NATIONAL CUP O5 2018

[QUOTE="Brookfield 1-0 over Galaxy? Wow! That's unexpected. Any given Sunday (or Saturday in this case) I suppose. Anyone with the story behind this?

I will qualify my summary with the fact that I know very little about soccer tactics (not my game growing up).

This was not the best soccer game to watch...a lot of "kick ball" from both sides. Surf B let the center backs for South Bay dictate the flow of the game. This was the same approach that led to a 1-1 first half score in bracket play. A free kick was awarded to Surf just outside of the box before half (1-0). Galaxy had quite a few free kicks themselves (from similar spots) but were unable to put one in the back of the net. Surf B stayed with their defensive approach in the second half. I was surprised to see this strategy work on the big field. I assumed that eventually both the width and the length of the field would yield a goal to a very talented and skilled Galaxy team. I was also watching Blues Holley (06) use a similar approach on the small field and there was very little space to connect passes.

Anyhow a great run so far for Surf's 2nd team, scary game tomorrow for them :)[/QUOTE]
I'm rooting for a cinderella story!

Moving forward, Surf B prefers (appropriately at this point) to be called Surf A. :)

To be fair, they have had quite a few breaks go there way in this tournament. Including getting the last wildcard and a round of 16 game against Arsenal instead of their big sisters (Surf A).

Slammers AW advances. It's still early but CB coached that team all year. CB coached teams going for 3 peat. 4 Final in last 4 years. Maybe something to it

Its worth quoting my own quote. I put by accident on the 2006 page that Slammers was the sleeper pick. I got laughed at but i meant 05 Right church wrong pew. But congrats to Slammers. CB and AW CB teams 4 time finalist 3 peat. Bravo.....good to see AW healthy

Its worth quoting my own quote. I put by accident on the 2006 page that Slammers was the sleeper pick. I got laughed at but i meant 05 Right church wrong pew. But congrats to Slammers. CB and AW CB teams 4 time finalist 3 peat. Bravo.....good to see AW healthy

Congtulations to Slammers!

Would be interesting to see how many players from the orignal State Cup win survived the vigerous recruiting from CB and played in this championship?

funny. but hard to argue against success.
I know of at least 3 that have been with CB since U9. And that moved over from Blues 2 or 2 years ago. And 1 that was with CB, moved away for a few years and moved back to OC in the last year or so.

That isn’t a very high number of returning players if the goal is truly development. If you really want to talk about development LA Galaxy South Bay has 13 out of the 15 girls on the team that have been with Galaxy South Bay for over 3 years. Most of them started playing club at Galaxy South Bay at U9 and some of them from flight 2 teams at South Bay that were developed and promoted. The only two girls from outside the club were added this year when 3 of the players got moved up to the Academy (those 3 players also started their club experience at South Bay). There will always be turnover and some new players added, but if it’s the clubs’ job to develop players then I believe the numbers should look something like this.

That isn’t a very high number of returning players if the goal is truly development. If you really want to talk about development LA Galaxy South Bay has 13 out of the 15 girls on the team that have been with Galaxy South Bay for over 3 years. Most of them started playing club at Galaxy South Bay at U9 and some of them from flight 2 teams at South Bay that were developed and promoted. The only two girls from outside the club were added this year when 3 of the players got moved up to the Academy (those 3 players also started their club experience at South Bay). There will always be turnover and some new players added, but if it’s the clubs’ job to develop players then I believe the numbers should look something like this.
Could be more. I just personally know of those players.

I know of at least 3 that have been with CB since U9. And that moved over from Blues 2 or 2 years ago. And 1 that was with CB, moved away for a few years and moved back to OC in the last year or so.
many of AW slammer team from last year and CB striker team combined to form this new slammer team.

Will the girls that got moved to up to play 04 DA return in the summer to the 05 team with DA just a few months away?

To clarify further. Here is the breakdown of LAGSB players:
Three have been with the club for 6 years with 2 being promoted up from second team.
One for 5 years also being promoted up. Six for 4 years that came to the club from outside or via the merger with Exiles. And three of those were promoted up. Two for 3 years. One for 2 years and promoted up. And two for 1 year outside the club. The three that moved to DA here is their breakdown. One for 6 years, one for 4 years, and one for three. These last two also promoted upward.

Last edited:
Good info.

Three have been with the club for 6 years with 2 being promoted up from second team.
One for 5 years also being promoted up. Six for 4 years that came to the club from outside or via the merger with Exiles. And three of those were promoted up. Two for 3 years. One for 2 years and promoted up. And two for 1 year outside the club. The three that moved to DA here is their breakdown. One for 6 years, one for 4 years, and one for three. These last two also promoted upward.
Wow I am impressed. In addition to Development, shows a well thought out commitment to players and families.

Impressive. Glad I read this. We are winding down our 2nd year as a club and it is easy to get impatient. Stay with the process and continue to grow as a team and as individuals.

I’d say it also shows a commitment BY the families to buy in and stick around.

True. In an age of so many club hoppers who damage their DDs chances by always moving them from club to club. Soccer is a team sport and giving teams TIME is a massive component. It's your kid's experience/life, not yours. My fellow parents take note.

funny. but hard to argue against success.

Are you serious? Define success at U12!

To put it into other terms.... if you paid for your daughter to go to a school that promised A+ grades at the U11 and U12 but you was uncertain of her development / progression / retention rate when it came to the college age, you would enroll your daughter into that program? I agree that results are rightly a priority in youth sports but they should NEVER compromise the development or process at this age!

If you believe that results outway development or process before U16+ then perhaps you should stop reading this forum and listening to uneducated opinions and start to listen to US Soccer, FIFA, the English FA, Spanish FA, German FA and any US or European Academy programs who have studied this sport alongside youth education.

I'm always so surprised and shocked by the time invested by parents into this sport and support they offer for their children, it's honestly truly remarkable!! Yet I'm more surprised at the lack of time that is spent educating and researching themselves on what is best for their children. None of us are experts in this sport or child education so why not read some articles, talk professionally to your coaches and educate yourselves further?

But then again, I guess a few of us did play the sport at college level, watch it on TV all the time, and almost went professional if it wasn't for that injury. So those guys obviously already know everything and therefore it's okay not to be open to education and other opinions.

Rant over....

Back