Horrible sportsmanship from CDA slammers-G09 Metcalf

This coach does not know what the definition of sportsmanship/FairPlay is. Our team played the last game of group play at 10:10. The moment our game ended our coach asked Metcalf for a break and he refused. The finals match was scheduled at 11:15. It was horrible for the tournament “Cerritos premier cup” to schedule the final this close to each other. But ultimately the tournament asked Metcalf if it was ok with him to give our girls an hour break. He declined,
And stated him and his team had
Plans already. This coach is a total dooch bag. He Puts winning over the girls safety. These girls are only 8-9
Years old, not to mention playing in 90 degree weather with no rest. To top it all off we are from the same club WHAT A WAY FOR LOOKING OUT FOR ONE ANOTHER. Yes I give a lot of blame to Cerritos United soccer club, for even giving Metcalf the option to allow us the rest. But at the end Metcalf had the last word! And he refused. Great coach!

I can understand being upset at the tourney for a tight schedule but being mad at the other team doesn’t make sense to me. They knew the schedule and played it the way it was published. They have no obligation to change because the other team wants to. Everyone knew going in what the deal was.

I’d be mad at the tournament for scheduling things so tight.
If I’m a parent on that team and I’m there for a game- I expect that we start on time. And end about on time. I don’t want to sit around for almost 2 hours before the game starts (arrive 45 minutes early for the scheduled time only to be told you are starting an hour later).

Reason #8,745,546 while the US National team massively underachieves in soccer. I agree with your points 100% Junebug. Coaches and Parents who care SIGNIFICANTLY more about "U9 Championships" than player development, safety, and common sense fair play.
It's all good. Just expect the absolute worst from US Youth Soccer and you won't be disappointed. It's all about the $$.

This coach does not know what the definition of sportsmanship/FairPlay is. Our team played the last game of group play at 10:10. The moment our game ended our coach asked Metcalf for a break and he refused. The finals match was scheduled at 11:15. It was horrible for the tournament “Cerritos premier cup” to schedule the final this close to each other. But ultimately the tournament asked Metcalf if it was ok with him to give our girls an hour break. He declined,
Plans already. This coach is a total dooch bag. He Puts winning over the girls safety. These girls are only 8-9
Years old, not to mention playing in 90 degree weather with no rest. To top it all off we are from the same club WHAT A WAY FOR LOOKING OUT FOR ONE ANOTHER. Yes I give a lot of blame to Cerritos United soccer club, for even giving Metcalf the option to allow us the rest. But at the end Metcalf had the last word! And he refused. Great coach!

This tourny was a joke gu9 field was tiny, u10 play 7v7 and the tourny did not play with build out lines and allowed punting . Goes against everything our players have been working on. Also rules state 6 team division will play own bracket plus 1 cross play game and bracket winners play in finals. They decided to only cross play and most points get to finals. The two teams who met in the finals had very easy route only playing one competitive game before the finals. Will not be attending this tourny in the future.

Wasn’t this schedule posted well before your team made the final? The appropriate time to make a beef was before play started. Nobody wants to sit around. Can’t blame the other day. Blame the tourney.

Sure, it sounds unsportsmanlike from OP's perspective, but that's actually the perspective of the side that wants to bend the rules. If there was a published schedule, then I don't see what the problem is. The parents from the other team all planned their day based on the published schedule. Maybe some of them need to go pick up an older sister at another tournament and need to leave immediately after the game. I know parents from our team often juggle between two different tournament sites.

..... Will not be attending this tourny in the future.

Crappy job with schedules by the tournament. You are absolutely correct to not play in any tournament that you feel is not well run or cannot put together a proper schedule.

It's definitely fault of the tournament organizers. Even if this coach would agree to play later, he probably would have given you 30 more minutes for a longer break. To be honest, I don't think 30 more minutes of 1 hour would have made a difference. These girls are too young to play 2 games in a day in the middle of the summer.

I don't understand why SoCAL is so fixated on these summer tournaments. You gain nothing by having young kids play 2 games a day in 90+ degree weather. I am in the minority on this one but the bulk of the tournaments are just useless. At this age, just have a scrimmage (1 per day).

It's definitely fault of the tournament organizers. Even if this coach would agree to play later, he probably would have given you 30 more minutes for a longer break. To be honest, I don't think 30 more minutes of 1 hour would have made a difference. These girls are too young to play 2 games in a day in the middle of the summer.

I don't understand why SoCAL is so fixated on these summer tournaments. You gain nothing by having young kids play 2 games a day in 90+ degree weather. I am in the minority on this one but the bulk of the tournaments are just useless. At this age, just have a scrimmage (1 per day).

Agreed. But there are a lot of trophy chasers, especially in the lower ranks and it helps a lot of those naive parents swallow the $3000 soccer bill. That post of Johnny or Sally with the medal and holding the trophy on facebook is worth $500 to many parents. A few wins, and the blind sheep are happy.

Summer tourneys are the worst. There’s no development. There are no college coaches. The quality is all over the place. They exist in part so that coaches can get a paid vacation on the parents. They also serve in the “we attend yours, you attend ours” Mode between clubs.

One big scam.

Yes, crazy how over-rated these summer tournaments are. We paid $700 for 7v7 with no build out lines, 20 minute halves, one official in charge (no AR's) at a local tournament this year. For three games. One game was competitive, others not at the level. Too many tournaments to get even quality of teams, much rather have 1 game Saturday, 1 game Sunday or even a 3-way round robin at one field, than this.

I would let Cal South now of the lack of rest time. If it is a Cal South sanctioned tournament I believe one of the rules to be sanctioned is there has to be some rest between games.

Tournaments fault. An extra 30 mins or 1hr wouldnt have allowed kids to achieve any real recovery - especially when it comes to glycogen levels. Good reason why pros play with a minimum of 3 days rest. At least a few hours will allow some recovery but the extra hour wouldnt have helped much. This shouldnt happen at paid, organized tournaments.

Not sure what the penalty would be to the tournament for not following the rule but under CalSouth Manual for Tournament Operations Section VI-6-C states:

"Minimum rest between games shall be equivalent to the length of two games for that age group. Back-to-back “mini-games” shall not exceed the length of a regulation game, as modified by Cal South rules, for the age group playing the games."

With all due respect, we're talking about 8~9 yrs old kids right?

Has the social norm changed so much that we all don't believe kids that age run around all day - hot or cold?

Two 20 minute halves? So 40 minutes total with at least 5 minutes half time, right? With subs, since everyone plays at this age, the whole thread is that the other team didn't want to give a break more than an hour between two games?

Such anger and really unnecessary tone by OP. "This coach is a total dooch bag. He Puts winning over the girls safety. These girls are only 8-9 Years old, not to mention playing in 90 degree weather with no rest." There was a break but you clearly felt it wasn't long enough from your perspective. You can always hold your kid out of the next game. You as a parent need to make that call.

All I'm saying is that are we being over protective and making a big deal of nothing? There WILL BE worse things that will happen in your youth soccer journey if you continue so lets keep it real....

Back