL). Coaches will find you if you are good.

3) Attend a D1 ID camp if the coach personally invites you otherwise you just be contributing to the asst coaches' salary.

4) ask the coach how many kids he/she is taking and at what positions and ask where you stand on the recruiting depth chart.

8th grade??

How does one get invited to an ID camp?

Thanks for sharing.

My advice:

EastBay, for the top D3's 8th grade is too early for the coach but might help the player narrow down schools and campuses they want to focus on. Kids have plenty of time for those schools and Sophomore year is a good time to start but early Junior year is not too late.

Also, ECNL and DA are not needed for top academic D3's. I would actually argue they are overkill for that level of soccer. Coaches can see the recruits play in many venues and especially want to see them at their own ID camps/clinics more so than any showcase.

We had 10 players collect over 30 0ffers. We did not play in ECNL and heck we were only in CSL Premier for one season. Our kids played and enjoyed Nomads three times, Vegas three times and went to specific, small college ID camps. Some of our players guested in Surf, Davis and Jefferson Cup. That was fun too.

Back