NATIONAL CUP O6 2018

They dropped back the whole game. Great scheme. But, it’s a coaches plan.
Of course you disagree fanofdl. But it was there game plan. They went long or through to there forward the whole game with little support. I think I counted 6-7 shots the whole game.

They dropped back the whole game. Great scheme. But, it’s a coaches plan.

Blues always get a lot of stick for playing this way. But nobody talks about Legends and slammers doing the same thing. Even Surf 05B did the same thing today for their win.

For me it just shows a lack of technical ability, tactical understanding or lack of confidence from the coach in their players.

Yes it wins games. But are these teams doing it all year or just in a important game? I think that’s the more important question.

Of course you disagree fanofdl. But it was there game plan.
Blues always get a lot of stick for playing this way. But nobody talks about Legends and slammers doing the same thing. Even Surf 05B did the same thing today for their win.

For me it just shows a lack of technical ability, tactical understanding or lack of confidence from the coach in their players.

Yes it wins games. But are these teams doing it all year or just in a important game? I think that’s the more important question.
Agree I watched both games at the same time. Surf B also packed the back. It is effective but it is hard to watch. And as you said it gets results.

Of course you disagree fanofdl. But it was there game plan. They went long or through to there forward the whole game with little support. I think I counted 6-7 shots the whole game.

I was not at the game but watched these two play in showcase. Galaxy clearly dominated that game and won 3-0 (if I recall correctly).

Galaxy prob is the better team (possibly best of 4 left) but when you are going into semis of National Cup you play to your strengths. Playing Galaxy straight up would have been silly after that previous result.

Sounds like great coaching plan that worked. These four teams are clearly the best four and on any day anyone of them could beat the other (or tie and win in PKs). Credit Blues for the game plan.

I was not at the game but watched these two play in showcase. Galaxy clearly dominated that game and won 3-0 (if I recall correctly).

Galaxy prob is the better team (possibly best of 4 left) but when you are going into semis of National Cup you play to your strengths. Playing Galaxy straight up would have been silly after that previous result.

Sounds like great coaching plan that worked. These four teams are clearly the best four and on any day anyone of them could beat the other (or tie and win in PKs). Credit Blues for the game plan.
It was well executed. As I mentioned a coaches plan.

Their game plan was to play defense first, but if you paid close attention, you should’ve noticed that they dropped back completely in the last 15 minutes. At that point, they didn’t send anyone up except their striker. Prior to that, they did send girls up with the striker. Neither team has any good opportunities in the first half and lagsb had a few in the second for sure and definitely dominated possession.

At this point in the Season/National Cup the point is to win. Isn’t that the goal? Personally, if a coach can come up with a game plan or make adjustments that limits or takes away the other teams opportunities, and giving his/her team a chance to win I’m all for it.

You see it all the time in other sports, running the clock, holding possession, walking batters, etc. to limit the other teams chances.

For the kids who have worked hard all season, I think it is great the coach coached to win and had a plan.

I was not there, have no horse in the race, but at some point you just play to win when it really matters....like this situation...limit the other teams chances and throw “playing your game” out the window. Sometimes a teams style just does not match up well against an opponent, and “playing your game” will get you beat.

I’m sure the kids would rather be in the final, than going home knowing they “played the right way.” Just my opinion.

That Blues team doesn’t have the physical ball-winner/distributers in the middle to compete with Galaxy without packing the middle and double teaming them. They tried to play straight up in the 1-3 loss a few months back and it would’ve been a poor game plan to try that again. Not sure what their roster looks like for next year, but I think they will need to add a dominant player in the middle for the big field. Sometimes soccer isn’t pretty, but credit Blues for executing the game plan and winning, which is something they have been doing the entire year. Good luck to the final 2 tomorrow.

Being a parent of a daughter who was on the losing side of this game, it was very difficult to watch. As many have said, Blues stuck to their game plan and you definitely have to credit BH for putting a scheme together that proved effective. Galaxy has always been consistent in the style and game plan they play and being a very team oriented ‘every player is a threat’ system. Today was definitely the same but the Blues goalie is quite a beast on those small goals and punts (that is a compliment should anyone want to think I meant it some other way). It is hard to walk away from games like this where one team may have dominated possession and shots on goal and still lose. But, Blues stuck to their game plan and pulled out the win in the end. Congrats to the Blues girls and good luck tomorrow. May Blues and Surf girls have a wonderful battle and a safe game!

The Galaxy girls were already planning sleepovers on their rides to lunch after lots of tears. Oh to be 11 and 12 again!

That Blues team doesn’t have the physical ball-winner/distributers in the middle to compete with Galaxy without packing the middle and double teaming them. They tried to play straight up in the 1-3 loss a few months back and it would’ve been a poor game plan to try that again. Not sure what their roster looks like for next year, but I think they will need to add a dominant player in the middle for the big field. Sometimes soccer isn’t pretty, but credit Blues for executing the game plan and winning, which is something they have been doing the entire year. Good luck to the final 2 tomorrow.
With all due respect, teams must play different strategies against different opponents. It’s part of this game and every sport out there. For all the 4 teams, they all needed to play to their strengths and capitalize on any mistakes given by the other team. If the teams, only know how to play a singular manner, does that help them to understand tradeoffs and ways to capitalize in a thinking manner? I don’t know, just a thought.

I’m a Blues homer but believe you still have to execute besides simply beating up on weaker defenses for lopsided scores and saying you’re a good team that way. Go Blues!

At this point in the Season/National Cup the point is to win. Isn’t that the goal? Personally, if a coach can come up with a game plan or make adjustments that limits or takes away the other teams opportunities, and giving his/her team a chance to win I’m all for it.

You see it all the time in other sports, running the clock, holding possession, walking batters, etc. to limit the other teams chances.

For the kids who have worked hard all season, I think it is great the coach coached to win and had a plan.

I was not there, have no horse in the race, but at some point you just play to win when it really matters....like this situation...limit the other teams chances and throw “playing your game” out the window. Sometimes a teams style just does not match up well against an opponent, and “playing your game” will get you beat.

I’m sure the kids would rather be in the final, than going home knowing they “played the right way.” Just my opinion.

Interesting but I can tell you that the Galaxy girls are definitely upset that they lost. But, at this point in their development, the coaches, parents and players all were talking about the fact that they certainly did their best and played ‘good soccer’ (as was the girls entire discussion after the game and lunch). I certainly wouldnt say that Galaxy coaches didnt ‘play To win.’ I think they executed their game plan and today the goals just didnt go in. Even the refs were joking after the game about how they couldnt believe none of the Galaxy goals didnt go in. As many have said, with most of these girls, these small fields (and these appeared smaller than Silverlakes) and small goals make the margin for error / reward very small. Galaxy coaches made a lot of adjustments but they just couldnt put the ball in the net. Credit the Blues girls tenacity in defense and the Blues goalie.

Anybody who has played competitively or watched sports during their lifetime has witnessed, participated, or been a fan of a team that has beaten a stronger team or lost to a weaker team. It happens in all levels of sports. It is never fun to be on the losing side in this type of situation. It happened last night.....16 seed knocking off a 1.

The commentary on this thread seems to indicate that one team was dominating the other, but could not get the breakthrough and the “weaker” team won out. I don’t know the details and was not there but my DD’s team has played 3 of the 4 and they are the toughest around in SoCal right now.

I’m sure the girls who didn’t come out on top are upset, they worked hard all year to get to this point. I have no doubt both coaches coached to win. I don’t think anybody would expect anything less. I think part of developing (in sports and more importantly in life) is learning to recover from loses/setbacks, etc., and come back from it. That is what’s is so awesome about team sports. Losing really sucks.

Both teams played on the same field, same ball, and the same number of players, etc. Sounds fair to me.

That said different fields, conditions, surface, etc. could all impact the outcome. On another day it might have been different. That’s what makes sports fun and unpredictable. Why we watch, support, and enjoy.

It can be a roller coaster for the kids, parents, and coaches. Congrats to all the teams getting this far. Will be watching the live stream and looking forward to a good game. All the kids should be proud of their effort and to have gotten this far. They earned it. 38 other teams would have gladly taken any one of their places to get to the final four.

Being a parent of a daughter who was on the losing side of this game, it was very difficult to watch. As many have said, Blues stuck to their game plan and you definitely have to credit BH for putting a scheme together that proved effective. Galaxy has always been consistent in the style and game plan they play and being a very team oriented ‘every player is a threat’ system. Today was definitely the same but the Blues goalie is quite a beast on those small goals and punts (that is a compliment should anyone want to think I meant it some other way). It is hard to walk away from games like this where one team may have dominated possession and shots on goal and still lose. But, Blues stuck to their game plan and pulled out the win in the end. Congrats to the Blues girls and good luck tomorrow. May Blues and Surf girls have a wonderful battle and a safe game!

The Galaxy girls were already planning sleepovers on their rides to lunch after lots of tears. Oh to be 11 and 12 again!
Don't worry! All these girls are U littles as they say. Everything changes when puberty hits!

Back