Mega Clubs on the move

Dominic

DA
Staff member
What mega clubs seem to be expanding rapidly in SoCal?

For Girls...

ECNL clubs are stagante not gaining or losing purely from a number of players perspective. Before people get crazy I'm not saying clubs aren't good. They're just not getting bigger or smaller.

GA clubs are stagnate as well except CitySC and FRAM. CitySC has a very wide rec and competitive umbrella within North County SD and parts of Temecula to pull from. FRAM has several local ECNL clubs to pull from for talent. Since both are at the top of GA it becomes a choice. For FRAM players it becomes a choice of top of GA or not even in the finals in ECNL.

There's rumors that City might get a second GA team at each age group which would dramatically up the number of players. But who knows.

Personally I'd like to see Surf field a second ECNL team. Maybe this will happen with the rumored NWSL Academy that Surf + Wave are floating.

For Girls...

ECNL clubs are stagante not gaining or losing purely from a number of players perspective. Before people get crazy I'm not saying clubs aren't good. They're just not getting bigger or smaller.

GA clubs are stagnate as well except CitySC and FRAM. CitySC has a very wide rec and competitive umbrella within North County SD and parts of Temecula to pull from. FRAM has several local ECNL clubs to pull from for talent. Since both are at the top of GA it becomes a choice. For FRAM players it becomes a choice of top of GA or not even in the finals in ECNL.

There's rumors that City might get a second GA team at each age group which would dramatically up the number of players. But who knows.

Personally I'd like to see Surf field a second ECNL team. Maybe this will happen with the rumored NWSL Academy that Surf + Wave are floating.
FRAM may be relatively close to Beach and a moderate distance from Breakers, however they are not pulling talent from those programs. Rather attracting the players that didn’t make those teams or in the immediate area.

Last edited:
Boy side I wouldn't say either rapidly expanding or mega club but The Bulls and LASC have both gotten stronger on the boys side from the expansion of MLS Next. LAUFA joined the Albion machine, but my guess is that was probably more about the state of the LAUFA org than Albion.

For Girls...

Minimal inside info here, but I’d bet a large amount of money that this will happen. It’s just a matter of when.

FRAM has several local ECNL clubs to pull from for talent. Since both are at the top of GA it becomes a choice. For FRAM players it becomes a choice of top of GA or not even in the finals in ECNL.
Current Fram GA standings (out of 9 teams)
2011 - 5th
2010 - 2nd (this is Ole team, not locally sourced)
2009 - 9th
2008 - 3rd
2007 - 6th
2006 - 6th

Last season Beach ECNL was one of few clubs in country that had all age groups (top 3 out of 9) qualify for playoffs. Beach ECNL is the first choice in the area.

Current Fram GA standings (out of 9 teams)
2011 - 5th
2010 - 2nd (this is Ole team, not locally sourced)
2009 - 9th
2008 - 3rd
2007 - 6th
2006 - 6th

Last season Beach ECNL was one of few clubs in country that had all age groups (top 3 out of 9) qualify for playoffs. Beach ECNL is the first choice in the area.
The question was which clubs are "on the move" or getting bigger.

Beach joined ECNL in 2021 after playing in Girls Development Academy.

FRAM joined GA in 2022 after they were a top DPL club..

Both clubs appear to be pushing to play in the best league available to them which in theory translates to growing the club.

If you don't think Fram would take on Beach players and vice versa you'd be wrong. I know of Surf players that chose to play at Sharks. I also know of Pats players that skipped Blues to do so. Everyone has their own reasons.

The fact that Fram exists closely to Beach will make it difficult for both clubs to bring on players. There's only so many players in a specific geography, now they're split into two different clubs.

Both clubs appear to be pushing to play in the best league available to them which in theory translates to growing the club.

If you don't think Fram would take on Beach players and vice versa you'd be wrong. I know of Surf players that chose to play at Sharks. I also know of Pats players that skipped Blues to do so. Everyone has their own reasons.

The fact that Fram exists closely to Beach will make it difficult for both clubs to bring on players. There's only so many players in a specific geography, now they're split into two different clubs.
One Surf Player choose to play for Sharks. Underline ONE.

Do you even know anybody personally at Fram or Beach? I doubt it cause if you did you would stop spewing nonsense. I live in the area, my kids have tried out/play for both clubs and I have friends/former teammate families at both clubs. Talk about City SC and SD all you want. But don't spread inaccurate info about areas you do not know about.

Do you even know anybody personally at Fram or Beach? I doubt it cause if you did you would stop spewing nonsense. I live in the area, my kids have tried out/play for both clubs and I have friends/former teammate families at both clubs. Talk about City SC and SD all you want. But don't spread inaccurate info about areas you do not know about.
Let me ask you a question...

Before Fram received GA did Beach have more or less ECNL, ECRL, and Socal, etc teams?

It's not hard to figure out that when there's more than one club fighting for talent in a specific area that each club will have less players overall.

Before Fram received GA did Beach have more or less ECNL, ECRL, and Socal, etc teams?

It's not hard to figure out that when there's more than one club fighting for talent in a specific area that each club will have less players overall.
You're conflating the topic of Beach/Fram competing for the top players. There is no competition...the top players in the area go to Beach ECNL. Just like how the top players in SD go to SD Surf ECNL. The competition in our area is between Beach ECRL, Fram GA and Breakers ECNL. There you will see families deciding on which is the better option for them.

Beach and FRAM never competed for the same talent. One good reason logistics. Two coaching. Three facilities. I too live in the area and know the squads. Especially, now that LA Galaxy SB/LAG is defunct for the last 4-5 years. FRAM is no longer third choice locally. It is second in the South Bay, but has not faired better if Breakers have been added. In fact you can ask Mizzy what he thinks.
BTW-Beach had their probationary period with ECNL post DA folding where they had to compete in ECRL which was not that great. And all this prior to FRAM being admitted into GA. In fact FRAM led by MM petitioned LAG to let him take over their DA teams and with their support try to become an ECNL club, however they declined.

Last edited:
I too live in the area and know the squads.
Any insights as to the boys’ side? We moved to the area but I’m still commuting my boys to their old teams in OC. I like the coaches, I like the kids and I like the parents, and that’s not nothing, but I’m thinking I might look locally for next season if I can find a good fit.

My 2010 is currently RL, my 2011, Tier 2. Beach, FRAM, Steel and TFA have all been on my radar as possibles purely based on being nearby, but any extra insight would be welcome.

Any insights as to the boys’ side? We moved to the area but I’m still commuting my boys to their old teams in OC. I like the coaches, I like the kids and I like the parents, and that’s not nothing, but I’m thinking I might look locally for next season if I can find a good fit.

My 2010 is currently RL, my 2011, Tier 2. Beach, FRAM, Steel and TFA have all been on my radar as possibles purely based on being nearby, but any extra insight would be welcome.
The top top boys in south bay area get recruited to LA Galaxy or LAFC MLS academies. Beach and Breakers ECNL is the next level. And then other Beach, Fram, Steel and Sand & Surf filling out from there. Wilmington Jrs and Culver City are good boys clubs for youngers (U12 and younger).

If you and your kids are happy. Stay. One persons experience is not everyone’s. On the boys side in the SB. Steel is not what it use to be. I knew the group that created it. They have all left. Except K. Gallagher he’s solid. Not the same club now. FRAM I know the coaches by reputation it just depends. However, I am familiar with Kyle Holland and he’s okay. TFA is weird. They have great players that come and leave. Then coaches. Training sites questionable. Beach in the SB. Big club. Lots of coaches. Find your fit is the best thing to do. Though at Beach I like for the boys T. Osborne, Vincent P, and D. McCarthy.

Last edited:
If you and your kids are happy. Stay. One persons experience is not everyone’s. On the boys side in the SB. Steel is not what it use to be. I knew the group that created it. They have all left. Except K. Gallagher he’s solid. Not the same club now. FRAM I know the coaches by reputation it just depends. However, I am familiar with Kyle Holland and he’s okay. TFA is weird. They have great players that come and leave. Then coaches. Training sites questionable. Beach in the SB. Big club. Lots of coaches. Find your fit is the best thing to do. Though at Beach I like for the boys T. Osborne, Vincent P, and D. McCarthy.
Great feedback… though I’m happy where we are, the commute is the issue. Kids have had to do homework in the car sometimes, which isn’t idea.

You're conflating the topic of Beach/Fram competing for the top players. There is no competition...the top players in the area go to Beach ECNL. Just like how the top players in SD go to SD Surf ECNL. The competition in our area is between Beach ECRL, Fram GA and Breakers ECNL. There you will see families deciding on which is the better option for them.
Beach is tops in South Bay currently, no doubt. But in the last 3 years, FRAM has added DPL for the girls, then the next year GA, and then the following year EA for the boys. That's what I would call being on the move, and growing. As a wise mentor told me three decades ago, "get yourself into a small but growing company....that's where opportunities are. If you've stopped growing, you're dying." And FRAM is doing an excellent job of managing all that growth, which is far more difficult than it would seem. Having said that, it all comes down to the coach for any one family's specific situation, and so just ask around as much as you can.

Great feedback… though I’m happy where we are, the commute is the issue. Kids have had to do homework in the car sometimes, which isn’t idea.
We drive our oldest DD from the SouthBay to OC after DA folded to an ECNL club. It’s definitely a commitment.

Last edited:
Back