Outdoor and Indoor Youth and Recreational Adult Sports guidance

yup. Distancing in dodgeball is the same as volleyball but dodgeball was lower category. Soccer and football in same category but cheer is lower category. Waterpolo in soccer category but masks in the pool. Some people just clearly have a better lobby than we do.
Cheerleaders literally hold each other and shout in each others faces. How is that safer? (Not questionning you, just the stupid rule!)

There are only three categories. Yes, the highest contact sport in each category will be higher risk than the lowest contact sport in each category.

Did you want them to wait another 3 months to get exact scientific evidence on every sport known to man, or did you want them to publish a decent set of rules so we knew what to plan for?

We wanted them to do something kind of like Washington. They did. Why are we complaining about it?
I agree. We are happy they finally did this. Why didn't they stay with what Washington and every other sport has done. They have had 9 months to get scientific evidence so the rules should have been better than what they gave us.

Washington and the US rules:

"Low Risk sports are Cross country, golf, swimming and diving, tennis and track and field, sideline cheerleading also able to resume with no contact.
Moderate-risk sports are baseball, bowling, gymnastics, soccer, softball and volleyball.
High-risk sports are also allowed to begin intra-squad competition in counties that fall in the moderate-risk tier. Those sports are basketball, football, wrestling and cheerleading and dance with contact."

Funny thing at our High School is the two main events cheerleading is at is football games and basketball games.

Well if CIF follows these guidelines the only sports that have any chance this year are the ones in tier one (Purple) and maybe (Red). Even when the numbers were low at the end of summer there weren't any So Cal counties in the Orange Tier. That's too bad for so many kids...freshman their first experience in HS and Seniors, many who will never wear a jersey or play competitively again, they definitely lose out the most.
So my daughter can Cheer, but what exactly will she be cheering for?

Guess my kid is running track at school. They put girls Lacrosse and boys lacrosse in different categories? Do they have different rules? I thought Lacrosse was more physical than soccer? Indoor basketball is never happening. How football and soccer can be put in the same category is absurd. Blocking and tackling. Sheesh.
Boys and girls lacrosse are very different rules. Boys lacrosse is full contact, with full pads. Girls lacrosse is non contact, played in shorts and a tank top. They shouldn’t even be called the same sport.

SOL is my new slogan. I got behind on a few payments and one collection person said she has to send me to Mr Experian if i dont pay up. I told her that's ok, I'm trying to eat so go ahead and ruin me for life. She laughed and said sorry and she's just doing her job. I had a 796 score and me wife had 810 in our hay day so I know the true self under normal circumstances. What a score what a great guy!!! Today, oh man, not good. I'm a loser in the old system now so I'm hoping someone intervenes asap. Reset? Reboot? Pause and start over? Give me a food card and I just sit around inside my house? I have no skills right now that fit essential worker so SOL in this state. I tried to be a plumber after pro baseball failed me. Problem for me is any site or smell of someone else poo poo makes me throw up. Plus, I'm not a very handy dude, if you know what I mean. I just think of ideas and give them away.

I agree. We are happy they finally did this. Why didn't they stay with what Washington and every other sport has done. They have had 9 months to get scientific evidence so the rules should have been better than what they gave us.

Washington and the US rules:

"Low Risk sports are Cross country, golf, swimming and diving, tennis and track and field, sideline cheerleading also able to resume with no contact.
Moderate-risk sports are baseball, bowling, gymnastics, soccer, softball and volleyball.
High-risk sports are also allowed to begin intra-squad competition in counties that fall in the moderate-risk tier. Those sports are basketball, football, wrestling and cheerleading and dance with contact."

Funny thing at our High School is the two main events cheerleading is at is football games and basketball games.
IDK, but I’d guess that soccer is low to moderate risk in Washington because not many folks are interested in soccer up there, especially in the winter.

IDK, but I’d guess that soccer is low to moderate risk in Washington because not many folks are interested in soccer up there, especially in the winter.
No way Dre. Five Points is always playing ball. I was up in Seattle Jan 21st and girls were practicing in the rain. Seattle U ring a bell? The girls play soccer and are tough as nails because they play in the cold and the dark. I have a socal friend that got a ride to Nebraska back in late 90s. She said her hair would be frozen from practicing in the snow and sleet. Plus light rain would drip on her face and turn into ice before roll off her face. She got the heck out and finished her career in Sunny California.

No way Dre. Five Points is always playing ball. I was up in Seattle Jan 21st and girls were practicing in the rain. Seattle U ring a bell? The girls play soccer and are tough as nails because they play in the cold and the dark. I have a socal friend that got a ride to Nebraska back in late 90s. She said her hair would be frozen from practicing in the snow and sleet. Plus light rain would drip on her face and turn into ice before roll off her face. She got the heck out and finished her career in Sunny California.
Not talking about college or pro soccer. What’s the club soccer landscape like in Washington, Oregon, or Vancouver, CA?

There are only three categories. Yes, the highest contact sport in each category will be higher risk than the lowest contact sport in each category.

Did you want them to wait another 3 months to get exact scientific evidence on every sport known to man, or did you want them to publish a decent set of rules so we knew what to plan for?

We wanted them to do something kind of like Washington. They did. Why are we complaining about it?
They have had 9 months. Stop defending arbitrary guidelines you know you don’t agree with just to keep your position.

If your can’t figure out why people are complaining about it....I don’t know that anyone can help you figure it out.

They have had 9 months. Stop defending arbitrary guidelines you know you don’t agree with just to keep your position.

If your can’t figure out why people are complaining about it....I don’t know that anyone can help you figure it out.
The real question. Why wasn't this put put in September when actually some areas could reach orange? Oh right, only release it when we know the state can't reach it for months on months. Fits Newsome's patterns. I can't wait for when he tries telling college recruiting age teams they can't travel come February/March. Hopefully you don't live in Santa Clara county where they will just threaten to destroy and ruin a clubs ability to run. Ban sports the are most dangerous or limit what they can do aka indoor basketball in a small gym. Let those sports that have proven it can be done safely with no outbreaks aka soccer

Not talking about college or pro soccer. What’s the club soccer landscape like in Washington, Oregon, or Vancouver, CA?
Club is big time. The kids play at Five Points. Lot's of kids play soccer in the Northwest. Hope ring a bell? Crossfire?

Apparently CIF was pushing for all team sports to be in the red zone. The state said no. Editorial here: it looks like one of the ways it worked out for soccer (and water polo) is the were sacrificial lambs in the attempt to save football.

If that is the case, then as many of us thought, CIF/HS Sports was the driving influence for all of youth sports regardless of age. I wonder what kind of representation youth soccer had in these sport "negotiations". Did youth soccer just get steamrolled because CIF has more power or did youth soccer get steamrolled because they had poor representation? Combo of both probably. At the end of the day I'm not sure it matters, just curious I guess.

(MacDre, Love you man. Point being, this note is for clarification, not admonishment. And much of it is also for the hoi polloi...)

Washington came out with guidelines back in September and then revised on 11/16. Oregon did the same and then revised the their guidelines on 12/3. The National Federation of High School's Sports Medicine Advisory Committee came out with their guidelines back in May.

In all the guidelines mentioned above (links to docs are below), soccer is listed as low to medium risk sport similar to baseball, women's lacrosse etc. And this seems to be the general standard for states ranging form Massachusetts to Texas. California's guidance is the outlier.

(Washington and Oregon are important because Newsom joined the governors from those two states back in April to "collectively identify clear “indicators for communities to restart public life and business.”

Said the LA Times at the time, "The governors broadly described a few basic principles they agreed to follow as they develop strategies to return some level of normalcy to their states. The governors said they will be guided by data, prioritize health over politics and work together and with local communities.")

As you know, with this low to medium risk classification, inter-team youth soccer games - with caveats - would be allowed in CA counties if said counties were in the Red zone.

Right now, as a "high risk" sport similar, according to the Gov and his guys, to rugby and football, soccer will only be allowed when a county gets to Orange.

Based on previous Covid data, the difference btw Red and Orange level sports restarting is likely months, not days or weeks, which boils down to basically a determination that some Orange level sports are very unlikely to have any season before the end of the school year.

Per a number of anecdotal reports on this forum and elsewhere, it also sounds like the pre-12/14 CA guidance, that was largely complete back in September, originally also classified soccer as a low to medium risk sport.

Would assume that, with the flack/narrative Newsom was getting for being a "do as I say, not as I do" governor, politics - not data or health - drove the decision to move, late in the game, soccer from the low to medium risk tier to high risk.

(it came to light in early December that one of Newsom's kids reportedly plays on a norcal club soccer team that reportedly went to the Thanksgiving tournament in Phoenix that got called out by CNN and other major media outlets)

People have talked about a soccer lobby.

Based on the results we're seeing, we don't have a soccer lobby.

Alas, despite literally millions of CA kids playing organized soccer. For example, in our area, doing the math, it's close to 1 in 4 kids playing soccer. As former political consultant in another life, am appalled by the lack of a soccer community voice in the CA youth sports guideline decision making.

per the data and the science, moving soccer to a red level, low to medium risk categorization from the current orange level, high risk categorization is the right thing to do.

And re-categorizing soccer would have a tangible benefit to our kids, getting back to normalcy faster for a broad spectrum of family income levels

And having an accessible goal/light at the end of the tunnel for soccer would likely lead to less pressure travel, thus would have significant health benefits.

Here's the link to the most recent (11/16) WA guidelines: https://www.governor.wa.gov/sites/d...hase 2 and 3 Sporting Activities Guidance.pdf

Here's the link to the most recent (12/3) OR guidelines:
https://www.osaa.org/docs/osaainfo/Outdoor Recreation Guidance.pdf

Here's the link to the NFHS Sports Medicine guidelines:
https://nfhs.org/media/3812287/2020...nd-activities-nfhs-smac-may-15_2020-final.pdf

(MacDre, Love you man. Point being, this note is for clarification, not admonishment. And much of it is also for the hoi polloi...)

Washington came out with guidelines back in September and then revised on 11/16. Oregon did the same and then revised the their guidelines on 12/3. The National Federation of High School's Sports Medicine Advisory Committee came out with their guidelines back in May.

In all the guidelines mentioned above (links to docs are below), soccer is listed as low to medium risk sport similar to baseball, women's lacrosse etc. And this seems to be the general standard for states ranging form Massachusetts to Texas. California's guidance is the outlier.

(Washington and Oregon are important because Newsom joined the governors from those two states back in April to "collectively identify clear “indicators for communities to restart public life and business.”

Said the LA Times at the time, "The governors broadly described a few basic principles they agreed to follow as they develop strategies to return some level of normalcy to their states. The governors said they will be guided by data, prioritize health over politics and work together and with local communities.")

As you know, with this low to medium risk classification, inter-team youth soccer games - with caveats - would be allowed in CA counties if said counties were in the Red zone.

Right now, as a "high risk" sport similar, according to the Gov and his guys, to rugby and football, soccer will only be allowed when a county gets to Orange.

Based on previous Covid data, the difference btw Red and Orange level sports restarting is likely months, not days or weeks, which boils down to basically a determination that some Orange level sports are very unlikely to have any season before the end of the school year.

Per a number of anecdotal reports on this forum and elsewhere, it also sounds like the pre-12/14 CA guidance, that was largely complete back in September, originally also classified soccer as a low to medium risk sport.

Would assume that, with the flack/narrative Newsom was getting for being a "do as I say, not as I do" governor, politics - not data or health - drove the decision to move, late in the game, soccer from the low to medium risk tier to high risk.

(it came to light in early December that one of Newsom's kids reportedly plays on a norcal club soccer team that reportedly went to the Thanksgiving tournament in Phoenix that got called out by CNN and other major media outlets)

People have talked about a soccer lobby.

Based on the results we're seeing, we don't have a soccer lobby.

Alas, despite literally millions of CA kids playing organized soccer. For example, in our area, doing the math, it's close to 1 in 4 kids playing soccer. As former political consultant in another life, am appalled by the lack of a soccer community voice in the CA youth sports guideline decision making.

per the data and the science, moving soccer to a red level, low to medium risk categorization from the current orange level, high risk categorization is the right thing to do.

And re-categorizing soccer would have a tangible benefit to our kids, getting back to normalcy faster for a broad spectrum of family income levels

And having an accessible goal/light at the end of the tunnel for soccer would likely lead to less pressure travel, thus would have significant health benefits.

Here's the link to the most recent (11/16) WA guidelines: https://www.governor.wa.gov/sites/default/files/COVID19 Phase 2 and 3 Sporting Activities Guidance.pdf

Here's the link to the most recent (12/3) OR guidelines:
https://www.osaa.org/docs/osaainfo/Outdoor Recreation Guidance.pdf

Here's the link to the NFHS Sports Medicine guidelines:
https://nfhs.org/media/3812287/2020...nd-activities-nfhs-smac-may-15_2020-final.pdf
Agree that outdoor non contact field sports should be in red. But I don’t see it as months.

By late Feb, CA will have confirmed infections of 6% or so. Maybe 50% overall will have had it. In addition, the vaccine will be out to another 15-20%. If we stay cautious, case numbers in March ought to be dropping by 20% per week. If so, that makes the difference between red and orange more like 3 weeks.

I’m more worried that we will get excited as soon as we hit red, open up, and knock ourselves back into purple.

Back