Girls Development Academy

Not wanting to hijack their recruiting thread within this forum, but it seems clear that the south bay only needed one DA club (if DA was intended to aggregate and develop elite talent). US Soccer could not help themselves when the MLS club showed up late to the party and offered full funding.

In my ideal world, US Soccer would limit the number of DA programs to half the current horde, promote/support areas having both a DA and ECNL option, allow the DA clubs/teams to play friendlies with local/regional competition outside of their DA tournaments (like the YNTs do when they train), and the adults would have gotten along. Create a situation that might reward creativity and innovaton.

Not wanting to hijack their recruiting thread within this forum, but it seems clear that the south bay only needed one DA club (if DA was intended to aggregate and develop elite talent). US Soccer could not help themselves when the MLS club showed up late to the party and offered full funding.

In my ideal world, US Soccer would limit the number of DA programs to half the current horde, promote/support areas having both a DA and ECNL option, allow the DA clubs/teams to play friendlies with local/regional competition outside of their DA tournaments (like the YNTs do when they train), and the adults would have gotten along. Create a situation that might reward creativity and innovaton.

Well, that would make a lot of sense and be in the best interest of the players and families. We can't have that going on...

I recognize that you think half the DA teams/clubs should be cut, but why are you so specific on the South Bay? Legitimately curious.

I recognize that you think half the DA teams/clubs should be cut, but why are you so specific on the South Bay? Legitimately curious.

The thread I was referring to was an inquiry by the LA Galaxy, a new South Bay DA club, seeking additional players. Hence my focus on that market,

However, I base my opinon on twelve years of watching girls youth soccer in the South Bay. In a very good year, in any given age group, 3-5 elite players can be found on a SBF/Exiles (now SB Galaxy) roster, perhaps 4-6 at Beach (not always on the same team), and maybe 1-3 at Fram. Add another 4-6 who commute to OC clubs (historically Blues or Slammers), and a few random others, and you have the makings of one very good DA team full of mostly South Bay players. That is just the way it is -- we could get into a long discusson on why there is not more talent, but that is for another thread. If the DA is trying to produce YNT players, that is the pool they should work with.

So you know, I would argue OC only needs 2 DA clubs using the same analysis, San Diego 2 as well, the Inland Empire one, the Pasadena/LA Market market one, and Thousand Oaks/Camarillo one. You end up with a Socal DA bracket of 8. If the DA clubs focused solely on that program (and the related DPL/DA2 teams) and did not have dual DA/ECNL programs, you could also have around 8 solid ECNL only clubs covering those same markets, offering a very good soccer alternative. One ECNL club would be in the Suuth Bay.

The thread I was referring to was an inquiry by the LA Galaxy, a new South Bay DA club, seeking additional players. Hence my focus on that market,

However, I base my opinon on twelve years of watching girls youth soccer in the South Bay. In a very good year, in any given age group, 3-5 elite players can be found on a SBF/Exiles (now SB Galaxy) roster, perhaps 4-6 at Beach (not always on the same team), and maybe 1-3 at Fram. Add another 4-6 who commute to OC clubs (historically Blues or Slammers), and a few random others, and you have the makings of one very good DA team full of mostly South Bay players. That is just the way it is -- we could get into a long discusson on why there is not more talent, but that is for another thread. If the DA is trying to produce YNT players, that is the pool they should work with.

So you know, I would argue OC only needs 2 DA clubs using the same analysis, San Diego 2 as well, the Inland Empire one, the Pasadena/LA Market market one, and Thousand Oaks/Camarillo one. You end up with a Socal DA bracket of 8. If the DA clubs focused solely on that program (and the related DPL/DA2 teams) and did not have dual DA/ECNL programs, you could also have around 8 solid ECNL only clubs covering those same markets, offering a very good soccer alternative. One ECNL club would be in the Suuth Bay.

Stop putting it so eloquently....

That sounds all well and good but the reality is that would involve a lot of driving for practice and games. You could say the same for all high school sports, pick the elite players from each high school for whatever sport you choose, combine them into one or two local schools and voila, you have an elite team. The elite players in all sports will be the ones to move on to the college level and/or pro level no need to stress over who is elite or who isn't, which team will win the big one, who will win CIF, ECNL, be the top DA team, win Nationals, etc. etc. etc. etc.

That sounds all well and good but the reality is that would involve a lot of driving for practice and games. You could say the same for all high school sports, pick the elite players from each high school for whatever sport you choose, combine them into one or two local schools and voila, you have an elite team. The elite players in all sports will be the ones to move on to the college level and/or pro level no need to stress over who is elite or who isn't, which team will win the big one, who will win CIF, ECNL, be the top DA team, win Nationals, etc. etc. etc. etc.

Participating in sports at an elite level (and the DA is supposed to be elite) has always involved a lot of driving/commuting, and sometimes even family or child re-location. We are more fortunate than most here in Socal. It is unrealistic and perhaps even oxymoronic to think you can create an elite development system that is convenient for everyone, without also diluting the talent and creating a system less effective at achieving your goals. If US Soccer worked with other leagues and sanctioning organizations (and vice versa), they could help insure there are great youth soccer options, including ECNL and other leagues, in areas with more difficult/limited access to DA clubs.

I am not talking about all-star teams. If it serves some greater purpose to subject an ever increasing number of youth players to a system that prohibits HS play, limits games for all and playing time for non-starters through the substitution rules, and is closed to outside competition, all for a primary purpose of producing 3-4 future national team players per age group, that greater purpose is lost on me. I think such a system should be for a very limited group of clubs/players at the top of a more inclusive and coordinated pyramid, one that provides options, allows for more creativity, and expands its reach and player base through cooperation, not control.

This is an excellent interview of Anson Dorrance. He touches on the GDA, ECNL, college soccer and international soccer. Very insightful. Notice what he says about college soccer and it's value in the 18-22 age band globally.

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club-soccer-articles/ask-a-coach:-uncs-anson-dorrance_aid42067

Except Mal Pugh. I am glad he said what he did and even more happy that they aren't pushing these minor leagues onto the girls. I don't want this training Into baseball where they graduate high school and spend two years at a minor league or JC to "live the dream".

Except Mal Pugh. I am glad he said what he did and even more happy that they aren't pushing these minor leagues onto the girls. I don't want this training Into baseball where they graduate high school and spend two years at a minor league or JC to "live the dream".

I agree. Mal Pugh is a purple unicorn. The funny thing is my player thinks that Fleming is a tougher player to mark and she chose to remain in school even though her national team coach wants her to go pro too.

This is an excellent interview of Anson Dorrance. He touches on the GDA, ECNL, college soccer and international soccer. Very insightful. Notice what he says about college soccer and it's value in the 18-22 age band globally.

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club-soccer-articles/ask-a-coach:-uncs-anson-dorrance_aid42067
Great article. I have a similar feeling about substitutions in youth soccer as Anson but had not realized the effect it has on minimizing the birth month anomaly. I probably disagree with him however about substitutions in the college game. Unlimited substitutions in the college game allow his 90 minute high pressure style of play which tends to be very direct. I believe this style of play at the college level does not prepare players for the international game. College players are adults. While I agree that college soccer is currently is the best soccer development option for most 18-22 year old women, that will decrease over time as women's professional leagues around the world get larger and play by FIFA rules. NCAA soccer and FIFA soccer are two different games.

I also found it interesting that he says the pool of "very good" soccer players is larger than in the past.

The pool of very good soccer players is larger purely by the fact there are more and more girls playing club soccer.
He also mentioned that he thinks coaching has gotten better.
Maybe not to the Euro or South America level, but I bet 15-20 years ago, a female soccer player became "good" by genetics and a bit of luck. Speed, aggressiveness and strength. I bet that most 15 year old girls today have more soccer "Skill" than many USWNT players had in 1999.
Coaching isn't perfect and there are some bad ones out there. But most coach are actually teaching a bit of soccer/futbol these days around the US.

The pool of very good soccer players is larger purely by the fact there are more and more girls playing club soccer.
Which would have been a good reason for ECNL to admit more clubs, but they missed that boat and now we are stuck with two competing, closed systems.

May have posted this in the wrong thread, sorry for the duplicate:
upload_2017-7-17_11-8-2.png

Looks like for girls are required to have 32 players minimum for the combined age group teams (similar to boys DA), but for separate age groupings, it is unclear. Is this saying that for U14 and U15 you need to have 32 minimum on each team? Or 32 between U15 and U14? Does that mean you could have 13 players on U14 and 19 players on U15 and you would meet the requirement?

Rosters need to meet the minimum by August 18th at 5:00 pm CST. No DPs allowed until October 2nd.

https://ussoccer.app.box.com/s/6pblyk29e2y8gup4qns1nm6i2yv2yilf

What are the substitution rules for Girls DA?

I came across this in the girls da application. What does for example seven subs across three opportunities mean?

Substitution rules: no re
-entry; seven substitutions across three “opportunities” for U
-14/15;
five substitutions across three “opportunities” for U
-16/17 and U-
18/19

Back