Man City Cup

Blues was and is the team to beat right now. He play the long ball to pin you in and put your defense under pressure. They are physical, athletic and have talented girls. I, in no way want to take that away from them.
How can you possibly say that when Anaheim Surf just went undefeated in the Newport-Mesa Cup last weekend? :)

Hung around to watch this game after as we were waiting for our DS game. Yes, the Blues had guests as they always do and yes they still play kickball. When you play kickball the small field size helps, but what happens when the 06's go to bigger fields next year and they will need to play REAL soccer? Not this longball junk they are only known for. You can only get by for so long on that...and slamming into players. Holly & Rennie need to teach those girls what real technical soccer is, not sure they even know, sad.

Have you ever watched this team warm up before a game? if not pay attention next time you play or see them and you will see what I mean.... just saying classic Holly/Rennie

Have you ever watched this team warm up before a game? if not pay attention next time you play or see them and you will see what I mean.... just saying classic Holly/Rennie
I saw them warm up twice at Man City. They stretch, do a light jog, do short touches between two players (one-touch back and forth, volleys back and forth, chest traps, etc...all maybe 3-4 yards from each other), then do long passes between two players (probably 20 yards from each other). After that, at one game they did passing in a space with two players trying to take the ball away, and in the other warm up they got into three lines at the half with their striker set-up at the top of the box....three at a time they pass, attack and shoot with no defense (except the goalie), with the first or second pass going to the striker. During warm-ups for the Surf semi-final, as Blues were doing the long pass portion of the warm-up and as Surf was doing short passing and movement, the Surf coach said to one of his parents on the sideline something along the lines of "indicative of the game that will be played" and laughed. I was also told he said to Holley during the first half of the game something along the lines of "you are playing horrible soccer", but not sure if that was before or after Blues were up 1 or 2 goals.

Can you please give a little more info on this? genuinely curious now.

Girls have to warm themselves up 20 mins before the game, while the coaches walk up with no care in the world. Not just this team but every Holley and Rennie team I have ever seen. There's no teaching with these teams. It's use what you got and win games. You can tell a lot about a team by the way they prepare for a match.

Girls have to warm themselves up 20 mins before the game, while the coaches walk up with no care in the world. Not just this team but every Holley and Rennie team I have ever seen. There's no teaching with these teams. It's use what you got and win games. You can tell a lot about a team by the way they prepare for a match.
The girls get there an hour before gametime and start to warm-up about 40-45 minutes before a game unless they already had a game that day or if it is extremely hot. And I actually like them taking the responsibility to get together and do the first part of warm-up by themselves. If you think there is no teaching going on, then you aren't paying close enough attention or simply want to hate. While they do have to run to another game sometimes, it is not uncommon for these coaches to spend 15-20-30 minutes after each game talking about the game, what the girls did well, what they did poorly and what they should be thinking about for the next game. Trust me, I have had to wait around for them to get done when I wanted to get somewhere else. It is also not uncommon for the coaches to give 1 or 2 very specific directions before a game about what they want to see the girls execute and then coach them on those specific points during and after the game. All of my comments are not opinion, these are facts that I see all the time from both coaches. I would also suggest that if you are only spending the time immediately before a match preparing for it, you probably aren't very prepared. Preparation also comes from practice and these girls work their butts off during practice.

The girls get there an hour before gametime and start to warm-up about 40-45 minutes before a game unless they already had a game that day or if it is extremely hot. And I actually like them taking the responsibility to get together and do the first part of warm-up by themselves. If you think there is no teaching going on, then you aren't paying close enough attention or simply want to hate. While they do have to run to another game sometimes, it is not uncommon for these coaches to spend 15-20-30 minutes after each game talking about the game, what the girls did well, what they did poorly and what they should be thinking about for the next game. Trust me, I have had to wait around for them to get done when I wanted to get somewhere else. It is also not uncommon for the coaches to give 1 or 2 very specific directions before a game about what they want to see the girls execute and then coach them on those specific points during and after the game. All of my comments are not opinion, these are facts that I see all the time from both coaches. I would also suggest that if you are only spending the time immediately before a match preparing for it, you probably aren't very prepared. Preparation also comes from practice and these girls work their butts off during practice.

You drinking to much Blues Kool-Aid, if you think these coaches are developing the girls the right way

You drinking to much Blues Kool-Aid, if you think these coaches are developing the girls the right way
. Hmmm. I prefer a cold beer to Kool-Aid. I could argue that all coaches have their positives and negatives, but know it is pointless to try to change anyone's mind here. I have no issue with you disliking any coach or his/her coaching style. I'm just pointing out that your post is factually incorrect and seems to be more likely based upon some bias. I'm glad you found a coach for your daughter that you like and wish her nothing but success.

How can you possibly say that when Anaheim Surf just went undefeated in the Newport-Mesa Cup last weekend? :)
Based upon their showing in Illinois this weekend, I'd expect AS to still be able to make some noise this year. Bottom of that field was pretty weak, but top few teams were very good, including some from Texas.

Based upon their showing in Illinois this weekend, I'd expect AS to still be able to make some noise this year. Bottom of that field was pretty weak, but top few teams were very good, including some from Texas.

Helps when you borrow 3-4 studs. Lets see how they do in the season and State cup

Helps when you borrow 3-4 studs. Lets see how they do in the season and State cup
They really had 3-4 guests, or are you just speculating? With so much anger directed towards them recently, surprised to hear 3-4 parents of "studs" would make a decision to travel to Illinois to guest with them for a long weekend. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised.

They really had 3-4 guests, or are you just speculating? With so much anger directed towards them recently, surprised to hear 3-4 parents of "studs" would make a decision to travel to Illinois to guest with them for a long weekend. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised.
I'd say it's just speculation based on the fact they did lose several players from last year and they were advertising for players just a few weeks ago. However, it does seem very plausible.

I'd say it's just speculation based on the fact they did lose several players from last year and they were advertising for players just a few weeks ago. However, it does seem very plausible.

They have 7 returning players and 1 new one the rest were borrowed. They do still have the amazing center mid but lost 6 players from the State Cup team.

. Hmmm. I prefer a cold beer to Kool-Aid. I could argue that all coaches have their positives and negatives, but know it is pointless to try to change anyone's mind here. I have no issue with you disliking any coach or his/her coaching style. I'm just pointing out that your post is factually incorrect and seems to be more likely based upon some bias. I'm glad you found a coach for your daughter that you like and wish her nothing but success.
I agree with you OCsoccerMANiac , my DD practiced and guested with those 2 coaches and came home from each practice saying, when are we going to learn soccer? It is just 2-3 super easy drills and then scrimmage, scrimmage, scrimmage. Nothing tactical, nothing to make them understand the flow of the game the way it should be played. Just pound the ball up to the top and run into people as hard as you can. BH does not demonstrate difficult soccer moves because she never played from what I have heard.

Interesting observations all...Blues play a very direct game and have the fillies (and rather tall ones at that) to play that game - its classic Blues soccer. Whether you respect that style of play or not, they will be one of if not THE team to beat all year long. Our girls have had the pleasure of playing both Surf and Blues in the past month - Surf played a beautiful possession game against us and I was ultimately impressed with them. At the end of the day, direct approach with extreme size and power (and a great keeper) will often negate beautiful possession play as it did at Manchester City. Can't wait to see the results of surf cup and how the rest of the season develops.

Back