NATIONAL CUP O6 2018

Great game. Surf deserved the win. Many can argue with Blues style but that was first goal they gave up in tournament. Great defense but Surf was tenacious.

Congratulations to surf on game well played.

Congrats to Blues for being there. Two great teams.

Surf was very composed and patient trying to break down a resilient Blues squad.

Blues employed same tactic as yesterday with Galaxy and waited for the counter to take their opportunities. A lot to ask of from the 2 players they would send on the counter. On the small field it provided a few dangerous opportunities but allowing Surf half the field means you're relying on a ton of stamina and some good fortune to employ that tactic.

Great effort from Blues, when they went down they threw everything they could at Surf but it was tough changing gears.

Congrats to Surf on a great run!

Congrats to Surf and great job Blues.

On to the big field next year. Will be interesting to see how that impacts this year's top teams. For example, how will the Blues counter attacking style work when the goalie can't punt the ball into the opponents penalty box or when you can't shoot from the kick-off?

Should be a fun year.

When is our first chance to see the new teams play???? Legends (depending on how many dont go DA) and Surf are gonna be DEEP!!!!
Legends 05 DA already has committed around 10 players and none are 06s at this point.

If they can pull in enough talented 05s between now and season, I'd expect only 2 06s at the most to make the jump. All depends on the 05s they can get.

Legends 05 DA already has committed around 10 players and none are 06s at this point.

If they can pull in enough talented 05s between now and season, I'd expect only 2 06s at the most to make the jump. All depends on the 05s they can get.

Which two? That team loses certain players it will change everything for them.

Rumor on the streets is the team is staying intact. We will see soon enough.

Surf was very composed and patient trying to break down a resilient Blues squad.

Blues employed same tactic as yesterday with Galaxy and waited for the counter to take their opportunities. A lot to ask of from the 2 players they would send on the counter. On the small field it provided a few dangerous opportunities but allowing Surf half the field means you're relying on a ton of stamina and some good fortune to employ that tactic.

Great effort from Blues, when they went down they threw everything they could at Surf but it was tough changing gears.

Congrats to Surf on a great run!
Not at all surprised that surf won it this year. They are an excellent team and clearly one of the top teams the entire season. Expect them to transition to the larger fields quite easily.

I am pretty surprised that blues dropped off completely again today. They hadn’t lost to surf in 4 meetings this year and actually won 2 of the 4 games. Seems like BH got a little too attached to the strategy from yesterday instead of drawing from prior games against this same team. Maybe the injuries played into her strategy (?), but clearly she didn’t have the confidence in her team this time around.

Hoping my dd is healthy enough to be out there with the rest of the girls on the big field next season. Best of luck to all.

Which two? That team loses certain players it will change everything for them.
Rumor on the streets is the team is staying intact. We will see soon enough.
WW is coaching the 05 DA team next season and it really does come down to the question of "what holes are there to fill"? The commits she has at the time give her the ability to play possession, direct, or a hybrid of both. The window between now and when DA season comes into play is still far off where she'll certainly take her time making sure she locks up recruits that they've been working on all season.

Having seen the Legends 06 girls on the big field they have multiple girls who could make the jump but if WW can reel in additional top talent that are 05s she won't have to pull from the 06 pool of girls. I believe @SCOTT21 is correct in that the team can very well stay intact. Currently there are 2 players with that target to get pulled up and they're "central" to what any team is looking for.

I am pretty surprised that blues dropped off completely again today. They hadn’t lost to surf in 4 meetings this year and actually won 2 of the 4 games. Seems like BH got a little too attached to the strategy from yesterday instead of drawing from prior games against this same team. Maybe the injuries played into her strategy (?), but clearly she didn’t have the confidence in her team this time around.

Blues certainly has the players to have played Surf straight up, it was really a lot to ask from those girls to have played to a great defensive effort and then try and switch gears after going down 1-0. I'm sure like others, it would have been nice to see a high scoring back and forth match up instead.

Great game. Surf deserved the win. Many can argue with Blues style but that was first goal they gave up in tournament. Great defense but Surf was tenacious.

Congratulations to surf on game well played.

Congrats to Blues for being there. Two great teams.
Congrats to Surf on a great win and great year! They were patient and could have easily scored a couple of more goals.

I don’t consider what I saw from Blues today to be great defense. Parking the bus from the start against a team you have beaten before is just a head scratcher to me. Every time Blues would win a ball, they would give it up almost immediately as there was nobody up to help their lone offensive player and they were clearly told to stay back. Credit Surf for picking their spots and taking the championship.

Blues certainly has the players to have played Surf straight up, it was really a lot to ask from those girls to have played to a great defensive effort and then try and switch gears after going down 1-0. I'm sure like others, it would have been nice to see a high scoring back and forth match up instead.

I agree completely. Saw these two teams play earlier this year and believe Blues matched up very well against them (blues beat surf 3 times over last year).

While it was the right tactic yesterday, didn’t leave them with many opportunities today. I think it could have been a different result with previous strategy. But could of,
should of, would of.

Surf earned it! They deserved to be called best team in So Cal

Congrats to Surf on a great win and great year! They were patient and could have easily scored a couple of more goals.

I don’t consider what I saw from Blues today to be great defense. Parking the bus from the start against a team you have beaten before is just a head scratcher to me. Every time Blues would win a ball, they would give it up almost immediately as there was nobody up to help their lone offensive player and they were clearly told to stay back. Credit Surf for picking their spots and taking the championship.

I have to agree with this post. Not to get into the soccer style wars, but it seems odd to concede possession every time by having your goalie punt the ball right back to the opponent. I get that you've got a stud goalie and a physical presence up top, but what about the rest of the team? You are pretty much bypassing 7 other players. Those player have to be good, cause you recruited them all, so why not let them play?

All of the final 4 teams seemed to pretty much play consistently in the same way in the games that I saw them. Surf was technically sound and moved the ball well, Legends had a strong center D, lots of speed up top and the ability to make complete line changes in the midfield without a drop-off in skill, Galaxy had a stingy defense, good technical skills and plays possession, and Blues' stud keeper boomed the ball up in the hope of getting it to their forward. I didn't see a lot of adjustments by anyone to try and win games. It seems like the girls played the way that they were taught. I didn't see every game by these teams so I could be wrong, but that's just my $0.02. It's probably worth about that.

I have to agree with this post. Not to get into the soccer style wars, but it seems odd to concede possession every time by having your goalie punt the ball right back to the opponent. I get that you've got a stud goalie and a physical presence up top, but what about the rest of the team? You are pretty much bypassing 7 other players. Those player have to be good, cause you recruited them all, so why not let them play?
Blues does have other very good players. If you think it was always just play defense and have the goalie launch it to the striker, you didn’t watch them enough this year. The winning goal in their national cup game against legends south was a perfect example. Good defense in the middle led to a steal and connecting passes between 3 blues players (none of them the goalie or striker) for a perfect goal. Their striker is certainly a major weapon and they look to get the ball to her, but she was out for most of scdsl league and they still won every game.

I have to admit that as crazy as I am about girls 2006 soccer, I do only go to games where my kid is playin'.

You said above that LAGalaxy was the better team yesterday vs. Blues, and another poster (Wasabi I think) said that Blues would have been crazy to play LAGalaxy straight up, but I wonder given what you said above...

If they had so much success during SCDSL, incl. vs. a talented Surf team, and it's been working in National Cup, then why switch it up for the final games (or at least vs. Surf)? As we say in my former state, you got to ride the horse you came in on...

With all due respect, teams must play different strategies against different opponents. It’s part of this game and every sport out there. For all the 4 teams, they all needed to play to their strengths and capitalize on any mistakes given by the other team. If the teams, only know how to play a singular manner, does that help them to understand tradeoffs and ways to capitalize in a thinking manner? I don’t know, just a thought.

I’m a Blues homer but believe you still have to execute besides simply beating up on weaker defenses for lopsided scores and saying you’re a good team that way. Go Blues!
These are 11 and 12 year old girls. Teach them how to dribble, make accurate passes, dribbling into space, and see the field. They don't need to win the game so desperately with tactics from a coach. These tournaments will be so irrelevant in a few years. All I have to say Galaxy plays a beautiful game. Possession style.

Congrats to Surf A for winning National Cup and congrats to all of the players on all of the teams who played. As @Woobie06 pointed out, any team can win on any given day. I'm curious if any of the forum members who rated my posts regarding the Surf A v. Surf C game "dumb" or "disagree" still feel the same way (@With Pace @junk @RS3 @SplitSoccerFamMom @fanofdl @GoPats @myself @3SoccerLadies)? Do you still think Surf A "let" Surf C win? Oh, and also congrats to the 06 ODP player pool - quite a few girls from Surf A, Surf B and one from Surf C (the one that scored the goal against Surf A, btw).

Back