Player Development vs Super Team Chasing?

I have seen parents drag there kid away crying and yelling they do not want to leave the team.
I seen others jumping clubs looking for that free ride until they realize talent only gets you so far.

have a buddy in the IE. His daughter tried out somewhere, all kids get assigned based on skill, flight 1/2/3/whatever. Some parents get all mad "My daughter isn't a flight 2 player!" and leave to find a new club.

Dude. your kid is 10. at that age, play time and touches are more important than a label.

I'll go with the coach who can make my kid better. I don't care about wins. Left a team because a coach played favorites and was abusive. They won all the time, but kid was miserable.
Wish more parents would think like you!... At the end of the day, if you want your kid to get scouted he's going to look at the player not the results of a team.

" I'm sure you'll agree with me that vast majority of the teams don't get accepted to Dallas Cup, Disney Showcase, or even local Surf Cup. One has to get onto a team the "system" accepts. Nothing to do with development. The other option is to get onto a DA team, where the exposure is maximum."

and here's the real spilt.

I'm all for changing clubs if a players not being pushed to their full potential at any age for any sport.

Remember, we are the ones paying for this. If our kids are screwing around and half assing it that's on the coach. That's a bad environment for growth. These super teams tend to stack rosters and only get better because each kids gets pushed daily to keep a starting roster spot.

With that being said, parents also need to be honest about their players. Don't chase wins but chase the proper environment for your kids.

..........If our kids are screwing around and half assing it that's on the coach. That's a bad environment for growth.........

Ummmm, just want to clarify. Are you really putting this on the coach??? Or do you mean something else?

If my kids are screwing around and half assing it, its on them, not the coach. Either get with the program or get out. Initiative and desire, not external authority and demands to do what they are supposed to be working on.

Ummmm, just want to clarify. Are you really putting this on the coach??? Or do you mean something else?

If my kids are screwing around and half assing it, its on them, not the coach. Either get with the program or get out. Initiative and desire, not external authority and demands to do what they are supposed to be working on.
Yep. A coach putting a ton of pressure on a kid that prefers to screw around will provide a short-term fix. But over the long-haul, it's on the player.

If the player respects the coach they won't mess around, there is plenty of blame to go around. That said, it only takes 1 or 2 kids to mess things up, then it's up to the coach to take care of it.
Last but not least, lets ban players from using there phones before practice and games.

If the player respects the coach they won't mess around, there is plenty of blame to go around. That said, it only takes 1 or 2 kids to mess things up, then it's up to the coach to take care of it.
Last but not least, lets ban players from using there phones before practice and games.

Clearly from a different generation perspective. Take names and kick a$$.

Most today's kids can have respect for the coach but will not occur to them to behave differently. Simply those thoughts do not enter their mind.

As for banning using their phones (its really their being), well, you need to get over that too....

What are you doing on your phone during class?

I am 55 and you sound just like my daughter.
Not disagreeing, but just sayin.

Thank you!!!! Nice to be confused for a youngen.

I am actually older than you. How do you think I noticed your reaction....

LOL, I suppose pliable (though my wife would differ probably). That's what happens when you have kids late in life.

Still have one in HS and playing so bit longer to go. Older one is playing college and doing quite well so just have to be pliable for few more years - then I can become more of curmudgeon.

LOL, I suppose pliable (though my wife would differ probably). That's what happens when you have kids late in life.

Still have one in HS and playing so bit longer to go. Older one is playing college and doing quite well so just have to be pliable for few more years - then I can become more of curmudgeon.
I have a female freshman at this point.

Agree totally and my kid has gotten an ear full on the way home from practice for it too. The conversation goes something like..."If I am going to spend my money and my time you better be giving it your all. I don't look at mistakes. I can tell you were not working hard. If you don't want to work hard then lets play recreational soccer and call it a day."

Who can relate to this ......players that is always missing practice due to "Not feeling Well", "Has a School function" or the so call "Impact Player" that shows up when he feels like, most likely getting financial help and gets all the playing time.

Interesting topic here. For me it’s not about player development vs chasing the super team. It’s not about winning vs development. It’s about finding the right fit and environment for the specific goals that your child has or if they are too young yet to have goals that you want for them if development is high on the list. Who is to say that a super team is not developing players as well as another so call “development over winning” team that simply preaches development over winning like an evangelist with a bible?

In fact they are the first ones to undermine the super teams and their success towards how they see the development process by claiming to say they just teach kick ball and win at all costs? Is that all they really do to stay successful in always building competitive teams with the right fit of competitive players? If I were to say that all these teams and coaches that say we strive to develop players to their full potential and don’t value winning games and trimming rosters are a package of mere sham sugar coated lies engulfed in BS. Can they really make the so call righteous claim to really be developing players equally and to their fullest potential if there is a huge talent gap in the roster because they don’t recruit or cut players and keep players around for so-called development purposes? And risk the development of the majority of players by disrupting the balance for the development process of the “team” as a whole and in fairness to the unit. Are they really helping the team or are they creating more damage to the whole so-called development process. Could cutting and recruiting players also be looked as part of the development process? Could it be that the organizations with all the experience, research that take these kinds of measures really just understand the bigger picture better?

There is no such thing as an all 100% solution to the development vs winning issue. Could it be a compromise? Or should it really be more about narrowing the distribution gap between the best and the worst players so you can develop everyone equally thus making the team as a whole develop better and faster in the process.

Coaches have a limited time with a team to develop all players equally. So what do you do? Target the weak and screw the average and best players? Or target the best and screw the weak players? Or do you simply just mix it up equally which benefits the average and weak players but screws the best players on the team? It should be more about finding the balance for development time spent on different players while also attempting to balance the talent level of the roster to narrow the gap so you don’t have to keep robbing precious time from Peter to give to Paul. Having a narrow talent level difference in the roster allows you to maximize development efforts for the “team” which covers all players equally and fairly.

I respect the teams that make the necessary cuts and recruit the right players to keep the team’s talent fairly equal. I respect the teams that play possession soccer and at the same time value winning with the aim of exposing their players to the toughest competition possible to increase the rate of development of the process in respect to the development of the whole and not for the one. It’s not about keeping the individual player who had failed to develop and has fallen below the bar because he or she is not working as hard as the rest outside of team practice and feels entitled to play in games because they are part of the team. It’s about giving them the right opportunity they needed to find the right team that truly matches their goals and expectations towards their own development process needs

The most important part of the development process is to have a clear and distinct definition and understanding of what development truly means to you and your kid. The word development is being thrown around so freely these days that I feel that most people don’t really quite understand what it really means anymore. Find the right fit and environment first that defines what development truly means to you and make sure that the team has the same values and beliefs towards the process. Could it be why or why not? Calling out Docs?

Last edited:
Interesting topic here. For me it’s not about player development vs chasing the super team. It’s not about winning vs development. It’s about finding the right fit and environment for the specific goals that your child has or if they are too young yet to have goals that you want for them if development is high on the list. Who is to say that a super team is not developing players as well as another team that all they do is preach is development over winning and are the first to undermine the big teams and their success towards the development process? Why because some say they teach kick ball and win at all costs? Is that all they really do to stay successful? What if I were to say that all these teams and coaches that say we strive to develop players to their full potential is a mere sham sugar coated lie that is full of BS. Are they really developing players equally if there is a huge gap in talent in the roster because they don’t recruit or cut players and keep players around to so call develop them and sacrifice the development of the majority of players and disrupt the development process of the team as a whole? Are they really helping the team or are they creating more damage to the whole development process.

There is no such thing as an all 100% solution to the development vs winning issue. Is it a compromise? It’s about narrowing the distribution gap between the best and the worst players so you can develop everyone equally thus making the team as a whole develop better in the process. Coaches have a limited time with a team to develop all players equally. So what do you do? Target the weak and screw the average and best players? Or target the best and screw the weak players? Or do you simply just mix it up equally which benefits the average and weak players but screws the best players on the team? I respect the big teams that make the necessary cuts and recruit the right players to keep the team’s talent fairly equal. I respect the big teams that play possession soccer and at the same time value winning to expose their players to the toughest competition possible to increase the development process in respect to the majority of players on the team and not the individual player who has fallen below the bar because he or she is not working as hard as the rest outside of team practice and feel entitled to play in games because they are just part of the team.

The most important part of the development process is to have a clear and distinct definition and understanding of what development truly means to you and your kid. The word development is being thrown around so freely these days that I feel that most people don’t really quite understand what it really means anymore. Find the right fit and environment first that defines what development truly means to you and make sure that the team has the same beliefs and values towards the process.
Ummm.......bowling shoes????

Back