NATIONAL CUP O6 2018

I had a chance to watch the first half of the CDA Slammers Salazar vs. FC Golden State game. I wanted to see if the goal scoring was a fluke or the real deal. The CDA team plays soccer! They touch the ball, build out of the back and have talent all over the field. They are definitely one of the top teams and a force moving forward.

I had a chance to watch the first half of the CDA Slammers Salazar vs. FC Golden State game. I wanted to see if the goal scoring was a fluke or the real deal. The CDA team plays soccer! They touch the ball, build out of the back and have talent all over the field. They are definitely one of the top teams and a force moving forward.
Did they add some new players since CRL?

Albion vs CZ was 0-0 with 5 minutes left. CZ looked like a solid side to me.

Also saw the start of CDA's game on Sunday. They have a lot of girls who can score and a solid defense. I know that how good a team looks can just be weak competition, but they looked very, very good. 18 goals in 2 games in pretty amazing. Will be interested to see if Slammers can give them a game next Sunday.

I only saw the last 15-20 minutes of Surf B's loss to South Valley. Not sure how the rest of the game was, but Surf B had several chances that they couldn't finish. Certainly a surprise result to me.

Also saw the start of CDA's game on Sunday. They have a lot of girls who can score and a solid defense. I know that how good a team looks can just be weak competition, but they looked very, very good. 18 goals in 2 games in pretty amazing. Will be interested to see if Slammers can give them a game next Sunday.

I only saw the last 15-20 minutes of Surf B's loss to South Valley. Not sure how the rest of the game was, but Surf B had several chances that they couldn't finish. Certainly a surprise result to me.

CZ Elite is no walkover opponent. We've played them 6 times in the past 2 years and with the exception of 1 game they always play us tough.

So CDA finished 8th in CRL score only 11 goals during CRL and is now coming out in National Cup scoring an average of 9 goals each game...... hmmmm
I am curious to see if this streak will continue when they play the Big Dawgs.
On the other hand Congratulations on your victories and may the odds be ever in your favor

A lot of good games coming up on Sunday. I think there will ultimately be a few teams with two group wins that won't advance due to goal differential. Good luck to all the girls!

So CDA finished 8th in CRL score only 11 goals during CRL and is now coming out in National Cup scoring an average of 9 goals each game...... hmmmm
I am curious to see if this streak will continue when they play the Big Dawgs.
On the other hand Congratulations on your victories and may the odds be ever in your favor
I think they are for real. Slammers AW are a solid team and will advance as a wildcard, but I think CDA wins that game and easily wins their round of 16 game.

I disagreed with your post because I have never considered "tall/big and big kicks" to be toward the top of any list of criteria for being "one of the best keepers" at this age group. The worst keeper my dd ever played with was at least six inches taller than everyone else and had a heck of a kick. Unfortunately, she couldn't catch the ball or dribble it to save her life. I could be wrong, but I don't think my opinion of the best keepers in this age group will change much because of the move to larger fields. If you meant to say what Tech said, I didn't get that from your post.

At the 9v9 level, smaller, athletic keepers can thrive because the goal is only 6.5'x18', thus, a 5' keeper can still touch the top post. Next year, that goal becomes 8'x24' and the short keepers (5'2") are at a distinct disadvantage because there is about 1 to 1.5 feet of undefendable goal and their limited wingspan makes it difficult to get to the posts. Moreover, the shorter keepers will have to be super aggressive to make the goal smaller leaving them vulnerable to chipping all day long.

The advantage to the bigger kids (5'8"+) (speaking of girls) is "skills" and "technique" can be acquired through training. Once you make the jump to the 11v11 those little keepers look like midgets in the full-sized goal.

My son is a 14 year old (2003) who now stands 6'2", when he was a U12 (much shorter) he was the 2nd string keeper, just learning the position and while a converted field player, had all sorts of things to work on. Fast forward a few years and the kid is playing up a year and got called up to Varsity as a Freshmen (the only Freshman to get called up to the Varsity team). His save percentage is much higher than the shorter older keeper because his height and size allows him to hold his position longer making is much tougher for the strikers to pull him out of position like the smaller keepers who have to play hyper-aggressively to have success.

The larger field and larger goals are going to be game changers, especially for the female keepers.

Finally got a couple extra minutes to look at the standings. I like how the top 2 seeded teams from each group play each other on the last day. Makes for a lot of interesting games and possible shake ups on who gets through.
I don't know enough to have any real good predictions in this age group, but for fun I picked the 9 teams that I feel will be all fighting for the 5 wild card spot with 6 points after the dust settles.
Slammers FC G06 AW, Riverside MGFM, Legends FC G06 FC, LAGSD G06 Pre Academy-Eckerlin, Strikers FC North G06 Black IA, South Valley SC Gore, Legends FC South G06 FC, SD Surf Academy Girls (AB), and CDA FC Slammers HB Gimenez.

Best of luck to all the little ladies out there and hopefully some nice weather for all us parents!

Finally got a couple extra minutes to look at the standings. I like how the top 2 seeded teams from each group play each other on the last day. Makes for a lot of interesting games and possible shake ups on who gets through.
I don't know enough to have any real good predictions in this age group, but for fun I picked the 9 teams that I feel will be all fighting for the 5 wild card spot with 6 points after the dust settles.
Slammers FC G06 AW, Riverside MGFM, Legends FC G06 FC, LAGSD G06 Pre Academy-Eckerlin, Strikers FC North G06 Black IA, South Valley SC Gore, Legends FC South G06 FC, SD Surf Academy Girls (AB), and CDA FC Slammers HB Gimenez.

Best of luck to all the little ladies out there and hopefully some nice weather for all us parents!

I think the top seed in each group probably wins their group except Real So Cal wins I and Anaheim wins J.
Slammers AW is a lock for a wild card even if they lose on Sunday.
I think Strikers North Black probably loses to SD Surf Brookfield, but it is close enough that they get a wildcard.
South Valley SC tries to beat Legends East by 3-4 to get a wildcard.
Legends South loses to Beach, but keeps it close enough to advance.
LAGSD also tries to get a large margin of victory against Sand and Surf to get a wildcard.
Riverside MGFM gets two wins in the group, but I am not sure they will be able to win Sunday by enough to advance.
Legends FC 06 is left out after losing to Albion by 2 on Sunday.
Oxnard might get a second win on Sunday, but it is not enough to make up for their current -3 goal differential.
Beach Torres could win their game to advance with 7 points, but I think Slammers CB gets that win and neither advance.

Oh, and the now scheduled 3:10 start time will make it so that Surf A will already know that they have won their group (or can only lose their game by x goals to win their group) before their game against Surf AB even starts (Anaheim vs CDA HB starts at 1:50). They could lay down against Surf AB to help that team advance without any risk to their own standing. I hope that's not the case, but we will find out.

Beach over Legends South 1-0. Hope Legends gets a WC spot, they are a deserving of it.
Thanks, that was a tough loss. The supposed foul that lead to the goal was ridiculous. We just didn’t get any calls today.
Beach played a good game but it should have ended in a 0-0 tie if not for a bad ref call.

I find it very interesting that Surf AB beat Surf Academy Select 1-0. Didn’t hurt Surf Academy Select’s qualifying for the round of 16, but it sure helped Surf AB make it in via the WC. Things that make you go hmmmmm

I find it very interesting that Surf AB beat Surf Academy Select 1-0. Didn’t hurt Surf Academy Select’s qualifying for the round of 16, but it sure helped Surf AB make it in via the WC. Things that make you go hmmmmm
I feel bad for whoever missed out on a wildcard by 1 spot. I realize they likely wouldn’t have won next week, but you’d like to think everything is above board for a bunch of 11 year-olds playing soccer.

Back