Horrible sportsmanship from CDA slammers-G09 Metcalf

Sounds to me you might be a parent from Metcalf team. Or affiliated with CDA whittier. My point in all this, was Metcalf was given the choice to allow our girls to rest for 1 hour and he refused. He Put aside fairplay, and put winning a u-10 tournament as his priority. And yes he’s a douche bag!

I have on multiple occasions (not always) turned down the request for water breaks water breaks during games if I felt they weren't necessary for my team. It Doesn't mean I'm inconsiderate of players safety or anything of the sorts.. It means If I feel my team doesn't need a water break and or is well prepared to play the game without one that's my choice to make and my responsibilty to look out for the kids That I coach. Same as it is for the team were playing against. If players need breaks or a sub that's part of coaching those situations. If it gives us an advantage then great cause that's what we prepare and train for. Having better endurance and longer stamina is an advantage we hope to gain over every team we play. That's one of the big goals we work toward. The safety or well being of the other teams players are the responsibilty of the their coaches, managers, parents,Referees, clubs, organizations and hosting tournament or gaming circuit. The opposing coach is literally on the bottom of that list. God forbid If something would've happened to any kids on your team due to exhaustion or anything close it certainly wouldn't have been the other coaches fault. Really ???? What sense does that make. Don't get it twisted, Doesn't mean I don't care or sypathize or whatever it's just the facts Mam, the other coach isn't the guy responsible for the things your claiming he should be or should've been.

And BTW for the record Metcalf is a long time Firefighter and his wife a long time school teacher. Hardly the crowd to forgo children's safety. Lol.

I have on multiple occasions (not always) turned down the request for water breaks water breaks during games if I felt they weren't necessary for my team. It Doesn't mean I'm inconsiderate of players safety or anything of the sorts.. It means If I feel my team doesn't need a water break and or is well prepared to play the game without one that's my choice to make and my responsibilty to look out for the kids That I coach. Same as it is for the team were playing against. If players need breaks or a sub that's part of coaching those situations. If it gives us an advantage then great cause that's what we prepare and train for. Having better endurance and longer stamina is an advantage we hope to gain over every team we play. That's one of the big goals we work toward. The safety or well being of the other teams players are the responsibilty of the their coaches, managers, parents,Referees, clubs, organizations and hosting tournament or gaming circuit. The opposing coach is literally on the bottom of that list. God forbid If something would've happened to any kids on your team due to exhaustion or anything close it certainly wouldn't have been the other coaches fault. Really ???? What sense does that make. Don't get it twisted, Doesn't mean I don't care or sypathize or whatever it's just the facts Mam, the other coach isn't the guy responsible for the things your claiming he should be or should've been.

And BTW for the record Metcalf is a long time Firefighter and his wife a long time school teacher. Hardly the crowd to forgo children's safety. Lol.

You had me right up until you suggested that the Metcalfs care about kids simply because he is a firefighter and she a school teacher.

Hey Primetime, we all agree that this is all the tournaments' fault. This should have never been posted on this board ( I hate it when people start publicly accusing others on blog sites).

However, to say no to a longer break to a bunch of 8-9 year girls, that's just wrong! Especially if the coach is a Fireman and/or a Teacher. I could care less of either team but Primetime just burned his own coach by mistake.

You're taking this way to serious for what 8yr old girls, take a step back and have a heart instead of being happy about a advantage grinding down some very young players.

Your post comes across as somebody that cares about winning more than anything else, shame because this is why players get discouraged.

Our DD loved playing GU9 because it was fun and she was happy for all the players W,L,D & continued all the way through HS playing well so lighten up and have a heart next time.

Primetime.... I understand the desire to win but come on.

To the OP, there have been a bunch of great suggestions on where the blame could have gone and most of it wasn't directed at the other coach. No one knows what else was going on with that team, and to have them wait could be just as bad of an issue if the coach had another game to get to. There are a wide range of options that were available to your team. Maybe your coach could have asked for water breaks.

In the end, it was your team's choice to play the game when you could have easily walked away if safety was that big of a concern.

No vested interest in Slammers, but I really don't see what Metcalf from CDA-Slammers G2009 did wrong in this instance. Was it amazingly generous? no. But his actions (or non actions) fall far short of dragging his name through the mud on a public Internet forum and stinks of sour grapes.

This forum can be great, but also really toxic and that's a shame.

Back