G08 State Cup President's Bracket

GU9 "blind draw" SC 2005 placed the top 3 teams in pool play together, and the top 2 made it to the final game. Coincidence?

Blues with coach Mary ended up winning the final.

Last edited:
There's no strategy to lose, because don't you think a win would have benefitted us a little more, "douchebag". I would think finishing top in AB is better than WC1. Duh! Not rocket science.!
Just looked at the results...pretty sure Copa is correct and they would've been significantly better off winning the game. It doesn't make sense that the coach would throw the game. Sorry supermodel56, but it seems like you are way off on this one.

Ahh, the ladder would have helped us, 2 teams from A/B. Not sure how that works to have the 2nd team from AB play the 2nd wildcard rather than winner of C and winner of D getting a WC or second place team. WC #2 is the spot to play for. View attachment 588
I think this is a lot about nothing, I posted the ladder last week and the ladder has not changed. I don't necessarily agree with the ladder (C and D winners deserve a WC over 2nd of AB for example) but CalSouth was consistent this week with the original ladder, WC#1 was always to play Winner of E.

I think this is a lot about nothing, I posted the ladder last week and the ladder has not changed. I don't necessarily agree with the ladder (C and D winners deserve a WC over 2nd of AB for example) but CalSouth was consistent this week with the original ladder, WC#1 was always to play Winner of E.

WC#1 was never set to play winner of E, or we wouldn't be discussing this. CalSouth flat out changed it to what they "feel" is better (and told our TM exactly that). AND, they are not consistent across all age groups. I just feel rules and brackets are set and should remain as such. The kids really wanted a rematch and if CalSouth didn't meddle with this age group, they would have got it, as others did. Nothing like a good old rematch, you know. You don't care because it didn't affect your matchups. Nothing we can do about it, but I had to call CS out as I've been around a long time and they are consistently acting like the Gestapo. Anyway, the girls are ready to fight and do their best whatever team they face, as I'm sure all the kids are. So, more important...Travel safe everyone and make season end as positive as possible, regardless of results. Cheers!

WC#1 was never set to play winner of E, or we wouldn't be discussing this. CalSouth flat out changed it to what they "feel" is better (and told our TM exactly that). AND, they are not consistent across all age groups. I just feel rules and brackets are set and should remain as such. The kids really wanted a rematch and if CalSouth didn't meddle with this age group, they would have got it, as others did. Nothing like a good old rematch, you know. You don't care because it didn't affect your matchups. Nothing we can do about it, but I had to call CS out as I've been around a long time and they are consistently acting like the Gestapo. Anyway, the girls are ready to fight and do their best whatever team they face, as I'm sure all the kids are. So, more important...Travel safe everyone and make season end as positive as possible, regardless of results. Cheers!
Copa, calm down. They did post a ladder that stated "WC#1 vs. Winner of E" because I sent an email to get their explanation on why "Winner of C played Winner of D" instead of Second of AB or a WC. I posted the attached ladder up above in this string of messages on Jan 25th.
ladder125.png

Copa, calm down. They did post a ladder that stated "WC#1 vs. Winner of E" because I sent an email to get their explanation on why "Winner of C played Winner of D" instead of Second of AB or a WC. I posted the attached ladder up above in this string of messages on Jan 25th.
View attachment 610

Ah, so you were the catalyst. Well, I must not have refreshed the screen and looked close enough to notice the change because it didn't say this originally. And, it would have been a better explanation from CalSouth, other than "we don't want two teams playing each other again in knockout rounds that just played in bracket play." Nonsense.

IMG_0286.PNG
Ah, so you were the catalyst. Well, I must not have refreshed the screen and looked close enough to notice the change because it didn't say this originally. And, it would have been a better explanation from CalSouth, other than "we don't want two teams playing each other again in knockout rounds that just played in bracket play." Nonsense.
No, I was not a catalyst as they didn't make any changes, this is the same ladder they originally posted weeks ago. I asked for an explanation for why the winners of C and D would play each other rather than a wildcard and their response was consistent with what they are telling you this week. They did not want the 2 "winners" of AB to meet again until the finals. The farce is that there were not 2 winners of AB but a first and second place and not meeting again until the finals is dumb. Giving the second team of AB the #3 seed is flawed. The ladder was flawed originally but at least they were consistent. See CalSouth's email attached:

View attachment 612
No, I was not a catalyst as they didn't make any changes, this is the same ladder they originally posted weeks ago. I asked for an explanation for why the winners of C and D would play each other rather than a wildcard and their response was consistent with what they are telling you this week. They did not want the 2 "winners" of AB to meet again until the finals. The farce is that there were not 2 winners of AB but a first and second place and not meeting again until the finals is dumb. Giving the second team of AB the #3 seed is flawed. The ladder was flawed originally but at least they were consistent. See CalSouth's email attached:
All I know is that all teams that are left are great teams and we'll coached it's going to be a great weekend no matter which teams move on all these girls are talented and so much fun to watch.

View attachment 612

One of two things should have happened, CS should not have had a 6 team bracket and divided into 2, 3 team brackets, like other age groups and avoided the conflic. Even better, they should not have allowed teams into Presidents division that got blown out and weren't even capable to compete given that there are two other divisions more suitable. Getting blown out in first round should not happen in Presidents. Then, there would not have been the need for a 6 team bracket to cause this nonsense. It's all about the dollar. Period. Nothing about the kids.

One of two things should have happened, CS should not have had a 6 team bracket and divided into 2, 3 team brackets, like other age groups and avoided the conflic. Even better, they should not have allowed teams into Presidents division that got blown out and weren't even capable to compete given that there are two other divisions more suitable. Getting blown out in first round should not happen in Presidents. Then, there would not have been the need for a 6 team bracket to cause this nonsense. It's all about the dollar. Period. Nothing about the kids.

Why do you disagree Tango? Teams that had 13 and 21 goals against and no goals for, might have better been served in Governors. It's not a ding, it just shows that CalSouth cares about nothing but money, not what makes for a truly good tournament or what's good for the kids, or about balanced bracketing. I just feel that there should be a better understanding from the higher ups. They should have a better understanding of who should be in each tier and not just collect $checks.

Why do you disagree Tango? Teams that had 13 and 21 goals against and no goals for, might have better been served in Governors. It's not a ding, it just shows that CalSouth cares about nothing but money, not what makes for a truly good tournament or what's good for the kids, or about balanced bracketing. I just feel that there should be a better understanding from the higher ups. They should have a better understanding of who should be in each tier and not just collect $checks.

Calsouth is not who decides where a team is placed in State Cup. This decision lies strictly with the coach of the team. Once again, this is the decision of the Coach. The only time Calsouth will interfere is if a team trys to play at a lower level than they should (level 1/Gold) trying to play in say Governors instead of Presidents(nationals later on) with a winning record. Now there are teams/coaches who like the challenge of better competition. Now, with that said, I'm sure there are a few teams out of the 37 that are playing Governors that could thrive and compete in Presidents, but either their Coach a. wants something easier to compete in b. Easier to win c. wants to pad their resume for the team as winning/going far in a state cup d. Honestly has a weaker team. E. players left team. F. Any number of reasons etc etc. My point is to blame Calsouth for other teams being "weak competition" or "money hungry" is asinine. There will always be some teams better than others. Just like ANY TEAM CAN LOSE ANY GIVEN DAY.
This is club soccer. Competitive Soccer. I'm a coach and a parent. You win some, you lose some. Those that can handle this statement, congratulations. Those that can't, try rec. But even Rec, same competitive juices get going.

Calsouth is not who decides where a team is placed in State Cup. This decision lies strictly with the coach of the team. Once again, this is the decision of the Coach. The only time Calsouth will interfere is if a team trys to play at a lower level than they should (level 1/Gold) trying to play in say Governors instead of Presidents(nationals later on) with a winning record. Now there are teams/coaches who like the challenge of better competition. Now, with that said, I'm sure there are a few teams out of the 37 that are playing Governors that could thrive and compete in Presidents, but either their Coach a. wants something easier to compete in b. Easier to win c. wants to pad their resume for the team as winning/going far in a state cup d. Honestly has a weaker team. E. players left team. F. Any number of reasons etc etc. My point is to blame Calsouth for other teams being "weak competition" or "money hungry" is asinine. There will always be some teams better than others. Just like ANY TEAM CAN LOSE ANY GIVEN DAY.
This is club soccer. Competitive Soccer. I'm a coach and a parent. You win some, you lose some. Those that can handle this statement, congratulations. Those that can't, try rec. But even Rec, same competitive juices get going.

Then CalSouth should keep their trap shut about trying to make a "balanced and better tournament" then, if what you say is true. It's not hard to look at scores and there are people like Carlsbad10 and LastPlanet (for older ages) that spend a huge amount of time tracking teams and do a real time and pretty accurate job of ranking teams. And don't lecture me about "any given day". Did you read what I posted?? I gave all the credit to the winning team and said myself, it is what is. Part of the game. But don't tell me that CalSouth can't figure a way to better lay out the brackets. In other tourneys, they will bump teams down to balance so that they don't have these stupid scenarios with 6 teams in one bracket and 4 in others. It creates problems and they know it. They have these problems because they take in as many teams that wish to pay for whatever...presidents, governor, mayor. By your theory, it's even worse. Then CalSouth are simply check collectors and it's all on the coach. Now that is asinine.

You misunderstood me. My intent was that ultimately it is on the Coach. In other tournaments, teams are at the mercy of the CLUB running said tournaments, not CALSOUTH. State cup is the only tournament they are in charge of. Now, why I agree they shouldn't have switched the wildcards and let those teams have a rematch, they should include language stating "balanced and better tournament". And consistent in ALL DIVISIONS. if what I read that they let other ages have rematches and not the 08's, then yes I would be pissed too. Lecturing? It's not that serious. More like informing. These forums were created for that, not all these petty arguments lots of parents are having. I take the info I need and rest really looks to be entertainment.

Back