Recruiting Tips for Parents Just Starting the Process

There you go again... Just assumes its for women. OP's question does not specify gender so it could be for girls but it can also be for boys.

For Men, NCAA D1 is 9.9EP and Women is 14EP. Its EP (equivalent persons) because schools can divided it up into many more student athletes.

Here is a link to general site: http://www.scholarshipstats.com/soccer.html

You can find stats for each school of interest. Its listed alphabetically by State. It also gives average amount for the particular school of interest. You can figure out if its a good offer or not by comparing to the average.

Agreed. However the entire thread is about women's college soccer recruiting. There might be a few posts regarding men's soccer buried somewhere in there. Take it personally if you want mirage. I will stick with my position that it depends upon the player and the family whether it is a good offer. Taking a ton of money to go to a bad fit is not a good offer no matter what the chart says.

So a 50% or above at a top 150 US news ranked university is a good deal?

A 80% at a podunk, unknown naia school might not be.

Which WCC schools offer 14? Or is it more like 8 since some don't have football.

I figured that I would create a place for parents that have been through the process to share insights and answer questions for parents just starting the process or looking ahead to the start of the process. With so much misinformation out there I thought that having a thread to sort it out might be useful.

This quote is from your original post on this thread titled "Recruiting Tips for Parents Just Starting the Process".

Where does it say its for girls focused???

I know its hard believe on college section that boys actually goto college and play soccer. The value of this thread was, just as the title says, for parents with kids just going through the process - boys and girls. My sense is that, not just myself but many others have contributed to the thread sharing information that benefit boys and girls. Not just a post here and there.

But since its your thread, if you don't want to hear or consider any boys trying to get into the best schools and play soccer, then those of us with boys will simply stop posting and interacting on this thread. Perhaps you can get Dom to retitle as for DD's parents.

...... Take it personally if you want mirage. I will stick with my position that it depends upon the player and the family whether it is a good offer. Taking a ton of money to go to a bad fit is not a good offer no matter what the chart says.

Take what personally??? I have no interest in getting into public display of nonsense, you and Messi had going. Go find another member to take the bate.

Your comment about the fit is very correct and it is always family and player dependent. There is no one size-fits all kind of response on this subject, regardless of gender.

Was simply trying to provide a complete response to the question by eastbay.

Take what personally??? I have no interest in getting into public display of nonsense, you and Messi had going. Go find another member to take the bate.

Your comment about the fit is very correct and it is always family and player dependent. There is no one size-fits all kind of response on this subject, regardless of gender.

Was simply trying to provide a complete response to the question by eastbay.

Look I am not trying to get into it with you. Boys info is just as valuable as girls info. The tone of your response (There you go again I believe is how you put it) is what had me confused.

So a 50% or above at a top 150 US news ranked university is a good deal?

A 80% at a podunk, unknown naia school might not be.

Which WCC schools offer 14? Or is it more like 8 since some don't have football.

I'm not sure which ones offer 14. I would check with the coach. Now are you talking about girls? I just want to be sure so as not to offend mirage.

There you go again... Just assumes its for women. OP's question does not specify gender so it could be for girls but it can also be for boys.

For Men, NCAA D1 is 9.9EP and Women is 14EP. Its EP (equivalent persons) because schools can divided it up into many more student athletes.

Here is a link to general site: http://www.scholarshipstats.com/soccer.html

You can find stats for each school of interest. Its listed alphabetically by State. It also gives average amount for the particular school of interest. You can figure out if its a good offer or not by comparing to the average.
Beware trying to negotiate using the average on the website link. A college coach will extend an offer based on how much they value the player.

This quote is from your original post on this thread titled "Recruiting Tips for Parents Just Starting the Process".

Where does it say its for girls focused???

I know its hard believe on college section that boys actually goto college and play soccer. The value of this thread was, just as the title says, for parents with kids just going through the process - boys and girls. My sense is that, not just myself but many others have contributed to the thread sharing information that benefit boys and girls. Not just a post here and there.

But since its your thread, if you don't want to hear or consider any boys trying to get into the best schools and play soccer, then those of us with boys will simply stop posting and interacting on this thread. Perhaps you can get Dom to retitle as for DD's parents.

Mirage- Pay it forward and continue to share intel/experiences that you have.... To do otherwise is a waste of informative value.

Beware trying to negotiate using the average on the website link. A college coach will extend an offer based on how much they value the player.

That's a good point. Say, one can gets 90% and another 10%, and between the two, there's the average.

What it does say is that if you are getting more than average, then probably you're valued more tan those that are getting less than average. So the question is the player bringing the average up or down....

That said, I'm sure the coaches take academic merits into the equation so if a player is valued more and has higher GPA, its possible that the athletic money is less than average because the academic money will more than makeup the difference. The result is that the program will have more money to spread to other players w/lower grade and desired.

That's a good point. Say, one can gets 90% and another 10%, and between the two, there's the average.

What it does say is that if you are getting more than average, then probably you're valued more tan those that are getting less than average. So the question is the player bringing the average up or down....

That said, I'm sure the coaches take academic merits into the equation so if a player is valued more and has higher GPA, its possible that the athletic money is less than average because the academic money will more than makeup the difference. The result is that the program will have more money to spread to other players w/lower grade and desired.

Bingo. That is why I said that you have to look at the total award. I know a player that is getting 100% at a top school and is playing and none of it is athletic based aid. Most of the time when it gets down to numbers at some point the family's financial situation comes up so that the coach can evaluate what they have to offer a desired prospect in order to make if feasible for them to attend.

On the girl's side that is another reason why what Stanford does is so impressive. A 75% scholarship at Stanford still means the family has to come up with like $18k a year. Don't get me wrong only having to pay $72k is a deal for 4 year at Stanford but it is a consideration if the family doesn't have that amount saved in a college savings program or available through tuition reimbursement at work. 75% at San Diego St. on the other hand means the family has to pay like $4k. That's a big difference.

My dd received a set athletic scholarship. The school is allowing her to combine academic also which could mean 100% coverage.

From what I understand, if u get fafsa that cuts into your athletic. I agree, the amount of athletic scholarship will Likely be proportional to how much the coach Values u. A 50% from a school that offers 14 scholarships IMO is lesser than school that offers 50% that only has 7 scholarships to give. The latter really wants u. The former has at least 27 more girls they can give .5 to.

Bingo. That is why I said that you have to look at the total award. I know a player that is getting 100% at a top school and is playing and none of it is athletic based aid. Most of the time when it gets down to numbers at some point the family's financial situation comes up so that the coach can evaluate what they have to offer a desired prospect in order to make if feasible for them to attend.

On the girl's side that is another reason why what Stanford does is so impressive. A 75% scholarship at Stanford still means the family has to come up with like $18k a year. Don't get me wrong only having to pay $72k is a deal for 4 year at Stanford but it is a consideration if the family doesn't have that amount saved in a college savings program or available through tuition reimbursement at work. 75% at San Diego St. on the other hand means the family has to pay like $4k. That's a big difference.
Very true. Plus if your dd is going to major in education of sociology, Sdsu really makes more sense. Save the extra money for grad school. Or get your phd at Stanford on tuition waiver and stipend.

Very true. Plus if your dd is going to major in education of sociology, Sdsu really makes more sense. Save the extra money for grad school. Or get your phd at Stanford on tuition waiver and stipend.

Or major in business. Their marketing program is awesome. My brother graduated from their environmental engineering program and he raves about it. Personally I would rather go to SDSU or UCSB than many of the options in the south or midwest but that is a choice that all players and their families must make. No choice is perfect for everyone. I know that I told my player to pick a school that she would want to go to if soccer ended tomorrow. So far so good.

My dd received a set athletic scholarship. The school is allowing her to combine academic also which could mean 100% coverage.

From what I understand, if u get fafsa that cuts into your athletic. I agree, the amount of athletic scholarship will Likely be proportional to how much the coach Values u. A 50% from a school that offers 14 scholarships IMO is lesser than school that offers 50% that only has 7 scholarships to give. The latter really wants u. The former has at least 27 more girls they can give .5 to.

It's not that black and white though. A 100% ride at Podunk U with no academic accolades vs 50% at top 100 nationally ranked university is apples and oranges. It all depends on what the player and family values more and their financials.

I knew of a family that didn't care what school their DD committed too as long as it was a full ride. I personally would educate my DD to accept a 50% scholarship offer at CAL vs a 100% scholarship offer at Wyoming St.

It's not that black and white though. A 100% ride at Podunk U with no academic accolades vs 50% at top 100 nationally ranked university is apples and oranges. It all depends on what the player and family values more and their financials.

I knew of a family that didn't care what school their DD committed too as long as it was a full ride. I personally would educate my DD to accept a 50% scholarship offer at CAL vs a 100% scholarship offer at Wyoming St.

A very focused kid would score just as high on the MCAT if she went to Wyoming or CAL. But in the end at Wyoming she would have a 4.0 gpa an have played in every game in her 4 year career. In the end sh goes to med school and has no debt.

I hear what u are saying though. If your kid has no idea what she wants to do got to the best school you can get accepted to.

Or major in business. Their marketing program is awesome. My brother graduated from their environmental engineering program and he raves about it. Personally I would rather go to SDSU or UCSB than many of the options in the south or midwest but that is a choice that all players and their families must make. No choice is perfect for everyone. I know that I told my player to pick a school that she would want to go to if soccer ended tomorrow. So far so good.

It all depeneds. If the school is guaranteeing money take it and run provided the school has a good academic program ( tier 1 as per US News). If he soccer programs falls of the map, transfer ;).

In response to an email from my daughter, a Div 1 school she was checking out explained that they were bound by NCAA rules to not communicate directly with her until the spring of her Junior year (she's a frosh). I had a college basketball coach friend of mine confirm that rule, but he did say that the contact rules are more relaxed for D2&3, and nonexistent for NAIA. My question: for the kids who have verbally committed to D1 schools as frosh or soph, how do they know the school they are committing to is interested if the coaches can't recruit them yet? Is it back channel evasion of NCAA rules or are the players making the verbal commitment with the hope that there will be interest and a place? Thanks.

In response to an email from my daughter, a Div 1 school she was checking out explained that they were bound by NCAA rules to not communicate directly with her until the spring of her Junior year (she's a frosh). I had a college basketball coach friend of mine confirm that rule, but he did say that the contact rules are more relaxed for D2&3, and nonexistent for NAIA. My question: for the kids who have verbally committed to D1 schools as frosh or soph, how do they know the school they are committing to is interested if the coaches can't recruit them yet? Is it back channel evasion of NCAA rules or are the players making the verbal commitment with the hope that there will be interest and a place? Thanks.
Third parties are ok.
Usually her club coach, if you trust him or her.
Also, your kid can contact them by phone at a certain age, (I forget) as long as they pick up when she calls.
Have her call and leave a message saying when she will call back.
If she calls back, and they answer, theyre interested.

The coaches cannot approach a young prospect, but they can answer any questions when asked directly, such as face-to-face and on the phone. At a tournament in Las Vegas, I got bold enough to hand out brochures to the obvious coaches - they wanted to know right up front which ones were old enough so they could talk to them. At the same tournament were some coaches from NAIA schools. They were not bound by NCAA recruiting rules so they were making direct pitches to every player they liked and even joked about their advantage over the NCAA coaches.

I recall a local college coach who used to come watch our high school games when my son was sophomore. I knew him from club soccer business, so I sat next to him once and asked him if he needed any information about our players. His only answer was a cryptic "I already know which player I am interested in". Next year his school made my son an offer.

Another odd NCAA situation - our club board tried once to get a group discount for our players to a local college's games. The college responded that they would let them in free as a group, but only if they were all under a cutoff age (13, I think) so they couldn't be accused of illegal recruiting.

Back