Essential Economics for Politicians

US trade deficit surges to 10-year high in Dec. vs est of $57.3B
  • The trade deficit between the U.S. and its global partners was $59.8 billion in December and $621 billion for the entire year.
  • That increase comes despite the Trump administration's efforts to lower the imbalance through a series of tariffs implemented through the year.
The goods deficit came to $891.3 billion for the year, the highest on record.

The trade deficit with China in December was $38.7 billion, by far the most of any nation. The next highest was the European Union at $15.8 billion and Mexico at $8.8 billion.

Adjusted for inflation, the goods trade deficit rose $10 billion to a record $91.6 billion in December and likely will weigh on the final calculations for gross domestic product. The first estimate for fourth-quarter GDP was 2.6 percent.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/06/us-trade-deficit-surges-to-59point8b-in-dec-vs-est-of-57point3b.html

Can't imagine how this happened with the Grifter Don the Con Trump as President. It's a good thing that as Izzy says we are not in a Trade War with China because if we were we would be getting slaughtered. Izzy your hero Trump is really fucking up with those tariffs.
I thought you were all for the trade deficit?

I thought you were all for the trade deficit?
For or against, it’s a very impressive stat. All that talk about China kicking our ass and he’s really giving them the store, isn’t he? Do you think he owes them money, too? We haven’t seen his tax returns so we don’t know who he owes, do we?
But we’ve seen his test scores and grades, right? Wait, we haven’t?
What is he hiding with all this?

For or against, it’s a very impressive stat. All that talk about China kicking our ass and he’s really giving them the store, isn’t he? Do you think he owes them money, too? We haven’t seen his tax returns so we don’t know who he owes, do we?
But we’ve seen his test scores and grades, right? Wait, we haven’t?
What is he hiding with all this?

He is hiding the real Donald Trump.

Between the value increase on my houses, the deductibility of my mortgage and the 8% or so I make on the money that I use every month to pay the mortgage with, how much am I ahead by purchasing these assets with an amortized loan? As opposed to something else I could have done with those down payments.
I just mean my residences, not the house I use for Airbnb.
Or if I didn't have the down payments, like say...you, I'd pay my landlord's mortgage for him every month. You're an ekonomikle jeanious!

Which " Girlfriend " are you using today....The Righty or The Lefty .....

Right. Can’t do, much less know, ROA and ROE equations on the contents of their safety deposit boxes. All the while lauding the merits of collateralized debt.
Why don’t we compare economic growth under Clinton and Obama administrations with Bush and Trump administrations? It’s like comparing me vs. you! Dems know far more how it’s done. You talk, we do.

Back