NATIONAL CUP O5 2018

Are you serious? Define success at U12!

To put it into other terms.... if you paid for your daughter to go to a school that promised A+ grades at the U11 and U12 but you was uncertain of her development / progression / retention rate when it came to the college age, you would enroll your daughter into that program? I agree that results are rightly a priority in youth sports but they should NEVER compromise the development or process at this age!

If you believe that results outway development or process before U16+ then perhaps you should stop reading this forum and listening to uneducated opinions and start to listen to US Soccer, FIFA, the English FA, Spanish FA, German FA and any US or European Academy programs who have studied this sport alongside youth education.

I'm always so surprised and shocked by the time invested by parents into this sport and support they offer for their children, it's honestly truly remarkable!! Yet I'm more surprised at the lack of time that is spent educating and researching themselves on what is best for their children. None of us are experts in this sport or child education so why not read some articles, talk professionally to your coaches and educate yourselves further?

But then again, I guess a few of us did play the sport at college level, watch it on TV all the time, and almost went professional if it wasn't for that injury. So those guys obviously already know everything and therefore it's okay not to be open to education and other opinions.

Rant over....

Where do I start?

I personally never heard a coach say they will win Nat/State/Pres cup. Thats not in their pitch while recruiting. So if that coach has won 3 in a row i'm sure he can drop that on them. If he does say that to a potential player, at that point he isn't recruiting a tier 2 player he is going right into another clubs yard and trying to rip the best player he wants. As they say, to the victor go the spoils.

Who says they aren't developing? you? So Slammers must have got lucky playing and winning against all the developed clubs? Nobody is lucky that many times in one tournament. And coaches don't get lucky winning 3 out of 4 finals. So maybe there is something there.
So in your expert decision which team is developed then? All CB/AW teams are well coached. I haven't heard anyone say other wise. But in the end its about talent and getting that talent out of them. Sorry your kids team lost but her team needs to work harder. Learning how to win is developing too. When all things are equal its guts and grit.

Who are you to suggest that I do not read and do whats in the best interest of my kids? I don't talk to coaches. I pay coaches because they are good coaches. If i don't think they are doing a good job at making my DD a better player, developing and learning how to play then i'll move along. And don't act holier than thou either you participate in the same thing we all do or else you just come on here because you have nothing else to do. US soccer is thick in the middle of all of it.
And just so you know many of the parents here that you seem to think you have an edge on about how to raise their kids, they send their girls to college. You don't get them in college without preparing them to get into college. If you don't want to invest time into what your kid does thats on you. I spend just as much time with my other daughter who has zero LAX skills as i do my DD that plays soccer at a decent level. My advice to you from having older kids is to wake up. This ride stops real quick.

did you really play in college?

I don't care if it is a rec league flag football team for fat 50 year old. If you win then be happy.
Results are how you measure yourself. Everyone around the world in every sport keeps score. That part of playing sports. You learn how to win and figure out that losing sucks and you better work harder. Should parents lose their F ing minds at u8/10/12 14/16/18/ college? no thats stupid. Competitive kids know the score even at scrimmages. Show me a kid that doesn't keep score at practice scrimmages ill show you someone not long for completive sports.
So give Slammers their due.

You seem to be bothered by the forum so maybe its time to quit. You shouldn't have to subject yourself to former college players, soccer couch potato or hear about his war stories about his injury.

Congratulations to the Slammers for winning National Cup. They eliminated my daughters team during the tournament and dominated the game. Legit team that keeps doing it. Whether this is done via developing or recruiting, the coach is doing something right. Good luck to everyone next year.
Over the last six years many of these girls and teams have been competing against one another in league play, to tourneys, and too State/National Cup. That ended last weekend. Bummer. Movement will be greater with DA and ECNL now part of the mix. This continuity of players/teams/coaches will no longer exist.

Over the last six years many of these girls and teams have been competing against one another in league play, to tourneys, and too State/National Cup. That ended last weekend. Bummer. Movement will be greater with DA and ECNL now part of the mix. This continuity of players/teams/coaches will no longer exist.

Its kind of sad to see things going that direction, many girls from my DD`s team have already moved on. She has played and known many of them for years but with DA and ECNL each family has to decide whats best for them. Best of luck to all the girls and there future endeavors with club soccer. Lastman when you starting the DA 05 thread let the good times roll.

Its kind of sad to see things going that direction, many girls from my DD`s team have already moved on. She has played and known many of them for years but with DA and ECNL each family has to decide whats best for them. Best of luck to all the girls and there future endeavors with club soccer. Lastman when you starting the DA 05 thread let the good times roll.
June! Hopefully by then most teams will be good to go.

When last year was the first year for DA, all of the clubs had these MASSIVE tryouts.
Now that the 05s are coming to DA for the first time, I have not seen that happening. Seems that many DA teams have already decided upon 70% of their roster (carry over from last year) and will be taking a look at the remainder over the next month or so.

Where do I start?

I personally never heard a coach say they will win Nat/State/Pres cup. Thats not in their pitch while recruiting. So if that coach has won 3 in a row i'm sure he can drop that on them. If he does say that to a potential player, at that point he isn't recruiting a tier 2 player he is going right into another clubs yard and trying to rip the best player he wants. As they say, to the victor go the spoils.

Who says they aren't developing? you? So Slammers must have got lucky playing and winning against all the developed clubs? Nobody is lucky that many times in one tournament. And coaches don't get lucky winning 3 out of 4 finals. So maybe there is something there.
So in your expert decision which team is developed then? All CB/AW teams are well coached. I haven't heard anyone say other wise. But in the end its about talent and getting that talent out of them. Sorry your kids team lost but her team needs to work harder. Learning how to win is developing too. When all things are equal its guts and grit.

Who are you to suggest that I do not read and do whats in the best interest of my kids? I don't talk to coaches. I pay coaches because they are good coaches. If i don't think they are doing a good job at making my DD a better player, developing and learning how to play then i'll move along. And don't act holier than thou either you participate in the same thing we all do or else you just come on here because you have nothing else to do. US soccer is thick in the middle of all of it.
And just so you know many of the parents here that you seem to think you have an edge on about how to raise their kids, they send their girls to college. You don't get them in college without preparing them to get into college. If you don't want to invest time into what your kid does thats on you. I spend just as much time with my other daughter who has zero LAX skills as i do my DD that plays soccer at a decent level. My advice to you from having older kids is to wake up. This ride stops real quick.

did you really play in college?

I don't care if it is a rec league flag football team for fat 50 year old. If you win then be happy.
Results are how you measure yourself. Everyone around the world in every sport keeps score. That part of playing sports. You learn how to win and figure out that losing sucks and you better work harder. Should parents lose their F ing minds at u8/10/12 14/16/18/ college? no thats stupid. Competitive kids know the score even at scrimmages. Show me a kid that doesn't keep score at practice scrimmages ill show you someone not long for completive sports.
So give Slammers their due.

You seem to be bothered by the forum so maybe its time to quit. You shouldn't have to subject yourself to former college players, soccer couch potato or hear about his war stories about his injury.

Winning isn't the only way to measure development on a ULittle team. Most players that are playing in college or the pros don't the results of ULittle games. What they do remember is the love that they developed for the game at that age and the skills that they developed at that age. Winning is nice but IMHO what had the most impact upon the course of her soccer career at that age was developing her technical skill base. That is still serving her today going into her 3rd year of college soccer whereas few of the kids who played on National Cup winning sides at the ULittle ages (U12/13) are having a significant impact on their college teams. The same team won both titles plus two regional titles and the first ECNL U14 championship and were ranked #1 in the country by most sources for 4 straight years so they were an excellent team.

Honestly the best thing to do is to focus on your individual player. Team accolades are nice but colleges and the pros don't recruit teams they recruit players. Good luck to you and your player.

Winning isn't the only way to measure development on a ULittle team. Most players that are playing in college or the pros don't the results of ULittle games. What they do remember is the love that they developed for the game at that age and the skills that they developed at that age. Winning is nice but IMHO what had the most impact upon the course of her soccer career at that age was developing her technical skill base. That is still serving her today going into her 3rd year of college soccer whereas few of the kids who played on National Cup winning sides at the ULittle ages (U12/13) are having a significant impact on their college teams. The same team won both titles plus two regional titles and the first ECNL U14 championship and were ranked #1 in the country by most sources for 4 straight years so they were an excellent team.

Honestly the best thing to do is to focus on your individual player. Team accolades are nice but colleges and the pros don't recruit teams they recruit players. Good luck to you and your player.

i do not disagree. I only focus on my kid but i do appreciate the other people that are also in the sport. I appreciate if someone is a gritty player. She may not even play in two years but i enjoy them for what they bring today. When players are at the college age, as yours are, then all that matters is the college age. When they are little then that matters is at that age. At the end of the day there can only be one winner. There are plenty of great pro athletes that have not won championships. And to the opposite there are players that have won multiple championships being bench players. i personally do not give a hoot about the W and L the gent that tried to throw his BS on me is confused. However, in the world of any sport with talent being spread out evenly then a coach (the guys i was giving applause to) have reached the finals 4x in their division. And good for them. they put in the work. I do not know them on a personal level. Ive talked to each of them once. My daughter wasn't good enough for his team. So if i was a true homer id be mad at them but im not so I give them their due.
I do like most of your insights

Back