Ponderable

The farmer knew about the wetlands, because he paid to produce maps of them, and he conceded he destroyed some of them. What's the issue?

Sounds like the Mickey Cafagna thing again.

https://www.sandiegoreader.com/news...rimp-city-san-diego-and-mayor-poway/?page=3&#
Vernal ponds were all over San Diego.
Every mesa full of track homes, once had seasonal vernal pools.
The fairy shrimp look alot like mosquito larva.

Vernal ponds were all over San Diego.
Every mesa full of track homes, once had seasonal vernal pools.
The fairy shrimp look alot like mosquito larva.

The ones that are preserved are pretty well known, marked off on maps, some protected with fences. Mickey bulldozed them anyway.

One of my favorites (in dry phase) just west of 163 --
https://www.google.com/maps/place/S...3a21fdfd15df79!8m2!3d32.715738!4d-117.1610838

A couple of small ones, crowded with fences --
https://www.google.com/maps/place/S...3a21fdfd15df79!8m2!3d32.715738!4d-117.1610838

The ones that are preserved are pretty well known, marked off on maps, some protected with fences. Mickey bulldozed them anyway.

If he owned the property, why were his ponds protected over the ones where you, or anyone else lives?
Any mesa in San Diego with a depression on it, will serve as a vernal pond.

If you think the few you posted are any different, you're just one of a long list of vernal pond idiots.

If you want one, find a mesa, and scratch out a depression, wait for rain, and look for little things that resemble mosquito larva.

The farmer knew about the wetlands, because he paid to produce maps of them, and he conceded he destroyed some of them. What's the issue?

Sounds like the Mickey Cafagna thing again.

https://www.sandiegoreader.com/news...rimp-city-san-diego-and-mayor-poway/?page=3&#
Yeah, he wanted to be sure he could farm the land before he made the purchase.
The fact that a few yards of wetlands were disturbed on property he owns doesn't justify denying this man the right to make a living, nor does it justify the governments attempt to punish the man without due process.
Just another example of over reaching by a government bureaucracy.
Reminds me a bit of Wyoming & a certain stock pond.

Yeah, he wanted to be sure he could farm the land before he made the purchase.
The fact that a few yards of wetlands were disturbed on property he owns doesn't justify denying this man the right to make a living, nor does it justify the governments attempt to punish the man without due process.
Just another example of over reaching by a government bureaucracy.
Reminds me a bit of Wyoming & a certain stock pond.

"without due process"? Read the first line in the linked USA Today article -- "trial in federal court this summer"

If he owned the property, why were his ponds protected over the ones where you, or anyone else lives?
Any mesa in San Diego with a depression on it, will serve as a vernal pond.

If you think the few you posted are any different, you're just one of a long list of vernal pond idiots.

If you want one, find a mesa, and scratch out a depression, wait for rain, and look for little things that resemble mosquito larva.

Speaking of vernal pool idiots.

I remember catching spadefoot toads in a pond near the penasquitos slough when I was a kid.
We would catch the poliwogs, and raise them to froghood.
The red diamondbacks would lay in the pickleweed and feast on them. I know this because one morning, I waded into five or six of them without seeing them because of their incredible camo.
I think I was ten or eleven, and it was early in the morning. I was by myself, and I was already in the middle of the marsh area, standing in the pickle weed.

I bend over to look for tadpoles, and I see one snake, coiled, and cold in the morning dew.
It was unmistakably the copper hue of crotalus ruber ruber, and my foot was within inches of it.
Thank God the sun hadn't warmed it up yet.
I started to step away, when I noticed another one not two feet away, then another, and another.
I had waded into a red diamondback mine field. They were everywhere.
How I didnt step on one may have been sheer luck, or providence, I dont know.

Today, that spot is "protected".
There are no more spadefoot toads because the state, in its great wisdom, opened the channel and allowed brackish water to infiltrate the habitat, which completely wiped them out.

I remember catching spadefoot toads in a pond near the penasquitos slough when I was a kid.
We would catch the poliwogs, and raise them to froghood.
The red diamondbacks would lay in the pickleweed and feast on them. I know this because one morning, I waded into five or six of them without seeing them because of their incredible camo.
I think I was ten or eleven, and it was early in the morning. I was by myself, and I was already in the middle of the marsh area, standing in the pickle weed.

I bend over to look for tadpoles, and I see one snake, coiled, and cold in the morning dew.
It was unmistakably the copper hue of crotalus ruber ruber, and my foot was within inches of it.
Thank God the sun hadn't warmed it up yet.
I started to step away, when I noticed another one not two feet away, then another, and another.
I had waded into a red diamondback mine field. They were everywhere.
How I didnt step on one may have been sheer luck, or providence, I dont know.

Today, that spot is "protected".
There are no more spadefoot toads because the state, in its great wisdom, opened the channel and allowed brackish water to infiltrate the habitat, which completely wiped them out.

What does that have to do with vernal pools?

Ignoramus.

I don't really know how old you are, but PQ Lagoon has been connected to the ocean off and on since I first saw it 1972 when I biked down from my apartment in Clairemont. Sometimes with the right combinations of storm and rainfall, a sandbar will cut off the lagoon from the ocean except for big waves at high tide. When winter rains raise the level of the lagoon almost high enough to flood out Carmel Valley Road, water will flood over the sandbar and wash it out in about 2 hours, after which tidal flushing is restored until the next sandbar is deposited.

I don't really know how old you are, but PQ Lagoon has been connected to the ocean off and on since I first saw it 1972 when I biked down from my apartment in Clairemont. Sometimes with the right combinations of storm and rainfall, a sandbar will cut off the lagoon from the ocean except for big waves at high tide. When winter rains raise the level of the lagoon almost high enough to flood out Carmel Valley Road, water will flood over the sandbar and wash it out in about 2 hours, after which tidal flushing is restored until the next sandbar is deposited.
Ignoramus.

Listening to Repub House members blaming the liberal media for the Montana body slam.

Unfuckingbeliwvable

I have a FB friend in Montana who has joined in a thread discussing this event with what appear to be other Montanans. This morning they are divided along the expected lines - Rs say the reporter had it coming, Ds saying the candidate is a criminal.

Most unexpected is that the source supporting the reporter's story - the Fox News crew setting up for an interview who were in the room at the time.

I have a FB friend in Montana who has joined in a thread discussing this event with what appear to be other Montanans. This morning they are divided along the expected lines - Rs say the reporter had it coming, Ds saying the candidate is a criminal.

Most unexpected is that the source supporting the reporter's story - the Fox News crew setting up for an interview who were in the room at the time.
I am going to go out on a limb here, he probably had it coming.

First one, google maps street view, image captured Jan 2017 --
https://www.google.com/maps/@32.844...4!1scrv7v1JDy1oj2U1WBWaJ1Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I first became aware of San Diego's vernal pools in the early 80's when I was doing some volunteer work on projects directed by Dr. Ellen Bauder, a biologist at SDSU. She asked several of us to submit comments on mitigation plans during the construction of SR52 east from 805 to Santee. The big pool shown above was one of those she had identified in her field work, and was specifically marked off for preservation in the mitigation plans. I remember that every time I drive by there - this has been a good year for it, although it is pretty much dried out by now after a few drier months.

Back