Girls Development Academy

I don't consider my DD an elite player. IMO, she is a solid player who is quick, aggressive, hard working, solid technical skills and very coachable. She is NOT a freak of nature athlete. What got her on the map was making the ODP Region IV team for 2 years and getting 2 ODP National camp invites. She never got a YNT camp invite though.

I knew when my DD would train 2.5-3.5 additional hours a week outside of her club practices and games. I knew there were many girls who didn't put in the extra work. I like to call this the compounding effect. Also when she didn't make the final 18 player roster for ge Cal-South ODP team. She worked her tail off the next 1 1/2 years to finally make the team.

If I had to do it all over again. I would have moved my DD to Blues at U9 instead of at U12. I would focused less on chasing a winning team at ulittles and instead on a team where she was having fun, starting and playing a lot of minutes. I would say at U15 it is important to olay against top teams. The game is faster and more physical. My DD has played for a few coaches, so what she benefited from is learning different styles of play from possession, kick and run (her least favorite, to defending and counter attacking soccer. I would highly suggest making sure your DD is a 2 way player (playe offense and defense) and knows multiple postions.

Yes, that is pretty normal if girls don't like each other on a team. Top players play with an edge that other regular players don't. Now if your DD doesn't like the team and the coach. Then it's best to discuss as a family if it's better to move to another team where it could be a better fit. As for girls getting hurt, usually the coach will address it, because the last thing he wants is for his players to get hurt at practice.
Thanks for sharing this. BIG Ups to your dd

Please see post #1465 above. I can tell you that in my daughter's age group the team that won the U16 ECNL championships won the USYS championship that same year with mostly subs and "B" team players. They didn't compete the next year as it was a strain on the players and coaches and the exposure was significantly lower than at the ECNL showcases and championships.

Let's come at it from a different angle. There were only two players that played for non-ECNL teams in my daughter's graduating class that had a significant impact on a top 25 team this season and about a dozen from ECNL teams. There are several that played and had an impact just not on a top team.
You know your DD's age group, I know mine. At the 2015 USYS National Championships in Tulsa, TopHat was not yet an ECNL club, they become ECNL right after that and kept the same roster. They were playing all their starters including their NT team player that our NT player knew. I am also very familiar with what was then (before the age/year thing) the 99/2000 Surf ECNL team when we played them at Surf Cup, they were also playing their starters. It may have been different if that team had CM and the other 99's that were playing on the 98/99 ECNL team. The politics and coaching issues (like CC cussing at them and threatening them during half time at Albion Cup) at Surf didn't do that team any favors. One more problem with letting one organization have a monopoly. The fact that Surf does not currently have a 99 ECNL team kind of proves my point. I do not think GDA will solve everything, but I do think it has solved some problems locally.

So you are saying that North Korea can put together a team that beats our NT, but Southern California couldn't put a team together that would be competitive (which is the adjective I used)?

I noticed that there are probably 10-12ish parents who post frequently with dds almost done with club and transitioning into college ball.

1. What are things that you did to help your dd along to become "elite" players? Or what did they accomplish at U-X to be sought as
potential elite players? Like a checklist.

2. How did you know beyond parental loving eyes that your child was going beyond most parent's expectations?
How did you know that your child was an "exceptional player"?

3. If your dd can be U12 again, what would you do differently or the same? What are the most important things to focus on
until U-14? Beyond U-14? Please list mistakes you or your dd made and how your dd recovered from it.

4. Bonus question if it happened to your dd: If your dd dislikes 1-2 players and they equally dislike your dd where they go extra hard
to thump each other during practice and scrimmages, is this pretty normal for hyper-competitive players? Should I tell my dd to
calm down or just let nature take its course? I am afraid my dd will hurt the girl since she is way bigger and stronger than her.

Thanks!

And MOST of all, make your DD learn to play with BOTH feet. There are an abundance of players (including college players), who can't trap, dribble, pass and shoot (my DD still can't shoot) with their weak foot. They become more dangerous, if they can attack going left and right instead of their strong side.

I noticed that there are probably 10-12ish parents who post frequently with dds almost done with club and transitioning into college ball.

1. What are things that you did to help your dd along to become "elite" players? Or what did they accomplish at U-X to be sought as
potential elite players? Like a checklist.

2. How did you know beyond parental loving eyes that your child was going beyond most parent's expectations?
How did you know that your child was an "exceptional player"?

3. If your dd can be U12 again, what would you do differently or the same? What are the most important things to focus on
until U-14? Beyond U-14? Please list mistakes you or your dd made and how your dd recovered from it.

4. Bonus question if it happened to your dd: If your dd dislikes 1-2 players and they equally dislike your dd where they go extra hard
to thump each other during practice and scrimmages, is this pretty normal for hyper-competitive players? Should I tell my dd to
calm down or just let nature take its course? I am afraid my dd will hurt the girl since she is way bigger and stronger than her.

Thanks!
1. I was totally clueless at first. Back then she was usually the fastest player on the field and she loved the game. When I told her she needed to work on her ball skills since she wouldn't always be the fastest, she started juggling more and asked for private lessons. It was actually one of the team parents that told me she needed to be on a better team. A couple of years later we were again looking around at teams and after one practice with her current team she said "I love this team." She lucked into a team with very little drama and players that care for one another (and cool parents as a bonus).

2. I don't know that she is exceptional, but she is a great team player that will play anywhere on the field with positive results. She is lucky enough to be "ambi-footerous" and can shoot, trap and pass with either foot.

3. At U12, I wish she had had the opportunity to play more futsal. The futsal she did helped her foot skills a lot. Some people don't think it matters, but I think juggling has helped a lot. Injury prevention training is good to start at this age.

4. She has been on teams with players that did not like her, but rarely would they get physical with her at practice. Like I said, she lucked out finding a team where all the girls get along and those issues went away. If the situation with your DD's teammates is effecting game play repeatedly (won't pass to her or bad attitude), it is time to move on.

Best of luck to you and your DD. This whole club soccer team is crazy, but we have met wonderful people and learned a lot along the way. As a bonus, our kids are not couch potatoes! I would personally recommend you get a video camera and video the games. PM me for details if you are interested.

Uh....are you sure?
Uh, yes. Absolutely positive...

Silverlakes College Showcase 2016
27 Nov 16 WEST COAST FC ECNL COMPOSITE (U19) 1 - 0 38.74
26 Nov 16 SLAMMERS FC ECNL (U19) 4 - 0
arrow_up.png
25 Nov 16 SC DEL SOL ECNL (U19) 1 - 1 40.57

Uh, yes. Absolutely positive...

Silverlakes College Showcase 2016
27 Nov 16 WEST COAST FC ECNL COMPOSITE (U19) 1 - 0 38.74
26 Nov 16 SLAMMERS FC ECNL (U19) 4 - 0
arrow_up.png
25 Nov 16 SC DEL SOL ECNL (U19) 1 - 1 40.57
You truely don't know the 98/99 age group....I know LBSoccer and her DD. I believe when she posted it was the Slammers composite team players. I would also trust KidGretsky, because he also knows the top players in the 98/99 age group. You do NOT!

I already asked a parent who's DD plays on the Slammers ECNL 98/99 team, if they played at SilverLakes and they reply was. They didn't!

You truely don't know the 98/99 age group....I know LBSoccer and her DD. I believe when she posted it was the Slammers composite team players. I would also trust KidGretsky, because he also knows the top players in the 98/99 age group. You do NOT!

I already asked a parent who's DD plays on the Slammers ECNL 98/99 team, if they played at SilverLakes and they reply was. They didn't!

We played in that tournament and that slammers team was not the normal ECNL team it was a composite of some top u17 and u18 players helping out the uncommitted girls from some of their other squads.

We played in that tournament and that slammers team was not the normal ECNL team it was a composite of some top u17 and u18 players helping out the uncommitted girls from some of their other squads.
That is exactly what my buddy on the Slammers team told me. The Slammers team was using the ECNL moniker to attract college coaches for their uncommitted players.

The fact that Surf does not currently have a 99 ECNL team kind of proves my point.
Ahhh, no. The reason Surf doesn't have a 99 ECNL team is that ECNL merged the 98 and 99 birth years this year. There are no 99 ECNL teams, just U17, then U18/19.
Nice try though.

I spoke to Walid earlier this year. He confirmed (and I noticed) that he left all of his committed girls home when we played them. Filled the roster with younger and B team players.

Ahhh, no. The reason Surf doesn't have a 99 ECNL team is that ECNL merged the 98 and 99 birth years this year. There are no 99 ECNL teams, just U17, then U18/19.
Nice try though.
Thanks, I didn't know that ECNL was not having 99 teams this year. That does not change the history of the 99/00 team that would have become the 99 team with the age year change however. I do think that Surf has made many positive changes in the past couple of years. The new DOC seems to be doing good things.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but looks like your DDs team didn't wax older ECNL teams after all.

Heck, I remeber when Hodges wanted his flagship 99's to be featured in his college showcase as the sole, "fri night lights" game vs Rennie/Bobaks 99's.....Cali's 99s got waxed all over chino as they got beat down 3-0 (or something like that)....Tads girls never got invite back (what a coinkidink)o_O

Back