Outdoor and Indoor Youth and Recreational Adult Sports guidance

If that is the case, then as many of us thought, CIF/HS Sports was the driving influence for all of youth sports regardless of age. I wonder what kind of representation youth soccer had in these sport "negotiations". Did youth soccer just get steamrolled because CIF has more power or did youth soccer get steamrolled because they had poor representation? Combo of both probably. At the end of the day I'm not sure it matters, just curious I guess.

CIF has been engaged with the state health department for some time and having been giving regular updates. There the only ones who have done that although others have said they where "in contact" but they didn't communicate what exactly there where doing of did.

Grace's take on the red zone suggestions has some truth to it. The heath dept Nov draft that was very close to be released with different and soccer was actually medium risk in red with baseball. Somethings changed after the restrictions where tighten before this Dec release.

Football was always classified as a higher risk and CIF took a risk to go with red class buts it's there big money maker so maybe they thought let go with that from a negotiation point of view.

Let's hope the Jan updates and additional lobbying gets soccer classified correctly as a medium risk sports like baseball and into the red tier. Orange is going to be very difficult to get to in Socal in time for HS sports.

Agree that outdoor non contact field sports should be in red. But I don’t see it as months.

By late Feb, CA will have confirmed infections of 6% or so. Maybe 50% overall will have had it. In addition, the vaccine will be out to another 15-20%. If we stay cautious, case numbers in March ought to be dropping by 20% per week. If so, that makes the difference between red and orange more like 3 weeks.

I’m more worried that we will get excited as soon as we hit red, open up, and knock ourselves back into purple.

I saw a report that the midwest is beginning to see a drop in covid cases. Im wondering if there's any correlation trends on how long it took them to peak (again) and down to a decline.

(MacDre, Love you man. Point being, this note is for clarification, not admonishment. And much of it is also for the hoi polloi...)

Washington came out with guidelines back in September and then revised on 11/16. Oregon did the same and then revised the their guidelines on 12/3. The National Federation of High School's Sports Medicine Advisory Committee came out with their guidelines back in May.

In all the guidelines mentioned above (links to docs are below), soccer is listed as low to medium risk sport similar to baseball, women's lacrosse etc. And this seems to be the general standard for states ranging form Massachusetts to Texas. California's guidance is the outlier.

(Washington and Oregon are important because Newsom joined the governors from those two states back in April to "collectively identify clear “indicators for communities to restart public life and business.”

Said the LA Times at the time, "The governors broadly described a few basic principles they agreed to follow as they develop strategies to return some level of normalcy to their states. The governors said they will be guided by data, prioritize health over politics and work together and with local communities.")

As you know, with this low to medium risk classification, inter-team youth soccer games - with caveats - would be allowed in CA counties if said counties were in the Red zone.

Right now, as a "high risk" sport similar, according to the Gov and his guys, to rugby and football, soccer will only be allowed when a county gets to Orange.

Based on previous Covid data, the difference btw Red and Orange level sports restarting is likely months, not days or weeks, which boils down to basically a determination that some Orange level sports are very unlikely to have any season before the end of the school year.

Per a number of anecdotal reports on this forum and elsewhere, it also sounds like the pre-12/14 CA guidance, that was largely complete back in September, originally also classified soccer as a low to medium risk sport.

Would assume that, with the flack/narrative Newsom was getting for being a "do as I say, not as I do" governor, politics - not data or health - drove the decision to move, late in the game, soccer from the low to medium risk tier to high risk.

(it came to light in early December that one of Newsom's kids reportedly plays on a norcal club soccer team that reportedly went to the Thanksgiving tournament in Phoenix that got called out by CNN and other major media outlets)

People have talked about a soccer lobby.

Based on the results we're seeing, we don't have a soccer lobby.

Alas, despite literally millions of CA kids playing organized soccer. For example, in our area, doing the math, it's close to 1 in 4 kids playing soccer. As former political consultant in another life, am appalled by the lack of a soccer community voice in the CA youth sports guideline decision making.

per the data and the science, moving soccer to a red level, low to medium risk categorization from the current orange level, high risk categorization is the right thing to do.

And re-categorizing soccer would have a tangible benefit to our kids, getting back to normalcy faster for a broad spectrum of family income levels

And having an accessible goal/light at the end of the tunnel for soccer would likely lead to less pressure travel, thus would have significant health benefits.

Here's the link to the most recent (11/16) WA guidelines: https://www.governor.wa.gov/sites/default/files/COVID19 Phase 2 and 3 Sporting Activities Guidance.pdf

Here's the link to the most recent (12/3) OR guidelines:
https://www.osaa.org/docs/osaainfo/Outdoor Recreation Guidance.pdf

Here's the link to the NFHS Sports Medicine guidelines:
https://nfhs.org/media/3812287/2020...nd-activities-nfhs-smac-may-15_2020-final.pdf
Excellent post. While I like to blame Newsom for everything, in this case the apparent lack of a soccer lobby deserves a big share of the blame. It doesn't appear that youth soccer was ever the "squeaky wheel".

Why don't we have a stronger soccer lobby? Are the various soccer organizations too busy fighting and competing with each other to come together and represent the best interests of the sport? A year ago I wouldn't have thought that the SoCal soccer landscape could have become any more disjointed. You could argue that it has become 2x as disjointed. Call me naive but I would have expected a consolidation due to Covid and not an expansion of competing acronyms. You have to wonder what the overall mission statement is for soccer in SoCal. Fortunately, our individual goal for soccer is not dependent on a acronym.

We were paying about $900 a month adding in competitions, recitals, costumes, traveling, privates. Crazy. We knew at the time that she wouldn't be dancing beyond High School.

You guys should just be grateful they aren't into equestrian, like I was when I was growing up. That's where you shed out the real big bucks. The only upside financial benefit was you could get a horse scholarship to some college in Wyoming or North Dakota, or maybe date a royal.

We were paying about $900 a month adding in competitions, recitals, costumes, traveling, privates. Crazy. We knew at the time that she wouldn't be dancing beyond High School.
Yeah, but they love it. Hard to say no. My daughter has a year and half to go but she wants to continue with competitive dance in college. She's attending a dance combine in Nashville in the spring, pretty much has to attend to make a top dance team.

You guys should just be grateful they aren't into equestrian, like I was when I was growing up. That's where you shed out the real big bucks. The only upside financial benefit was you could get a horse scholarship to some college in Wyoming or North Dakota, or maybe date a royal.
The cost to own or lease a warm blood will put you in the poor house.

One of my best friends dd got full ride to Biola U in Dance. They have home schooled all three kids since birth. One boy is a Fr at Mt Sac and it's all free. The other is Sr in HS and is already going to be a Sophomore in college next year. I asked the dad, who teachers in public education, why he didnt put his kids in free public school like all the others. He said, "are you insane???? I see and hear the truth and I would never let my kids learn this stuff." He only does it because it's a job for life and he only has 7 years left before he retires. What a messy mess all this is Wat Fly. BTW, you never answered my Q if you were hiring for a sales person. Well????? Or just not me you wouldnt take a chance on? I can take it either way. The more no's one gets, the more a yes is around the corner. If your not getting told no all day, then your not salesman. If everyone say's "yes" then your a farmer taking orders. I hunt for my game!!! When my dd was snubbed by the Doc with all the power in 2017, he told me to STFU and GTFO!!! So I told him I would see him over at the forum for a duke it out match. Round 15 is soon to come. I like to take jabs on this dude because he knocked my ass out in 2016 with all his lies and deceptions. I told him as I was picking up my teeth from the ground, "Just wait buddy."

Yeah, but they love it. Hard to say no. My daughter has a year and half to go but she wants to continue with competitive dance in college. She's attending a dance combine in Nashville in the spring, pretty much has to attend to make a top dance team.
One of my best friends dd got full ride to Biola U in Dance. They have home schooled all three kids since birth. One boy is a Fr at Mt Sac and it's all free. The other is Sr in HS and is already going to be a Sophomore in college next year. I asked the dad, who teachers in public education, why he didnt put his kids in free public school like all the others. He said, "are you insane????!!!! I see and hear the truth and I would never let my kids learn this stuff." He only does it because it's a job for life and he only has 7 years left before he retires. What a messy mess all this is Wat Fly. BTW, you never answered my Q if you were hiring for a sales person. Well????? Or just not me you wouldnt take a chance on? I can take it either way. The more no's one gets, the more a yes is around the corner. If your not getting told no all day, then your not salesman. If everyone say's "yes" all the time you call on them, then your a farmer taking orders. I hunt for my game!!! When my dd was snubbed by the Doc with all the power in 2017, he told me to STFU and GTFO!!! So I told him I would see him over at the forum for a duke it out match. Round 15 is soon to come. I like to take jabs on this dude because he knocked my ass out in 2016 with all his lies and deceptions. I told him as I was picking up my teeth from the ground, "Just wait buddy."

I saw a report that the midwest is beginning to see a drop in covid cases. Im wondering if there's any correlation trends on how long it took them to peak (again) and down to a decline.
SD, NE, MT, WY, MN, IA, ND - about 2-5 weeks to go from peak to 1/2 of peak in cases with 4 weeks at about the median. The peak may be flatter in CA lasting longer due to the size of the state if different regions peak at different times. Based on the steepness of the current rise, I am definitely hoping for a sharp drop off after the peak. I'd guess it will drop off quickly based on how it's rising, but I tend to be overly optimistic.

SD, NE, MT, WY, MN, IA, ND - about 2-5 weeks to go from peak to 1/2 of peak in cases with 4 weeks at about the median. The peak may be flatter in CA lasting longer due to the size of the state if different regions peak at different times. Based on the steepness of the current rise, I am definitely hoping for a sharp drop off after the peak. I'd guess it will drop off quickly based on how it's rising, but I tend to be overly optimistic.

I think we'll see a sharp drop off, but not because I am optimistic.

Thanksgiving gave us a tripling of cases. If Christmas gives us another tripling of cases, 3-4 weeks at that level will put us in Dakota territory - no one left to infect. Cases fall quickly after that.

Excellent post. While I like to blame Newsom for everything, in this case the apparent lack of a soccer lobby deserves a big share of the blame. It doesn't appear that youth soccer was ever the "squeaky wheel".

Why don't we have a stronger soccer lobby? Are the various soccer organizations too busy fighting and competing with each other to come together and represent the best interests of the sport? A year ago I wouldn't have thought that the SoCal soccer landscape could have become any more disjointed. You could argue that it has become 2x as disjointed. Call me naive but I would have expected a consolidation due to Covid and not an expansion of competing acronyms. You have to wonder what the overall mission statement is for soccer in SoCal. Fortunately, our individual goal for soccer is not dependent on a acronym.
I think we'll see the real consolidation a year from now. Clubs cobbling together teams this year will have players leaving next year. Parents who got charged nearly full price for a season of practices will be looking for new options (newsflash - Most clubs did this. If you find one that did the whole year for free- They might not be around (financially) for very long. Clubs who had coaches leave because of pay cuts being asked to drive to oceanside for undercover scrimmages - those parents will be looking around too.
Or players will say "I didn't really like soccer that much. I enjoyed having every saturday to go to the beach with my friends"

I think we'll see a sharp drop off, but not because I am optimistic.

Thanksgiving gave us a tripling of cases. If Christmas gives us another tripling of cases, 3-4 weeks at that level will put us in Dakota territory - no one left to infect. Cases fall quickly after that.
My concerns are that we are overestimating cases/infections and that NorCal still has a ways to go to hit the top.

When you say "another tripling of infections" are you talking about from current levels? If CA keeps going up at our current rate for another 3-4 weeks we won't need to worry about a vaccine.

I think we'll see the real consolidation a year from now. Clubs cobbling together teams this year will have players leaving next year.

Having spoken with associates, we're already there. This is not meant to be a political post so please don't jump on it but if you assume that Biden is serious about getting kids back to school within 100 days from Jan 20th, that's mid-May when you would expect a good chunk of school districts to reopen their facilities for clubs to do serious work on. Can we get there? I don't know but I sure hope so. The traditional tryout season for youngers would be starting in anger right about now and in talking with others I get the sense that a lot of it is still up in the air. Those clubs who do the early tryouts haven't posted their schedules afaik.

imo the traditional dropoff of 13-14-15 is going to be very pronounced this year and I do think we'll also see a good chunk of 8-9-10 deciding it isn't their thing anymore either. Everyone who I have talked to are preparing for the overall ecosystem to be cut in half. That really woke me up. We will take a look at '13 registration levels to see if the overall pipeline has been affected but everyone is saying that it will be by a huge amount, as the disposable incomes aren't there or are being diverted to other things.

My concerns are that we are overestimating cases/infections and that NorCal still has a ways to go to hit the top.

When you say "another tripling of infections" are you talking about from current levels? If CA keeps going up at our current rate for another 3-4 weeks we won't need to worry about a vaccine.
Look at what happened over thanksgiving. How many people did each person infect?

Yes, I think we will see a doubling or tripling from current levels. Especially NorCal, because of the lack of past cases.

I would love to be wrong about it.

Look at what happened over thanksgiving. How many people did each person infect?

Yes, I think we will see a doubling or tripling from current levels. Especially NorCal, because of the lack of past cases.

I would love to be wrong about it.
@Grace showed something on the Good News thread that indicates LA might be near the peak.

The highest "2nd wave compared to the 1st wave" from other states with a significant 1st wave was IL with a 2nd wave peak that was about 4x the first wave peak. In CA, we are currently about 4x the first wave July peak. Doubling from here would make that 8x, tripling would be 12x.

Back