Girls Development Academy

I hope they are smarter than that. Carlsbad is too far north to be an option for most SD County players. They would compete with Surf and the South OC families. If it's about money, than Carlsbad should be in. There are no good San Diego clubs for girls right now other than Surf, thanks to Surf.

Too far? As compared to which other San Diego option currently?

As for legends and Carlsbad not doing anything before ECNL,..you are saying only ECNL clubs should get Academy? There are plenty of shit ECNL clubs one of which who received Academy status.

Haven't Carlsbad and Legends both won USYS National Titles? Haven't they both placed girls in the National Team? Isn't that part of the criteria?

Too far? As compared to which other San Diego option currently?

As for legends and Carlsbad not doing anything before ECNL,..you are saying only ECNL clubs should get Academy? There are plenty of shit ECNL clubs one of which who received Academy status.

Haven't Carlsbad and Legends both won USYS National Titles? Haven't they both placed girls in the National Team? Isn't that part of the criteria?

I like Carlsbad. Their b teams are better than Surf B teams. That means something. There are no SD options but there could be if US soccer helped develope one. Albion can't be helped.

If that is true I am curious as to why. Neither of those clubs did anything prior to ECNL. This is such a sham it isn't even funny.

No disrespect to any of the players for either club. They do have some talented players in both clubs.

The criteria doesn't go back 6+ years. But you're wrong on Legends, they won championships before ECNL. The criteria is quality of the staff, facilities, players on the national team, pro players, etc.

I believe MakeAPlay was questioning, if Beach FC or Legends would have won multiple USYS National Championships if the ECNL clubs still participate? The poster has a valid point. We can look at TopHat who played ECNL this past season and previously dominated USYS National League like Beach FC and Legends have done. Tophat performed well in their ECNL conference, but when playoffs rolled around. NOT a single Tophat team finished on top of their Champions League bracket in San Diego. You know the cliche, big fish in a small pond.

Last edited:
I believe MakeAPlay was questioning, would have Beach FC and Legends won multiple USYS National Championships if the ECNL clubs still participate? The poster has a valid point. We can look at TopHat who played ECNL thus past season and previously dominated USYS National League. Tophat performed well in their conference play, but when playoffs rolled around not one of their teams made the ECNL Final 4 this weekend.

They didn't dominate in the Girls U15 bracket last year at the USYS National Championship. Their U15 team that became their U16 ECNL team didn't make it out of pool play, and didn't win a single match.

They didn't dominate in the Girls U15 bracket last year at the USYS National Championship. Their U15 team that became their U16 ECNL team didn't make it out of pool play, and didn't win a single match.
Didn't that Tophat team qualified for National League? Are you saying, National League is actually watered down and the competition isn't really that good afterall?

Wrap your mind around this. The ECNL clubs have reshuffled their teams As purely 98/99, 00, 01, etc. Why didn't Legends break up your DDs team? Why not merged the 99 players on your DDs team including your DD with the U19 98/99 team. Instead the 99s on your DDs team are playing U18, when the 99s on her team should have been reshuffled and playing against their U19 98/99 peers this fall.

Tell me, why didn't Legends reshuffle the team, like the other ECNL clubs?

Last edited:
No, I am directly refuting your assertion that Tophat "dominated" the USYS competition, and then didn't do much in the ECNL playoffs. I am saying that the Tophat U16 ECNL side couldn't get out of pool play in the U15 USYS National Championships. I am saying that that ECNL side didn't win a match against the non-ECNL competition, and one can only assume that since they didn't perform well in the non-ECNL National Championships, they figured they would join the ECNL, where they might have a better chance of success.

No, I am directly refuting your assertion that Tophat "dominated" the USYS competition, and then didn't do much in the ECNL playoffs. I am saying that the Tophat U16 ECNL side couldn't get out of pool play in the U15 USYS National Championships. I am saying that that ECNL side didn't win a match against the non-ECNL competition, and one can only assume that since they didn't perform well in the non-ECNL National Championships, they figured they would join the ECNL, where they might have a better chance of success.
Do you actually believe what you write? Ha! TopHat joined ECNL purely for the college exposure, just like Legends has applied for ECNL the last 8 years. Even the MOST dominant U16 SoCal Blues team couldn't finish on top of their ECNL playoff bracket.

Last edited:
Wrap your mind around this. The ECNL clubs have reshuffled their teams As purely 98/99, 00, 01, etc. Why didn't Legends break up your DDs team? Why not merged the 99 players on your DDs team with the U19 98/99 team. Instead the 99s on your DDs team is playing U18, when the 99s on her team should have been reshuffled and playing against their U19 peers this fall.

Tell me, why didn't Legends reshuffle the team? If I'm not mistake your DD is a 99er, she should he playing U19 even though she is a 2018 HS grad.

Change the subject much? There are many reasons to keep the team together. Chemistry, friendships, and the opportunity to win as many National Championships as possible.

Change the subject much? There are many reasons to keep the team together. Chemistry, friendships, and the opportunity to win as many National Championships as possible.

Weak excuse, Legends should be doing what is best for the girls. Isn't that the philosophy for Girls DA? Allowing girls to compete among the best in their peer group or even playing up? Kind of the opposite, if you ask me. Don't kid yourself, if Legends got ECNL this Fall....they would have reshuffled your DDs team.

Your 2 Pac12 commits D.A., B.D. and the other 1999 2017 commits on your DDs team should be playing against their peers in the GU19 99/98 age group. I would bet their parents would love to see their DDs play against their U19 2017 college commit peers in the U19 age group. You should insist your DDs team play U19 tournaments/showcases, what is there to worry about? Except, play against the BEST U19 ECNL teams.

Last edited:
Also if the dominance fades then why did Slammers win the U18 title? .

I would venture to say that some of their fiercest competitors either opted out of the playoffs or played in USYSA nationals. Not to diminish the team...they are awesome and were able to bring back some of their D-1 players.

I believe MakeAPlay was questioning, if Beach FC or Legends would have won multiple USYS National Championships if the ECNL clubs still participate? The poster has a valid point. We can look at TopHat who played ECNL this past season and previously dominated USYS National League like Beach FC and Legends have done. Tophat performed well in their ECNL conference, but when playoffs rolled around. NOT a single Tophat team finished on top of their Champions League bracket in San Diego. You know the cliche, big fish in a small pond.

Impossible to answer. I think now that the teams are on level ground, this question will have its answer shortly. I will reserve my personal opinion as I suspect it may make your blood pressure rise.

I would venture to say that some of their fiercest competitors either opted out of the playoffs or played in USYSA nationals. Not to diminish the team...they are awesome and were able to bring back some of their D-1 players.

They also added the WCFC forward from SDSU (now at usc) who scored in the final. That didn't hurt, great pick up.

Impossible to answer. I think now that the teams are on level ground, this question will have its answer shortly. I will reserve my personal opinion as I suspect it may make your blood pressure rise.
Doesn't matter to me, if Legends gets DA. My DD will have aged out when the fall of 2017 rolls around.

Last edited:
Mirage, I have been hearing rumors that US Soccer will be releasing more SoCal Girls DA clubs for the Fall of 2017. As you posted, there will need to be additional SoCal DA clubs in order to keep league travel costs down. I highly doubt the clubs can absorb free training fees and free travel costs for NorCal and Northwest league games.

I guess my belief is why would the girls side be different than the boys side. Boys DA teams go up and down the west coast for games. Often the cost of travel is shared between the club and the player family. And not all DA programs are free. Many are paid to play. I expect the girls side to be the same....

I guess my belief is why would the girls side be different than the boys side. Boys DA teams go up and down the west coast for games. Often the cost of travel is shared between the club and the player family. And not all DA programs are free. Many are paid to play. I expect the girls side to be the same....

I know when I hear BS, especially when posters type that US Soccer DA players will be fully subsidized. I already know it's not fully subsidize on the Boys side, except for the most part the DA MLS franchise teams.

If SoCal girls DA teams are required to travel to Norcal and the Northwest for league games (not college showcases). Then ECNL had a better conference format by allowing SoCal teams to play locally. They knew SoCal has the deepest talent pool in the nation and only traveled once a year to play Las Vegas and Phoenix teams.

Last edited:
Back