ECNL post season stucture '22-'23

Good luck to all the ECRL teams playing this weekend. For the West, it's 8 teams from the Southwest with 2 pools of 4 teams. I believe both winners of their respective pools go to the ECRL National Championship.

Also pool play for the ECNL 2010s came out and the Socal teams looks like they all got good draws. For the most part, looks like they used the seeding which included showcase games vs the qualifier which was only conference games. Surf is with the Dallas Texans and that should be a good match. Koge and Penn Fusion should be a fun match as well. I wouldn't be surprised if at least 3 of the Socal teams make it out of pool play. Based on the Soccer Ranking app, 5 of the 6 Socal teams are the highest ranked team in their group. Should be some fun matches to see how we match up against the rest of the competition.

Good luck to all the ECRL teams playing this weekend. For the West, it's 8 teams from the Southwest with 2 pools of 4 teams. I believe both winners of their respective pools go to the ECRL National Championship.

Also pool play for the ECNL 2010s came out and the Socal teams looks like they all got good draws. For the most part, looks like they used the seeding which included showcase games vs the qualifier which was only conference games. Surf is with the Dallas Texans and that should be a good match. Koge and Penn Fusion should be a fun match as well. I wouldn't be surprised if at least 3 of the Socal teams make it out of pool play. Based on the Soccer Ranking app, 5 of the 6 Socal teams are the highest ranked team in their group. Should be some fun matches to see how we match up against the rest of the competition.

There are also 4 ECRL teams from the Northwest Conference and 4 from NorCal Conference that will be in the West Playoff Brackets for some age groups. Two Brackets of 8 teams. The two finalist will go to Finals next month and play against the other regions two top teams.

There are also 4 ECRL teams from the Northwest Conference and 4 from NorCal Conference that will be in the West Playoff Brackets for some age groups. Two Brackets of 8 teams. The two finalist will go to Finals next month and play against the other regions two top teams.

Sorry I think I thought I was in the 2010 forum so was only referring to that group. Good luck to the rest of the SW teams in the rest of the age groups.

Historically, conference winners take the top seeds. Assuming this, the top 10 seeds will go to conference winners by pts/game - IIRC pts/game NOT including showcases. The Champions League Standing includes showcases. So, you can't necessarily use those to determine the order of the Top 10. It's even possible that a 2nd place conference team is above a conference winner in the Champions League Standings if there is a difference in the Showcase results. You'd have to go back to each Conference, find the winner, and use their conference record pts/game to determine the top 10 seeds. For the remaining "wildcards", they used the Champion's League Standing pts/game, which includes the Showcases. I never saw this in writing but was able to "back into" this logic using the first-round matchups for the oldest group last year. It might be different this year as the conferences have significantly changed. It would seem odd that the Southwest, with 17 teams only gets a single "conference winner" - same as the New England conference with 8 teams.
Based upon the groups released yesterday, this appears to be accurate. So in summary:

1) Seeds 1-10 are made up of conference winners, and seeded 1-10 based upon ppg in all games (league and showcases). For SW and OV, which both have 2 divisions within their conference, the 1st place team with the highest ppg gets the 1-10 seed.
2) The team with the next best ppg in all games (league and showcases) gets the 11 seed.
3) Teams with the next best 11 ppg in all games are randomly placed as the 2 seeds. So if you have the 12th best overall ppg, you could end up the 12 seed or you could end up the 22 seed.
4) Teams with 23-33 best ppg in all games are randomly placed as the 3 seeds.
5) Teams with the 34-44 best ppg in all games are randomly placed as the 4 seeds.
6) No groups will have 2 teams from the same conference, so if the draw for a 2, 3 or 4 seed already has a team from that conference, they draw another team.

LIVE STREAM
FYI from ECNL:

HUDL: Hudl will be on site to provide live streaming of every game at the ECNL Girls National Playoffs event. To stay involved in the action, CLICK HERE or visit https://team1sports.com/ecnl/.
This is very cool but should have been occurring for all games throughout the season.

Don't want to give leagues/clubs any ideas but I'm even ok with paying for streaming solutions per game as long as the stream is high quality.

Don't want to give leagues/clubs any ideas but I'm even ok with paying for streaming solutions per game as long as the stream is high quality.

Nobody is setting up a satellite truck for kid soccer, so it will always come down to cell network speed and availability at most locations that won't have their own outdoor wireless network. This has gotten better over time - but it's still hit or miss. Some sites will have 5G available at 500+ mbps for hundreds of cell devices. Others will have barely usable 4G with 3 mbps that slows to a crawl when more then 5 people are trying to connect at once. Streams from the former will look as good as the camera can capture, good luck with the latter.

Nobody is setting up a satellite truck for kid soccer, so it will always come down to cell network speed and availability at most locations that won't have their own outdoor wireless network. This has gotten better over time - but it's still hit or miss. Some sites will have 5G available at 500+ mbps for hundreds of cell devices. Others will have barely usable 4G with 3 mbps that slows to a crawl when more then 5 people are trying to connect at once. Streams from the former will look as good as the camera can capture, good luck with the latter.
Here's how you do it...

Bonding multiple 5G cards together makes sense, especially from different providers - comes down to the price point for the incremental improvement. Can't imagine it makes sense for individuals who balk at Veo & Trace pricing already, but perhaps there are use cases where it would make sense for a club, league, or particular location.

Bonding multiple 5G cards together makes sense, especially from different providers - comes down to the price point for the incremental improvement. Can't imagine it makes sense for individuals who balk at Veo & Trace pricing already, but perhaps there are use cases where it would make sense for a club, league, or particular location.
Just to be clear, this provides bonding for 8 5g Sim cards (8 cell phones) together in a single stream that can run off batteries + is completely portable.

Just put a front end on the stream thats $10 per game per viewer and it pays for itself in 2-3 weeks.

There's solutions available. Clubs/Leagues just need to start researching + figuring them out.

I don't see the back of the envelope math as quite so favorable. 8 data cards are going to run $300 - $500/mo. There's the cost of this gadget, plus the cost of local wireless if you're trying to connect these streams for more than one game at a time, plus whatever is used for cameras, plus the management of the streams and the monetization part on the backend. There may very well be a profit in that business, but I'm not sure what the margins would look like - and I'm pretty sure the ROI estimate of 2-3 weeks even for just this one piece is wildly optimistic.

There is baller.tv that shows up at most of the basketball tournaments we attend. It's a cell phone on a tripod, placed next to every court. They are all indoor facilities, so I was assuming they were wirelessly connecting to a fixed network from the facility rather than only using the cell network, but I don't know for sure. It looks like they do other sports as well - including the Surf Cup Olders in Del Mar and the Surf Cup Youngers in Oceanside later this summer. I wonder what the setup will be for outdoors. Subs for it aren't cheap (see below from here).

baller pricing.png

I don't see the back of the envelope math as quite so favorable. 8 data cards are going to run $300 - $500/mo. There's the cost of this gadget, plus the cost of local wireless if you're trying to connect these streams for more than one game at a time, plus whatever is used for cameras, plus the management of the streams and the monetization part on the backend. There may very well be a profit in that business, but I'm not sure what the margins would look like - and I'm pretty sure the ROI estimate of 2-3 weeks even for just this one piece is wildly optimistic.

There is baller.tv that shows up at most of the basketball tournaments we attend. It's a cell phone on a tripod, placed next to every court. They are all indoor facilities, so I was assuming they were wirelessly connecting to a fixed network from the facility rather than only using the cell network, but I don't know for sure. It looks like they do other sports as well - including the Surf Cup Olders in Del Mar and the Surf Cup Youngers in Oceanside later this summer. I wonder what the setup will be for outdoors. Subs for it aren't cheap (see below from here).

View attachment 17321
I think it depends on the club size + if you’re doing remote tournaments in the 2-3 weeks. I do admit 2-3 weeks is likely very aggressive.

Whats nice about the hardware I proposed is that you can combine sims from multiple vendors. Just shop around for the cheapest “friends and family” options that don’t run out of bandwidth. If you have to, buy extra sims to switch around during the day to keep things flowing. Or maybe have each team pay monthly for the sims themselves so they guarantee high quality streaming of their games.

I saw an older used 4 sim model selling for $600. Which means the new 8 sim versions are probably around $2000.

To clarify, it appears that it doesn't take sim cards. It looks like it takes data cards (that require a sim card in each of them). The difference is that sim cards provide the identification information to allow a cell device to connect to a network, data cards are that actual device that makes the radio connection. For a variety of reasons (that can be debated in 2023), cell providers are happy to provide sim cards to be used in cell phones with unlimited high-speed data very inexpensively - but when those same sim cards are used in a tablet or a data card - there are much stricter limits and higher prices for bandwidth.

Again, all of this may be moot depending on the location. In some cases a single cell phone hotspot will provide an awesome connection. In some cases this aggregation device would allow for a less capable location to provide higher quality networking availability, and in some cases it will be a hopeless endeavor entirely.

To clarify, it appears that it doesn't take sim cards. It looks like it takes data cards (that require a sim card in each of them).

This is turning into a tech session instead of a soccer discussion, but I realized what I wrote was incomplete. Half of their models (the ones I was looking at), do use usb interfaces to plug your own modem / datacard into to aggregate the streams. The more expensive ones with an i in the name do use straight sim cards and have included modems internally already.

A Girls 2010 thread had some questions about clubs stacking RL teams with NL players during the Championships. I dug in a little with the 2010's on that thread, then decided to look into the G2007's as well, as I keep tabs on that age group. Thought I would share the 2007 here. I compared the game rosters of the last games played in regular season of the ECRL teams and the ECNL teams to the rosters of the West Championships. Some clubs do not have an ECNL team, so those are omitted. I circled the players who appeared on the NL season roster but not on the RL season roster. Some clubs have absolutely no rosters uploaded for the West Championship. For some reason the NorCal teams don't even have rosters for the regular season games. Big failure on the part of the ECNL to either upload the rosters or ensure the clubs even submitted one. What roster did the refs verify at the game? Now there will always be a conspiracy theory about these teams with no rosters, even if they didn't do anything wrong. I understand sometimes players are injured or away and you need someone to play. I believe teams were allowed to have a maximum of three ECNL players on the roster. Placing one or two NL players on a shallow roster seems acceptable. Placing multiple NL players on a deep roster seems to be against the spirit of the competition. Not submitting a roster at all, leaves open the accusations of significant amount of NL players on the rosters.

Attachments

• Allstars 07RL Championship.jpg
    Allstars 07RL Championship.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Allstars 07RL Season.jpg
    Allstars 07RL Season.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Beach 07 ECNL Season.PNG
    Beach 07 ECNL Season.PNG
    28.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Beach 07RL Season.PNG
    Beach 07RL Season.PNG